Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

logikv9 posted:

gently caress those online access codes, gently caress them to hell

I'm extremely surprised that bookstores are just glorified merch stands but that makes a ton of sense. my school built a new bookstore in the last few years co-owned (or just straight up owned) with Barnes and Nobles, and two of the three floors are merch

We've got one of those too in the IMU, and prices are pretty much identical because except for rentals, it's all sold at cost.

There's a reason that in any college bookstore you go to, you walk through the merch to get to the books. Also merch is allotted more staff and generally pays better haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
you can usually just Google the title of the textbook and find :filez:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

For real, some rear end in a top hat is making a loving killing on textbooks but it ain't the bookstores, and I've got it on faith from 3 professors I know who authored the ones they use that it ain't them either, sooooo

Manic Technophile
Nov 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Epic High Five posted:

For real, some rear end in a top hat is making a loving killing on textbooks but it ain't the bookstores, and I've got it on faith from 3 professors I know who authored the ones they use that it ain't them either, sooooo
It's the publishers

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
this exact conversation is why college pushes all but the worst shitheads to the left, btw

this conversation right here, and none other

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Willie Tomg posted:

this exact conversation is why college pushes all but the worst shitheads to the left, btw

this conversation right here, and none other

well, this conversation and the feminazi liberal commie psyops brainwave transformers that are pumped into every dorm at night

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It's not just textbooks either. Academic journal access is a huge money sink, because even publicly funded research end up being published in privately owned journals, for the prestige factor (and that's how you keep your job as a researcher).
They're basically nothing but scientific landlords, charging rent to access the knowledge of humanity, while contributing nothing themselves.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

rudatron posted:

It's not just textbooks either. Academic journal access is a huge money sink, because even publicly funded research end up being published in privately owned journals, for the prestige factor (and that's how you keep your job as a researcher).
They're basically nothing but scientific landlords, charging rent to access the knowledge of humanity, while contributing nothing themselves.

In public university, administrative position ballooned over the past few decades while most actual teaching positions are fielded by adjunct. You see stadiums, student centers, new corporate sponsored being built while states pulling funding. Basically, very little which actually helps students.

As my Marxist professor friend of mine said, "It costs almost nothing to put 10-15 people and 1 professor in a room, but yet costs keep going up"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

rudatron posted:

don't know anything about this side of things, but wouldn't this be a departmental expense?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

NNick posted:

In public university, administrative position ballooned over the past few decades while most actual teaching positions are fielded by adjunct. You see stadiums, student centers, new corporate sponsored being built while states pulling funding. Basically, very little which actually helps students.

As my Marxist professor friend of mine said, "It costs almost nothing to put 10-15 people and 1 professor in a room, but yet costs keep going up"

Yeah, and actually it's usually like 50 students and an adjunct who is paid, no poo poo, like $22,000 a year.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Pick posted:

Yeah, and actually it's usually like 50 students and an adjunct who is paid, no poo poo, like $22,000 a year.

Right, the whole administrative apparatus is used to control and justify this. Their primary purpose is to destroy the unions.

There are also a ton of FYGM professors with tenure who couldn't give a poo poo if these schools are going to poo poo and their younger colleagues have to live out of their car.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
From what I've learned from other professors/administrators, the textbook racket goes like this: publishers and the author make the most, then the campus bookstore, then the department that requires the "special edition". The level of funding is in that order, with the departments only making a little bit. My faculty chair said it paid for the travel expenses to conferences, but I suspect *everyone* claims they don't make anything and it's the other guy that is ripping students off.

Pick posted:

I make less than $22k a year but the most students I've had in a course is 34. I had to sign a waiver to keep my job because I teach so many classes I'm now technically a full-time employee .

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

God bless you, SAuSAugEMaN

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Rand alPaul posted:

From what I've learned from other professors/administrators, the textbook racket goes like this: publishers and the author make the most, then the campus bookstore, then the department that requires the "special edition". The level of funding is in that order, with the departments only making a little bit. My faculty chair said it paid for the travel expenses to conferences, but I suspect *everyone* claims they don't make anything and it's the other guy that is ripping students off.

I make less than $22k a year but the most students I've had in a course is 34. I had to sign a waiver to keep my job because I teach so many classes I'm now technically a full-time employee .

I was told that it's a couple bucks per book to the authors, new only of course. It's not nothing to sneeze at of course, but considering the time that goes into creating it, the return can be pretty anemic

This is from a guy who runs a nationally lauded program and makes 300k/year, and I'm his favorite tech person, so I trust that he'd have no reason to lie. If it was massively profitable they'd be releasing new editions every year, but what I've noticed lately is that a lot cut special editions with University or local publishers for editions that cost like ~40 bucks. I'm under the impression that people use textbooks that they wrote not because it's profitable, but because they think nobody else in the field has a loving clue what they're talking about

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

A shitload of adjuncts are forming unions now because they're tired of being homeless between semesters and getting paid peanuts to do arguably the most important job of a university with no real security
it's too late of course, US universities are hosed for a long time

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
It took me two years until I realized that I didn't need every book, and that PDFs were (mostly) available

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

most important job is football coach actually but nice try

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Either that, or going straight to the library and doing an extended loan on the library's only copy a few days before classes started

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I worked at the library so I just gave myself indefinite loans on books, laptops, cameras etc. I was corrupt as gently caress

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

logikv9 posted:

Either that, or going straight to the library and doing an extended loan on the library's only copy a few days before classes started

I took a summer class once, borrowed the required book from the library, didn't return it until the end of the term, and the late fees were still cheaper than if I bought the book.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Epic High Five posted:

I was told that it's a couple bucks per book to the authors, new only of course. It's not nothing to sneeze at of course, but considering the time that goes into creating it, the return can be pretty anemic

This is from a guy who runs a nationally lauded program and makes 300k/year, and I'm his favorite tech person, so I trust that he'd have no reason to lie. If it was massively profitable they'd be releasing new editions every year, but what I've noticed lately is that a lot cut special editions with University or local publishers for editions that cost like ~40 bucks. I'm under the impression that people use textbooks that they wrote not because it's profitable, but because they think nobody else in the field has a loving clue what they're talking about

I've noticed the special university editions taking over. The old school I taught at has a new one every year and they have a computer code which makes the book's resale worthless. It's such a scam. The current school I'm at uses a textbook that costs like $80 and it's basically telephone book-quality paper.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

A MIRACLE posted:

I worked at the library so I just gave myself indefinite loans on books, laptops, cameras etc. I was corrupt as gently caress

don’t hate the player

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

A MIRACLE posted:

Hell yeah, gently caress low-income students that rely on those resources. :hai:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the guy who wrote the calculus textbook used by basically every university in the country, Stewart, died a few years ago and i read an obituary that made clear he was loving loaded. rich people signifiers like patron of the arts and architecture enthusiast

e: ok heres his wiki page

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Stewart_(mathematician)

quote:

In the early 2000s a house designed by Brigitte Shim and Howard Sutcliffe was constructed for Dr. Stewart in the Rosedale neighbourhood of Toronto at a cost of $32 million. He paid an additional $5.4 million for the existing house and lot which was torn down to make room for his new home.[4] Called Integral House (a reference to its curved walls, and their similarity to the mathematical integral symbol), the house includes a concert hall that seats 150. Dr. Stewart has said, "My books and my house are my twin legacies. If I hadn't commissioned the house I'm not sure what I would have spent the money on." Glenn Lowry, director of the Museum of Modern Art, called the house "one of the most important private houses built in North America in a long time."[5]

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 28, 2017

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

it’s good to be king i made $7.65 an hour

it was an annex vet hospital library that never ran out of poo poo to lend so it was hard to feel guilty

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

logikv9 posted:

It took me two years until I realized that I didn't need every book, and that PDFs were (mostly) available

i eventually made it a habit by about year 2 or 3 of flat up walking up to the professor on the first day of class and asking, "which of these books will have required reading or assignments"

i think in my final two years of uni i bought maybe three books total

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

the guy who wrote the calculus textbook used by basically every university in the country, Stewart, died a few years ago and i read an obituary that made clear he was loving loaded. rich people signifiers like patron of the arts and architecture enthusiast

e: ok heres his wiki page

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Stewart_(mathematician)

Yeah the Stewarts and the Makis of the world make bank because their books are standard for thousands of schools and don't change editions for like 5 years minimum. Finite and calculus haven't changed for like 400 years

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Epic High Five posted:

don't know anything about this side of things, but wouldn't this be a departmental expense?

usually ti's the library budget going to journal subscriptions. people in multiple departments (e.g. chem e, chemistry, materials, physics, bio) may want access to the same pool of journals (Angewandte Chemie/JACS/whatever). it's a serious strain on university library budgets.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

journal publishers are entirely parasitc rent extractors

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

NNick posted:

i worked briefly in university administration as an assistant and it is absolutely loving amazing how many fat worthless office slugs are given welfare by college administration networks

like normally I'm not the type to begrudge people earning money however they can in this hellsystem of ours, but every last one of these people were sickeningly obese, idiotic, and obsessed with personal relationships and drama and career advancement over actually helping students. that whole office could have been slashed to 10% of what it was and not lost any effectiveness

it took me a couple years to finally overcome the misogyny that that job instilled into me. it wasn't even a random fuckoff school, it was a prominent state university, one of the Public Ivies

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

america's education system is hilariously hosed up and just..... hosed up

rescuing it would necessitate burning it to the ground and starting over from scratch. but then you have to do this for 60 million kids and then welp

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Epic High Five posted:

Yeah the Stewarts and the Makis of the world make bank because their books are standard for thousands of schools and don't change editions for like 5 years minimum. Finite and calculus haven't changed for like 400 years

A colleague once picked up a 100 year old calculus book from a library sale. Not only did it have the same theory and techniques, even the word problems were identical. Pick up any book more recent than fluxions, download SAGE instead of buying a graphing calculator, and you should be good.

E: But good luck getting a syllabus approved with no required texts. Also, I just remembered the stack of at least 12 instructor copies of Stewart in our lounge left over from move-outs/retirements that no one wants. :bang:

So Math fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 28, 2017

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i don't get it, how are they rich as gently caress if their books don't change. i get that everyone uses it, but then at some point aren't there so many copies out there that new ones are rendered unnecessary?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

logikv9 posted:

i don't get it, how are they rich as gently caress if their books don't change. i get that everyone uses it, but then at some point aren't there so many copies out there that new ones are rendered unnecessary?

get a load of this: the books cost nothing to make and even college students are huge idiots

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

logikv9 posted:

Even if the content of the books don't change, the ordering and the specifics of some of the problem sets in the books do change, and if a text is a 'required text' of a course, the professor can set (graded) assignment questions by reference to one or more problems in that book.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SKULL.GIF posted:

i worked briefly in university administration as an assistant and it is absolutely loving amazing how many fat worthless office slugs are given welfare by college administration networks

like normally I'm not the type to begrudge people earning money however they can in this hellsystem of ours, but every last one of these people were sickeningly obese, idiotic, and obsessed with personal relationships and drama and career advancement over actually helping students. that whole office could have been slashed to 10% of what it was and not lost any effectiveness

it took me a couple years to finally overcome the misogyny that that job instilled into me. it wasn't even a random fuckoff school, it was a prominent state university, one of the Public Ivies
this sounds like a relative, at least on working networks to one's advantage. though i'm not sure on the details, she worked office jobs for years, went back to school in her 50s and then worked in administration and then retired. wondering if she got a pension from it.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

rudatron posted:

Even if the content of the books don't change, the ordering and the specifics of some of the problem sets in the books do change, and if a text is a 'required text' of a course, the professor can set (graded) assignment questions by reference to one or more problems in that book.

This was mentioned earlier, but the relatively new game is online access codes. A new book comes with a code you enter at the publisher's website. This code lets you enroll in the instructor's class site* hosted by the publisher. One use per code, naturally. The instructor can assign online homework problems, which are graded automatically by the publisher's server (but they are way too nitpicky with decimal points, if the coded answers are even correct to begin with).

This way, the physical textbooks are one time use only. Sometimes, you can even buy an access code to go along with a used book. Why not just run an online homework service separate from the textbooks? :capitalism:

*Instructors can literally copy/paste their sites from other people's classes, and it's just a matter of choosing problems from the book and grade weights anyway.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

SKULL.GIF posted:

Whoa hold on here, they spend fifteen minutes each day looking for a new Dilbert to put up on their office door. Some even think up new jargon-y titles to their position.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

SKULL.GIF posted:

america [...] is hilariously hosed up and just..... hosed up

rescuing it would necessitate burning it to the ground and starting over from scratch. [...]

i helped !! addition through subtraction. sometimes all a post needs is a little edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
trump!