Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

I am trying to remember literally anything about SO5's main character and I can't. He... exists? He doesn't even have a hilarious name like Fayt Linegod or Edge Maverick.

He was completely oblivious to his pink haired childhood friend's crush on him 🤔

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Getsuya posted:

I played a bunch of SaGa 3 on DS while living with my wife in the hospital for most of last week and now I am glad to shelf it. I honest to god like the original better. At least in SaGa 2 DS you could move along at a decent clip thanks to the Magi shoring up your stats, but with 3 it’s back to original FF2 territory of grinding and deliberately dragging out fights in hopes of those elusive stat ups. I spent literal hours anxiously waiting for one character to finally get a Speed increase so she could actually deal damage to creatures in the current area. Any RPG in which a battle can be literally meaningless due to no statistical growth is doing it wrong. I wish they would have just done a straight remake using the original system.

i wish the ds saga remakes weren't so bad. the wonderswan remake of saga 1 was really good, so it was frustrating jumping to saga 2 and finding out that not only did they discard a bunch of the quality of life stuff from a loving 2001 wonderswan game, but they also made stat gains go from being pretty reasonable to loving awful so i couldn't even beat the second boss

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
They also locked Defense growth behind either wasting turns using a shield or using a single weapon only available late in the game. This puts it conceptually behind the original FF2 which at least leveled your defense/evasion through taking damage. I guess they figured that made it too easy?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Getsuya posted:

They also locked Defense growth behind either wasting turns using a shield or using a single weapon only available late in the game. This puts it conceptually behind the original FF2 which at least leveled your defense/evasion through taking damage. I guess they figured that made it too easy?

jesus christ

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

SaGa fascinates the hell out of me but I don’t think I could actually play them. The only one I ever played was Frontier 2 which had gorgeous visuals but I had no idea what was going on gameplay wise

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The first FFL is relatively simple and easy to get behind and is probably why it's the only one I've beaten.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

That being said I admire Kawazu for sticking with his hosed up vision and making games based on what he wanted to do

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Pablo Gigante posted:

SaGa fascinates the hell out of me but I don’t think I could actually play them. The only one I ever played was Frontier 2 which had gorgeous visuals but I had no idea what was going on gameplay wise

makai toushi saga for the wonderswan is a really faithful remake of the first game that just adds a ton of simple qol stuff and is very simple mechanically, so that's one i can honestly rec even if you couldn't get into any of the later ones. it stops even being difficult in the second half because at some point you get a chainsaw that literally one-shots every boss

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Colonel posted:

makai toushi saga for the wonderswan is a really faithful remake of the first game that just adds a ton of simple qol stuff and is very simple mechanically, so that's one i can honestly rec even if you couldn't get into any of the later ones. it stops even being difficult in the second half because at some point you get a chainsaw that literally one-shots every boss

Is there a translation patch? And are there good WonderSwan emulators out there? Also how the gently caress did my phone know to autocorrect the capital S in WonderSwan

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Pablo Gigante posted:

Is there a translation patch? And are there good WonderSwan emulators out there? Also how the gently caress did my phone know to autocorrect the capital S in WonderSwan

yeah, it's actually a way better fan tl than saga 2 has

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/1614/

as for wonderswan emulators, i just use the wonderswan core in retroarch, which should be one of the easier ones to set up

the main thing this remake has over the original is a shortcut to the save menu and text telling you when your mutant's abilities have changed, it saves a lot of time you'd spend digging through menus to check stuff

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 27, 2017

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Colonel posted:

yeah, it's actually a way better fan tl than saga 2 has

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/1614/

as for wonderswan emulators, i just use the wonderswan core in retroarch, which should be one of the easier ones to set up

the main thing this remake has over the original is a shortcut to the save menu and text telling you when your mutant's abilities have changed, it saves a lot of time you'd spend digging through menus to check stuff

Nice thanks. I use BizHawk which apparently has a WS core so I should be good to go

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

saga frontier 2 is kind of a mess
To my understanding, Saga Frontier 1 is also kind of a mess, just in different ways than 2.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Zereth posted:

To my understanding, Saga Frontier 1 is also kind of a mess, just in different ways than 2.

It is. I find SF2 more coherent on the whole since you can handwave away some of the disjointedness as events in a historical record.

Though I think every SaGa game feels like they are missing chunks of something

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Frontier 1 was the first Saga game I played and I was not prepared

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

Frontier 1 had a portion of its budget stolen from it before it was wrapped up so they had to cut a bunch of content. Blue's story just ends during his last fight with a "The End." screen popping up with no fanfare at all halfway through the fight.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Sakurazuka posted:

Frontier 1 was the first Saga game I played and I was not prepared

It was the first one I played that I knew I was playing. I played FFL on my gameboy. Somehow, I managed to play and complete all seven paths despite starting with Lute (don't start with Lute!). Its an ambitious game, for sure. I think I like SF2 better just due to the art direction and music.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dragonturtle posted:

Frontier 1 had a portion of its budget stolen from it before it was wrapped up so they had to cut a bunch of content. Blue's story just ends during his last fight with a "The End." screen popping up with no fanfare at all halfway through the fight.
if you talk to the mages and stuff before you go down there, it's pretty clear that they're just planning to seal Blue along with the demon or whatever he's fighting, and sending him down there is just to stall. You do have to have kind of seen the ending already to realize what they're implying, though.

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

Endorph posted:

if you talk to the mages and stuff before you go down there, it's pretty clear that they're just planning to seal Blue along with the demon or whatever he's fighting, and sending him down there is just to stall. You do have to have kind of seen the ending already to realize what they're implying, though.

They expanded upon that with the essence of Saga Frontier stuff they put out later in regards to a lot of the cut content too. Apparently Rouge won the fight instead of Blue and his friends summoned him back out of hell after the fight was over because he was nicer than Blue and had made friends with others due to being willing to join them on their stories.

Dragonturtle fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 27, 2017

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Here’s a strange bit of SaGa lore I stumbled upon while looking at Wonderswan stuff. Apparently Square made a spiritual prequel to Unlimited SaGa called Wild Cards for the Wonderswan Color. It shared a lot of UnSaGas systems but everything was done with cards. It had the same staff plus the character designer/artist from FFT. Like UnSaGa its obtuse system made it unplayable without extensive guides and planning your endgame right from the start.

So whenever you think of how broken Unlimited SaGa is now, just think that was their SECOND attempt at that system.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Just beat LoH: ToCS 1 and, uh, wow, I feel like they were doing their best to suppress the anime boiling in their blood the entire game and then in the last, like, 2 hours they couldn't stand it anymore and all the built up anime poured out all over everything and the game became a mess and hilarious and I regret nothing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm not sure where the idea that trails was ever "suppressing the anime" comes from. the main villains of the series are the supervillain organization from giant robo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CubeTheory posted:

Just beat LoH: ToCS 1 and, uh, wow, I feel like they were doing their best to suppress the anime boiling in their blood the entire game and then in the last, like, 2 hours they couldn't stand it anymore and all the built up anime poured out all over everything and the game became a mess and hilarious and I regret nothing.
yeah this thing that is made by a bunch of japanese developers who have literally had anime made of their games and are insanely influenced by anime and other jrpgs and have those as like 99.9% of their inspiration was really suppressing its anime

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
isnt that one literally set in a high school

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

the main character is a teenager who just happened to get trained by a samurai despite being fantasy-white and is a master swordsman and has amnesia, and his canon love interest is a blonde-haired twintailed girl who gets mad at him over trivial things

i love trails of cold steel but i literally cant name a game that leans into anime cliches more consistently than it. the only really unique thing it does with them is having people react to them like, well, people (apologizing for misunderstandings, having sincere conversations about how said misunderstandings made them feel, being awkward about the weird circumstances of your life) and having them have actual weight and consequences in the world. Which is good writing. Cold Steel is a well-written game. But also it is absolutely giddy to include as many cliches as possible.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yup. Trails of Cold Steel is also very obviously the Legends of Heroes developers looking REAL hard at Persona 3/4 and quietly taking notes on what made them so good/popular. That's by no means a knock against the CS games though, they're very good.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
no you don't understand, i like it so it's not anime

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwRlvn1v8Ns

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i'm not sure where the idea that trails was ever "suppressing the anime" comes from. the main villains of the series are the supervillain organization from giant robo

I just moved these games a closer to the top of my backlog upon hearing that. Is there a particular sub-series that has more supervillainy than the others?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

I just moved these games a closer to the top of my backlog upon hearing that. Is there a particular sub-series that has more supervillainy than the others?
ouroboros (The villains mentioned) feature heavily in both sky 2 and cold steel 2. They're a little more prominent in Sky 2, where they're the sole villains, versus Cold Steel 2 where they're mostly working in tandem with a villain that isn't part of their organization. Sky 2 also has way more cuts to them speaking cryptically in shadow, if that's your thing.

They're barely in sky 1, and they pop up a few times in cold steel 1 but aren't really a villainous force or anything.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i got to the desert in ffx and thought "hey i remember this i wonder when i'll get to the parts of the game i don't remember from when i was 5" and then i looked up a guide for reference and realized i remembered the entire game from when i was 5

it's also bizarre because despite it having been 17 hours i feel like i haven't even gotten past the first act of the story. i've played jrpgs that have ended by this point, it actually feels slower to me than trails of cold steel and i put 80 hours into that

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Nov 28, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

idk FFX always felt pretty well-paced to me, like you barely spend more than an hour in any one area of the game for the first 30 hours and stuff is happening all along the way. It's probably one of the most well-structured Final Fantasies ever in terms of setup and payoff.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

FFX is a good FF hampered by the ridiculous ways to get the ultimate weapons. Which aren't necessary, but drat give me a dungeon + boss battle or something instead.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
goty drops tomorrow so peep this title screen

up there with the ffx one for looking like some kind of lazy photoshopped promo picture in a magazine but nope, they really did put that on there

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

exquisite tea posted:

idk FFX always felt pretty well-paced to me, like you barely spend more than an hour in any one area of the game for the first 30 hours and stuff is happening all along the way. It's probably one of the most well-structured Final Fantasies ever in terms of setup and payoff.

i mean i dunno maybe i really am just moving into the second act, the feeling i'm just getting is that i'm way closer to the end than i thought and while the game has done a bit to flesh out the characters, it still feels like the main objective in the plot has barely been fleshed out and that's giving me this weird whiplash where for all the game's done to develop the characters and all the big events and battles it's put me through, i still don't feel like the main plot has progressed that much at all. i feel like luca is the biggest mark, i think the game wanted it to be this big landmark in the world but it barely even felt like a break in the world being a huge interconnected hallway

up there with the ffx one for looking like some kind of lazy photoshopped promo picture in a magazine but nope, they really did put that on there

please report back on if the port will be worth buying for $5 in the 2020 winter steam sale

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Nov 28, 2017

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

the main character is a teenager who just happened to get trained by a samurai despite being fantasy-white and is a master swordsman and has amnesia, and his canon love interest is a blonde-haired twintailed girl who gets mad at him over trivial things

https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/933472008389533696

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

The Colonel posted:

i mean i dunno maybe i really am just moving into the second act, the feeling i'm just getting is that i'm way closer to the end than i thought and while the game has done a bit to flesh out the characters, it still feels like the main objective in the plot has barely been fleshed out and that's giving me this weird whiplash where for all the game's done to develop the characters and all the big events and battles it's put me through, i still don't feel like the main plot has progressed that much at all. i feel like luca is the biggest mark, i think the game wanted it to be this big landmark in the world but it barely even felt like a break in the world being a huge interconnected hallway

You're probably just not putting enough attention on the things that aren't the big setpieces. Like the stuff with Mushroom Rock Road/Operation Mi'hen, Guadosalam, and Macalania all absolutely advance the main plot. Like, the only part that you could say doesn't advance the main plot is Kilika stuff up until Luca, but even then that's because it's pretty much all character background/development stuff.

The world always feels like a big giant hallway, but even then Luca is still different since it's the only big city you properly visit in the game, and also had a bunch of poo poo go down, which is why it's usually what people remember as a "big important place" plot wise.

I still like my other JRPG series's and stuff, but upon revisiting FFX this year, it still does keep the main plot pace up way better than most others imo. Maybe you just don't like hallway simulators

edit: or maybe you just didn't remember how short FFX's plot is. Cause it really isn't very long

Ventana fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Nov 28, 2017

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

exquisite tea posted:

The first five hours before your party sets off are really slow though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

should've taken off the subtitle entirely and just called it STAR OCEAN 4K