Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

BMS posted:

What a fuckin' putz.

I thought failing upwards was relegated to the rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

You've not mentioned the trigger for this new wave of panic at all. Could be ads being pulled, it could be ad unfriendly flags, it could be some banning, content ID, anything at all.

It seems to be coming down to what's being call adpocalypse 2.0 wherein more major advertisers have pulled out of youtube due to very inappropriate content involving kids, including predatory comments.

How this effects those that only use twitch for income, I have no idea but it definitely effects those that rely on youtube since the chances of making money have even further decreased if your videos don't get falsely flagged first.

Doseku fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 25, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Doseku posted:

It seems to be coming down to what's being call adpocalypse 2.0 wherein more major advertisers have pulled out of youtube due to very inappropriate content involving kids, including predatory comments.

How this effects those that only use twitch for income, I have no idea but it definitely effects those that rely on youtube since the chances of making money have even further decreased if your videos don't get falsely flagged first.

Eh, most of the people making enough ad revenue to matter also supplement via Patreon, some making way more than enough to live off of from Patreons alone, along with the amount of sponsorships they could take. It's just overreaction as always.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Well, keep in mind that if the ad revenue dries up, Google itself may decide to pull the plug on the platform. When its users are getting their money through an outside company, Google doesn't get a cut of it, and they're not going to keep a platform around if there's no profit in it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I don't see that happening in the near future. Even if it does, alternate hosting and streaming is still a thing. Everything is fine still and will stay that way for those relevant enough for this to matter unless they are inflexible or incompetent.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Unfortunately, everything isn't just fine, and these changes hit more people than LPers you love to hate.

Steep declines in ad revenues for good, relevant content producers on YT are a thing, and it's not that simple to say everyone effected can just replace passive ad revenues with active subscription revenues through means like Patreon. YT has a huge user base of a size that really can't be beaten by anyone else. Given the recent changes (like not being able to include external links unless your video is monetized, and the ability to monetize being determined by rather brain-dead algorithms, as well as the trend of hiding videos with certain types of content), we're going to probably see less innovation and more homogenization of content and presentation style as some people give up and others try to shift their style to whatever it is Google/YT/Alphabet want today.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I kinda wonder why YouTube hasn't just implemented a Patreon-style system into the site.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Jamesman posted:

I kinda wonder why YouTube hasn't just implemented a Patreon-style system into the site.

They probably will, given the apparent success of that platform. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw that sometime Q2 next year.

e. vvv well, there ya go.

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 27, 2017

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Youtube are actually testing a "sponsorship" feature where you can sponsor a channel for $5 a month.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Wiseblood posted:

Youtube are actually testing a "sponsorship" feature where you can sponsor a channel for $5 a month.

Google's cut will be 51% of that at least,I'd be willing to bet.

EDIT:

senrath posted:

I mean Twitch's cut is 50%, so that wouldn't be surprising.

After a couple of months in the program, a good portion of accounts will be flagged for "Invalid Sponsorship Activity", after which, they will still be allowed to stream, upload content & have sponsorship's, only 100% of the sponsor amount will then go to Google.

There, that actually sounds more accurate.

BMS fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 27, 2017

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

BMS posted:

Google's cut will be 51% of that at least,I'd be willing to bet.

I mean Twitch's cut is 50%, so that wouldn't be surprising.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

BMS posted:

After a couple of months in the program, a good portion of accounts will be flagged for "Invalid Sponsorship Activity", after which, they will still be allowed to stream, upload content & have sponsorship's, only 50% of the sponsor amount will then go to Nintendo.

ftfy

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
cool, nobody should have ever been able to make money off of playing video games on the internet and I'm happy Google and Nintendo are finally cutting off that revenue stream

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
They will then change the ToS to make using linking to an off-site sponsorship service account a violation.

This sort of thing is kind of why people were so concerned when the also-ran video hosts all died off.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Suspicious Dish posted:

cool, nobody should have ever been able to make money off of playing video games on the internet and I'm happy Google and Nintendo are finally cutting off that revenue stream

Are you being serious or sarcastic?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
100% serious

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
How dare you impose judgement upon the free market

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
:bisonyes:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
here's the thing. i don't care how much production budget you put into your let's plays, the game developers put more of their time & energy into it or else you wouldn't make it the centerpiece of your video. if you're good enough to be doing your own thing you don't need to be relying on someone else's game for material and then you can make your own money fair and square.

the usual exceptions are the "fair use" ones: reviews, criticism, parody, etc. you might deserve it in that case but youtube's gonna beat you up and take your lunch money anyway and what are you gonna do?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

So what you're saying is fire all critics and reviewers of all kinds. :confused:

Edit: Because otherwise it seems like a picky grudge to just poo poo on the people playing games and everything to make some money, but it's okay if it's MST3K and people like that or someone doing book readings and such.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Nov 28, 2017

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
i put in that ninja edit to stop exactly that kind of snarky remark but it looks like the ninja has become the ninjee

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Suspicious Dish posted:

here's the thing. i don't care how much production budget you put into your let's plays, the game developers put more of their time & energy into it or else you wouldn't make it the centerpiece of your video. if you're good enough to be doing your own thing you don't need to be relying on someone else's game for material and then you can make your own money fair and square.

the usual exceptions are the "fair use" ones: reviews, criticism, parody, etc. you might deserve it in that case but youtube's gonna beat you up and take your lunch money anyway and what are you gonna do?

What If I exclusively lets play bottom of the barrel crap from gamejolt

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
they say the law is full of contradictions, my friend

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Yardbomb posted:

Edit: Because otherwise it seems like a picky grudge to just poo poo on the people playing games and everything to make some money, but it's okay if it's MST3K and people like that or someone doing book readings and such.

... you do know they paid the original people to use that movie, right? the reason they used lovely sci-fi movies was because they could get broadcast rights on the cheap

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
But what if we just do let's play for free and for fun? I think that's a pretty cool thing to do.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
:same:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
What about speedrunners? They pull off technically impressive stuff in an entertaining manner, and it's hard to really replicate that outside video games.

I kinda relate general game streamers to sitcoms. There's a lot of terrible ones that probably don't deserve the views/money they get, but there's a few that are good that put effort into things and/or have natural charisma and can make anything charming. And of course who is "deserving" is a huge manner of debate depending on one's tastes, and I doubt even this thread would ever come to consensus on which streamers are "good".

Streaming's really not my thing, but if people enjoy watching and funding them, then who gives a poo poo what I think?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
More serious opinion: if you can make money with a let's play then all power to you. Don't rely on it as anything stable. When YouTube and Twitch decides to gently caress you over because of algorithm changes or policy updates (and it's a when, not an if) or Nintendo coming to collect their dues because they made all the interesting content in your video, don't complain, just realize the rodeo is over. Pack your bags and move on.

You aren't entitled to make money and you have no power in the relationship and you don't have a legal leg to stand on. Eventually we will have things like standard broadcast license rates for games and eventually you will have to pay them.

I am happy all these companies are shaking down content creators who don't understand this.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Suspicious Dish posted:

Don't complain, just realize the rodeo is over. Pack your bags and move on.

You aren't entitled to make money and you have no power in the relationship and you don't have a legal leg to stand on. Eventually we will have things like standard broadcast license rates for games and eventually you will have to pay them.

I am happy all these companies are shaking down content creators who don't understand this.

What has to break in a person to have an opinion like this, jesus christ dude, please vigorously fellate the multi-billionaires harder. What's with some people that seemingly get this giant hardon off the ultra rich once again stomping on people who most times are barely making an okay living at best off streaming and stuff, like oh no, the giant corporation's intellectual property is ever so microscopically under attack, those plebes should know their place!

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Nov 28, 2017

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Mega64 posted:

What about speedrunners? They pull off technically impressive stuff in an entertaining manner, and it's hard to really replicate that outside video games.

I don't think anyone would have the balls to touch the GDQ crowd, because who the gently caress wants to be known as the company who shut down cancer fundraising?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Yardbomb posted:

What has to break in a person to have an opinion like this, jesus christ dude, please vigorously fellate the multi-billionaires harder. Like what's with some of you people that seemingly get this giant hardon off the ultra rich once again stomping on people who most times are barely making an okay living at best off streaming and stuff.

I'm not saying that this is a good system, I'm saying this is how YouTube works and if you don't like it, tough luck??? Content creators need to get through their system that YouTube doesn't give a poo poo about supporting them because it's a quantity play. One creator drops out? I'm sure the suggestion algorithm has 20 other let's players your fan base will flock to.

Online advertising is hosed and Google has systematically managed to get all the profit on ads while sites continually get less and less money. Twitch is fine riding on DAUs and don't have to turn a profit under Amazon for quite some time. But when they start needing to make money, you betcha they'll be dropping payout rates to streamers.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
hey, it's the trimestral That Guy with the polemic and strong take of "people shouldn't make moneys on a 'fake job'"

people really do become their parents

Honestly though, you're saying something that a LOT of the content creators have already realized. It's why people have flocked to Patreon, Twitch, why they're selling merch and doing cons, all that stuff. I'unno how many big-name content creators are making most of their money through ad-revenue alone. I think the complaining nowadays is more about how INCONSISTENT that system is, since these changes usually are knee-jerk reactions to something ELSE being exploited in the system.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I liken it to the supermarket that features an "Employee of the Month" and gives the award to Bob, the owner's nephew, every month without fail. There's a reward that ultimately doesn't affect money, but the fact that it exists and consistently favors someone clearly undeserving hurts everyone's morale and shows how tone-deaf the management is. Even if the people whose videos get flagged aren't losing any money from it, the very idea that Youtube has an algorithm that demotes content by subject and promotes garbage like those knockoff cartoons about Disney characters both discourages the people creating the thoughtful content and demonstrates how little Youtube cares about hosting them. It's all well and good to say that making non-gaming videos is a superior endeavor, but the platform actively works against that.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Hey if we're still on this subject, here's a link to the New Yorker article I mentioned before. Don't forget to check the sidebar for 'Where Millennials Come From!'

(If the subject ever comes up in casual conversation, I find it's easier to just describe that one Far Side cartoon with the parents dreaming of 'we need this princess rescued/goombas stomped' classified ads in their son's future and saying "this is real now, but just like every other 'dream job' it turns out to be a lot more of a hassle than you'd expect.")

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Yardbomb posted:

What has to break in a person to have an opinion like this, jesus christ dude, please vigorously fellate the multi-billionaires harder. What's with some people that seemingly get this giant hardon off the ultra rich once again stomping on people who most times are barely making an okay living at best off streaming and stuff, like oh no, the giant corporation's intellectual property is ever so microscopically under attack, those plebes should know their place!

Can't the same be applied to smaller developers? Why does this only adhere to large companies?

If I make a product that doesn't sell well enough for the time I put in to be profitable, even if it has merit to stand on its own. Then people make video content (and decent money for effort involved) involving my product, should I be grateful for exposure?

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Yardbomb posted:

Well, some time ago an indie dev pointed out that PewDiePie played one of his games and Pewds got more from the ad revenue on that video than the dev did in sales for the game with the dev getting no piece of that ad revenue. Sure, it probably netted him a spike in sales, but is that really a fair exchange? This was before the "adpocalypse" but I think it illustrates Suspicious Dish's point a bit better on where this kind of setup is unfair to where the dev is the little guy in the situation.

And I agree making money on video games feels like it'll inevitably stop/change drastically as companies realize there's additional revenue to be had there. But I dont think it justifies the prevalent hardline attitude this subforum had towards monetization for years because hey why not make $13, everyone here probably uses ad blocker anyway.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Voxx posted:

If I make a product that doesn't sell well enough for the time I put in to be profitable, even if it has merit to stand on its own. Then people make video content (and decent money for effort involved) involving my product, should I be grateful for exposure?
Assuming its being played by someone who's good at demonstrating what makes the game fun, isn't that exactly the kind of exposure you would want? You gotta get the word out somehow, and Steam sure as hell isn't very good at that on its own.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

judge reinhold posted:

Well, some time ago an indie dev pointed out that PewDiePie played one of his games and Pewds got more from the ad revenue on that video than the dev did in sales for the game with the dev getting no piece of that ad revenue. Sure, it probably netted him a spike in sales, but is that really a fair exchange? This was before the "adpocalypse" but I think it illustrates Suspicious Dish's point a bit better on where this kind of setup is unfair to where the dev is the little guy in the situation.

I mean, this is also probably a borderline case and these are DEFINITELY not the kind of developers YT/Google are concerned about. I mean, for that to happen it would probably be an indie game selling 1000 copies at $5 against a video from THE BIGGEST NAME ON YOUTUBE. It feels like a weird false equivalency that doesn't really have much to add to the debate and just kinda deflects poo poo towards content creators, sorry to be rude, but it really does.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
These changes are also hurting more than just videogame nerds, so saying anyone negatively affecting is just lazy/a thief/stupid/mysterious vice x is shallowly-conceived response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Honestly, I just think there isn't enough of a demand for LPers to have them all live off of ad revenue especially when so many of them are of mediocre to terrible quality. YouTube still doesn't actually make a profit for Google. People forget how expensive it actually it is to host all this video content. The pre-adpocalypse situation was an unsustainable bubble.