Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/suckmyvols/status/935345651084349440

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Mahoning posted:

They’re not buying out Campbell. They’re still paying Bo Pelini and now they owe Mike Riley $8M.

Seriously though, the not-too-farfetched theory is that Bill Moos, who did not confirm nor deny he was there, closed the deal w/ Frost in Philly when UCF played Temple on the 18th.

I posted as much this morning, but since this drat thing moves so fast, I think if he planned to stay at UCF he would've done everyone a solid by now and stated his intent to remain in Orlando. Still waiting with bated breath until it's done, of course.

nachos posted:

Plan B(ert)

A reporter asked Moos at the Riley-is-fired press conference on Saturday RE: Bielema. His response: "Don't know him."

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 28, 2017

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Florida International has a slightly-used Butch Davis for sale

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

I’m Bobfather

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mahoning posted:

They’re not buying out Campbell. They’re still paying Bo Pelini and now they owe Mike Riley $8M.

So what? They have a shitload of money. It doesn’t matter though; they’re getting Frost.

wandler20 posted:

Is Sumlin really that bad? He seems like he did what he should do at A&M. Would he be a good fit at a place like ASU?

I don’t think he’s bad but he never really lived up the first year or got better, his teams seemed to underachieve relative to recruiting rankings, he could never figure out QB after Manziel left, and it seemed like they were constantly starting all freshmen and sophomores because of transfers or failures in development. A&M also has insane money and is a place that could actually chase big names.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

vikingstrike posted:

I’m Bobfather

Seriously though 2.0 If I had any idea which dumb messageboard this came from I'd offer to buy this guy an SA account, for this is a Good Post.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

new name in the asu rumor mill: herm edwards

edit: and tony dungy

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

hifi posted:

(extremely circa 2010 TFF posting voice) PERM EDWARDS

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

hifi posted:

Herm would be the ultimate motivator, but he wasn't a good coach to begin with and has been out of football for nearly a decade. I can't see him having any success.

I don't think he or Dungy would give up the easy checks they get now.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Mahoning posted:

How many “just kidding!” coaching hires have there been? I can think of Schiano, Mike Haywood, and George O’Leary off the top of my head.

By the way, how quaint is “lied on his resume” nowadays? And how about the irony that George O’Leary is the best coaching hire Notre Dame has made in 30+ years?

Chip Kelly was going to be the Bucs head coach, backed out, and they in turn hired Greg Schiano.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Yeah at this point it would be a huge shock if Frost isn't Nebraska's new coach come Saturday. Both sides are being way too coy about it for it to be anything else.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I'm sure there's precedent for a program and a coach to sit on such an announcement for several days like Nebraska and Frost (knocks on wood) are doing, but I'm drawing a blank on examples.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Frost wants to coach in the AAC championship game, and announcing now would make that more complicated. It will be announced on Sunday.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Yeah the only Frost isn't announced on Sunday is if chaos reigns and UCF ends up in the playoff.

Big Piece O Shit
Jan 30, 2006

Florida State is going to take a ride on the Lane Train.

In Florida news, I saw corroboration on Gonzales and Hevesy being offered jobs, presumably reprising their roles as co-OC's. If you had to pinpoint the beginning of the end of the Meyer era at UF, it was probably when he named Addazio as the new OC to replace Mullen instead of Gonzo. Gonzo was slighted by that decision, left for LSU, and UF's offense has been a trash fire ever since.

The Grantham offer is being disputed -- I guess it's still up in the air if Shannon is staying or not.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Real Name Grover posted:

I'm sure there's precedent for a program and a coach to sit on such an announcement for several days like Nebraska and Frost (knocks on wood) are doing, but I'm drawing a blank on examples.

Mississippi State didn't take Dan Mullen officially until after the BCS Championship game he was in against Florida.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

hifi posted:

I know the local media keeps bringing up Ray Anderson’s NFL ties, but either of these would be a disaster of a hire.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Dungy will be too busy campaigning for his Pro Football HOF spot (and/or donating to anti-LGBT causes) to do any actual coaching or recruiting

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

E: nevermind im just having a meltdown

maxallen fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Nov 28, 2017

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Real Name Grover posted:

Saban to Bama?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

maxallen posted:

E: nevermind im just having a meltdown

I saw what you originally wrote, and I kind of feel the same way. I am hoping this ends soon so we can just move on. Right now our recruiting class is burning after being top 10, and the early signing day is less than a month.

Is the national media right that Tennessee made a mistake by rejecting Schiano? It is weird most message boards are like Tennessee should of never considered him, but the national media loves him.

Also the thing about Cut is no surprise there. Even if this weekend didn't happen and Tennessee was a good shape we wouldn't come. By most accounts of people who know him he is happy in Durham and will retire there. Tennessee did try to hire him after Kiffin and he wanted the job, but we refused to take his all assistants. That was the last gasp of him ever coming back to Tennessee. I think that Tennessee purposely put that story out there so they can say at least they tried. It will make it easier for us to swallow whatever we end up with.

Funny #1 name on message boards this morning (yesterday was Tee Martin) is Lane Kiffin. If there was ever a time a lot of the fanbase would accept him back it would be now. Still I don't think Currie can risk such a controversial hire after after the disaster. I would like to see us go with Kevin Steele in the end. He worked for Majors in the 80's and I think it is time for him to give it a go. The only negative is if he was hired what does he do about this weekend and if Auburn wins after that? We need a coach on campus on now to save the team and the recruiting class.

Edit: Well I just saw this pop up. As for Kiffin himself has tweeted more about Tennessee (mostly trolling, but other times not) in the last few days than his own team. I just counted 11 Tennessee related tweets in the last 2 days. I think he would come back, but its not happening.

https://twitter.com/mpoole3/status/935489586247151616

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Nov 28, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

nate fisher posted:

Funny #1 name on message boards this morning (yesterday was Tee Martin) is Lane Kiffin. If there was ever a time a lot of the fanbase would accept him back it would be now. Still I don't think Currie can risk such a controversial hire after after the disaster. I would like to see us go with Kevin Steele in the end. He worked for Majors in the 80's and I think it is time for him to give it a go. The only negative is if he was hired what does he do about this weekend and if Auburn wins after that? We need a coach on campus on now to save the team and the recruiting class.

Kevin Steele had a horrendous run as Baylor's head coach, but that's a hard place to win, especially back then when they weren't really putting much money into the program. He seemed like a good guy, I've always kind of wanted to see him get another chance. Tennessee might be more than he could handle though.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Nov 28, 2017

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I dont really have anything to add except you dudes that are saying Cutcliff is old as hell and should retire soon - he’s younger than Saban.

Saban is old as hell and should retire

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'd be down to ride the Lane Train one more time. I think he's the best option to come in given the current climate. I think Tee Martin will be a good coach someday but he is definitely not ready for a huge program like Tennessee. I don't know if the fans can give him 2-3 years to learn and grow into the role like he will need. They'd have to put a good staff around him.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is this what battered wife syndrome looks like? Lane Kiffin? Really?

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

I find it funny that people had such a problem with Schiano's past, but have no problem with Lane Kiffin who hired Kendal loving Briles.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Joey Freshwater posted:

I always thought Kiffin coming back would make a great story, but it would never happen. It was fantasy and his success here go swing violently one way or other. While I believe it is still close to impossible, it looks a lot more possible after Sunday. I think the fanbase would get behind it, but boosters and admin? Nah.

It would be worth it just to see this guy's reaction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYAsxnRaTAg

God I wish I wasn't a Tennessee fan so I could fully enjoy the chaos instead of being stressed by it.

korrandark posted:

I find it funny that people had such a problem with Schiano's past, but have no problem with Lane Kiffin who hired Kendal loving Briles.

You know I didn't know this? Not good. Still in the fantasy world where this happens I can't imagine in anyway Briles coming with Kiffin. Tennessee has too much baggage in that department. That said why did Kiffin even hire him?

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 28, 2017

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

I always thought Kiffin coming back would make a great story, but it would never happen. It was fantasy and his success here go swing violently one way or other. While I believe it is still close to impossible, it looks a lot more possible after Sunday. I think the fanbase would get behind it, but boosters and admin? Nah.

It would be worth it just to see this guy's reaction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYAsxnRaTAg

God I wish I wasn't a Tennessee fan so I could fully enjoy the chaos instead of being stressed by it.

It wouldn’t be a great story, it’d be a loving footnote in any game we ever played in ever. You sure you want to hear “oh ho remember that time Lane left in the middle of the night and Tennessee begged him back a few years later” every single game?

Also this

korrandark posted:

gently caress Lane Kiffin, I dont want him anywhere near Knoxville. I enjoy his personality and watching him from afar but I don’t want him as HC and it blows me away to see people seriously calling for him to come back. It’s funny to joke about but now it’s taken a weird turn where people are actually serious.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

nate fisher posted:

You know I didn't know this? Not good. Still in the fantasy world where this happens I can't imagine in anyway Briles coming with Kiffin. Tennessee has too much baggage in that department. That said why did Kiffin even hire him?

They're scoring like 70 points per game

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://www.theringer.com/2017/11/27/16706504/greg-schiano-university-tennessee-rutgers-national-media-reaction-misguided

Good article about your earlier question nate fisher

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Mahoning posted:

Saban to Bama?

I suppose. The early signing period renders this sort of thing all but impossible these days (or so we think it will)

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

This is a good article. I think Schiano is getting a raw deal based on second hand accounts from that Penn State poo poo and I get that in today's world you have to consider the PR ramifications of decisions. With that said, he's a literal piece of poo poo and an rear end in a top hat so I'm totally on board with everyone railroading him even if he didn't witness kiddy diddlin.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I probably don't need to tell any of ya'll to listen to Shutdown Fullcast, but they also nailed the whole thing on their most recent pod.

https://twitter.com/ShutdownFullcas/status/935138485064945664

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Didn't you hear he's a good Christian white family man?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I can't wait to have a daughter and become immune to all criticism

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If they turn around and hire Kiffin and the fanbase accepts it (and it seems like most would, even here) it pretty much proves everyone who said that fans just didn’t like Schiano as a coach and were using the Sandusky stuff as an excuse right.

Also not that it matter because I think he’s a garbage person who shouldn’t get the job anyway but there’s a pretty good chance Kiffin without Briles running his offense still sucks as a head coach.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 28, 2017

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

How about I not feel bad for Schiano while also not applauding the fanbase?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Mahoning posted:

How about I not feel bad for Schiano while also not applauding the fanbase?

I don’t care what you do.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/lane_kiffin/status/935510649957961729

BOYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

MourningView posted:

If they turn around and hire Kiffin and the fanbase accepts it (and it seems like most would, even here) it pretty much proves everyone who said that fans just didn’t like Schiano as a coach and were using the Sandusky stuff as an excuse right.

Also not that it matter because I think he’s a garbage person who shouldn’t get the job anyway but there’s a pretty good chance Kiffin without Briles running his offense still sucks as a head coach.

I just did some reading up on Briles (I knew about the father, but not son's part). Now this whole thing kind of took the fun out of Kiffin back to Tennessee. No way they can allow that after what happen with Schiano. In recent scandals Baylor's scandal is only second to Penn State's scandal (which is the worse one of all time).

Still this tweet by Lane makes me love Twitter Lane lol

https://twitter.com/Lane_Kiffin/status/935515189285400576

• Locked thread