Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

JeffersonClay posted:

If you’re going to make silly unfounded accusations, you should at least go for the gold and make them about rape or slavery.

do you ever reflect on your posting and realize that even people who disagree on almost everything else still agree that you're a shithead, or is that too much mental work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Even the densest kind of dumbshit ought to realize that playing the martyr card after doubling down on his dumbshittery isn't the way to go here, but JC never ceases to amaze.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Koalas March posted:

I love how yall always find a way to blame black people for some dumb poo poo

Really all these old rich white dudes who be rapin' are products of gangsta culture as promoted by rap music.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

JeffersonClay posted:

Resignations are designed to reduce both media scrutiny and the incentives for additional victims to come forward. Investigations of sitting senators are more visible and important than investigations of no-longer-senators. And in this case, it’s not at all clear that a senate investigation would actually happen if Franken resigns first.

Your whole argument is based on the premise that Democrats would never ever try to protect a powerful senator from facing the consequences of sexual assault, remember? So which is it.

If Democratic politicians are as cynical as this, we should pressure them to demand his resignation now while the outrage is fresh rather than months from now after a perfunctory investigation by people who you now acknowledge will try to bury it all the first chance they get.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

JeffersonClay posted:

I’d caution against relying on NFS to credibly recount literally anything, but particularly anything centered around race or identity.

I don’t think it’s all that likely that Warren and Sanders don’t want Franken to resign. I think it’s more likely that they want him to resign and see putting him through a rigorous senate investigation as the best way to achieve that outcome. And I don’t think they’re wrong, because a rigorous investigation in the senate could have other benefits in addition to Franken’s resignation.

Yes, I am making the assumption that Democratic politicians like Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren are actually interested in punishing sexual predators. No, harming Franken “even more” is not the benefit of doing that investigation. I don’t think you have any firm grasp of the argument here, or if you do you’re too intimidated to engage with it.

Not just the greater good, for the good of the victims who have already identified themselves and for the good of victims who want to identify themselves but worry about being isolated and attacked. There’s strength in numbers here. Each victim that identifies herself makes life easier for the other victims. You’re actually telling the victims who’ve spoken out that their lives have been destroyed and they shouldn’t expect any help or solidarity from anyone else. gently caress that.

Your tone here, whether you realize it or not, is that all victims should stay quiet because their lives will be destroyed if they speak out. And even if they’re one of many victims the’ll be left to shoulder the burden alone because the other victims will never choose to destroy their own lives and society has no obligation to attempt to make it less likely they remain silent. Monstrous?

This hilariously sanctimonious rant is all contingent on the idea that Franken staying in office and getting to keep his committee appointments and party membership is somehow more supportive of his victims than if he were promptly kicked out following his confession that he groped and sexually assaulted multiple women.

The fact that even the people who usually hang around here taking pot shots at the Bernout crew are sitting this one out or actively telling you what a horrendous rear end in a top hat you are should really be a hint about just how far up your own rear end you managed to crawl on this particular occasion.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Yo JC let me lay it down for ya

People who commit sexual assault should resign and if they won't, then they should be fired. That's all there is to it, my good bitch.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Kind of love seeing the ‘impure’ label bandied about now for going after sexual predators, almost as if it’s a mindless feel-good catchphrase when you need to shill for the party.

No, that’s a lie, I don’t love it and there’s nothing left to love.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

We don't have to discriminate when it comes to sexual predators. There's enough room in the guillotine for Franken too.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I mean there is an honest reason why you wouldn't want to go through a Senate investigation: it would eventually get buried among dozens of other scandals and at best he would get censured in exchange for some political concession (which would most likely be at the expense of the public). Also, there is a stark contrast between the man Franken acted like back in the 2000s, when he was one of the most vocal and stinging critics of the right, and what he has become today.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The unintentionally amusing part of this is that through typical democrat hurf-durfing and lefty infighting, Al Franken, Giant of the Senate, is going to become the face of DC sexual harassment in a Washington where pedophile Roy Moore is probably about to be elected and grab-them-by-the-pussy-you-can-do-anything-when-you're-famous Donald Trump is President and Roger Ailes recently died after paying out millions to quiet allegations and so on. Evil will always win because good is dumb.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

ReindeerF posted:

The unintentionally amusing part of this is that through typical democrat hurf-durfing and lefty infighting, Al Franken, Giant of the Senate, is going to become the face of DC sexual harassment in a Washington where pedophile Roy Moore is probably about to be elected and grab-them-by-the-pussy-you-can-do-anything-when-you're-famous Donald Trump is President and Roger Ailes recently died after paying out millions to quiet allegations and so on. Evil will always win because good is dumb.

i wouldn't exactly call the dems "good" when they refuse to clean house

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

ReindeerF posted:

Evil will always win because good is dumb.

If the dems are the best you can must on the "good" side then it deserves to lose.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

ReindeerF posted:

"We should be more like the Republicans and elect sex predators to office and defend them when their sexual predation comes to light."

This is an extremely dumb post, ReindeerF.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

Your whole argument is based on the premise that Democrats would never ever try to protect a powerful senator from facing the consequences of sexual assault, remember? So which is it.

The senate ethics committee has never, as far as I can tell, launched an investigation into someone who’s not a sitting senator. What you’re suggesting is unprecedented and might well be unconstitutional. So yeah, I don’t have any problem asserting that if Franken resigns before the investigation begins then an investigation is less likely.

Helsing posted:

This hilariously sanctimonious rant is all contingent on the idea that Franken staying in office and getting to keep his committee appointments and party membership is somehow more supportive of his victims than if he were promptly kicked out following his confession that he groped and sexually assaulted multiple women.

If you don’t like sanctimonious rants then stop posting them? I’m not arguing that Franken keep his position, but keep on flailing at that strawman. It’s more than a little humorous that you continue to assert that the victims don’t care about getting additional victims to speak out, and only care about Franken’s immediate removal, when the only victim who has commented on that choice has expressed precisely the opposite preference.

botany posted:

do you ever reflect on your posting and realize that even people who disagree on almost everything else still agree that you're a shithead, or is that too much mental work

Our interaction in this thread so far has been: You falsely claimed I’d advocated for something, I told you to back up your false assertion or politely apologize, you failed to back up your false assertion, and then you start sniping a few pages later about how nobody likes me. I’m assuming you’re not modeling non-shitheaded posting technique?

Koalas March posted:

Yo JC let me lay it down for ya

People who commit sexual assault should resign and if they won't, then they should be fired. That's all there is to it, my good bitch.

What have I posted that indicates I disagree with this, bae? Like I’m arguing that Democrats are in the process of forcing Franken from his seat by demanding an ethics investigation.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

JeffersonClay posted:

What have I posted that indicates I disagree with this, bae?
\

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Decorum i scream as everything is taken from me.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

JeffersonClay posted:

What have I posted that indicates I disagree with this, bae?

[the yikes emoticon, but every time JC posts it grows]

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

why did you call koalas march bae thats so loving weird haha

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Koalas March posted:

my good bitch.

Just following her lead

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

JeffersonClay posted:

Just following her lead

\

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think we've found the guy physically incapable of not doubling down in JC.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

JC

wrinkled note from 8th grade posted:

Do you like me?

_ Yes

_ No

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

its amazing how you constantly find new ways to make it apparent how absolutely repulsive you are in every way JC :stare:

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

JeffersonClay posted:

You’re claiming that these victims want Franken immediately removed from power but that’s not actually true. Leeann Tweeden doesn’t want him to resign. She does want more victims to come forward.

https://www.thecut.com/2017/11/al-franken-accuser-leeann-tweeden-resign-comments.html

I dunno maybe actually listen to the victims rather than using them as cudgels?

you really have no morals or shame do you

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/360709-woman-who-accused-franken-says-she-accepts-his-apology posted:

She said it's up to Congress to decide if it wants to have an ethics investigation into Franken's behavior, adding that she isn’t calling for Franken to step down, unless more women come forward.

guess what! more women came forward!

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Maybe...

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
These are some seriously bad and creepy posts even by JC standards :stare:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Koalas March posted:

JC

quote:

wrinkled note from 8th grade posted:
Do you like me?

_ Yes

_ No

Would not have pegged you for a george strait fan.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Would not have pegged you for a george strait fan.

I just like to know where people stand!

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

ReindeerF posted:

Where does Conyers fit on this particular scale of moral relativism?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

JeffersonClay posted:

The senate ethics committee has never, as far as I can tell, launched an investigation into someone who’s not a sitting senator. What you’re suggesting is unprecedented and might well be unconstitutional. So yeah, I don’t have any problem asserting that if Franken resigns before the investigation begins then an investigation is less likely.

Wtf are you talking about. The senate can investigate anything it wants.

Do you actually think it's illegal for the senate to investigate a private citizen (:abuela:?) or are you just making up whatever sounds good for your argument in the moment without regard for reality, conflicting things you've said previously, etc.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

VitalSigns posted:

Wtf are you talking about. The senate can investigate anything it wants.

Do you actually think it's illegal for the senate to investigate a private citizen (:abuela:?) or are you just making up whatever sounds good for your argument in the moment without regard for reality, conflicting things you've said previously, etc.

the senate can investigate pretty much anything it wants, but the senate ethics committee can't. their jurisdiction is exclusive to members, officers and employees of the senate, according to their website.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Still nothing stopping the committee from investigating the rest of the Senate after Franken resigns.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

And?

If the Democrats really want to fully investigate Franken to, as JC claims, expose and take down the patriarchy, the Senate can still do it if he resigns it just wouldn't be the ethics committee doing it.

If they would just go "oh well nevermind then" after he resigns then they're obviously not actually dedicated to exposing and taking down the patriarchy, so their motivation for preserving an admitted sex abuser in his high position of power and influence is clearly not that.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Why would you call someone you're trying to condescend to bae

The correct term is obviously boo

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

gowb posted:

Why would you call someone you're trying to condescend to bae

The correct term is obviously boo

anyone who hasn't figured out by now that dude has no clue what he's talking about

well they deserve commendation for completely ignoring a lovely poster

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

looks like JC got fired

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Anyone who’s listened to Garrison Keillor’s Guy Noir skits on Prairie Home Companion, where Keillor basically plays himself and his character creeps on various femme fatale/innocent-type female characters, should be completely unsurprised by this news. Good riddance to one more weird jackass.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
This is gonna sound crazy, but even when someone has done bad things I don't think it's productive or helpful to lie about other things they've done and pointing out when that is happening isn't a defense of the person.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/935881865269055489

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Nevvy Z posted:

This is gonna sound crazy, but even when someone has done bad things I don't think it's productive or helpful to lie about other things they've done and pointing out when that is happening isn't a defense of the person.

yeah, everyone on the forums just misunderstands your best friend JC :qq:

• Locked thread