Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Or loving smear Vaseline on the lens like the fuckhead you are. Christ that photo sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Or loving smear Vaseline on the lens like the fuckhead you are. Christ that photo sucks.

It's not even a good pinhole photo, one advantage of pinhole photography is that most things come out relatively sharp as long as you get your focal length right within a few percent. This suggests they've deliberately made their lovely thing shittier on purpose.

e: it *might* be motion blur but it hadn't occured to me anyone would be stupid enough to try and handhold a >1s exposure.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Or they think novelty effects are a replacement for any kind of photographic skill.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sweevo posted:

Or they think novelty effects are a replacement for any kind of photographic skill.

There was a "Take a B&W photo every day for a week" thing going around Facebook recently so my FB feed was flooded with bunches of horrible bland photos for days and days and days.

Apparently no one told my friends that there's more to B&W photography than taking a colour photo of a random object and putting it through a desaturation filter.
:negative:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Apparently no one told my friends that there's more to B&W photography than taking a colour photo of a random object and putting it through a desaturation filter.
:negative:

You gotta fuckin' look at the contrast and the lighting of the thing, dammit!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I wonder how many black and white film photographers cheat and take a digital photo to see how it'll turn out, then take the same shot on film.

Edit: Actually, a film/digital camera could work as a kickstarter.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

RandomPauI posted:

I wonder how many black and white film photographers cheat and take a digital photo to see how it'll turn out, then take the same shot on film.

Camera has to be wifi/bt/iot

E: firewire as a stretch goal

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's not even a good pinhole photo, one advantage of pinhole photography is that most things come out relatively sharp as long as you get your focal length right within a few percent. This suggests they've deliberately made their lovely thing shittier on purpose.

e: it *might* be motion blur but it hadn't occured to me anyone would be stupid enough to try and handhold a >1s exposure.

The membrane the pinhole is in has to be very thin. Pinhole shots never actually get sharp because you can't focus without a lens, but if the hole is very small and the membrane is very thin, you wind up with practically infinite depth of field and diffraction doesn't blur things too much. So black paper makes a bad pinhole camera but gold leaf makes a good one. I'm guessing this one falls closer to the black paper side of things.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

The membrane the pinhole is in has to be very thin. Pinhole shots never actually get sharp because you can't focus without a lens, but if the hole is very small and the membrane is very thin, you wind up with practically infinite depth of field and diffraction doesn't blur things too much. So black paper makes a bad pinhole camera but gold leaf makes a good one. I'm guessing this one falls closer to the black paper side of things.

Well I did say "relatively sharp".

Also have no idea whatsoever why I said "focal length" because the whole point is that it's got an infinite focal length (well not really but YKWIM). I think I knew in the back of my head something had to be right and focal length was the only thing that came into my brain, you've filled in the right info. Anyway I get sharper focus than that with my cheap little cardboard-and-wood actual pinhole camera, which is the real point I was trying to make.

e: "infinite focal length" is also not at all what I meant to say but I can't remember what the actual term is and I think I'm going to go and lay down for a little while.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

RandomPauI posted:

Back in high school when I started shooting film, I sometimes used a cheap point and shoot to see how the lighting looked in camera because film cost money and the digital shot didnt, but after a few years it was superfluous because you can get good lighting and know how the end product looks by experience.

A camera like that sounds like it would be an interesting starter camera for people to learn how to shoot black and white properly and learn how shots have to be set up differently when in BW vs color. Problem is the kickstarter version would probably be hugely overpriced, so not something you'd want to get for a kid who has expressed an interest in photography

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So it'll only reach %250 of its funding goal then.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Don Gato posted:

Back in high school when I started shooting

:thunk:

Serious: I'm enjoying photography-talk. I forget what it was in response to, but long ago someone commented in this thread described a similarly useless product as marketed to people interested in a new hobby who think not having bought some shiny thing is what's holding them back (instead of lack of time/effort). That's what this feels like.

\/e: FactsAreUseless: Always a salesman.

Harveygod has a new favorite as of 03:00 on Nov 25, 2017

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Harveygod posted:

:thunk:

Serious: I'm enjoying photography-talk. I forget what it was in response to, but long ago someone commented in this thread described a similarly useless product as marketed to people interested in a new hobby who think not having bought some shiny thing is what's holding them back (instead of lack of time/effort). That's what this feels like.
Did you know that we have an entire photography subforum?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Harveygod posted:

This is basically every hobby.

"I'm an artist, and the generic anime crap filling my DeviantArt account will look sooooo much better once I get these special pens from Japan!"

Sweevo has a new favorite as of 01:31 on Feb 27, 2019

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Artesinal toilet paper, now you can wipe PROPERLY you filthy animal
With app and bluetooth

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Munchables posted:

Artesinal toilet paper, now you can wipe PROPERLY you filthy animal
With app and bluetooth

Yeah, but can you also use this artisanal tp as a minimalist wallet?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Artisan TP bouquets:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1435481730/functional-artisan-bouquets?ref=discovery

Toilet paper with pockets:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stopland/perfect-fantasy-toilet-paper-with-pockets?ref=discovery

TP for your wallet:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1674359351/tp-card?ref=discovery

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

"Currently, we are working on legal protection by finishing up our utility and design patents, but our goal is to have all legal work completed by the time the funding period ends on Kickstarter. "

Legal protection for toilet paper origami? :thunk:

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Original idea do not steal

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Facebook Aunt posted:

Hello, sir. I typically specialize in bird law, but I happen to also have some experience in toilet law.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Yeah, you can thoroughly clean your teeth in 3 seconds, of course you can.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2077043275/unicotm/description

8one6
May 20, 2012

You know, that emergency wallet sized TP thing is almost a good idea.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Yeah, you can thoroughly clean your teeth in 3 seconds, of course you can.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2077043275/unicotm/description

It's not the first time we've seen something like that here.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

8one6 posted:

and easily replaceable with a travel tissue packet

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

8one6 posted:

Thanks for the $63 pity pledge, mom.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

and easily replaceable with a travel tissue packet

Collateral Damage posted:

Thanks for the $63 pity pledge, mom.

I said almost.

:-p

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"We call em Shitpockets. You poo poo on this inside, that's right.. just drop that big ol deuce straight on inside it, then use the outside to wipe yourself clean. No fuss. no muss"

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

should have been shitmittens

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Shittens.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Morglon posted:

Shittens.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
Have a fully functional Russian lightsaber laser sword.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

This reminds me, what happened to that laser razor? They look like they're still posting to their indiegogo, but I can't tell if they're just stringing people along before quietly fading away or what.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Boomstarter indeed.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Morglon posted:

Shittens.

Shitten Mittens, dammit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22O6Nmjt-mw

You can even tell the trademark office it's a German word.

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.

Facebook Aunt posted:

"Currently, we are working on legal protection by finishing up our utility and design patents, but our goal is to have all legal work completed by the time the funding period ends on Kickstarter. "

At least she is honest...

“After diving into some market research we found that there was no market at all for functional bouquets like the one presented”

She didn’t let that little detail stop her quest to sow the world with poo poo flowers.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

isoprenaline posted:

At least she is honest...

“After diving into some market research we found that there was no market at all for functional bouquets like the one presented”

She didn’t let that little detail stop her quest to sow the world with poo poo flowers.

It's like someone told a pintrist mom that she so crafty and talented, she could make these for money and she believed them.

It's bizarre. I remember my grandma folding napkins into flowers and birds 40 years ago, this isn't at all a new idea. Now this lady is going down to Hobby Lobby (or more likely the dollar store) to get packs of coloured napkins and spangles to resell. To other adults, as a legit home decor choice.

She missed the mark there, should have marketed it as a fun craft activity for little girls. It would go real well well with the "make your own ugly plastic jewellery' kits. Huge market for stupid kids craft kits.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

I think the point of them is that you use from them. So that fancy toilet paper flower in the bathroom? You take those flowers and wipe your rear end with them. And then I assume the host will run out and restock the flower right away? Or just have a flower that is missing pieces?

Also curious on the laser razor...

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Dunno-Lars posted:

I think the point of them is that you use from them. So that fancy toilet paper flower in the bathroom? You take those flowers and wipe your rear end with them. And then I assume the host will run out and restock the flower right away? Or just have a flower that is missing pieces?

Uh you're adding fertilizer man, they're obviously going to grow into more toilet paper flowers. This is like, basic toilet paper botany dude.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

GrandpaPants posted:

This reminds me, what happened to that laser razor? They look like they're still posting to their indiegogo, but I can't tell if they're just stringing people along before quietly fading away or what.

I saw a video last week where they invited some guy to test it and apparently it works but only cuts one hair at a time and they're working on making it cut more than one hair at a time or so they say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

More of a Laser-Cheese-Grater if you look at the size / shape of it :v: