Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Aaaaaand unsurprisingly, the Cebulski news is getting written up in more mainstream outlets. THR, io9, and Vulture have all run articles, and more is apparently coming from Atlantic and Daily Dot.

It's fairly clear that Marvel has still not really adapted to a world where stories like this can spread from ultra-niche outlets like BC/CBR/Newsarama to enthusiast-adjacent mainstream press to full-on mainstream press much more easily than was possible, say, five years ago. They're not used to mainstream outlets covering them beyond spoonfed exclusives about the Human Torch dying or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
What's even the story here? So he used a pseudonym for a person of a different race? I mean, it's not that uncommon. I mean normally, it's a woman pretending to be a man to avoid prejudice or a non-white individual pretending to be white, I've actually done that one since I pass for white since it helps with the job hunt I found, but it's really not that big a deal. Like I said, I've pretended to be white before to help me get a job. I'm not exactly going to get angry at a guy who used a pseudonym.

I guess it's a little hosed up with the power dynamics flipped, though. And it probably did cost of the actual Asian guy job. I guess I can actually see where the issues coming out. Since it is easier for a White Guy to get a job than an Asian guy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The "actual Asian guy" was a translator he brought in to pretend he was him. He wasn't actually trying to write there.

Like I said, I think it's more bizarre than bad, really.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Covok posted:

What's even the story here? So he used a pseudonym for a person of a different race? I mean, it's not that uncommon. I mean normally, it's a woman pretending to be a man to avoid prejudice or a non-white individual pretending to be white, I've actually done that one since I pass for white since it helps with the job hunt I found, but it's really not that big a deal. Like I said, I've pretended to be white before to help me get a job. I'm not exactly going to get angry at a guy who used a pseudonym.

I guess it's a little hosed up with the power dynamics flipped, though. And it probably did cost of the actual Asian guy job. I guess I can actually see where the issues coming out. Since it is easier for a White Guy to get a job than an Asian guy.

I don't have an intimate knowledge of his work so I can't say, but the articles seem to be suggesting that he stole work that would have likely gone to actual Asian writers in another situation and that the material in his work, when you understand it is coming from a white guy pretending to be Japanese, can be offensive.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
If Cebulski had actually issued a full-throated apology that acknowledges that what he did was unprofessional and wrong, instead of a half-assed quasi-apology that falsely presents something he's denied for years as "old news," that would have gone a long way towards defusing this. Hence what I said above about Marvel PR simply not getting how much the media landscape for coverage of nerd culture has changed over the past few years.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

The "actual Asian guy" was a translator he brought in to pretend he was him. He wasn't actually trying to write there.

Like I said, I think it's more bizarre than bad, really.

It doesn't say he brought him in.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I mean I get that the guy is probably racist I seriously don't buy that you can have lunch with someone, who as a translator ostensibly has a good grasp of the English language, and not know who he is

Tbh I'm kinda surprised at all the "so the white guy impersonated a person of different ethnicity to steal work from a marginalized class of writers to get around an editorial mandate and lied about it for a decade and went so far as to actively cover it up and now he's the editor in chief what's the big deal"

site fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 28, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

site posted:

Tbh I'm kinda surprised at all the "so the white guy impersonated a person of different ethnicity to steal work from a marginalized class of writers to get around an editorial mandate and lied about it for a decade and went so far as to actively cover it up and now he's the editor in chief what's the big deal"

Sure if that stuff you half made up had actually happened it would be a much bigger issue.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Which part did I make up

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

KaosMachina posted:

Looking back at Fear Itself, the thing that keeps hitting me is it explicitly looks like a toyline tie-in event, yet without a toy line to go with it.

vv I more mean that like, it feels like 75% of the plot is giving some characters new accessories that give them whole new forms, and then having the heroes go to Asgard to get their ASGARDIAN ACTION FORM SUPER-TOOLS before Thor solves the whole problem, dies, and I think comes back literally within a month. vv

There was a huge Heroclix tie-in event that came some time after the storyline ended. We got figures for all of the Mighty and the Worthy. It was pretty rad, all in all.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

KaosMachina posted:

Looking back at Fear Itself, the thing that keeps hitting me is it explicitly looks like a toyline tie-in event, yet without a toy line to go with it.

vv I more mean that like, it feels like 75% of the plot is giving some characters new accessories that give them whole new forms, and then having the heroes go to Asgard to get their ASGARDIAN ACTION FORM SUPER-TOOLS before Thor solves the whole problem, dies, and I think comes back literally within a month. vv

It was an awesome heroclix set.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

It doesn't say he brought him in.
Yeah that's a good call, I missed that bit of nuance.

site posted:

Which part did I make up
There's no evidence he stole any work from anyone, for starters.

E: Okay, I take this back, there does seem to be some.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 29, 2017

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I just read that Matt Fraction's story about his mixed heritage is total bullshit. Turns out he's not half numerator and half denominator after all. That culturally appropriating piece of poo poo is full blown integer.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Heathen posted:

I just read that Matt Fraction's story about his mixed heritage is total bullshit. Turns out he's not half numerator and half denominator after all. That culturally appropriating piece of poo poo is full blown integer.

:lol:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Covok posted:

Being promoted as, and profiting off an image of, a fresh and foreign PoC voice in comics is skeezy, even if the promoters weren't in the loop. I'm not up on the editorial practices Rich is talking about, but using a proxy to get around company positions on staffers writing comics isn't great, either. If you take C.B. Cebulski at his word, that was an accident. Except instead of turning that down or coming clean when he was offered the work, he tried to cover it up and had someone pose as the Japanese writer.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 29, 2017

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

That's a shame. Lim has been consistently boring since forever. A super lazy, poor mans Jim Lee knock-off. He's the guy they shove in when the big gun artist flakes out halfway through the second book.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
In light of the news of the Marvel EIC, this review has become retroactively amazing;

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017
I have no love for CB Cebulski but I feel like this whole scandal is a total nonissue being blown out of proportion by people who have way too much time on their hands.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Yeah that is not exciting or pleasing to the eye at all, wtf

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Top Gun posted:

I have no love for CB Cebulski

Other creatives sure did when his promotion was announced, which is why I'll be a bit bummed if we never get to see the fruits of whatever he would've made of the place. Or at least I'll be curious.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Top Gun posted:

I have no love for CB Cebulski but I feel like this whole scandal is a total nonissue being blown out of proportion by people who have way too much time on their hands.
Yes it's being blown out of proportion by POC creators who have too much time on their hands because cis white men take 90% of the jobs at Marvel and DC.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Yeah who the gently caress cares about the new EIC blatantly disregarding the rules back in the day and giving a non-apology when caught, I'm sure Marvel will do great under him. That's not even the race part.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Don't forget the fact that he probably stole ideas from talent he was supposed to scout, which is the "editors don't write" part exists.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

We now cut to a live feed from Marvel offices:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was reading some old Venom comics, and it got me wondering. Does any of the new Venom stuff, like the Remender series or the Space Knight series ever reference that Venom canonically has the power to go into the internet by stretching his symbiote really thin into the wires?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Lurdiak posted:

Don't forget the fact that he probably stole ideas from talent he was supposed to scout, which is the "editors don't write" part exists.

I keep hearing about this one but it seems unsubstantiated?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Heathen posted:

All integers can be expressed as fractions. :colbert:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sana Amanat (Marvel Director of Content and Character Development, editor and co-creator of Ms Marvel) on C B Cebulski, etc.
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/lifestyle/marvel-defends-editor-in-chief-c-b-cebulski-9451614

quote:

This is a world he understood. He’s one of my favourite people (and) I think many people who know CB will know that he is one of the most globally minded, and very culturally sensitive as well. That man has lived in Japan, speaks Japanese, and has lived all over the world. He very much associates with Japanese culture. And I think that him writing, for whatever time it was, was him trying to be a writer more than anything else.

I think we have to be very sensitive about cultural appropriation and whitewashing. But I do think, fundamentally, that if there’s an opportunity to create more awareness about a particular type of character, whether it’s an Asian character or a black character, that should be our primary goal – telling as authentic, as honest, as fun, as real a story as possible about that character. Because that’s what’s really going to build more awareness about a particular cultural group.

Of course we want cultural authenticity and make sure we’re casting those people behind the scenes, but the primary goal is getting those kinds of characters out there
Example Bendis writing Miles Morales

quote:

He is as white as they come but he happens to have a daughter who’s African American. So it meant something to him. We have to stop dismissing people when they want to be able to promote that. Because then we’re actually going to create a deepening dividing line between cultures in a way that is antagonistic. We have to start communicating and not being so angry,

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 29, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

This would all be fine if Cebulski wrote those books as C.B. Cebulski or, like, Joe American, or whatever. Unfortunately, he chose not to.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Well I didn't expect to be seriously disappointed in Sana Amanat today but here we are

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
What are the odds that when Cebulski is fired he's gonna post a Twitter or Facebook rant saying the real reason he faked being asian was because minorities have a unfair advantage over whites and he was the real victim all along?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Low.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

What are the odds that when Cebulski is fired he's gonna post a Twitter or Facebook rant saying the real reason he faked being asian was because minorities have a unfair advantage over whites and he was the real victim all along?

considering he's married to a Japanese woman I'm guessing "not high"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm confused - is he editor-in-chief yet or was he just announced as the next editor-in-chief? Is Alonso still there?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Man I really hope sana only put out that statement at gunpoint that is just awful

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm confused - is he editor-in-chief yet or was he just announced as the next editor-in-chief? Is Alonso still there?

I'm pretty sure he's editor in chief. The initial announcement for the job said Alonso was stepping down the next day

Teenage Fansub posted:

Sana Amanat (Marvel Director of Content and Character Development, editor and co-creator of Ms Marvel) on C B Cebulski, etc.
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/lifestyle/marvel-defends-editor-in-chief-c-b-cebulski-9451614

Example Bendis writing Miles Morales

Except Bendis wasn't writing under the pen name Djimon Hounsou or whatever when he created Miles Morales

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 29, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Blockhouse posted:

considering he's married to a Japanese woman I'm guessing "not high"

That.....doesn't seem relevant?

Like being married to a minority doesn't mean poo poo.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Also yeah it's a great idea on doubling down on your new guy being a dumbass.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

I was reading some old Venom comics, and it got me wondering. Does any of the new Venom stuff, like the Remender series or the Space Knight series ever reference that Venom canonically has the power to go into the internet by stretching his symbiote really thin into the wires?

Like red hood on dc's side, venom is pretty terrible and probably should be killed off/stayed dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/ghweldon/status/935660710624886784

• Locked thread