Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Tennessee's down to, what, their fourth choice now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Joey Freshwater posted:

I cant believe you’re buying into this stuff. I just had a friend send me flight tracker stuff of a plane going from UT to Stillwater.

I will not believe anything until there is a guy at a podium in Knoxville going “hi I’m your new coach”

Buying what? Tennessee did offer him a big pay raise, never said he was going to take it.

It looks like it was actually $7 million a year if Brett’s sources are correct.

Pakled posted:

Tennessee's down to, what, their fourth choice now?

It seems like their 4th choice should of been their first. Makes no sense.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Just hire Mike Norvell, its not that hard. He's even in the same state and all

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/935698699564539906

Nice hire.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thank god, get him out of the Big Ten

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Just hire Mike Norvell, its not that hard. He's even in the same state and all

Seriously. I feel like it’s gonna be Martin now though.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I'm disappointed to lose Moorhead before the bowl game, but Franklin has built Penn State into a top 10 job. He'll have his pick of the best up and coming OCs. It is likely, though, that the QB coach, Ricky Rahne, will take over as OC

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

well gently caress

Can James Franklin make another good OC hire? :smithicide:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah like komet said i wouldn't be shocked to see Rahne be called up to OC.

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice
At this point Tennessee has to bring Tee home right? It's not a big hire like Gundy would have been, but it'd be pretty cool to have him back.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
lol if Tennessee hires the no name HC of NC State now

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

DJExile posted:

yeah like komet said i wouldn't be shocked to see Rahne be called up to OC.

Franklin has known since the end of last season that Moorhead would be a hot commodity. Rahne has been working to learn Moorhead's system with this expectation.

The question is: how quick will Rahne be to adapt to this role? Penn State has a really favorable schedule next year. With Moorhead, the absolute floor is like 10-2 with a really decent shot at the CFP. But with Rahne, anything less than 10-2 or maybe 9-3 means Franklin needs to find another OC in 2019.

Silver lining: at least Moorhead isn't going to another Big Ten school or regional rival. If Narduzzi had a shittier year, we might be looking at Moorhead to Pitt. That's a lot worse.

Komet fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 29, 2017

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Jimmy Sexton is Martin's agent, too, so that's fun

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/935700752911147009

https://twitter.com/benjaminwolk/status/935705405610655744

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
Moorhead is a bad rear end and should be an excellent hire. I'm assuming Rahne gets the job no so hopefully he's been a quick study

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

nate fisher posted:

Buying what? Tennessee did offer him a big pay raise, never said he was going to take it.

It looks like it was actually $7 million a year if Brett’s sources are correct.

It seems like their 4th choice should of been their first. Makes no sense.

Ok you keep doing this and it is driving me nuts. "Should have", not should of. It will literally never ever ever be "should of". It makes you look borderline illiterate and I'd hate for you to use "should of" in a work setting and be denied promotions, raises, and peer approval because of it.

Should have.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Hell yea bich

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/smartfootball/status/935719561126662144

I forgot this happened and lol

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

We should just go ahead and go down the top 25 and make the Gundy offer to every person on the list.

MAYBE SABAN WANTS TO TAKE A PAYCUT AND COACH TENNESSEE?
MAYBE MEYER WILL TAKE A RAISE OF $500K TO MOVE HIMSELF AND HIS FAMILY TO KNOXVILLE???

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Bill Snyder to Tennessee

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/brucefeldmancfb/status/935720213017804800

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

what if tennessee just hired the guy who played Coach Taylor

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Goddamn, I think Tennessee has gone through more candidates in three or four days than Steve Pederson did in 40 with Nebraska in '03-'04

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

what if tennessee just hired the guy who played Coach Taylor

Terrible clock management, started some lovely white dude over the obviously more talented Voodoo, way too many fullback carries, and never developed a meaningful defensive player, no thanks

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
the vols need jeff fisher

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Nice hire, duder. Hope y'all keep it rolling. Chris Brown likes him!

https://twitter.com/PFF_Smith/status/926848746738143232

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MourningView posted:

Terrible clock management, started some lovely white dude over the obviously more talented Voodoo, way too many fullback carries, and never developed a meaningful defensive player, no thanks

You call constant run plays in a 2 minute drill bad clock management. I call it innovative.

And Luke was a good defender but on roids.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Flyin Jim Elbows posted:

At this point Tennessee has to bring Tee home right? It's not a big hire like Gundy would have been, but it'd be pretty cool to have him back.

No head coaching experience and 1 year as an OC. As much as fans would like to see him do well, it's really hard to make the case that he's ready.

The fact that the first two names we know Currie contacted were Schiano and Cutcliffe make me worried that either he was quietly turned down by several other coaches or that Currie is even dumber than our fanbase, which is growing dumber by the day.

Anyway, obviously Spurrier is the only remaining option.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This is going to end with Les Miles at Tennessee

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

I feel like Bo Pelini is inching up the candidate list

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

No head coaching experience and 1 year as an OC. As much as fans would like to see him do well, it's really hard to make the case that he's ready.

The fact that the first two names we know Currie contacted were Schiano and Cutcliffe make me worried that either he was quietly turned down by several other coaches or that Currie is even dumber than our fanbase, which is growing dumber by the day.

Anyway, obviously Spurrier is the only remaining option.

Spurdog as the Vol’s head coach would continue cracking Tennessee jokes while demolishing the SEC East. I would almost not even be mad about that.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

tennessee should hire a big upcoming coordinator, a guy who led the offense to the #20 AP ranking and developed an NFL quarterback

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Henchman of Santa posted:

You call constant run plays in a 2 minute drill bad clock management. I call it innovative.

And Luke was a good defender but on roids.

I have not gone back and rewatched the seasons with the school located in the ghetto that inexplicably popped up overnight, was Luke on roids too? If so that’s also another issue considering Smash was roiding in the first season. Lotta discipline issues, really. His kicker murdered someone and everyone just pretended nothing happened.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MourningView posted:

I have not gone back and rewatched the seasons with the school located in the ghetto that inexplicably popped up overnight, was Luke on roids too? If so that’s also another issue considering Smash was roiding in the first season. Lotta discipline issues, really. His kicker murdered someone and everyone just pretended nothing happened.

luke wasn't on roids, he was addicted to opiates

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
im hype as hell yall

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

luke wasn't on roids, he was addicted to opiates

Ah you're right. He took a bunch of painkillers after an injury and I mixed that with Smash's roid storyline.

MourningView posted:

You should rewatch them because they're much better than the seasons with Landry and Tyra killing a dude. Also the guy was a rapist so it's fine. And it gave us Landry asking a random girl if she believed good men were capable of evil.

The best dropped plotline is Buddy Garrity's mysteriously disappeared immigrant child that he adopted. But what bothers me the most is Crucifictorius going from a Christian metalcore band to a group that does Flaming Lips covers (but kept the name).

CapnBoomstick
Jan 20, 2006
Just to show how crazy this Coaching Carousel season has been, news of State hiring Moorhead first came from a poster on SixPack who got the info second-hand from a stripper in Atlanta

https://twitter.com/DanWolken/status/935726996289617921

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I thought Husker fans were delusional but /r/ockytop is calling for Jimbo Fisher. I just don't even know where to start with that.

Although I did have them excited about a mystery candidate: http://reddit.com/r/ockytop/comments/7g3my7/tuesday_rumor_thread/dqhsa0w

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Well, the Cheetah is perhaps only the second best known Atlanta club these days - behind the now departed Gold Club - but it's certainly a well-established place of business.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I can't wait to see which coaching candidate gets to reject us today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
dropping into lol at herm loving edwards

• Locked thread