Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Alas Vegas finally got published.

Not for us physical copy backers, not yet...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chill la Chill posted:

Actually, it has yielded the best ROI on comedy out of any kickstarter I’ve seen. It keeps a steady output to this day!

Thank you for your contribution.

Doobie's didn't fail either, it was open until the landlord kicked him out.

The only project I've ever had actually fail on me after funding was Rocket Ranger Reloaded, but I got a refund for it. Sword of Fargoal 2 is stalled almost permanently in beta, but then it made goal by less than $50 - probably the creators making up the last few $k - and the programmer went off to do Death Road to Canada to put food on the table, but there is at least a playable version of the game. Looks like I'm fairly good at picking them.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jedit posted:

Doobie's didn't fail either, it was open until the landlord kicked him out.

So I didn't believe the stupid story about the funeral home moving in next door and needing the space for a parking lot. I was so sure it was Doobie saving face. But, a goon just went to Reeeform and took pictures and by god it's all real. https://imgur.com/a/rXEJq

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Thranguy posted:

Not for us physical copy backers, not yet...

I never got my physical copy of Cairn either, but considering how both were in limbo for so long; I'll call even getting the digital versions a success of some kind.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

UpFront! got me, too. It's a shame he burned everybody after successfully delivering on two other kickstarters, but it looks like he took the money and ran to Australia with no intent of delivering ever.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Andbody have hands on with Folklore? I'm interested for the rpg aspects but I cant find reviews that aren't D tier Neckbeard Tom Vassel wannabe's.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I thought Up Front! ended with the kickstarter creator getting sued and using all the money he raised for the kickstarter to pay the debt for the case? Or something like that? Then someone else picked up Up Front! as a pay for print deal?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I think there original UpFront went PoD, but I never saw any money from the kickstarter.

BlackHattingMachine
Mar 24, 2006
Choking, quick with the Heimlich!
Any thoughts on this project: Here ?

It has all the hallmarks of a terrible pledge: 1st time/no name publisher, confusing pledge rewards, no proof of concepts, reliance on other hard to get products for full use.

And yet... I want to back so bad. Dragon Kings is cool and good, and 5e is cool and good. Is this not the Reese's Peanut Butter Cup of Kickstarters I think it is?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

BlackHattingMachine posted:

It has all the hallmarks of a terrible pledge: 1st time/no name publisher, confusing pledge rewards, no proof of concepts, reliance on other hard to get products for full use.

And yet... I want to back so bad. Dragon Kings is cool and good, and 5e is cool and good. Is this not the Reese's Peanut Butter Cup of Kickstarters I think it is?

I mean, I bought their 13th Age book and, iirc, it kind of sucked.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Christophe Boelinge, of Dungeon Twister, Earth Reborn, and Archipelago fame, has a new game on Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/antonioooh/living-planet-by-christophe-boelinger

Unfortunately, the Kickstarter's English seems a bit stilted, which seems to have also transferred to the (WIP) manual. I'm still not quite sure how the game actually plays, especially in regards to the cataclysm since that part is kinda messy, but goddamn that guy makes good games.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Goodman Games is doing a quick little kickstarter for a new expanded printing of their book of art and random tables, Dungeon Alphabet. They're doing it at a special Black Friday price (though that price is good through the whole KS) so it's $12 for the plain cover or $18 for the gold foil. Both are hardcovers btw

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

BlackHattingMachine posted:

That kickstarter can't even bother to clarify that they mean the fifth edition of D&D....

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

That kickstarter can't even bother to clarify that they mean the fifth edition of D&D....

I think that's fairly common on Kickstarter, since D&D is trademarked. Most of them say something like "the fifth edition of the world's most popular roleplaying game."

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Jimmeeee posted:

I think that's fairly common on Kickstarter, since D&D is trademarked. Most of them say something like "the fifth edition of the world's most popular roleplaying game."

That and WotC are pretty trigger happy with their lawyers when it comes to their IP's.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

All that means if you have to say "compatible with" or "designed for use with" instead of "for" or "a part of".

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Some kickstarters spend more time coming up with cute ways to refer to D&D than they do on things like explaining what they're selling.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

Christophe Boelinge, of Dungeon Twister, Earth Reborn, and Archipelago fame, has a new game on Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/antonioooh/living-planet-by-christophe-boelinger

Unfortunately, the Kickstarter's English seems a bit stilted, which seems to have also transferred to the (WIP) manual. I'm still not quite sure how the game actually plays, especially in regards to the cataclysm since that part is kinda messy, but goddamn that guy makes good games.

Uh man yeah, I like his other games and this looks like it could be cool but that description of gameplay doesn't actually convey a whole lot to me.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

So I didn't believe the stupid story about the funeral home moving in next door and needing the space for a parking lot. I was so sure it was Doobie saving face. But, a goon just went to Reeeform and took pictures and by god it's all real. https://imgur.com/a/rXEJq

Home of the Frog Dog...

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Hauki posted:

Uh man yeah, I like his other games and this looks like it could be cool but that description of gameplay doesn't actually convey a whole lot to me.

Sounds like Archipelago by way of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Hauki posted:

From what I can tell from the rulebook, it's like Archipelago except not co-op and instead of a deck of crisis cards the players have some control over who gets hosed.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Nuns with Guns posted:

They actually meant Paranoia.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

He so totally makes good games. I also really love the player "drawers" in the storage! The art and theme disappoint me, though. :(

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Looks like the midnight charge for $16 shipping from the Fragged Empires backerkit flagged my credit card's fraud prevention. Never had that happen before, hopefully I don't get charged twice!

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Kids on Bikes finished with a bang - nearly got $100k. Here's hoping it's good / delivers relatively close to on-time.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Agrias120 posted:

Looks like the midnight charge for $16 shipping from the Fragged Empires backerkit flagged my credit card's fraud prevention. Never had that happen before, hopefully I don't get charged twice!
Huh, the same thing happened to me, but unfortunately I can't get BackerKit to try again with my credit card.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
It flagged for me too, but fortunately Wade was awake and just let me pay him via paypal directly and adjusted the backerkit backend somehow so it's not trying to charge me anymore.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Something tells me that's going to be a fun KS update on Wade's end tomorrow.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
It's probably Stripe loving up again. (The backerkit/kickstarter credit card back end.) It's apparently been extra tetchy for a lot of folks purchasing stuff in foreign currency lately.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Any hand on with https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gbg/folklore-the-affliction-2nd-printing Folklore? Ending soon.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Luckily I was able to confirm I meant to purchase it, then "update" my CC info on backerkit with the same CC information. Looks like it only went through once and I'm marked as having paid now.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

You know, I was going back and forth on this one, but after having played Gloomhaven, I decided against it. The gameplay of Folklore seems too dependent on tons of luck-driven dice-rolls. Like, a major part of the combat is just rolling two d10s to see if you hit the other character. The skirmish encounters (world-map scale) where you're just rolling dice over and over to see if you kill the monster without any real input from the player seemed dire. And although the grid-based environment mats look nice at first glance, it appears like combat scenarios boil down to "run up to monster and stay there until it's dead" which eliminates any real movement strategy.

Gloomhaven showed how you needed to maneuver around hexes in a way that mattered and you could mitigate a lot of the luck through smart card usage. It also naturally supported 2 character runs by scaling enemy spawn counts while apparently you need at least 3-4 characters in Folklore to survive reliably.

I like grid-based mini co-op games, but after watching some gameplay previews of Folklore, my excitement drained and it just seemed tedious.

EDIT: I know these are largely different, but since they're both co-op games, I thought I'd mention it:

I took the huge pledge I would have spent on Folklore and decided to back Ironclad instead for $45 after shipping.

Yes, it also relies on luck and dice rolls, but I believe that the fun of the game is in deciding which of your characters to exhaust to deal with ship damage. It's also way cheaper than Folklore, takes up a ton less space, and has a cool Robotech/Space Battleship Yamato/Captain Harlock aesthetic to it. My only concern is that the Greek developers make sure that their English translation is on-point, but other than that, it looks unique and interesting.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 28, 2017

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
There's been a lot of punk RPGs on Kickstarter (for obvious reasons), but Stigmata: This Signal Kills Fascists seems really cool. I love the art style, and the balancing act of superhero and revolutionary. I don't know what I think about it being in the 80s, though. Seems unnecessary.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Hiro Protagonist posted:

There's been a lot of punk RPGs on Kickstarter (for obvious reasons), but Stigmata: This Signal Kills Fascists seems really cool. I love the art style, and the balancing act of superhero and revolutionary. I don't know what I think about it being in the 80s, though. Seems unnecessary.

Yeah, I just saw that. I'm considering it strongly, given that I adore cyberpunk. I think the 80's element is both to specifically move it away from the modern political context, and to avoid the issues of the panopticon of modern tech.

Anyone know much about the COIN system?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Hiro Protagonist posted:

The original punk aesthetic is pretty closely tied to the economic excess and obnoxious pop culture of the eighties. It makes sense.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The alternate scenarios are pretty enticing and I'm quite appreciative of the unabashed, unambiguous stance that the creators are taking. It's a bit more than just the generic "rah rah fight the power" design philosophy, they seem to actually have a passion for the product they're making which is refreshing.

Also I think the core scenario is the 80s because it's a more approachable era because gently caress Reagan but Zurui makes a good point.

Oh and this was written by the guy behind Cryptomancer. I didn't realize that. Well I'm sold on that alone, I enjoy Cryptomancer because it actually put a lot of thought and detail into what would happen if a generic fantasy setting had hacking and had excellent worldbuilding.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Hell yeah, man. This is my kind of poo poo.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Yeah I'm down for this.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

JazzFlight posted:

You know, I was going back and forth on this one, but after having played Gloomhaven, I decided against it.

I backed it this morning but there's still time to bail. Can you point me to the Folklore previews that influenced you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Okay, on reading more on it, backed Stigmata. This should be my jam.