Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The sad thing is that this comic could easily become really good if they actually had Ippo realize that he needs to more carefully study boxing and gain more technical skill. Like, just have him legitimately improve upon his weak areas and start to win as a result, instead of just relying on his YAMATO SPIRIT and Dempsey Roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink Top
Jul 21, 2012
Takamura starves himself, gets into featherweight, beats Ricardo and dies from his diet.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Drink Top posted:

Takamura starves himself, gets into featherweight, beats Ricardo and dies from his diet.

*kills Ricardo

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

The sad thing is that this comic could easily become really good if they actually had Ippo realize that he needs to more carefully study boxing and gain more technical skill. Like, just have him legitimately improve upon his weak areas and start to win as a result, instead of just relying on his YAMATO SPIRIT and Dempsey Roll.

No man, he needs to tie a ship anchor to his rear end in a top hat, real macho Japanese training, skills are for weenies

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ElGroucho posted:

He's never going to go in to the ring with bad intentions

bad intentions like "blocking"

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Ippo knew the whole time. At least it being a functional suicide mission makes his proclamation easier to swallow.

I guess we'll see where it goes from here...

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
4 new chapters out

RIP Ippo

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Ippo going into the match knowing he's broken, but wanting to show the new dempsey before he would be forced to retire is so heart-breaking.

Also, 1203 RAW is up: http://netabare.city/archives/6261

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hmph. Well, we'll see!

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
That was especially brutal because not only did the coach not throw in the towel when he should have and is going to have to live with that, but Ippo never even got to fulfill his last wish of showing off all the hard work they put into his new form. He got robbed of even that much. The author really wanted you to feel all that lost potential. Now no one will know that he had become a murder machine because he learned it while broken.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

TaurusOxford posted:

Ippo going into the match knowing he's broken, but wanting to show the new dempsey before he would be forced to retire is so heart-breaking.

Also, 1203 RAW is up: http://netabare.city/archives/6261

Ok for that RAW

I admit I teared up a little, even not being able to read the translation , seeing the crowd give Ippo a clapping ovation was pretty nice of them. Also drat. Ippo might not be the best character in his own series but the fact he kept going even knowing he was not gonna have time left was pretty heart breaking. Also when he gave the coach that final look (MS chapter) it pretty much was him saying goodbye

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I have to admit, I am genuinely interested in where this is going, even if it feels like the story could have ended at Ippo's 2nd loss

So where does Ippo go from here? He is too sick to continue boxing. A few theories I have are...

1) The reason Ippo is ending is that the author is too sick to continue. We'll get a few flash-forward chapters of Takamura winning the world belt and Ippo finally kissing a girl/getting married. He narrowly avoided the Ashita no Joe ending and finds happiness outside of the sport.

2)Someone else becomes the lead, like Takamura, Miyata, or Sendo. Don't see this one being that likely.

3)We get a flash-forward to Ippo taking over the gym and teaching someone else how to be a horrible boxer. This could possibly lead to a Boruto style situation where a new artist takes over, but with the original author overseeing the story.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I have to admit, I am genuinely interested in where this is going, even if it feels like the story could have ended at Ippo's 2nd loss

So where does Ippo go from here? He is too sick to continue boxing. A few theories I have are...

1) The reason Ippo is ending is that the author is too sick to continue. We'll get a few flash-forward chapters of Takamura winning the world belt and Ippo finally kissing a girl/getting married. He narrowly avoided the Ashita no Joe ending and finds happiness outside of the sport.

2)Someone else becomes the lead, like Takamura, Miyata, or Sendo. Don't see this one being that likely.

3)We get a flash-forward to Ippo taking over the gym and teaching someone else how to be a horrible boxer. This could possibly lead to a Boruto style situation where a new artist takes over, but with the original author overseeing the story.

He'll hook up with Kumi and in a timeskip a few years later after running the fishing boat he'll be confronted by not fulfilling his potential and go back to boxing after the coach dies or something, kinda like Date

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
can he still work a fishing boat with that level of brain damage, though?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
ippos boruto should be called bippo

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

DeadBonesBrook posted:

For your theories

I think more of it has to do with reason one. Dude's like 50 years old and considering how working in the manga industry takes a toll, I wouldn't be surprised if this is him hanging the towel and ending the series.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Probably repeatedly concussed himself with all the infinity-loop weaving. Imagine his brain pinballing around every Dempsey wind-up.

Guess I still have enough in me to see where this story goes from here, even if a happy ending is no longer an option.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Ok, having those other 3 chapters before the end of the fight makes this a much easier pill to swallow.

Now I am interested to see what happens next.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Ippo retires as a fighter and becomes a coach, continuing the cycle of creating brain damaged meatheads

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the storytelling is fine. everything makes sense, nothing feels weirdly asspulled

however, gently caress this

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
for a number of reasons this direction is stupid as hell. what a shame, if only the author didn't waste hundreds of chapters and like 10 IRL years meandering nowhere we couldve had a legitimate ending. oh well

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
What a fucktacular way to end

This is what happens when you don't plan out the over arching plot and just push out poo poo, thinking you've got plenty of time to wrap things up

ElGroucho fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 29, 2017

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Those were some pretty good chapters.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

ElGroucho posted:

What a fucktacular way to end

This is what happens when you don't plan out the over arching plot and just push out poo poo, thinking you've got plenty of time to wrap things up
Very Bleach-ish.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Patware posted:

the storytelling is fine. everything makes sense, nothing feels weirdly asspulled

however, gently caress this

That's about right yesss sir

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I suppose I have to give some credit to making Ippo the story of a brilliant prodigy that got his life ruined by an elderly failure that doesn't know the first thing about boxing.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
Why has Morikawa spent years dragging out this stupid loving disappointment?

I remember once upon a time considering Ippo among my favourite manga, but honestly it feels like we have just had to wait years for Morikawa to dismantle his own legacy.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
maybe we'll follow the adventures of the monkey boy, he has a real coach and everything

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

CharlestonJew posted:

maybe we'll follow the adventures of the monkey boy, he has a real coach and everything

The Wally fight to me, is the beginning of the descent of this manga. I remember hating everything about it at the time and I don't think its ever truly recovered from it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

FiftySeven posted:

The Wally fight to me, is the beginning of the descent of this manga. I remember hating everything about it at the time and I don't think its ever truly recovered from it.

The Vorg fight gave me some hope after that that it was going to get better, but... yeah.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Please look forward to Morikawa's new manga, Hajime no Takamura, where the coach petitions to have the rules of boxing rewritten so Takamura can fight two people at once.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Ippo's descent into brain-damaged mediocrity would've been a much more compelling story had the previous story arcs not involved a Philipinno kid who could jump off the turnbuckles like they were jungle trees and Takamura beating a guy by spinning his entire body off his goddamn big toe.

I guess what I'm saying is Morikawa is not a very good writer. He's a chapter-to-chapter guy, and that seems to work well for guys like him and Toriyama. That said while I legitimately take umbrage with a lot of the guy's beliefs (the After the War arc springs odiously to mind) he's not Kubo Tite levels of "I've mismanaged my creation and grown to hate my own product and just don't care about it anymore."

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I wouldn't call an ending like this Bleach-esque. It's certainly not a happy ending, but at least you have visual confirmation as to how it happened, as opposed to "Let's just assume the main character actually DID beat the big bad and move on, shall we?"

Ippo got a fist in his facehole.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Ippo learns that real strength is about letting something go instead of holding on tight.

The true Samurai spirit.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

So uh what's going to be the legacy of this series. Is it just going to fade away cause of this ending?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

I think you mean RIppo

:smuggo:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Stairmaster posted:

So uh what's going to be the legacy of this series. Is it just going to fade away cause of this ending?

To a degree it's tarnished it's legacy by being stunningly mediocre for longer than it was at it's peak, but it's highs were very high indeed and that buys it a place in history.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ajzt3n7YKt0

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
drat nice chapters, gently caress the haters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Stairmaster posted:

Hardly think it will fade away considering Ashita no Joe's ending and how big a influence that is. If it does it will be mainly because of the massive dip in quality from the Woli fight until the Volg fight.