Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
That's uh, a drastic measure she took

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The Fleming hosed everything up

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

There was a very on-the-nose case of that thing Futurama made fun of

Data: "There are regions of potential subspace instability in the corridor, if they are exposed to warp energy they will rupture, subspace will extrasd fpoasdfhauweiasdfgnsofjasdofj"
Picard: "It's like pacing up and down on the same piece of carpet!"

"Like a balloon and...something bad happens!"

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Why did they call what they did "surfing" when it was way more like sailing

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Star trek loving loves surfing poo poo.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This part where he's showing how severe it'll get if they don't change anything is very global warming

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

That's uh, a drastic measure she took

A profoundly stupid one. I can't stand the wonder twins in this episode.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

That ending's a bit of a downer.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The way Data says "Geordi, I cannot stun my cat..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPCwJub326c&t=42s

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jeb! Repetition posted:

There was a very on-the-nose case of that thing Futurama made fun of

Data: "There are regions of potential subspace instability in the corridor, if they are exposed to warp energy they will rupture, subspace will extrasd fpoasdfhauweiasdfgnsofjasdofj"
Picard: "It's like pacing up and down on the same piece of carpet!"

"The thing's gotta have a tailpipe" from Undiscovered Country has to be the worst offender.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That's the most upset I've ever heard data

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

After The War posted:

"The thing's gotta have a tailpipe" from Undiscovered Country has to be the worst offender.

My favorite is 'flypaper' from the Corbomite Maneuver. We're all familiar with flypaper in the 23rd century, right? That's a totally commonplace metaphor!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Angry Salami posted:

My favorite is 'flypaper' from the Corbomite Maneuver. We're all familiar with flypaper in the 23rd century, right? That's a totally commonplace metaphor!

How many petards have you hoisted lately?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

That ending's a bit of a downer.

Same but for global warming.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

McSpanky posted:

How many petards have you hoisted lately?

Don't kink shame

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm sure Yamato 2199 was mostly/all CGI for the ship shots, but they were gorgeously rendered.

2199 was really easy on the eyes, and pretty drat well written. If you have any Star Blazers nostalgia, look it up.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Angry Salami posted:

Well what else are you going to do about flies? Set up a low-power automatic laser turret?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Delete the wife.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Force of Nature is the most realistic global warming episode in all TV, because they discover the problem, discover how screwed they are, pretend to make changes for a few years and then just forget about it.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

FuturePastNow posted:

Force of Nature is the most realistic global warming episode in all TV, because they discover the problem, discover how screwed they are, pretend to make changes for a few years and then just forget about it.

They were really playing the long game with that one.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HD DAD posted:

They were really playing the long game with that one.
So now we need an episode where a Klingon spy claims the warp drive ripping apart the seams of reality is a hoax invented by the Romulans to inhibit federation war-making capabilities.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Man, Harry Mudd wasn't kidding in Discovery about Starfleet ships having way too many ways to blow them up. I'm watching classic, perhaps one of the greatest episodes of TOS "The Alternative Factor", and Lazarus just pulled what appeared to be an AC Delco Maxifuse from a corridor wall panel and switched another and all of the sudden Main Engineering caught on fire. :psyduck:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Saw a stupid clickbait headline today You won't believe what Star Trek's Seven of Nine looks like now! which is whatever but the loving picture they had with it :lol:

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

The Bloop posted:

Saw a stupid clickbait headline today You won't believe what Star Trek's Seven of Nine looks like now! which is whatever but the loving picture they had with it :lol:

The older borgs get the more Greek they become :/

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

The Bloop posted:

They're right, I don't believe it.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

“I tore my pants!” - Miles O’Brien

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I just saw TOS Omega Glory

This show was considered progressive on race at one point

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

cheetah7071 posted:

I mean it was the 60s, a couple of years after government mandated segregation had ended, so you need to take it in context

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

cheetah7071 posted:

It wasn't merely considered that, it was incredibly progressive. Progressive on gender equality too. That's how bad poo poo was.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Now watch Code of Honor for TNG's ~progressive~ take on race!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

It wasn't merely considered that, it was incredibly progressive. Progressive on gender equality too. That's how bad poo poo was.

Uhhhh

I don't know about that second part. Kirk and the boys would, on the bridge, in front of everyone, including the female officer in question, loudly discuss why you can't promote women because they'll just find a man to settle down with and leave the service anyway.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

VitalSigns posted:

Uhhhh

I don't know about that second part. Kirk and the boys would, on the bridge, in front of everyone, including the female officer in question, loudly discuss why you can't promote women because they'll just find a man to settle down with and leave the service anyway.

Again, having female officers at all, let alone on the main bridge of the ship was still far and above most other shows at that time.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

People really don't get how much society changed in the last 60-odd years. You think all that poo poo in Mad Men was exaggerated for effect?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

McSpanky posted:

People really don't get how much society changed in the last 60-odd years. You think all that poo poo in Mad Men was exaggerated for effect?

Seriously. People thought Roddenberry was loving insane for having a woman as the XO in the first pilot (admittedly, he only did so, and then cast her as Nurse Chapel, because he was loving her, but still).

Edit: Put another way, it literally wasn't until something like 1996 that a majority of the population--and it was a razor-slim majority--believed interracial marriage should be legal.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

On top of that, Martin Luther King Jr. had to personally convince Nichelle Nichols not to quit the show because of how big of a role model she had become to African American children. She was one of the first African American characters on TV playing a character that was equal to her peers.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Doggles posted:

On top of that, Martin Luther King Jr. had to personally convince Nichelle Nichols not to quit the show because of how big of a role model she had become to African American children. She was one of the first African American characters on TV playing a character that was equal to her peers.

This gets heavily debated every time it comes up, basically all we know is that he spoke to her once, though I'm not comfortable calling her a liar and I totally believe that he did tell her that.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Again, having female officers at all, let alone on the main bridge of the ship was still far and above most other shows at that time.

Ehhh, sort of. It was far and above actual reality of that time, which was the point. Probably the most comparable contemporary show to TOS in a lot of ways is Raumpatrouille, which also has female officers on the ship, but as with TOS it’s meant to convey that this is The Future more so than seriously holding what we would consider modern opinions about women.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Doggles posted:

On top of that, Martin Luther King Jr. had to personally convince Nichelle Nichols not to quit the show because of how big of a role model she had become to African American children.

Nichols' version of this story has varied wildly over the years (a Star Trek star embellishes the truth, who could have thunk it). The truth is that they met briefly at a event (I think it was at what is now Johnson Space Center). Nichols' own statements from the time don't match up with what she says now (she never seriously considered leaving the show until about halfway through the second season, but this encounter with King would have happened during the first). It's a charming tale but it's very much a tall tale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean it was the 60s, a couple of years after government mandated segregation had ended, so you need to take it in context

Segregation didn't end in the 60s.