Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It looks neat, but I'm a little worried by this paragraph:

quote:

The Resistance is bolstered by an unlikely alliance of radical Leftists, right wing militias, Christian extremists, and wealthy entrepreneurs, whose grievances with the Regime overpower the seething contempt they have for each other. As linchpins of the Resistance, the Receivers must take great pains to prevent the alliance from fracturing. If they allow ideology to trump strategy, the factions will fall back on their worst tendencies, handing the Regime the political victories it needs to maintain a stranglehold on the people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lemon-Lime posted:

As you should be, that's undiluted libertarian bullshit.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I like the "wealthy entrepreneurs", which are more than likely randian capitalists.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Yeah, that paragraph raised an eyebrow from me - particularly as the chance of right wing militias *fighting* home-grown fascism seems pretty slim when most are enthusiastically volunteering their service at anti-trump protests.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Vehementi posted:

I backed it this morning but there's still time to bail. Can you point me to the Folklore previews that influenced you?
I'd say the recent Dice Tower review that was posted a couple of days ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APqw0oHRmxk
It was a positive review, but I saw the gameplay laid out and wasn't really impressed.
I also scanned through an official gameplay demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WadWK6SwYyQ

I also read a comment on a BGG review where someone was calculating that in a sample combat scenario, they'd have to roll the dice like 72 times to kill a monster or something like that. It just seemed too much out of the player's hands. There were also some mixed reviews of the mini quality and again the idea that you really need to have 3-4 characters to survive well turned me off (I usually play 2-player games or solo).

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Lemon-Lime posted:

The one thing that I remember about Cryptomancer, besides that adorable 'encrypt face' spell, was the 'no, really, you're ultimately just hosed' endgame. In other hands, that paragraph wouldn't ring uncomfortably prophetic to me.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Flavivirus posted:

Yeah, that paragraph raised an eyebrow from me - particularly as the chance of right wing militias *fighting* home-grown fascism seems pretty slim when most are enthusiastically volunteering their service at anti-trump protests.

"The Regime" appears to be a shibboleth for "any form of government that will tell me what to do" rather than actual fascism - not that libertarians see a difference. This is pretty much guaranteed to be a "they want to take our guns" scenario.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Jedit posted:

"The Regime" appears to be a shibboleth for "any form of government that will tell me what to do" rather than actual fascism - not that libertarians see a difference. This is pretty much guaranteed to be a "they want to take our guns" scenario.

Given the expansion content, I read that paragraph as more being 'this is not an -explicitly- liberal game set in the modern political environment', but I don't know the author well enough to know if they're dogwhistling to the randbots.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I assumed they were trying to broaden their audience to get more backers. Make that sweet centrist money :getin::20bux:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
lol forever at the pearl-clutching over the KS pitch outside of this thread.

quote:

Ethical insurgency = Violence against people you disagree with. So ethical!

Serf
May 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

lol forever at the pearl-clutching over the KS pitch outside of this thread.

the disagreement? whether or not you should be allowed to continue living.

also lol at the idea of the wealthy opposing a fascist state

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The premise is that cryptofascist redneck militias, Christian extremists, Randroids and "radical Leftists" are going to team up against "The Government," but watch out, if you try to ~make this political~, you lose.

That's a whole lot of dogwhistles.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

I wasn't really feeling the libertarian subtext, but hmmmmm

Sigmata KS comments posted:

Two of my most influential advisers represented polar extremes. One of them is an evangelical libertarian heavily involved in his church community, while the other is an anarcho-punk who has actually smuggled food and supplies to refugee camps in distressed countries.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I remember getting some weird vibes bout the author's politics when I read through Cryptomancer, although I can't remember exactly what it was I was feeling or why. I think I'll wait and see how this pans out.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

potatocubed posted:

I remember getting some weird vibes bout the author's politics when I read through Cryptomancer, although I can't remember exactly what it was I was feeling or why. I think I'll wait and see how this pans out.

Well, I'd imagine that's just on 'is a techbro' which makes being libertarian approximately 80% more likely.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Never seen a liberterian actually do the solidarity thing (in fact it's kind of against their ethos) so this dude's politics are definitely fringe.

I'm gonna wait and see how he addresses it.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

HazCat posted:

I wasn't really feeling the libertarian subtext, but hmmmmm

"my most influential advisors are someone who cares only for himself and those like him and would see others dead before losing even a single dollar and someone who has done actual good and put his rear end on the line for those less fortunate than himself"

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That's how you zero in on the truth in the middle, duh.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Bieeardo posted:

The one thing that I remember about Cryptomancer, besides that adorable 'encrypt face' spell, was the 'no, really, you're ultimately just hosed' endgame. In other hands, that paragraph wouldn't ring uncomfortably prophetic to me.

Could you elaborate more on the end game? Spoiler it if you must but I want to know.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I don't know if anyone else backed Whelps to Wyrms, but I'm at the end of my patience with the project creator. He screwed up months after the project ended and realized that he couldn't afford to make the game with the funds raised and has been ignoring any calls for refunds / providing no updates / rarely logging in to KS. I guess I should have been expecting a few failures out of the tons of KS I've backed, but it still stings.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

clockworkjoe posted:

Could you elaborate more on the end game? Spoiler it if you must but I want to know.

What I remember of the F&F, PCs are ultimately hosed. The Powers that Be have all the money, all the power, and all of the firepower, and will not hesitate to flatten a city with intercontinental fireballs to make an example of what happens to people who harbour PCs what have tried to gently caress with the natural order of things. They will be betrayed, they will be tracked down, they will take magic missiles, execution style.

It's an interesting thought experiment, and I imagine you could get an intriguing novel or three out of it, but as an RP setting it felt far too nihilistic for my liking, and actually playing with the encryption conceit looked drier than stale toast.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Lemon-Lime posted:

I don't think I've ever gone so quickly from "hype" to "bleh" with a kickstarter before.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Bieeardo posted:

What I remember of the F&F, PCs are ultimately hosed. The Powers that Be have all the money, all the power, and all of the firepower, and will not hesitate to flatten a city with intercontinental fireballs to make an example of what happens to people who harbour PCs what have tried to gently caress with the natural order of things. They will be betrayed, they will be tracked down, they will take magic missiles, execution style.

It's an interesting thought experiment, and I imagine you could get an intriguing novel or three out of it, but as an RP setting it felt far too nihilistic for my liking, and actually playing with the encryption conceit looked drier than stale toast.

Basically PCs have a heat rating called Risk that represents how much the PCs are hated by the secret conspiracy that rules the world. There is no way to reduce Risk so if a campaign goes on long enough you go out in a blaze of glory. It is fairly nihilistic but to some extent the game is agitprop so that seems fitting.

In terms of Cryptomancer as a general game the setting and non-hacking based mechanics are interesting, but didn't really grab me. I'd be way more likely to port over the hacking systems and some elements of the setting into Eberron or something than run the game by the rules.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Falstaff posted:

I don't think I've ever gone so quickly from "hype" to "bleh" with a kickstarter before.

Yeah, me too. It's annoying that the creator is being so coy about how politics will play into it, too.

Like, I would be 100% cool with a setting where players have to decide whether 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' or whether they need to take a stand and not work with groups they idealogically oppose, or if they are put into positions where they have to choose between two courses of action (each course supported by a group they are idealogically opposed to).

I'm not cool with a ruleset that will have players debating the mechanical benefits of playing as a Nazi, or a setting that ham-handedly posits that obviously working with Nazis is the correct option as long as you are both opposing Big Government, and only stupid fake activists would disagree with that.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Why doesn't someone just ask him? Know what I'll send a private message asking him. I'm sure if I mention on the fence backers without saying what side they're on, I can get a straight answer: money pressure should move lips.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Un-backed Folklore. The gameplay just looks bad and then we are in a situation of "I sure hope this board game with lovely core mechanics has a good story" and then why am I playing a board game again?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I'll be honest, I got much more of an "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" vibe from that passage. Like, yeah, I don't like libertarians, but I'll stand side by side with them against nazis. Plus, any minimal weird political stuff in the book can be ignored, or I'll use one of the alternate settings from the stretch goals. The idea is promising, and Cryptomancer is excellent, so I doubt I'm gonna unpledge short of something fairly egregious.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think it's kinda dumb that they look like robot people

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

Why doesn't someone just ask him? Know what I'll send a private message asking him. I'm sure if I mention on the fence backers without saying what side they're on, I can get a straight answer: money pressure should move lips.

There you go, bringing sense into it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Bieeardo posted:

There you go, bringing sense into it.

I sent him a message through kickstarter. If he gets back to me, I'll tell you what he said.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Thanks. While baseless supposition is fun, I am curious as to where he's going with it.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

HazCat posted:

I'm not cool with a ruleset that will have players debating the mechanical benefits of playing as a Nazi, or a setting that ham-handedly posits that obviously working with Nazis is the correct option as long as you are both opposing Big Government, and only stupid fake activists would disagree with that.

the kickstarter posted:

Players assume the role of Receivers, the superheroic vanguard of the Resistance, who possess incredible powers when in range of FM radio towers emitting a mysterious number sequence called "The Signal." When the Signal is up, Receivers lead the charge against battalions of Regime infantry and armor or serve as the People's Shield, protecting mass demonstrations from the brutality of a militarized police force and neo-Nazi hooligans. When the Signal is down, however, Receivers are mere mortals, desperately fleeing from a powerful state that senses their weakness.

again the kickstarter posted:

SIGMATA takes place in a dystopian vision of America where fascists have taken control of the government. The Regime fosters white supremacy, religious bigotry, and Cold War hysteria to turn America's fury against already marginalized populations, all while plundering America's coffers and thrusting the country into pointless proxy wars all over the globe. To punish internal threats to "Real America," the Regime rewrote the U.S. Constitution to establish the Freedom Fist, a complete merger of military and law enforcement, which dutifully executes the fascists' national program of mass incarceration and deportation.

it literally says right there you are fighting against neo nazis, so i dunno where your confusion is coming from

alt right/nazi ≠ everything rightwing

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

it literally says right there you are fighting against neo nazis, so i dunno where your confusion is coming from

It says you work with right wing militias. There's no basically such thing as a non-nazi right wing militia

Serf
May 5, 2011

both the wealthy and the right-wing militias are gonna end up fighting for the nazis lol

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

That's less and less true by the hour these days.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

In the case of a full-scale fascist dystopia you would probably have some anti-government rebels who would qualify as libertarian or right-wing in general.

But yeah that'd be an edge case since your average conservative militia is going to be the first in line to sign up for Brownshirt duty.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
OK, I have an idea for a game taking place in an alternate history where the nazis have invaded America. You have to assemble a team of patriotic KKK members to fight them, funded by captains of industry like JP Morgan and Henry Ford

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
lmbo

Covok
May 27, 2013

Bieeardo posted:

Thanks. While baseless supposition is fun, I am curious as to where he's going with it.

This is verbatim what he said to me. Only part I censored out is my own name. I'll present without comment and let people decide on their own.

Chad Walker posted:

Thank you for supporting the project. The game's politics do not align with
any single modern American political ideology. Armed resistance against
against state tyranny is very right wing. Protecting and liberating
political prisoners, detained immigrants, and marginalized peoples is very
left wing. The game imagines a space that isn't "centrist", but simply a
temporary overlap of interests between groups forced into compromise
because of an extreme emergency.

Writing the game was an exercise in empathy. I was forced to consider how
political groups that I absolutely hate in real life were well-intentioned
and even heroic in certain ways. However, I did not design a setting where
these diverse groups are just going to "hug it out" and defend freedom.
That's naive. I designed a setting where each of these groups are making
strategic political decisions to get the outcomes they desire. The
Receivers (players) will have to navigate this gray space strategically,
not emotionally, if the want to defeat the enemy.

You can share this with your concerned friends, or with whomever. They have
to make their own path, politically, and do what they think is right. All I
care about is victory against fascists. We can go back to arguing over the
usual nonsense once that necessary mission is complete.

Sincerely,

Chad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Covok posted:

This is verbatim what he said to me. Only part I censored out is my own name. I'll present without comment and let people decide on their own.

quote:

Armed resistance against against state tyranny is very right wing.

If it's supposed to be a fantasy game you'd think he'd have spelled that out more clearly in the Kickstarter.