Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

vyst posted:

Creamsicle orange is hideous, hth

:wrong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I hope this happens, but at this point it wouldn’t surprise me if something went wrong.

Also lots of chatter that he really wants the Louisville job when it opens.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Real Name Grover posted:

Has anyone called Mark Helfrich yet

I'm kind of surprised nobody's tried to hire him as an OC but from recent interviews with him, it doesn't sound like he's in a rush to get back to coaching.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
drat that loving sucks about Brohm. I don't want Boiler to lose their coach and I don't want him in Florida's division. I figured he'd hang around a few years and take a big job later. Maybe wait out Petrino at Louisville and go there.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/mbakertbtimes/status/935924287256571904

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Jimbo to Arkanhahahaha

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

It sure seems very unlikely he stays at FSU now. Bring me Taggart!

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

an adult beverage posted:

drat that loving sucks about Brohm. I don't want Boiler to lose their coach and I don't want him in Florida's division. I figured he'd hang around a few years and take a big job later. Maybe wait out Petrino at Louisville and go there.

Some recruit just posted a picture of himself, his mom, Holt and Brohm at his house today or last night, if Jeff is negotiating with Tennessee (he doesn't use an agent very much), he's doing a fantastic loving job of covering it up.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
i mean i don't really buy a lot of things that come out of UT these days, but brohm is a way better hire than they deserve after this poo poo show

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

wernox posted:

Some recruit just posted a picture of himself, his mom, Holt and Brohm at his house today or last night, if Jeff is negotiating with Tennessee (he doesn't use an agent very much), he's doing a fantastic loving job of covering it up.

I don't think Tennessee and Brohm have even talked face to face. Maybe they talked over the phone, but I have a feeling Hyams might be jumping the gun here.

Edit:

Well he is going all in

https://twitter.com/JimmyHyams/status/935930384306573313

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

tactlessbastard posted:

I still want to know how you're supposed to get rid of a lovely coach who isn't even trying anymore when the AD inexplicably refuses to fire him.

It was clear Bret should be fired so if he was really not on board then they did the right thing. I've not heard that confirmed and had heard that basically he is an intellectual Yankee that yokels on the board of trustees wanted out. He wasn't willing to "win at all cost" I assume and no one seemed to care about the academics and personal development that I think was a hallmark of the Long era. It's so nice knowing that all your recruits/signees will enroll and not immediately kill someone.

DJExile posted:

I mean, yeah I don't blame Arkansas at all for wanting Bert out, and if Long had to go along with him then so be it, but step 1 for Arkansas now is to get a new AD in place.

I suppose. Unless a HC candidate wanted a role in choosing them.

As for why Gus would come back, I think it is just crazy people thinking everyone from Arkansas is just dying to go back. I guess he does have a lot of connections and has had some shaky years at Auburn. He's one bad year away from being fired at any time, it seems. But he was mistreated the last time he was here so if there is any stated interest I'd bet it is just a desire to get some satisfaction along with a hefty raise from Auburn. Certainly doesn't make sense to go to Arkansas for any other reason.

As for why the coaching search is quiet and how that has to point to Gus, remember that Norvell is also playing this weekend as well. I'm not too worried about getting a coach this week but would love to see someone on Sunday. If Gus loses and wants to come I'd love to have him. Norvell would be great, as well. Chad Morris, Brohm (he'd been brought up but sounds like he is UT bound), Venables, Charlie Strong, Blake Anderson, etc. all seem like fine choices to me. There's always that sense of excitement when you get a new coach, can't wait!

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

It was clear Bret should be fired so if he was really not on board then they did the right thing. I've not heard that confirmed and had heard that basically he is an intellectual Yankee that yokels on the board of trustees wanted out. He wasn't willing to "win at all cost" I assume and no one seemed to care about the academics and personal development that I think was a hallmark of the Long era. It's so nice knowing that all your recruits/signees will enroll and not immediately kill someone.

I suppose. Unless a HC candidate wanted a role in choosing them.

As for why Gus would come back, I think it is just crazy people thinking everyone from Arkansas is just dying to go back. I guess he does have a lot of connections and has had some shaky years at Auburn. He's one bad year away from being fired at any time, it seems. But he was mistreated the last time he was here so if there is any stated interest I'd bet it is just a desire to get some satisfaction along with a hefty raise from Auburn. Certainly doesn't make sense to go to Arkansas for any other reason.

As for why the coaching search is quiet and how that has to point to Gus, remember that Norvell is also playing this weekend as well. I'm not too worried about getting a coach this week but would love to see someone on Sunday. If Gus loses and wants to come I'd love to have him. Norvell would be great, as well. Chad Morris, Brohm (he'd been brought up but sounds like he is UT bound), Venables, Charlie Strong, Blake Anderson, etc. all seem like fine choices to me. There's always that sense of excitement when you get a new coach, can't wait!

you should not let your hc pick his boss

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

It disappoints me that after all of this Tennessee actually lands Jeff Brohm

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

you should not let your hc pick his boss

Or his student-athlete development coordinator

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

The revolution was successful apparently

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/si_ncaafb/status/935933141679828993

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Sumlin back to his alma mater then?

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

nate fisher posted:

I don't think Tennessee and Brohm have even talked face to face. Maybe they talked over the phone, but I have a feeling Hyams might be jumping the gun here.

Edit:

Well he is going all in

https://twitter.com/JimmyHyams/status/935930384306573313

I don't know how they can, it will cost an extra $1M to do it before 12/05.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fans on reddit saying Brohm would be a bad/mediocre hire and that we need to go get Lane right now.

Fellas I’m starting to think they don’t know what the gently caress they’re talking about

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Jessee Simonton posted:

While there's a report that Tennessee is set to announce Jeff Brohm as its next head coach, sources indicate to VolQuest that the news is premature and no deal has been reached.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

:getin:

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I like this little Vol Quest vs Jimmy Hyams media spat that developed

Hyams probably right though

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

vyst posted:

It disappoints me that after all of this Tennessee actually lands Jeff Brohm

He's the enema they needed.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

https://twitter.com/ChrisJungKNE/status/935932559091027968

so either brohm lied to a recruit (doesn't seem like his brand) or someone jumped the gun

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Just lol if they torpedo Brohm to ride the Lane Train again.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Acelerion posted:

VolQuest also said we had Gruden while the entire time Hyams was making GBS threads on the whole thing.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Just lol if they torpedo Brohm to ride the Lane Train again.

i don't think lane wants the job but is enjoying trolling

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

Purdue says there has been no contact

So I'm going to go get some work done now.

EDIT: I've met Coach Brohm a couple of times at booster stuff, he's decent, genuine honest guy who knows what it feels like to be a player and loves the idea of coaching at a place that has a really decent QB tradition. I think he would definately leave if Louisville were on the phone...but he'd take a big chunk of his staff with him, much like he did from WKU. I just don't see him stepping into a job where he can't have his kid with him on the sidelines and the Tennessee crowd seems crazy.

That being said, $5m/yr is a lot of money.

I've also met Mike Bobinski, I think he understands the cost of doing business in the college football world. I think if money were the issue he'd find the resources he needed to make it not be an issue.

wernox fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 29, 2017

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

https://twitter.com/ChrisJungKNE/status/935932559091027968

so either brohm lied to a recruit (doesn't seem like his brand) or someone jumped the gun

Or whoever the gently caress Chris Jung is is lying

e: not believing anything until we go

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

peep the tweet from said recruit my man

I meant that the recruit said Brohm told him he wasn’t leaving for Tennessee. I know that he was with the recruit, but I dont see anywhere the kid said that.

That said I’m still not believing anything until we have someone being officially introduced.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 29, 2017

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Joey Freshwater posted:

Or whoever the gently caress Chris Jung is is lying

peep the tweet from said recruit my man

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Acelerion posted:

Hyams is very conservative and right most of the times (outside of the black jersey game in 2009) when he calls it. Still he is the only one saying this right now. I need to hear a true second or something official first. My gut tells me Vol Quest is correct.

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

If Taggart leaves Oregon, who do the Ducks pick up?

Petersen is obviously the dream hire, but very doubtful that he'd leave UW even for a ton of cash, especially given previous overtures to him. Wilcox? Frost, if a deal isn't done w/ Nebraska?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Sent from my iPad posted:

Petersen is obviously the dream hire, but very doubtful that he'd leave UW even for a ton of cash, especially given previous overtures to him. Wilcox? Frost, if a deal isn't done w/ Nebraska?

Oregon is apparently backing a truck of money up, so prolly not happening.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Sent from my iPad posted:

I have no idea either. Harsin and Beau Baldwin were brought up last year. I saw another report about Oregon doing their due diligence and considered Frost 'not available'.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Called it:

https://twitter.com/johncanzanobft/status/935934966122266624

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Hyams is dug in like an Alabama tick

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Hyams being the only one reporting this is making me real nervous..

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

wernox posted:

Purdue says there has been no contact

So I'm going to go get some work done now.

EDIT: I've met Coach Brohm a couple of times at booster stuff, he's decent, genuine honest guy who knows what it feels like to be a player and loves the idea of coaching at a place that has a really decent QB tradition. I think he would definately leave if Louisville were on the phone...but he'd take a big chunk of his staff with him, much like he did from WKU. I just don't see him stepping into a job where he can't have his kid with him on the sidelines and the Tennessee crowd seems crazy.

That being said, $5m/yr is a lot of money.

I've also met Mike Bobinski, I think he understands the cost of doing business in the college football world. I think if money were the issue he'd find the resources he needed to make it not be an issue.
No contact between Brohm and Tennessee, sure. But there could be contact between Tennessee and Brohm's agent.

I recall the dark days of Bill Self saying "I don't know who Kansas is talking to, but I know they are not talking to Bill Self." Welp.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Chris Low saying now its not done either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Kind of wonder if this is a walk back because he didnt want it out before he told team or something.

Its really not like Hyams to gently caress something like this up, but stranger things have happened.

• Locked thread