Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

The Shortest Path posted:

I love me some trashy anime, I watch a lot of it, but Elfen Lied is not the good kind of trashy. It's the "get sad drunk and ponder why you bother anymore" kind of trashy.

Had a memorable, sad intro song, though. (immediately started playing in my head soon as it was mentioned, a decade or so after I saw it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Elfen Lied isn't trashy, it's lovely.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

a kitten posted:

Not both?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Had a memorable, sad intro song, though. (immediately started playing in my head soon as it was mentioned, a decade or so after I saw it)

Lilium is really good, yeah.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Rinkles posted:

I bounced off Psycho-pass hard (e: dammit too much hard bouncing on this page). But I've never seen anyone else dislike it. Maybe I was in the wrong mood.

I have definitely enjoyed movies I initially hated after approaching them again with a different disposition.

Psycho-Pass has a very peculiar sense of humor and the first episode is (perhaps deliberately) misleading in terms of tone. The viewer kind of has to buy in to the initial premise for the show to work, and make the association between that premise and real-life problems. Once that association is in place, it's free to be incredibly silly because it doesn't need to be self-serious to be serious, if that makes sense.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rinkles posted:

I bounced off Psycho-pass hard (e: dammit too much hard bouncing on this page). But I've never seen anyone else dislike it. Maybe I was in the wrong mood.

I have definitely enjoyed movies I initially hated after approaching them again with a different disposition.

I only made it two episodes in, largely because the protagonist really rubbed me the wrong way for various reasons.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Rinkles posted:

I hated it. It had a few cool concepts that it really didn't do enough with (mainly the holographic everything) and the main premise was way too 19th century CRIMINAL BRAIN nonsense with no real critique of that, instead focusing on the much more boring "is killing wrong?"

So you're not the only one who didn't like it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Splode posted:

I hated it. It had a few cool concepts that it really didn't do enough with (mainly the holographic everything) and the main premise was way too 19th century CRIMINAL BRAIN nonsense with no real critique of that, instead focusing on the much more boring "is killing wrong?"

Uhhh I feel like I watched a totally different show because it seemed like there was plenty of critique of the core concept of the Sibyl system. Sure, most of the characters you see are perfectly fine with it, that's kind of the point.

Season 2 is basically a completely different show which stole the characters and some of the setting to do its own thing and it's not awful, but it's a lot worse and should be ignored.

Everything Burrito posted:

I only made it two episodes in, largely because the protagonist really rubbed me the wrong way for various reasons.

I thought she was great, I can't think of another anime with a character like her, especially as the main protagonist.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'm in the mood for something really lovely : A sci-fi/mecha harem show that focuses more on comedy than the mecha fights.

IE : Something akin to Vandread or Dual Parallel Trouble Adventure.

I have watched Martian Successor Nadesico. It was OK. What else is in this admittedly small niche of shows?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

It's not a harem but Majestic Prince is is a sci-fi mecha comedy that made me laugh a lot and also has fantastic fight choreography.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

khy posted:

I'm in the mood for something really lovely : A sci-fi/mecha harem show that focuses more on comedy than the mecha fights.

I have watched Martian Successor Nadesico. It was OK. What else is in this admittedly small niche of shows?

The Irresponsible Captain Tylor? (unless you meant scifi "and" Mecha, not "or")

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Droyer posted:

It's not a harem but Majestic Prince

are you sure

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

are you sure

Ok it was that one time.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Rinkles posted:

The Irresponsible Captain Tylor? (unless you meant scifi "and" Mecha, not "or")

I did mean 'or'. I've heard of that and I think I watched an ep or two but I ought to watch the whole thing.

Haven't heard of Majestic Prince before, will check it out.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

a kitten posted:

Thank you for your gentle input.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Splode posted:

RabidWeasel posted:

Uhhh I feel like I watched a totally different show because it seemed like there was plenty of critique of the core concept of the Sibyl system. Sure, most of the characters you see are perfectly fine with it, that's kind of the point.

Season 2 is basically a completely different show which stole the characters and some of the setting to do its own thing and it's not awful, but it's a lot worse and should be ignored.

I am of the third way. I remember watching Psycho-Pass years ago, but can't remember a drat thing about it. It left basically no impression on me.

Also, to add to Heavy Metal's watch list: Catch the Brootherhood remake of Full Metal Alchemist. Also, Kaiba if you want some psychedelic poo poo to get high with.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

silentsnack posted:

Those Who Hunt Elves
riding into the sunset on a tank: "We're going to strip down every last elf in this world until we get back home to JAPAN!"

Only in anime.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

khy posted:

Saber Marionette J

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

khy posted:

Godannar

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Heavy Metal posted:

Looking for some anime recommendations from 2010 to now or so!

To make it more specific as per the op, I'm not currently looking for slice of life stuff, stuff about kids/in a school setting, etc. I guess that leaves dramas that are eventful, thrillers, fight things, comedies, action adventure, and whatnot. Pretty much, looking for cool stuff up my alley I might be missing out on, since I haven't been keeping up with anime as much in recent years.

One Piece, Kaiji, Jojo, Ippo Rising, One Punch Man, Lupin, and Rainbow are some I've enjoyed during this time period. I'll try Academia sometime, trying that Fate/Zero show next. I love the oldschool stuff mentioned in this thread by the way.
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

I hear the anime adaptation of Yona of the Dawn is quite good as well, though personally I just stick to the manga. Which is super good. You should read Yona of the Dawn. Or watch the anime, I guess. It's about a pampered princess whose father, the king(obviously), gets merc'd, and her retainer takes her and flees into the wilds before she can be killed too. She then has to learn to survive in the wild, and it is a ridiculously well-written, dramatic, politically inclined, surprisingly funny, and super well-paced take on a fantasy-ish not-Korea setting. also somewhat of a reverse harem though there's really only the one guy

I'm gonna post some gifs now

~kawaii blissfully ignorant princess~

aware of the injustices of the world princess

fuckin' badass huntress princess

the crew

skwerl (it is a main character)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Thanks for the recommendations, lot of quality looking shows! And I was gonna post Godannar for that mecha/comedy recommendation too, fun show. Mazinkaiser OVAs don't quite fit that but are terrific with some good comedy and Go Nagai wackiness. And agreed Captain Tyler rocks.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Nipponophile posted:

Saber Marionette J

There's a blast from the past. I saw that like, a decade ago. Interesting show.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There are a lot of 90s era anime that I definitely loved when I first started watching and wonder how they hold up now; Saber Marionette J was one of them. I remember thinking it had surprisingly heartfelt characterization for most of the cast, heros and villains, and was just kind of fun in general. It and Slayers defined Megumi Hayashibara for me for a long while.

Never saw the sequels because the art in them looked real, real bad.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

FWIW I thought that Yona of the Dawn (anime) was pretty bad and if everyone's genders were switched it would be absolutely generic as gently caress. If Yona didn't have to be repeatedly saved by her father's murderer who she is also absurdly, cripplingly enfatuated with then I'd probably rate it a bit higher but that poo poo pissed me off a lot. Maybe the manga moves on from this point but I wasn't exactly loving it even ignoring the spoiler. Also suffers from hypercompetent ally syndrome which somewhat blunts Yona's own character development.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm gonna post some gifs now

This looks wicked fuckin cute and good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

FWIW I thought that Yona of the Dawn (anime) was pretty bad and if everyone's genders were switched it would be absolutely generic as gently caress. If Yona didn't have to be repeatedly saved by her father's murderer who she is also absurdly, cripplingly enfatuated with then I'd probably rate it a bit higher but that poo poo pissed me off a lot. Maybe the manga moves on from this point but I wasn't exactly loving it even ignoring the spoiler. Also suffers from hypercompetent ally syndrome which somewhat blunts Yona's own character development.
lol

protip: literally everything in this post is both stupid and factually wrong.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

RabidWeasel posted:

Maybe the manga moves on from this point
That's putting it quite lightly.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

RabidWeasel posted:

Er? Yona is saved a bunch by her retainer, Hak, I don't recall many times Soo-Won saves her if at all, intentionally. The gist of the story is largely about her growing as a person to be able to survive without Hak guarding her every move, and also a lot of development is her figuring out what she needs to do about Soo-Won, that he killed her father, that she wants revenge but at the same time doesn't because she believes he did it for SOME reason and doesn't want to believe her beloved cousin who she's spent so much time with throughout her life is truly evil, that maybe her father wasn't the idol she envisioned after all, that the country is in serious trouble from a variety of things from famine, to drugs being spread among the populace to sow dissonance, border friction with neighboring countries, and gathering the planeteers The Four Dragons among other things.

It's also got a surprising amount of slapstick comedy that somehow doesn't feel out of place despite some SERIOUS FUCKIN' poo poo being displayed in-panel a lot of the time.

Yona is a shojo series, but barely. I feel like it might make the jump to josei with the way it's been going, similar to how Jojo went from shonen to seinen.

The Shortest Path posted:

This looks wicked fuckin cute and good.
it super fuckin is

that dang skwerl is in every single panel another character(once they show up) is in and it's really fun to look for'im doing various things while the main cast is often conducting serious business or shenanigans

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Endorph posted:

lol

protip: literally everything in this post is both stupid and factually wrong.

I'm not going back to see exactly what happens and when but what I do remember quite clearly is that the first thing that happened to her after the "pirate magistrate" arc was her getting temporary brain damage and having to be protected by Soo-Woon (in a rediculous deus ex machina way, as well, as far as I recall he is randomly just in the right place at the right time by total coincidence). It's about the last major plot event that happens in the anime and was sufficiently stupid that it completely removed any desire I had to see the story continue. It just ruins the story for me when Yona is beaten over the head with a stick saying "it doesn't matter how hard you try to grow and be independent, :biotruths:" especially immediately after a cool scene where she gets to do something decisive instead of having the harem take care of everything for her. It goes bizarrely against the main theme of the show and if this was a lovely anime addition or something then I'm glad that the source material is better.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
IIRC he was investigating the situation in that port independently; one of the larger plot points of Yona is that ostensibly the leader of the country wants to do right by his people and identifies all of the problems/conflicts well ahead of time just like the main crew, but is always late to the situation because Yona and her crew are basically the A-Team and beat him to the punch. Regardless, what you outlined was a rare occurrence and I would never in a million years describe Yona's feelings for Soo-Woon as "infatuated"; "complicated" certainly, but that goes without saying.

Anyway it's hard to know how to respond to your statements in general because from start to finish they are sooo going against the grain of basically every facet of what I think of Yona of the Dawn. For a long, long while now Yona has been the heart & soul of the entire manga and easily the main driving force for getting poo poo done in whatever conflict the story has her in. She will never have the raw fighting power that her dragons possess but she's showcase time and time again in the manga how she doesn't need them to be powerful in the ways that actually matter for helping her country's people. So hearing you talk about her as some sort of :biotruths: situation is unfathomably alien to me.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Also a leader doesn't necessarily need to be a fighter, either.

She thinks about soo-won a lot because he loving killed her dad and took the country in a coup, but seems to be a just and sound leader, however unjustly taken his leadership is. So she is conflicted by having this person she cared for deeply all her life suddenly take everything away from her and her family, but also is doing a lot of good to help the people of Kouka Kingdom. It's quite complicated and I don't want to get into too specific spoilers, but she isn't dazzled by his radiance or anything. Least, not after the prologue.

As for the dragons, well, they are the sword and shield of hiryu. It makes sense for them to be far more powerful than yona could ever be, as they are inhumanly strong.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I was really getting confused so I just rewatched that scene and uh apparently I remembered it fairly substantially differently from what actually happened so my bad :v:

I wasn't enjoying the show that much by the end (I really hate 'Lu Bu overpowered' characters and Yona has at least 3 in the main cast; I don't really give a poo poo that they're in-character inhumanly strong, that doesn't make it any more interesting) and I probably let my general distaste for that warp my perception of the narrative into something different from what it actually was. I have the exact same problem with Legend of Arslan (and Daryun is actually worse sometimes with his magic horse) but for obvious reasons that can't accidentally be read as thinly veiled misogyny.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

I'm not going back to see exactly what happens and when but what I do remember quite clearly is that the first thing that happened to her after the "pirate magistrate" arc was her getting temporary brain damage and having to be protected by Soo-Woon (in a rediculous deus ex machina way, as well, as far as I recall he is randomly just in the right place at the right time by total coincidence). It's about the last major plot event that happens in the anime and was sufficiently stupid that it completely removed any desire I had to see the story continue. It just ruins the story for me when Yona is beaten over the head with a stick saying "it doesn't matter how hard you try to grow and be independent, :biotruths:" especially immediately after a cool scene where she gets to do something decisive instead of having the harem take care of everything for her. It goes bizarrely against the main theme of the show and if this was a lovely anime addition or something then I'm glad that the source material is better.
lol

RabidWeasel posted:

for obvious reasons that can't accidentally be read as thinly veiled misogyny.
because you didnt decide you wanted to read it as thinly veiled misogyny?

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I watched the Yona anime and I thought it was pretty good, so I read the manga and it's fuckin' great and Yona kicks rear end.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

silentsnack posted:

Best tank anime is Those Who Hunt Elves

Despite the silly premise, dorky humor, dated references, and never being interested in this sort of show before, I enjoyed this quite a bit. Didn't expect to grow attached to the characters.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Random grab-bag, any of these cool/good/not even worth touching?

• Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet

• Appleseed XIII (I've seen most of the movies)

• Blue Submarine No. 6

• Rhea Gall Force

• Mugen no Ryvius / Infinite Ryvius

• Geneshaft

• eX-Driver

• Silent Mobius

• Viper's Creed

• Armored Trooper Votoms

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Skip Gargantia.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I watched all of Gargantia and it's definitely flawed but the setting is interesting and Chamber is a very good robot. I remember Blue Sub 6 being kind of cool but I dunno how well it's aged.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Rinkles posted:

Random grab-bag, any of these cool/good/not even worth touching?
  • Armored Trooper Votoms
The next episode preview from the first episode:
"After escaping Rochina's clutches, Chirico once more descends into hell. In the aftermath of destruction dwells violence and desire in a new Sodom born of the Hundred Years War. Evil and treachery, corruption and confusion. All ground together as though poured from the same concrete mixer. Melkia's very own Gomorrah.

Next episode: Woodo.
Next week, Chirico takes you with him into hell!"

I love VOTOMS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Ryvius is a show i have really conflicted feelings on, but most of my experience watching it was enjoyable and i think it's interesting as a flawed show. so i'd definitely recommend it, maybe moreso if you go in knowing it's not a masterpiece, it's not just Lord of the Flies in space (there are mech/ship fights and gov't conspiracy), and the soundtrack is great as music but implemented atrociously in the show itself.