Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

i don't think lane wants the job but is enjoying trolling

That would be even funnier tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

gvibes posted:

No contact between Brohm and Tennessee, sure. But there could be contact between Tennessee and Brohm's agent.

I recall the dark days of Bill Self saying "I don't know who Kansas is talking to, but I know they are not talking to Bill Self." Welp.

Brohm didn't use an agent when he was hired by Purdue.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/brucefeldmancfb/status/935942867528310784

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Chris Low also said there are in discussion. So the part about them not talking seems untrue also.

Acelerion posted:

Kind of wonder if this is a walk back because he didnt want it out before he told team or something.

Its really not like Hyams to gently caress something like this up, but stranger things have happened.

My thoughts exactly.

Edit: I guess Hyams was on ESPN, and said Fulmer and Manning are behind this hire.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

https://twitter.com/ChrisJungKNE/status/935932559091027968

so either brohm lied to a recruit (doesn't seem like his brand) or someone jumped the gun

Man they all lie to recruits in this situation. I would almost guarantee he told some WKU commit the same stuff at some point. You don’t want to tell them you’re leaving until it’s official in case it breaks down at the last second (not that such a thing would ever happen at Tennessee)

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

MourningView posted:

Man they all lie to recruits in this situation. I would almost guarantee he told some WKU commit the same stuff at some point. You don’t want to tell them you’re leaving until it’s official in case it breaks down at the last second (not that such a thing would ever happen at Tennessee)

sure i guess, but it also seems like a deal "Wasn't done" or wasn't done enough

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Hyams is usually pretty on point so it's odd that he's doubled down so aggressively. He was the one saying that UT was in no way getting Gruden the whole time when everyone else was talking contract structures and plane movements. Either he was fed some bad info from someone he trusts or both sides are backtracking and Hyams let it out early.

Reddit seems to think it was Hyams judging public interest after what happened with Schiano but that's so dumb it might actually be true.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Pretty sure Hyams main source is Fulmer himself? so I don’t know what to think.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
^^^^^That is what I've always heard too.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Reddit seems to think it was Hyams judging public interest after what happened with Schiano but that's so dumb it might actually be true.

My theory is that his source is Fulmer. Fulmer got a yes, but it is time for the AD to lock it up.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Hyams doesnt judge public interest though, he gets fed poo poo directly from Haslam

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

Fans on reddit saying Brohm would be a bad/mediocre hire and that we need to go get Lane right now.

Fellas I’m starting to think they don’t know what the gently caress they’re talking about

Accurate. I think Brohm is a solid hire.

I can’t wait to check my phone at 3:30 break to see what else has developed.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My :tinfoil: theory is that he is coming to Tennessee but Hyams jumped the gun and everyone is backtracking because his buyout drops $1million in 6 days, so they're going to wait to put pen on paper then. It would be crazy not to wait the 6 days to save a mil.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I'm not a McElwain defender by any means, but I think this is a good move for Oregon St.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Joey Freshwater posted:

My :tinfoil: theory is that he is coming to Tennessee but Hyams jumped the gun and everyone is backtracking because his buyout drops $1million in 6 days, so they're going to wait to put pen on paper then. It would be crazy not to wait the 6 days to save a mil.

alternately hyams jumped the gun and hosed it up lol

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

alternately hyams jumped the gun and hosed it up lol

This is also entirely possible and wouldn't surprise me in the least

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Joey Freshwater posted:

My only issue with that is those are valuable recruiting days given the early signing period, and can the AD afford to wait that long given what happen? Still I agree.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

sportsgenius86 posted:

I'm not a McElwain defender by any means, but I think this is a good move for Oregon St.

Like what does he do differently that will make him better than what they’ve had though?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Joey Freshwater posted:

Between the early signing day and the public embarrassment that the search has been, I'd think it would be worth every cent of a million dollars to get it done right loving now.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

General Dog posted:

Between the early signing day and the public embarrassment that the search has been, I'd think it would be worth every cent of a million dollars to get it done right loving now.

This. And they can send the bill directly to the power players that keep loving this up

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

Like what does he do differently that will make him better than what they’ve had though?

I think at some place where he's not in the spotlight he could field a competent team on offense. I realize that sounds ridiculous after watching Florida but I think the guy was in way over his head going there and I don't think he's really AS bad as that whole run makes him seem.

Also, who the gently caress else are they going to get? I mean, I'd take Baldwin over him in a heartbeat but if that's not going to happen I don't see this as being so bad.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

Purdue isn't without resources guys, if they are counting on a big dollar figure to get it done, giving Purdue six days to match it would be a mistake.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

dphi posted:

I saw another report about Oregon doing their due diligence and considered Frost 'not available'.

:getin:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

sportsgenius86 posted:

I think at some place where he's not in the spotlight he could field a competent team on offense. I realize that sounds ridiculous after watching Florida but I think the guy was in way over his head going there and I don't think he's really AS bad as that whole run makes him seem.

Also, who the gently caress else are they going to get? I mean, I'd take Baldwin over him in a heartbeat but if that's not going to happen I don't see this as being so bad.

Personally if I were them I’d do something way different and go hard after an option guy, but why wouldn’t they be able to get Baldwin though? I guess maybe if Oregon opens up and they want him, but otherwise there aren’t any other open jobs that make sense for him.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

There are like five programs in limbo for the duration of the week because Florida State had to move heaven and earth to ensure they reach the TaxSlayer Bowl

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

Personally if I were them I’d do something way different and go hard after an option guy, but why wouldn’t they be able to get Baldwin though? I guess maybe if Oregon opens up and they want him, but otherwise there aren’t any other open jobs that make sense for him.

Yeah, Oregon State seems like the place where you could pull in like the guy from Army or Ken from Navy and go ham.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

wernox posted:

Purdue isn't without resources guys, if they are counting on a big dollar figure to get it done, giving Purdue six days to match it would be a mistake.

We allegedly offered Gundy 8 loving million, we here to steal yo coach (hopefully)

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

We allegedly offered Gundy 8 loving million, we here to steal yo coach (hopefully)

If we don't get him it will not be because of money. It will be some other crazy reason. This is Tennessee.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/footballscoop/status/935955692653105154

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

source: tennessee is throwing darts at the wall after wiffing on first choice, greg loving schiano

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Now if it goes there I don't see that hire going over too well with the fanbase.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

nate fisher posted:

Now if it goes there I don't see that hire going over too well with the fanbase.

Doeren seems like a decent-ish coach. He's been maybe a little underwhelming at NC State, but he's not Larry Fedora

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Tennessee is one more no from taking an ad out on Craigslist.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Call a Pelini brother for poo poo's sake

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Jimbo to the Aggies, Frost to FSU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I don't think Tennessee's decision to hire Greg Schiano is nearly as baffling as the idea that he was apparently the only candidate they ever even thought about.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Tennessee is one more no from taking an ad out on Craigslist.

I mean WVU once whiffed on like six people before hiring John Beilein and that worked out pretty well.

And holy poo poo did we dodge a bullet on loving Dan Dakich

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

The reports I heard said Gundy turned down $42M/6 years ($7M/yr)......I can't see them offering a guy with 1/5th the experience that much money, but heck, go Jeff if you can get it.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

General Dog posted:

I don't think Tennessee's decision to hire Greg Schiano is nearly as baffling as the idea that he was apparently the only candidate they ever even thought about.

-Did- they reach out to Gruden? Honest question.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

And holy poo poo did we dodge a bullet on loving Dan Dakich

holy hell yeah you did

Real Name Grover posted:

-Did- they reach out to Gruden? Honest question.

probably not. Gruden's made it patently clear for years now that he has no interest in going to the college game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

DJExile posted:

holy hell yeah you did

ed pastilong so very nearly hosed up the program forever but backed into both of the major hires he made lmao (rich was but a given, beilien)

• Locked thread