Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
By which I mean "Clint Eastwood," got mixed up for a tad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's really funny to me that, if we hadn't wandered in with our gigantic sandwiches, the film Poseidon would have played, in its entirety, to nobody, and for no reason.
that reminds me of nathan rabin's oogieloves experience where he was the only person there and within half an hour he was running laps around the inside of the movie theatre to stay sane

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The oogieloves was just special. I get the core idea ("interactive movie for kids!") seem like it's sound, but everything is botched and the fact parents are okay with their kids yelling at a TV at home, but not with 30-40 kids yelling in a theater.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I don't remember much of Trolls but this song was fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFuFm0m2wj0

I like the texture everything has.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Waffleman_ posted:

I haven't seen Trolls, but I know its biggest crime is leaving Clint Eastwood off the soundtrack.

You aren't happy?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
One thing I remember from Trolls is they had Anna Kendrick do multiple duets with Justin Timberlake, which was unkind. She's a decent singer but putting her right up against the real thing is, like, not fair. Reminded me of Little Shop of Horrors where Rick Moranis is singing across from Ellen Greene.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Nov 29, 2017

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

noyes posted:

that reminds me of nathan rabin's oogieloves experience where he was the only person there and within half an hour he was running laps around the inside of the movie theatre to stay sane
wait a minute, i just re-read the article for the first time in like five years and that apparently either wasn't the film or he wasn't the reviewer that did it alone and ended up running laps. anyway, in my head someone ran laps in an empty theatre playing oogieloves, it may have been me i don't know

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
or roger ebert

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

noyes posted:

or roger ebert

Twas what done him in.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

noyes posted:

wait a minute, i just re-read the article for the first time in like five years and that apparently either wasn't the film or he wasn't the reviewer that did it alone and ended up running laps. anyway, in my head someone ran laps in an empty theatre playing oogieloves, it may have been me i don't know

You're probably thinking about his review on Delgo.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

This is a pretty neat short about happiness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9dZQelULDk

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

ConfusedUs posted:

lol such subtle and original commentary about society.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ConfusedUs posted:

Counterpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWgTqLCLE8k

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ConfusedUs posted:

a guy who deeply loving needs to move out of New York or London or whatever, but never will

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I still like the look of it, even if the metaphor is overused, and hell I'll take that over 99% of applications of animation talent (e.g. student films that are a ~homage~ to someone's favorite anime).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Let's learn about the birth of Scrappy Doo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Let's absolutely not.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Let's absolutely not.

It's a man who is somewhat responsible describing his personal hell.

quote:

For reasons noted, everyone's first thought was to have Mel Blanc play the scrappy one. Mel was contacted. Mel was interested. Mel was too expensive. The great Mr. Blanc did not come cheap and at times, by whatever decision-making process he used to manage his career, he'd suddenly decide to up his price a few notches. One day, Joe Barbera said to me, "We should have no problem getting Mel. He just did Captain Caveman and a couple other jobs for us." The next day, Mr. B. told me, "Forget about Mel."

We forgot about Mel. Auditions were held. Actors tried out. One of the many who read for the role of Scrappy Doo was a gentleman named Frank Welker, who has done more cartoon voices than any three other people in the business combined…and yes, even if one of those three is Mel Blanc. Frank was already a member of the regular Scooby Doo cast, playing the role of Fred. He gave a pretty good audition and during it, he ad-libbed a little bit where Scrappy yelled a few fanfare notes and proclaimed, "Puppy power!"

Joe Barbera thought this was a great little catch-phrase for the character. He recalled how in the audition for the part of Fred Flintstone, actor Alan Reed had ad-libbed the immortal phrase, "Yabba dabba doo!" It didn't sound to me like the same kind of lightning strike but I was told to insert the rallying cry of "Puppy power" into the script. Then, to thank Welker for his brilliant idea, the part of Scrappy Doo was assigned to…Don Messick. Messick, who was also the voice of Scooby, had given the best audition, they decided.

Okay, fine. So Don would play Scooby and Scrappy, and my script was recorded.

Everything fine, right? Nope. A few days later, the folks over at ABC listened to the track and decided that Scrappy had the wrong voice. Talented as Don Messick was, he just wasn't the perfect Scrappy. So they listened to all the other auditions again and I think they even did some more…and they decided that the right voice for Scrappy was one that Daws Butler had done. Everyone concurred so they called in Daws, and they called back all the other actors (including Messick to play Scooby) and they re-recorded the entire script with Daws as Scrappy.

So now they were done, right? Nope again. After the track for that cartoon was edited, they decided that Scrappy still wasn't right. Again, they listened to all the past auditions. Again, they had a few more done. This time, they decided that a lady named Marilyn Schreffler had the perfect sound for Scooby's nephew. So everyone trudged back into the studio and they recorded my script for a third time. That went so well that three days later, they were back doing it again, this time with Frank Welker playing Scrappy.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

I don't really have anything new to add, but I also really enjoyed Coco. One thing that's kinda weird that I've noticed Pixar likes to do is as the technology has gotten better, their texturing has gotten a lot more realistic even when they designs themselves aren't. I usually notice it on the environments. I noticed it especially on the great grandmother in this, and I've usually noticed it on the environments.
I only saw it on a plane, granted, but there were some scenes in Cars 3 (the old racetrack stood out) that were photorealistic to the point that the goofy, cartoony cars themselves really stood out as not belonging there.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Apparently this is partly why Coco had 21 minutes of Frozen attached to its start:

https://twitter.com/pointedfox/status/935419758001897472

For some context, the tweeter was a WDAS employee for a good while (now at Blizzard Entertainment), and worked on Zootopia.

Not gonna lie, I really wanna know what the hell happened with Gigantic. (Granted, I'm not sure what Ralph Breaks the Internet getting a bump up in the schedule has to do with this Frozen short - was it supposed to air in front of Gigantic instead of Coco?)

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

noyes posted:

This movie resulted in this movie review that made me laugh so hard I was gasping.

https://youtu.be/X9SGhX6-SMw

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Shadow Hog posted:

(Granted, I'm not sure what Ralph Breaks the Internet getting a bump up in the schedule has to do with this Frozen short - was it supposed to air in front of Gigantic instead of Coco?)

It's probably due to how they contract animators, ie during pre-production they'll only have a small handful of staff, usually the directors and writers (and more) hammering away at a working script, and increase those numbers as they move into full production and need more manpower. They probably had a bunch of people signed on to work for Gigantic, but when it got canned they suddenly had a couple hundred or so guys they were paying to animate nothing. Seems logical they'd have them work on other projects, but if those other projects were still in pre-production then they'd have to get their scheduling bumped up. So instead they had the animators work on a short while the production schedule for the next movie gets sorted out.

So to answer your question, if Gigantic wasn't canceled, we wouldn't have gotten this short at all, since everybody would have been working on that instead.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Sexual Aluminum posted:

This movie resulted in this movie review that made me laugh so hard I was gasping.

*sees neckbeard with a fedora*

*closes tab*

No.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Totally Spies....THE MOVIE!!!

https://facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1867561109923881&id=250632714950070&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FvoFWUruKgC&_rdr

E: okay, this is just for a YouTube upload of the 2009 movie I guess.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 1, 2017

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Brad Jones seems like a genuinely cool dude and is one of like 3 movie reviewers on YouTube that doesn’t suck. His channel needs more love.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I'm inclined to agree, actually. At least, I like his Midnight Screenings series. Never really got into Cinema Snob.

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe

Yoshi Jjang posted:

You're probably thinking about his review on Delgo.
oh lol

i aspire to a delgo level of achievement in my life tbh. like who cares if the guy lost a poo poo tonne of money and became an international laughing stock. he made a
whole movie! people saw it! it was in cinemas! kids have weird taste and you never know what will resonate with someone to the point of lifelong obsession, that's what deviantart is all about. i guarantee you there was at least one kid in the world who sincerely loved delgo (and oogieloves, and maybe even bee movie) and it has probably shaped their life in a very strange but not necessarily negative way

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe
this is amazing

quote:

The next thing that occurred was an unusually ugly negotiation between my agent and the gent in charge of Business Affairs for Hanna-Barbera. The latter took the position that this was not a pilot; that it was just another episode of Scooby Doo, so it should pay the same mediocre fee as all other episodes. My agent took the position that this was a pilot because (a) it was introducing a new character and something of a new format and (b) the network would or would not order episodes based on my script. I would also be going through several weeks of network meetings and extra rewrites, something that did not usually transpire on your average episode. Therefore, he concluded, it was a pilot and better pay was appropriate.

The Biz Guy said no.

My agent said, "In that case, Mark isn't doing it."

The Biz Guy said fine, Mark isn't doing it…or anything else for the studio, ever again.

This was followed by the sound effect of the phone being slammed down. Then the Business Affairs guy called me at home and informed me that my days of writing for Hanna-Barbera were over. In fact, I should not bother trying to set foot in the studio again as I would be turned away. I pointed out to him that Scooby or no Scooby, I was still the editor of their comic book division. He said, "We'll see about that" and hung up.

Sure enough, I was banned from the studio for a good eighteen minutes, which is how long it was before Mr. Barbera phoned. He instructed me to — and I will clean up his language here a tad — "pay no attention to that drat idiot in Business Affairs." Before the sun set that evening, I had a deal to write the script that would introduce Scrappy Doo.

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe

quote:

A week or so later, I was in the Hanna-Barbera Xerox Room and I happened to see my script being mass-copied for distribution. I peeked to see if any rewrites had been done since it had left me and there didn't seem to be any. In fact, the script hadn't even been retyped. They were copying the printout I'd handed in, the one from my word processor.

But someone had typed a new title page and instead of saying, "Written by Mark Evanier," it now had my name plus that of another writer in the studio. In fact, the other writer was the son of an executive at the Hanna-Barbera studio.

Three minutes later, title page in hand, I barged into the office of that executive and you can pretty much imagine what I said. He explained that his son had been among the many writers who'd worked on Scrappy Doo before I'd been hired. He felt his son deserved some credit for all the hours he'd put in on the project.

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe

quote:

There finally came a day when no more revisions could be done to my script, the one that introduced Scrappy Doo. The show was behind schedule and production had to accelerate or they wouldn't make air dates. (That was not an unusual situation, by the way. During my days at Hanna-Barbera — and I gather this was constant — every show was always behind schedule. If a producer or story editor might verge on getting ahead of schedule, Bill Hanna would immediately adjust the schedule to put them behind. There was an ongoing fear that if a show wasn't behind schedule, someone might not work as rapidly as possible.)
just reading this article puts me in a nervous sweat

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
That article was great, thanks for sharing it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I went to see Coco and a member of our group joining us for a rewatch advised us to wait until the Frozen short was over. Two other members ignored the warning and went in on time. And we waited, then finally went in during the last five minutes.

Just because my shadow isn't scorched into the pavement doesn't mean I don't got the radiation sickness.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Coco was wonderful and because of an ongoing issue in my life right now I was a half hour late to my screening and I STILL HAD TO WATCH JOSH GAD'S AWFUL loving SNOWSONA DAWDLE ABOUT CHRISTMAS FOR TEN MINUTES.

But yeah Coco was really special. I wouldn't put it in Pixar's A+ tier but it's easily one of the best movies I've seen this year. I was a sobbing mess for the last 15 minutes - it didn't help that Granny Coco was essentially a combination of my departed grandmothers. The wonders of the Land of the Dead were splendid, but honestly my favorite part was the Frida Kahlo subplot, they utterly nailed that joke.

As for empty theaters, I saw Strange Magic on opening day. I was alone in the theater. That thing about running laps around the theater is not inaccurate. I ended up counting every seat in the theater. I remember that total, 210, more than I remember the movie itself.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
*a live video feed of me beating a dead horse furiously* coco is extremely good yall

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Hey animation thread. It's me, you're firmer OP that lost interest when I wasnt the op anymore because in a terrible person

...anyways I'm here because in spamming threads to get people to sign up for Secret Santa so please do that if you want
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3840701

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The Frozen short just felt really weird and aimless.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It was a collection of mediocre musical numbers. I listened to a podcast thru it after a bit

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I didn't hate it, but it definitely skewed younger. I would have preferred more of the "Our hosed upbringing left us bereft of any real connections as a family" over "Olaf fucks around while making yet another fruitcake joke." which yeah, it wouldn't have gone over well with kids.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

They're removing it from Coco screenings nationwide as of the 8th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Quick, somebody see Coco again and count how many times they say "tradition" in the Frozen short.
Or make it a drinking game for someone you hate! :dance: