Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SonicRulez posted:

I don't want to lose anybody, but if someone has to go, it can be Iron Man. It better not be Steve. If it is Steve, I want Sam Cap over Bucky Cap. I feel like any of the Guardians, Strange, Spider-Man, and BP are safe. I'd like Thor and Hulk back. I would be really sad to lose Wanda. Vision can go. They can have War Machine too.

I recognize the silliness in this question, but I'll ask anyway. Timeline wise, all of the Defender stuff would be in the past compared to IW, right? Because Homecoming introduced a big time skip or whatever. So there's no chance of me getting to see Jessica punch Thanos in the teeth.

I don't think the Homecoming thing was so much a timeskip as a continuity error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Cap's totally gonna eat it. Dude's been wanting out for, like five years.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SonicRulez posted:

I don't want to lose anybody, but if someone has to go, it can be Iron Man. It better not be Steve. If it is Steve, I want Sam Cap over Bucky Cap. I feel like any of the Guardians, Strange, Spider-Man, and BP are safe. I'd like Thor and Hulk back. I would be really sad to lose Wanda. Vision can go. They can have War Machine too.

I'm also personally discounting characters we know there are sequels in the works for - Ant Man 2, Doctor Strange 2 (granted in this particular guy's case that's no guarantee he'll be alive at the start of the movie), and Guardians 3. Marvel's also alluded to Thor 4 already being in the planning stages.

I really think it's down to Tony. His solo series is over, he kinda wants out of the franchise, he's metaphorically handed off the torch, he has a clear replacement in personality and temperament (Strange), and I think the MCU has done everything with Tony they can short of making him a father.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

Cap's totally gonna eat it. Dude's been wanting out for, like five years.

Nah, he quickly changed his tune once he didn't have to work with Whedon or Ike Perlmutter any more.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

mikeraskol posted:

He's got the stone in his forehead when you see him as human.

It looked more like a leftover scar at first watch, but I guess it could just be how they decided to portray the stone under his skin or whatever.

I'm just convinced that Vision getting clowned is like the one of the first scenes to establish how powerful Thanos is.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Wouldn't really make much sense storytelling wise for thanos to come to earth, kill vision, take his gem, go back out into space, get the other gems, come back to earth to get more gems

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

RDJ is almost certainly gone. The other casualties are probably going to be lesser names.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

At the end of Civil War (I think?) they pretty much said that the new faces were The Avengers going forward, so it'd be odd if they weren't prepared to dump almost all of the originals by Avengers 4.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Surprise twist, Loki dies after handing over the tesseract for failing thanos in avengers 1

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Away all Goats posted:

It looked more like a leftover scar at first watch, but I guess it could just be how they decided to portray the stone under his skin or whatever.

I'm just convinced that Vision getting clowned is like the one of the first scenes to establish how powerful Thanos is.

Eh, I think it'll be a cold open with Thanos obliterating the Nova Corps to get the first stone. Then we'll go to present time where he attacks the Asgardians, and the tesseract is used to send Hulk to the Sanctum Sanctorum before Thor is beaten and Loki hands it over to Thanos.

Then you probably have the Black Order going after Vision while Thanos goes to New York to attack and get the time stone.

Then the remaining heroes all gather to protect Wakanda where the last infinity stone is.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

site posted:

Surprise twist, Loki dies after handing over the tesseract for failing thanos in avengers 1

I loving wish. They'll fire all of the Avengers before letting their default villain go.
I remember going 'He's the bad guy again?' on the first Avengers.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I thought Hiddleston wanted out, though?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I could actually see them killing off Loki if they're really married to doing the Young Loki storyline (which coincidentally is probably the best single character storyline Marvel has had this century) moving forward. Incidentally Young Loki allows for Hiddleston to still play Loki, so it's the best of both worlds.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It will be legitimately sad for me if (when) Stark dies because him in the first Iron Man is what convinced me I might actually be watching and happy to see super hero movies for the next decade.

But, it's ok for stories to make me sad.

It better be good is all I'm saying.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Otoh they've already had multiple fake deaths/resurrections happen and we're dealing with the Inifinity Guantlet, so really anybody could "die" here and be fine again in a couple years.

The only ones I feel for sure are going to 100% die are the Barton family, which sucks.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I like that Marvel seems to have enough faith in Black Panther/Wakanda that it appears to be one of the big setpieces for Infinity War.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jamesman posted:

I like that Marvel seems to have enough faith in Black Panther/Wakanda that it appears to be one of the big setpieces for Infinity War.

Wakanda is home to the Soul stone, so it has to be on Thanos' dance card. Same reason we know Xandar, Knowhere, and the Sanctum Sanctorum are getting trashed.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

Wakanda is home to the Soul stone, so it has to be on Thanos' dance card. Same reason we know Xandar, Knowhere, and the Sanctum Sanctorum are getting trashed.

Yeah but we have evidence of a huge battle taking place in Wakanda and there being some strong focus there. It's not just glossed over as "Thanos hosed up Wakanda and took the stone."

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Wheat Loaf posted:

They (unless it was Sony by then; I don't remember) were also very keen on having a spin-off from Die Another Day which would've starred Halle Berry, but I think she was already committed to Catwoman by then.

She was going to do it and later found out the studio cancelled the project in an interview.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Black Panther and Chadwick Boseman seem like the next IM in the sense of how crucial to the overall narrative and the way the character will tie the overall universe together, so it's not surprising, but it's still cool and progressive.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Black Panther and Chadwick Boseman seem like the next IM in the sense of how crucial to the overall narrative and the way the character will tie the overall universe together, so it's not surprising, but it's still cool and progressive.

It's surprising because it's a fuckton of black people in a major motion picture that isn't about their blackness.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Codependent Poster posted:

Eh, I think it'll be a cold open with Thanos obliterating the Nova Corps to get the first stone. Then we'll go to present time where he attacks the Asgardians, and the tesseract is used to send Hulk to the Sanctum Sanctorum before Thor is beaten and Loki hands it over to Thanos.

Then you probably have the Black Order going after Vision while Thanos goes to New York to attack and get the time stone.

Then the remaining heroes all gather to protect Wakanda where the last infinity stone is.

There's a scene in there where he takes the Aether one from the Collector as well, but I'd be willing to bet this is right.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Jamesman posted:

It's surprising because it's a fuckton of black people in a major motion picture that isn't about their blackness.

I know I'm jazzed about it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hell, I'm here for a bp led The Ultimates at the end of phase 5

As an aside today is bosemans birthday and that dude does not look 41 holy crap

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

site posted:

If this means we might possibly get Kid Loki/Journey Into Mystery adapted on screen, I say do it!

I dunno how they'd fit Leah of Hel into it, though.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I would honestly be shocked if any major character dies a permanent death in IW. I just don't get that sort of...tone...from the Russos' work in this universe.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I just think that it'd be lame if the titanic demigod villain who wields a legendary gauntled powered by cosmic powerstones that grant reality warping abilities fails to kill a normal middle aged man in a metal suit.

Is Thanos the kind of guy that spares a foe because he's so insignificant? Cause that's the only way I can see Stark getting out of that confrontation alive.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Thanos always spares the person scripted to beat him with the aha! you bested yourself moment at the climax

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea that's my worry. Thanos is absolutely NOT the kind of guy who'd be all 'puny worm you're not worthy of a death at the hands of death himself'. I could see it going where someone like Tony gets Thanos monologueing or something and uses that gap to escape but I can't see anyone getting iced in the MCU universe and it not being 'fixed' by the next movie.

Thanos is an incredibly arrogant villain, so I can see that being used to avoid the 'why doesn't he just murder the guy right now' situation but a movie with Thanos in it not having at least a bit of a body count of characters that matter will feel kinda cheap.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well, I mean that Thanos might kill someone, but they'll probably just get Infinity-Gauntleted back to life somehow. Or they're somehow clinging to life and gets brought back another way in the follow-up film. Or something along those lines. I don't really see Marvel ending Avengers 4 in any way other than a spectacular triumph for their superheroes.

I could be wrong, etc etc.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
If Thanos is the protagonist of the first one, maybe we get to see that his side of things is actually pretty reasonable maybe if CineD is right and Stark IS HYDRA, then Thanos is actually the hero and he wins!

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

fruit on the bottom posted:

...Stark IS HYDRA...

I'm sorry, what?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I eagerly await the crematorium planets

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I'm sorry, what?

He’s an unrepentant capitalist, you see, which is the absolute worst, most villainous thing anyone could possibly be. Like HYDRA.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Thanos also only has two gems when he's fighting Stark there, I could see Tony popping one into his arc reactor

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Phylodox posted:

He’s an unrepentant capitalist, you see, which is the absolute worst, most villainous thing anyone could possibly be. Like HYDRA.

I mean where is the lie

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BrianWilly posted:

Well, I mean that Thanos might kill someone, but they'll probably just get Infinity-Gauntleted back to life somehow. Or they're somehow clinging to life and gets brought back another way in the follow-up film. Or something along those lines. I don't really see Marvel ending Avengers 4 in any way other than a spectacular triumph for their superheroes.

I could be wrong, etc etc.

oh yea I'm 100% sure there's gonna be a 'death' or near death scare that gets undone before the credits roll or resolved with 'they'll live...but we don't know when they'll wake up' to set up for that stand alone movie.

To be clear, I get it. The MCU is different, Avengers movies are the big crown jewels, you have to treat them 'right' for the audience and yea 'right' in those cases almost always means 'overwhelming and dramatic win for the good guys'

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Wait what's the release date on these? I'm seeing BP in March and Infinity in April but that doesn't sound right

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I'm sorry, what?

I forget how the exact argument went but something something Tony Stark ends up unwittingly creating the same kind of philosophy and control that Hydra was about and ultimately he was the villain of the MCU. Also Ultron was either an example of this, or he represented Marxism. Somehow.

Also Captain America is a libertarian?

Give or take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Retro Futurist posted:

Wait what's the release date on these? I'm seeing BP in March and Infinity in April but that doesn't sound right

February 16th and May 4th.

• Locked thread