Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

If they gave Thanos some Timbs I would buy that explanation.

Based on Twitter this morning I think Thanos has been claimed in the draft.

This one was pretty good:

https://twitter.com/Maria_Giesela/status/935882724719628290

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

thanos steps out from a portal in broad loving daylight, like a dude gettin off the subway, lookin like a reject from a sunmaid commercial

put a fuckin scoop in his hands

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Colonel Whitey posted:

Does anyone know offhand why split diopters were so popular during this period of cinema? I know de Palma loved them and used them well but a lot of directors seemed to use them willy nilly just for the heck of it in the 70s.

Speaking of which if Winter Soldier really wanted to go for that 70s thriller style they should have used a ton of split diopter shots. Would have been a nice touch.

I'd never heard of them before I watched Star Trek: TMP. All I can tell you is that apparently they were much cheaper for the same or better light intake; as another poster said up the page, on that film they desperately needed more light cheaply, as the Enterprise bridge proved almost impossible to add additional lights to without washing out the control panels.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
I'm going to be shocked if Thanos isn't rocking his full comic costume by the end. It will be one of those moments purposely set up to be be "ahhh hell poo poo just got real". And I'll love it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I just now realized Falcon is also in that running shot. Lmao at Rhodey and Falcon just blending in the background. Hope they change that somehow, if possible because that's just a microcosm of how bad the Marvel movies look.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Burkion posted:

If we had never seen him in full before now, you'd have a point.

The problem is, we have seen Thanos in full three different times.

All three times, he's been in full golden gleaming armor. Like, every single time.

None of the Avengers or the core cast (except his daughters) have seen him in battle mode. And no one's seen him in his full splendor.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Rough Lobster posted:

Yes, this is very cool.

Infinity War trailer is dope and I'm appreciative that for now at least they're holding back a bit.

also: it's incredibly obvious that Thanos is rolling casually and will dramatically armor up when poo poo gets serious. Like, super obvious people. What's the complaint? They're not showing you everything up front?

Can you tell me what’s cool about it without using the reason “they’re all on the screen at the same time.”?

Genuinely curious.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

No Thanoscopter no deal. :colbert:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ghosthotel posted:

Can you tell me what’s cool about it without using the reason “they’re all on the screen at the same time.”?

The hyperkinetic visuals and daring compositions. Duh.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

teagone posted:

I just now realized Falcon is also in that running shot. Lmao at Rhodey and Falcon just blending in the background. Hope they change that somehow, if possible because that's just a microcosm of how bad the Marvel movies look.

Dem Russo Boyz refuse to use some Ridley Scott depth of field in a movie that's gonna have like 15 characters battling onscreen at once, smdh

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Ghosthotel posted:

Genuinely curious.

Not everyone consumes a form of entertainment for the same reason?

Something can be "cool" without necessarily being good or great.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

So it’s cool because it’s bad.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
maybe we'll get lucky and Disney will bring Snyder into do extensive reshoots.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lobok posted:

Based on Twitter this morning I think Thanos has been claimed in the draft.

This one was pretty good:

https://twitter.com/Maria_Giesela/status/935882724719628290

I'm slowly changing my mind on Fuckboy Thanos.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ghosthotel posted:

Genuinely curious.

For me it's the escalation and build up of the films leading up to this point. It's a decades worth of loosely interconnected comic book movies converging into a single film. I think that's pretty cool. If only all post Captain America 1 MCU films didn't look bland as gently caress visually, I'd be way more excited. Infinity War will probably be like other post phase 1 MCU films: generic but enjoyable entertainment.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I mean, the contrast between "this is the film we've been waiting a DECADE for" and "why don't you nerds get it's cool to see our favorite heroes together" is what's interesting to me.

Like, I am going to see and probably enjoy IW but what's the point in getting "hyped" for it. I agree it will be cool to see people together but that's like one unique thing and isn't mind blowing. It will probably be quippy and quick paced and be exactly as entertaining as most big budget blockbusters are when you're hopped up on sugar in the theater.

What do people think is going to make this so much more special than any other movie that makes the "build up" worth it. It won't be the best written movie or have the most developed characters in film next year, it will be lucky if it even claims that title amongst 2018 blockbusters.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

maybe we'll get lucky and Disney will bring Snyder into do extensive reshoots.

An anti-Justice League would be pretty entertaining. Instead of splicing a few lame jokes into a battle of titans, start a quip, cut to a gorgeous, fluid shot of Iron Man obliterating someone, then cut back for the second half of the ironic comment.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm not really HYPED but I'm looking forward too it. I'd much rather make my own stuff than watch it these days, so it's very rare for me to be STOKEDD to see something. I'm stoked for The Disaster Artist and I was stoked for Alien and Guardians. That's kind of it. The rest I was looking forward too.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

josh04 posted:

I'd never heard of them before I watched Star Trek: TMP. All I can tell you is that apparently they were much cheaper for the same or better light intake; as another poster said up the page, on that film they desperately needed more light cheaply, as the Enterprise bridge proved almost impossible to add additional lights to without washing out the control panels.

Ok that makes sense. It must also be one of those stylistic trends with no real explanation as you can see them used a in movies like All The President’s Men in well-lit conditions as well. Seems like today someone would just use a deep focus lens if they want to flatten the image and have multiple subjects in focus but for a while there split diopter was the way to go. When it’s used well you don’t notice the blurry parts of the foreground image.

Found this via google, it’s not in depth but provides some examples: https://nofilmschool.com/2013/10/deep-focus-use-of-split-diopters-in-film

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean, the contrast between "this is the film we've been waiting a DECADE for" and "why don't you nerds get it's cool to see our favorite heroes together" is what's interesting to me.

Like, I am going to see and probably enjoy IW but what's the point in getting "hyped" for it. I agree it will be cool to see people together but that's like one unique thing and isn't mind blowing. It will probably be quippy and quick paced and be exactly as entertaining as most big budget blockbusters are when you're hopped up on sugar in the theater.

What do people think is going to make this so much more special than any other movie that makes the "build up" worth it. It won't be the best written movie or have the most developed characters in film next year, it will be lucky if it even claims that title amongst 2018 blockbusters.

Because being excited or "hyped" for something can be fun in and of itself? Prognostication about potential outcomes and events during the movie and such.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
As someone with no real malice in either general direction, DC fans do give off a really powerful aura of insecurity.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

teagone posted:

For me it's the escalation and build up of the films leading up to this point. It's a decades worth of loosely interconnected comic book movies converging into a single film. I think that's pretty cool. If only all post Captain America 1 MCU films didn't look bland as gently caress visually, I'd be way more excited. Infinity War will probably be like other post phase 1 MCU films: generic but enjoyable entertainment.

That’s just in the same realm of “they’re all on the same screen at once.” I understand being excited about the idea of that but that shot in particular (and most of the trailer tbh) looks like dogshit. So I’m genuinely looking for any reason why that shot is cool or good that isn’t just “we’ve been marketing this to you for ten years now”.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well I guess you'll never understand it then.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think they made a mistake by basically doing another Avengers film with Civil War before handling the Thanos storyline. This is just my feeling of course, but too much time has gone by now, and the importance of Thanos and the Infinity Stones hasn't been built up properly. I have a feeling a significant percentage of the audience will not remember a thing about the Infinity Stones going into the movie and yet this is being treated as the payoff for the entire MCU up to this point. It's definitely going to be a wet fart in the eyes of a lot of people.

Better for them to have saved Civil War for a completely new cycle when it wouldn't have gummed up the works with Thanos and when it could've been given more than a single film to breathe, which I think that story needed to not feel as forced as it was.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

As someone with no real malice in either general direction, DC fans do give off a really powerful aura of insecurity.

kinda hard to blame em sometimes when internet nerds act like zach snyder personally murdered their dog and not just you know, made a few movies they didn't like

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

This is true. The toxicity towards people who liked the DCEU stuff is crazy. Good luck to you if you outright say you enjoy those films on just about any discussion forum.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Guy A. Person posted:

I won't defend blind fanboy tribalism but there are benefits to positively anticipating things, comic book movie or not.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

McSpanky posted:

Ramin Djawadi is dope and unlike Giacchino he didn't catch lightning in a bottle once and then halfheartedly recycle it for the next ten years.

I don’t want to agree with you about Giacchino but.... :(

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There is nothing to anticipate. It's 2017.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Dexo posted:

Because being excited or "hyped" for something can be fun in and of itself? Prognostication about potential outcomes and events during the movie and such.

I guess I don't see that as "hype" so much as just...predictions about a film you're excited to see. I am specifically addressing the "movie we've been waiting a decade for" sentiment. Waiting for what? To debate who is going to die (no cheating and googling whose contract is up)? To see even more people on screen together than in Civil War?

Neurolimal posted:

I mean, again, you have people in here acting like this is the second coming. I don't think its insecurity rather than bafflement at why these movies are considered "good movie making that you dorks aren't used to seeing".

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

If they gave Thanos some Timbs I would buy that explanation.

I'm here for "guy on your block who just got off work and is sitting on his stoop sipping a bootleg energy drink" Thanos

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Neurolimal posted:

I'm the same way as I enjoy both Marvel and DC films alike and will call out a lovely film when I see it from either studio. But I also like revelling in all the dumb fanboy antics on social media because it's fascinating. From what I've seen, it's not really hard to see why DC fandom gets so defensive when any moment they express their interest in a DC film or Zack Snyder or whatever, they're almost always immediately bombarded with poo poo like "dumb DC movies are for retards and no one likes them, look at the RT scores and critic reviews" or idiots (sometimes even critics) saying stuff like "Zack Snyder is a self hating jew, congrats on enjoying the work of an Ayn Rand fanatic."

Dunno if it's the same in comic book fandom, but the for the movies it's generally like that.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Away all Goats posted:

I can't wait for Cap to pick up Mjolnir and use it against Thanos

oh wait, gently caress.

This just means that Cap is now going to pick up Thor and use him against Thanos.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Clarification: Spidey will indeed die but then be brought back to life by Dr. Strange.

Don’t know how they’ll officially kill off Cap and yet do the above as well though.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It will be interesting to see how they handle Thanos, either if they go the Ronan route of being a basic movie-progressing plot device, the Loki route of a somewhat understandable villain (the spirit journey quote suggests this one), or the Ultron route of being a reflection of the main character that genuinely criticizes them.

I'm not too excited for that trailer, but trailers tend to be more indicative of the trailer editors' skill than the actual films quality. Every big budget action film has That Shot of a bunch of characters running at each other or a city blowing up, or the closest thing the film has to that.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is Thanos extremely powerful without the glove?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

teagone posted:

Dunno if it's the same in comic book fandom, but the for the movies it's generally like that.

Not nearly enough people read superhero comics to have these kinds of mass cultic experiences. The arguments regarding what comics you like and what it says about you are far more esoteric and usually much more nasty and personal (or "personality-driven").

Serf
May 5, 2011

the trailer was bad

but the russo brothers have a good track record with these here marvel movies so i'm in.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

teagone posted:

I'm the same way as I enjoy both Marvel and DC films alike and will call out a lovely film when I see it from either studio. But I also like revelling in all the dumb fanboy antics on social media because it's fascinating. From what I've seen, it's not really hard to see why DC fandom gets so defensive when any moment they express their interest in a DC film or Zack Snyder or whatever, they're almost always immediately bombarded with poo poo like "dumb DC movies are for retards and no one likes them, look at the RT scores and critic reviews" or idiots (sometimes even critics) saying stuff like "Zack Snyder is a self hating jew, congrats on enjoying the work of an Ayn Rand fanatic."

For sure, I didn't mean to say it was entirely unjustified. Just something that came to mind when I read BotL's post about Thanos :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Vintersorg posted:

Is Thanos extremely powerful without the glove?

In the comics hes about as strong as baseline Hulk I think, plus generic powers like telekinetic and energy blasts

• Locked thread