Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Keillor news is devastating for the 80 year olds who actually listen to Prairie Home Companion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

Can you, and any other IL goons, tell us more about Gutierrez? Do you like him and would you support him for higher office?

He's generally had a good record as a rep--and to his credit, he called out Obama for having ICE deport more people than any other president before him. He's also one of the multiple cosponsors of the M4A bill in the House.

otoh, he supported rahm over chuy in the last mayoral race (bc he'd already announced support for rahm before chuy announced); otooh, it looks like he's endorsing chuy as his replacement. The other candidate who's announced as going for luis's seat is the DSA-affiliated alderman who biss dropped as his lt. gov. mate for supporting BDS.

If chuy and the DSA guy make the cut for the jungle primary, it'll be great, bc then luis's replacement likely will be even further left than he is.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mantis42 posted:

The Keillor news is devastating for the 80 year olds who actually listen to Prairie Home Companion.

No it's not, because his behavior is actually tame to them.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Nevvy Z posted:

People are more likely to post when they disagree with something than when they agree (I made this up a while ago but it feels right) so a certain segment of crazy idiot will interpret all these people not talking about Conyers, because Conyers sucks, he should resign, it's all been said, as supporting Conyers.

Good thing no crazy idiots have ever suggested that criticizing certain political candidates, while not simultaneously denouncing every other political figure, must be indicative of hidden biases.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mantis42 posted:

My dad's only 61.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

GlyphGryph posted:

hot take yo

Why do you keep digging?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Not a Step posted:

Good thing no crazy idiots have ever suggested that criticizing certain political candidates, while not simultaneously denouncing every other political figure, must be indicative of hidden biases.

having a politics based entirely around being mad people are not nicer to you personally sounds like a fascinating experience, please tell me more

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Ze Pollack posted:

having a politics based entirely around being mad people are not nicer to you personally sounds like a fascinating experience, please tell me more

Have you ever heard of 'literally every participant in the political process ever'?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
lol

well, at least that's one person's politics explained

best of luck figuring out the candidate to support in the future that will get people to stop disagreeing with you about things

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/DraperRobert/status/935985854304210944

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
loooooool

god bless the democratic party, capable of loving even the most basic political wins imaginable up.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Love to see bad dems reducing antiracism to a bludgeon wielded to attack victims of sexual abuse.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

Love to see bad dems reducing antiracism to a bludgeon wielded to attack victims of sexual abuse.

Some poster was doing it earlier in this thread when he said that Pelosi had to defend Conyers because ~THE OPTICS~ of a white woman attacking a black man are bad.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

gently caress. Really? That is what he went to? I just hope the tide is enough to bury that kind of thinking and we are not seeing the status quo of never talking about sexual harassment being put back into place.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

hot take yo

extremely caremad that people itt have called nazis monsters

:sad:

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Lightning Knight posted:

Can you, and any other IL goons, tell us more about Gutierrez? Do you like him and would you support him for higher office?

Gutierrez is cool and all, but he’s running for the same reason that John Delaney is: it’s an easy way to raise your profile and end up with a cushy job either within an administration or in the private sector.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

i would've gone with carolyn bryant

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Anyone watch the CNN debate between Cantwell, Sanders, Cruz and Scott? Just looking over highlights, Bernie was once again by himself against Cruz and Scott (and he handled it pretty soundly).

Cantwell seemed to be there more or less to act as the Centrist mouthpiece reassuring people that they're a big tent party and everyone is welcome in the Democrats.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

WampaLord posted:

Some poster was doing it earlier in this thread when he said that Pelosi had to defend Conyers because ~THE OPTICS~ of a white woman attacking a black man are bad.

they are bad, that was probably a factor in her tactical decisions, and she didn't defend his behavior and she advocated an ethics investigation and supported him stepping down from meaningful involvement

there are concerns about the process there, and maybe about the messaging, but you're being disingenuous

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

e: wrong thread!

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 30, 2017

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Just a note: the original tweet was @'ing some random lady named Theresa and not the PM of the UK.

2017: Where if you could possibly be the target of a Presidential tweet by having a twitter handle close to a politician's name.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

she didn't defend his behavior

No, fair enough, she just questioned his accusers.

quote:

Pelosi demurred when asked if she believed the women who have accused Conyers.

"I don’t know who they are," she said. "Do you? They have not really come forward."

quote:

"Just because someone is accused — and was it one accusation? Is it two? I think there has to be — John Conyers is an icon in our country. He has done a great deal to protect women — Violence Against Women Act, which the left — right-wing — is now quoting me as praising him for his work on that, and he did great work on that.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

I'm only 32.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/935881865269055489

Hahahahaha

I guess Roy Moore did nothing wrong either

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Kokoro Wish posted:

Anyone watch the CNN debate between Cantwell, Sanders, Cruz and Scott? Just looking over highlights, Bernie was once again by himself against Cruz and Scott (and he handled it pretty soundly).

Cantwell seemed to be there more or less to act as the Centrist mouthpiece reassuring people that they're a big tent party and everyone is welcome in the Democrats.

Cantwell is there to be Boeing's Senator. Much to the annoyance of those of us who want someone not bought by a corporate entity.

NothingMatters
Nov 17, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Mantis42 posted:

Hey gently caress off I love listening about wonderful lake wobegon.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Alter Ego posted:

I'm only 32.

You were born when the Soviet Union still existed, ergo you are old.

In 10 years that goal post will move to “before 9/11,” and I will be old. :yayclod:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Lightning Knight posted:

You were born when the Soviet Union still existed, ergo you are old.

In 10 years that goal post will move to “before 9/11,” and I will be old. :yayclod:

18-Year-Old Fighting In Afghanistan Has 9/11 Explained To Him By Older Soldier

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Soldier Excited To Take Over Father’s Old Afghanistan Patrol Route

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

gently caress

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/936259445222526976

The Dems are a waste

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the democratic party is going to have wound up spending more money on Ossoff than Jones

l-o-loving-l.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sounds like typical stupid institutional pissing match garbage, it’s not unique to the Dems. “:qq: I don’t want to work with this person because I don’t like them” is the bane of most organizations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

Sounds like typical stupid institutional pissing match garbage, it’s not unique to the Dems. “:qq: I don’t want to work with this person because I don’t like them” is the bane of most organizations.

Maybe we should fix that kind of poo poo by throwing out people who are pulling dumb poo poo like this and not just shrug and go "Eh, happens to everyone, what can ya do?"

God, it feels like pulling teeth to get you to admit there are problems that need to be fixed.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Said it in c-spam but it amazes me how comfortable Worley was in putting that pettiness on the record.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

WampaLord posted:

Maybe we should fix that kind of poo poo by throwing out people who are pulling dumb poo poo like this and not just shrug and go "Eh, happens to everyone, what can ya do?"

God, it feels like pulling teeth to get you to admit there are problems that need to be fixed.

It’s not that they shouldn’t fix the problem, it’s that it’s a problem that will always exist.

The problem you’re describing is just “people being petty.” Their stated reason isn’t even political, it’s just “I don’t like him, gently caress that guy.” You can discipline or remove those people but scenarios like this will crop up all the time no matter what you do, it’s a problem with people themselves, not politics.

I’m not saying that they shouldn’t do something about those people right now, I just don’t think concluding “lol Dems suck” from that is reasonable. It’s more like, people suck, really.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The bill is already running into problems that didn't exist as recent as yesterday.

Like what? McCain just jumped onboard.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Also the Jones campaign isn't without its own stupid decisions. From the linked article in that tweet:

quote:

Mr. Jones’s campaign manager, Wade Perry, said the candidate would not tailor his message to black voters, but focus instead on the more universal messages of job creation and health care.

It's Alabama, Doug. You tailor some drat messaging to black voters because they're the foundation that makes a win even remotely possible here.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Oh Snapple! posted:

Also the Jones campaign isn't without its own stupid decisions. From the linked article in that tweet:

It's Alabama, Doug. You tailor some drat messaging to black voters because they're the foundation that makes a win even remotely possible here.

I guess we’re going to see “ignore identity politics and put a universalized color blind message forward in conservative areas” put to test as a strategy. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
This is the leader of a Dem super pac. It's sad when the money men have firmer morals than the leadership.

https://twitter.com/guycecil/status/936273190300549121

• Locked thread