Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Invincible enemies don't usually display damage numbers. Please attack the boss.

I always did. It's still a lovely fight even if he's not technically invincible, and just not taking damage for a minute or two while you grind away at a shield. Even in a reasonable group, the boss is sitting at 100% HP for too long. The game is generally very responsive at what your group is doing, and until that shield goes down you have no feedback. He should have just been given an HP increase, and his damage up buff lasts x% of his HP bar.

I think that minor thing just throws the flow of the fight off, and is just your first taste of a boring encounter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

I double weave and still flip my camera around a lot. It's very easy to do.

Also use legacy controls if you're not already.

I do, but the idea of clicking still is just strange :shrug:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I remember when people used to throw a fit on that boss if a warrior or dark knight was tanking because paladins got a whole 5 extra seconds on their Awareness.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
When it comes to hotkeys I look at it with the philosophy that the only keybinds I actually need are for skills in combat. All the default hotkeys for menus and poo poo like that are a luxury. If I really need to I can click through menus to get to them.

Here's my setup for SCH:

Q, E, R, F, G, Z, X, V, 1-4 for Bar 1.
Control + <all of the above> for Bar 2.
Shift + <all of the above> for Bar 3.
Alt + <all of the above> for Bar 4.

Bars are 4x3 except for Alt which is 2x6.

Also, did they change the level boosts from one per account / character? I was looking at the Mog Station when I re-subbed and it looks like I can purchase one even though I already used it on NIN?

kung fu jive fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 29, 2017

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Fister Roboto posted:

I remember when people used to throw a fit on that boss if a warrior or dark knight was tanking because paladins got a whole 5 extra seconds on their Awareness.

I'm going to call bullshit on this because this would imply pubbies know what tank cooldowns are.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I always did. It's still a lovely fight even if he's not technically invincible, and just not taking damage for a minute or two while you grind away at a shield. Even in a reasonable group, the boss is sitting at 100% HP for too long. The game is generally very responsive at what your group is doing, and until that shield goes down you have no feedback. He should have just been given an HP increase, and his damage up buff lasts x% of his HP bar.

I think that minor thing just throws the flow of the fight off, and is just your first taste of a boring encounter.

It's a case where multiple hp bars would have been a good solution in this game's UI could handle it. But the same could be said of a lot of fights with hp-based phase transitions.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Better yet, rework Stoneskin just a little. Just slap a 3-digit number underneath representing the % of HP left in the thing, and when you hit it with pop-up damage numbers on, have it say something like "0! (-12500!)" if you crit a Fire IV or something, like when it says (-20% Parried!) when you block something.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Bremma posted:

I initially played with controller but even with all the expanded cross bars, I was running out of space for skills on MNK and SAM (and forget trying to heal). I moved to keyboard and mouse a month ago, and I use 1-5 and ERF and ALT+ those keys for my main skills (eg my normal SAM attacks are 1-4, Alt 1-3 for Keiten and 3rd step moves, ERF for AOE, and DPS on 1-3 for A, 4 for Essential Dignity, ST, Alt+1-4 for Cards, ERF and alt for various heals and Esuna) and tend to mouse target over targeting with the F keys. Anything else I tend to click as it's normally a special need (eg self heals, aggro drop, limit break, stance change, etc). I'm pretty happy with it. I wish I could use CTRL and SHIFT for more space, but my tiny hands make those harder to reach reliabily and still be able to use WSAD to move about. Though for heals I may look into mouse-over macros since I use mouse to target half the time.

I'm a monk and people might already do this but I set up two nearly identical hot bars just slightly tweaked for AoE or single target. Arm of the Destroyer/ Rockbreaker slotted in for dragon kick/demolish and goad replacing form shift as I usually don't flick over until the fight starts. You never really need to overlap most AoE skills with single target skills but keeping two similar hot bars helps it flow better and feel more familiar then double tapping while remaining in my original hot bar for me. So I sit in my AoE hot bar for most of the dungeon without having to double tap for any skills then just press R1 to go to my single target hot bar when it's boss time or when the trash is almost done. I still have to keep stuff like PB, mantra and limit break on the expanded cross bars though.

ParliamentOfDogs fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 30, 2017

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Is that the fight where everyone who isn't a healer can just stand around picking their noses and you'll still win, because he loses like 20,000 health a second? I had a Diabolos Hollow where every single living person had -50% damage and everyone just gave up and stopped raising people in one of the alliances, and we still cleared after like 10 minutes of him very slowly wilting away.

Also, I found the rarest item in the game, the mythical Skallic Bottoms of Healing. Just a hundred more runs and the matching shoes might drop!

re: AST button bloat, the only Undrawn I usually keep on my bars is Empty Road, the rest seem redundant at 50, and especially at 66 when you have Minor Arcana.

That is a very nice book

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Now that engage is nerfed, is there another best DPS for command missions?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Two Archers are still ridiculous for Squadron.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Revenge Twofold is one of the best tracks in the game, period

The way it transitions into the main theme of the game after the HW theme gives it a 'this is a super important song for a super important fight' feel maybe even beyond Nidhogg, which is why its hilarious to fight book bird with it as the backdrop

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Invincible enemies don't usually display damage numbers. Please attack the boss.

Cruise Chaser in A11N goes invulnerable for a bit when he's doing the shield thing, but he still displays damage numbers (and you could combo off of him and trigger on-hit effects, as opposed to bosses where it just shows "INVULNERABLE" where it acts like you didn't hit them at all).

Also, now I'm curious if Wildfire counts shielded damage. I assume it doesn't, because shields work against Allagan Field which is basically the same thing.

Farg posted:

Revenge Twofold is one of the best tracks in the game, period

The way it transitions into the main theme of the game after the HW theme gives it a 'this is a super important song for a super important fight' feel maybe even beyond Nidhogg, which is why its hilarious to fight book bird with it as the backdrop

It's bizarre to me that the generic flight theme is a remix of Primogenitor, which I always associate with Midgardsormr and Tiamat.

vOv fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Nov 30, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I was puff-puffed. :cry:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It beggars belief that they put in a puff-puff cutscene but no Slime model to do it with.

unless it's some copyright thing

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

That is a very nice book

Ethica (and its SMN sister Aurora) is one of the best tomes in the game if you have the stomach to hellgrind Castrum Abania as a healer. Hope you like getting yelled at because no one kills the hands on the last boss, or stands on Number XXIII's pillars, or does the elemental mechanic in that fight.

Speaking of hellgrinds, Skalla finally gave me my shoes. I earned those, after two runs where neither DPS was breaking 2k on boss fights.

I decided to give thanks to our One True Goddess Halone. i just really like how this picture turned out okay

bonus pretty pictures if you're bored

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Mighty Thunderbolt
Doman Steel Armet of Maiming
Proto Ultima Mesh
Replica Dreadwyrm Vambraces of Maiming
[basically whatever legs, they get hidden by the boots]
Augmented Slipstream Sabatons of Maiming

All gear is dyed Bone White, though I redyed the hat Soot Black because it has some natural yellow-ish ornamentation on it anyway.

DRG at 70 is really nice. I think I'm going to keep at it for a while.

Also, does anyone know a good trick to get the camera to a perfect right angle? I just click it around until it goes, but sometimes it goes back and forth between like 149 and 153.

vOv fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Nov 30, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yes, he was a DRK.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Yes, he was a DRK.

Eh, I can’t judge people for giving Dark Knights the most twelve-year-old edgy names. I mean, they’re Dark Knights. They literally weaponise twelve- year-old edge.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Always shame bad names.

Especially if you have one

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Two Archers are still ridiculous for Squadron.
Yeah, even without the engage spam archers still have a 15 or so second cooldown on barrage. They still vastly outdamage anything else you can do with your squadron.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Always shame bad names.

Especially if you have one

On further thought, it probably is a good idea to guilt-trip people who run off guilt. You might even get some extra DPS out of it.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

vOv posted:

It's bizarre to me that the generic flight theme is a remix of Primogenitor, which I always associate with Midgardsormr and Tiamat.

It makes sense if you think about who you get as a flying mount during the story ;)

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

vOv posted:

Cruise Chaser in A11N goes invulnerable for a bit when he's doing the shield thing, but he still displays damage numbers (and you could combo off of him and trigger on-hit effects, as opposed to bosses where it just shows "INVULNERABLE" where it acts like you didn't hit them at all).

I think when the Haukke Manor boss goes invincible and you just get a bunch of 0's pop up if you keep trying to hit? But there's also like, some tethers in the game you need to split and some tethers you need to stack so I guess I'm not surprised nothings consistent.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Haukke Manor's Lady Amandine has a stone skin. I believe Cu Chulainn (spelling) in Void Ark also has two split for physical and magical, as do some adds in Turn 4 one each of either physical or magical. Those all show 0 damage when hit. Diabolos in Dun Scaith obviously has a stoneskin too.

There are other bosses who get a straight up buff called Invincibility, like Garuda.

I don't remember A11N's but they do tend to have some consistency in behaviour when it's listed as a stone skin as opposed to invincibility, though I doubt it's 100% consistent.

The important thing I find is that stoneskin ones tend to progress combos where invincibles don't, so you can refresh GL3 on Cu Chuthirdbossofvoidark

e:

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 30, 2017

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So I've finally got to Stormblood.

There's so much I love about this game. Red Mage plays like an absolute dream, I actually feel invested in the characters and enjoyed basically all the Heavensward content.

So anything important to bear in mind as I run through Stormblood main content?

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Just wait until you get to do RDM LB3...
😎

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Dreadwroth posted:

Just wait until you get to do RDM LB3...
😎

RDM LB3 is my favorite part of O3S.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Ethica (and its SMN sister Aurora) is one of the best tomes in the game if you have the stomach to hellgrind Castrum Abania as a healer. Hope you like getting yelled at because no one kills the hands on the last boss, or stands on Number XXIII's pillars, or does the elemental mechanic in that fight.

Speaking of hellgrinds, Skalla finally gave me my shoes. I earned those, after two runs where neither DPS was breaking 2k on boss fights.

Amusingly, I have the other two big bits of the Skallic healing gear. I decided to go as tall as I could.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

:stare:

Are you on Cactuar?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Haukke Manor's Lady Amandine has a stone skin. I believe Cu Chulainn (spelling) in Void Ark also has two split for physical and magical, as do some adds in Turn 4 one each of either physical or magical. Those all show 0 damage when hit. Diabolos in Dun Scaith obviously has a stoneskin too.

There are other bosses who get a straight up buff called Invincibility, like Garuda.

I don't remember A11N's but they do tend to have some consistency in behaviour when it's listed as a stone skin as opposed to invincibility, though I doubt it's 100% consistent.

The important thing I find is that stoneskin ones tend to progress combos where invincibles don't, so you can refresh GL3 on Cu Chuthirdbossofvoidark

e:

Cloud of Darkness during the storm phase as well. It's pretty easy to just burn right through it. Ideally you should have melee stay on the boss while ranged dps deals with the storms, but lol at the idea of pubbies adapting to massively outgearing content. Same goes for Choo Choo, you can pretty much ignore the mechanics and just burn through his stoneskin.

The Pains of Meracydia in T13 got an alternating physical or magical stoneskin, and while you could theoretically burn through them, they swapped soon enough that it wasn't worth it.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 30, 2017

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ibblebibble posted:

Amusingly, I have the other two big bits of the Skallic healing gear. I decided to go as tall as I could.

I have done 27 runs of skala trying to get the healer set and all I've gotten is the pants. Please kill me.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Get a load of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlwHLs9Ve1g

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

When are they implementing the furniture from the design contest I want some of that poo poo now :supaburn:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

apostateCourier posted:

RDM LB3 is my favorite part of O3S.

Nah the best part is spamming <se.6> to get a healer’s attention for a raise before that. (Because you displaced into the weeds)

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I investigated the Leviathan Hard elemental converter timing last night. Essentially it appears that most of the time you should use it as soon as it's ready. However, it appears that occasionally, Leviathan does a dive where he rushes across the platform before performing the Tidal Wave. I couldn't see a rhyme or reason to when he does this health-wise but it appears that sometimes he queues up the rush, surfaces for a moment, and then immediately dives back down for Tidal Wave.

I think there might be a visual indicator that differentiates between him diving for Tidal Wave vs. the other reasons he dives for. I'll continue to investigate when I have downtime.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Nah the best part is spamming <se.6> to get a healer’s attention for a raise before that. (Because you displaced into the weeds)

Of all the things that have killed me in that fight, that has not been one of them. I'd learned how not to do that during my DRG days.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
As a healer I couldn't fathom clicking skills because I need clicks to manage targeting. I dunno, maybe some people have worked out a screen layout for themselves that keeps the party list and the skill buttons near each other without cluttering their actual view of the fight, but I haven't.

Also, while it is certainly POSSIBLE to to do well in the game while only clicking skills, I think it's actually a bit harder unless you're some sort of wizard with a mouse.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I have done 27 runs of skala trying to get the healer set and all I've gotten is the pants. Please kill me.

I've run the dungeon 3-10 times a week since 4.1 hit for the DRG chest piece. Haven't seen it yet.

I really wish they'd add the "guaranteed drop" thing from levelling SB dungeons to all dungeons. I can hold on to a bag of DRG gear for a finite length of time if I know it'll eventually lead to the drop I want.

Rosalind posted:

I investigated the Leviathan Hard elemental converter timing last night. Essentially it appears that most of the time you should use it as soon as it's ready. However, it appears that occasionally, Leviathan does a dive where he rushes across the platform before performing the Tidal Wave. I couldn't see a rhyme or reason to when he does this health-wise but it appears that sometimes he queues up the rush, surfaces for a moment, and then immediately dives back down for Tidal Wave.

I think there might be a visual indicator that differentiates between him diving for Tidal Wave vs. the other reasons he dives for. I'll continue to investigate when I have downtime.

Remind me to never do an effort post about mechanics in thread again. About as successful as telling people how to perform them in mentor roulette, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

oh

i timed it successfully yesterday on the "use it as soon as he submerges when it's available" advice

there's no excuse to not have expert tier dungeons give you a drop at the end like levelling dungeons. expert tier motivates people to keep playing them by their nature of being expert dungeons, the roulette is why people do them.

I quite like the tank Skalla set but I'm certainly not running it an untold number of times hoping it drops.