Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zuul the Cat posted:

The hoops you have to jump through just to be able to purchase this model is crazy.

I can see why people buy him from Mother Russia.

All these hoops and yet you can freely buy the much superior Terminator Chaplain and have him at home within 24hrs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Didn't see anyone post this, must have slipped through the cracks with the Chapter Approved discussion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJQLyBpT4n8

This is a very good video. I'd actually put my Mortarion on hold while I waited for it, and when I go back to him I'm going to re-paint some of the parts I'd already done. Because, as ever, Saint Duncan's is the true way.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Corrode posted:

All these hoops and yet you can freely buy the much superior Terminator Chaplain and have him at home within 24hrs.

Isn't that kit finecast though? I'm scared of going down that hole.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Booyah- posted:

Isn't that kit finecast though? I'm scared of going down that hole.

That's a pretty blocky model. I don't think you'd see much in the way of bending the way you might with thinner models or ones with very tiny details. As far as Finecast goes I'd call that one of the safer ones to go for.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

PierreTheMime posted:

That's a pretty blocky model. I don't think you'd see much in the way of bending the way you might with thinner models or ones with very tiny details. As far as Finecast goes I'd call that one of the safer ones to go for.

Do they still have the problem with bubbles and missing detail just because resin didn't reach completely in to the model? That's what seems harder to fix.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

Agreed. Really glad BA will be able to take Tartaros and Cataphractii, cause now I get to buy, paint and field that one. Sucks that Deathwatch can't take him.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

Booyah- posted:

Do they still have the problem with bubbles and missing detail just because resin didn't reach completely in to the model? That's what seems harder to fix.

Finecast can be kind weirda and I wouldn't ever want to build a squad of anything in it, but it's pretty straightforward to clean up a single character model. I've also not had a significant problem with holes in the finecast I have worked with, but this stuff is pretty great for all of your "I can't be hosed to get the greenstuff out." needs: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vallejo-20-ml-Plastic-Putty/dp/B000TSBJEO/ Also makes some really nice tree trunks if you glue a few bits of sprue together and then coat them with it.

Also it's not that the special store stamp chaplain has too many skulls (impossible) but I think his skull scarf covers way too much of the model and makes it a bit shapeless.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Color choice question for the thread!

I'm looking at redoing the scheme on my Fire Dragons. While I like red a lot, the nature of the color's wavelength means that one doesn't easily notice the difference in shades. I'd like to try to make the armor plates pop more and the way I think I'm going to do that is by highlighting it from a base red through orange to a yellow highlight. I'll probably reexamine my use of the green in lieu of a blue or purple. I'm also likely to tone down and use the gold much more sparingly. What are your thoughts?

The current Fire Dragons look like this:

Boon fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 29, 2017

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Boon posted:

Color choice question for the thread!

I'm looking at redoing the scheme on my Fire Dragons. While I like red a lot, the nature of the color's wavelength means that one doesn't easily notice the difference in shades. I'd like to try to make the armor plates pop more and the way I think I'm going to do that is by highlighting it from a base red through orange to a yellow highlight. I'll probably reexamine my use of the green in lieu of a blue or purple. I'm also likely to tone down and use the gold much more sparingly. What are your thoughts?

The current Fire Dragons look like this:

I think this would pop more with a purple highlight like you said, or maybe a dark blue. I imagine you want the Orange/Yellow to pop the most, so a more subdued color would be best.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Zuul the Cat posted:

The hoops you have to jump through just to be able to purchase this model is crazy.

needs more skulls imho

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Harkano posted:

Maybe you can help me with this.

I did the Mathhammer on Tankbustas and it seemed like against what should have been their ideal target (a basic Russ), I can barely expect any damage at all from a 5 man units each their 2 suicide grots (around 5 wounds).

I've provisionally replaced the 2 units of them with another big blob of boys with a newly reduced PK Nob. How do you find Tankbustas performing? Do you get multiple rounds of shooting out of them? This is currently a 1300 ish list for a team game, so don't have a lot of slack for adding Trukks for them to ride in, which is probably closer to my idea for a 2k list.

Sorry, I’ve not used Tankbustas myself, don’t have any, and can’t find plastic proxies that would fit (I hate finecast). I also don’t really Mathhammer - but you’d want to take more than 5 for the Squigs which are the reliable attacks, and then the re-roll to hit against vehicles isn’t too bad. So shooting with Rokkit launchas isn’t amazing, but the Tankhammers are guaranteed to wound so you could take multiple minimum sized units to get 2 hammers per 5.

I’d probably wait for the Codex to see if they tweak the rules. Anti Armour seems a slight weakness right now, though I’ve killed predators by surrounding the buggers with enough Orks and whittling it down. That’s the most reliable way. Blitza Bommers look a bit unsatisfying too as do Wazbom Blastajets. Krump it up close.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Booyah- posted:

Finecast has always been spotty about this and will continue to be but GW has also always replaced anything that had a bubble in it.

I mean yeah Finecast sucks but this isn't really.... like when Finecast first came out there were plenty of models with no bubbles. And now there are still models that have bubbles. Its not that they "still" have it, its that they will always have a chance of having it. And again, if you write GW they will ship you a replacement.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
One was Sigmar* the second is the one Russ had been sent to put down.

*: I know nothing about current WFB, I know Sigmar originally disappeared which could have been Emps coming to pick him up but I don't know what happened to his legion, unless the Sigmarite dudes are literally them?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 29, 2017

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Schadenboner posted:

*: I know nothing about current WFB, I know Sigmar originally disappeared which could have been Emps coming to pick him up but I don't know what happened to his legion, unless the Sigmarite dudes are literally them?

GW hinted at that for a while but it looks like they decided that was a bad idea (which it is).

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Pendent posted:

GW hinted at that for a while but it looks like they decided that was a bad idea (which it is).

I like the implications for AoS lore, but not for 40k.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

mango sentinel posted:

I like the implications for AoS lore, but not for 40k.

The connections don't really work anymore anyway. Slaanesh is absent (for now) in AoS and VERY present in 40k while The Horned Rat is MIA on the 40k side.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

AnEdgelord posted:

The connections don't really work anymore anyway. Slaanesh is absent (for now) in AoS and VERY present in 40k while The Horned Rat is MIA on the 40k side.

Have we ever seen Slaanesh and the Horned Rat together in a room?

Just saying: maybe the Skaven are into even weirder poo poo than we give them credit for...

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Zuul the Cat posted:

$50 per stamp? Are you in Australia or something? I think it was $20 at my GW store when that guy came up. They had stamps for checking in to the store on Facebook, for tagging a photo of the store and for liking the store page, then after that I just bought some of the sort of rare stuff they had lying around and got my chappy pretty quickly. $50/stamp is insane though. I'm still happy with how mine came out though:

Booyah- posted:

I've had very little problem with Finecast bubbles and missing detail - that's mostly stuff that happened when they first made the material change but it's definitely not unheard of now. If you ever get a hosed up Finecast model just ring GW and they'll get you a replacement in no time. Liquid Green Stuff was developed specifically to fix those problems, which is kind of a lovely endorsement of Finecast but it's a neat tool to have anyway:
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Liquid-Green-Stuff-2015

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Schadenboner posted:

GW went to an effort around 6th edition to really separate the two settings. In older editions it was possible for chaos warriors to get crazy poo poo like plasma pistols, chainswords, and powerfists, but that hasn't been the case for a long, long time. The Sigmar/Primarch theory doesn't hold any weight and I like him better as some sort of super Conan who ascended to godhood. WHFB even still had Ulric, the god Sigmar worshiped in life.

Age of Sigmar is trash and should be ignored completely.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bombogenesis posted:

I'm going to paint my Dark Eldar dark pink and with some other bright color and say they're pretending to be Craftworlders now. I hope you're happy.

Did someone say pink space elves?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

$50 per stamp? Are you in Australia or something?

Southern California. Maybe they upped it because of how popular it is?

Are they planning on releasing any more teaser articles for Blood Angels or was that chapter focus it?

My White Dwarf still hasn't arrived, so i'm jonesing for info.

Zuul the Cat fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 29, 2017

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Irate Tree posted:

These loving own.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Zuul the Cat posted:

I think this would pop more with a purple highlight like you said, or maybe a dark blue. I imagine you want the Orange/Yellow to pop the most, so a more subdued color would be best.

I think you're right - the purples are hard to blend though...

Would purple secondary with a blue gem accent work?

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Where the heck did they announce the new Marbo?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

The Sex Cannon posted:

Where the heck did they announce the new Marbo?

Next Month's White Dwarf

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Rad. That out this week or next?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Boon posted:

I think you're right - the purples are hard to blend though...

Would purple secondary with a blue gem accent work?

I'm not entirely sure, but green clashes too much, i think. Try posting up in the Miniatures Painting Thread. Folks there that are far more skilled than I am can help you with color theory and technique.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Irate Tree posted:

Those look pretty fly for white guys elves

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Hamshot posted:

Last I heard of the two missing primarchs, one was hosed from the start (like, moreso than angron) and the other was a pacifist and is potentially still kicking about somewhere in the ghost stars being exiled.

We concretely established in this thread sometime back that the 2nd Primarch ended up on a Gorkamorka world, was raised as a Digganob, painted himself green, and is now off leading a combined coalition Ork-Digganob Waagh against space itself as the lost messiah-son of Gork & Mork.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Cythereal posted:

Scars, when Jaghatai is talking with Magnus' reflection. The implication seems to be that Big E was able to course correct some but not all of the primarchs.

Huh, must've forgotten, or simply missed it when I read Scars then.
Maybe it's the brain damage I picked up from sticking to reading all the Horus Heresy books. Nemesis was not a good book.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

We concretely established in this thread sometime back that the 2nd Primarch ended up on a Gorkamorka world, was raised as a Digganob, painted himself green, and is now off leading a combined coalition Ork-Digganob Waagh against space itself as the lost messiah-son of Gork & Mork.

Welp I think this is now canon for Krash's origin story.

Maybe I should make a bigger version to match the new Bobby G...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I believe you mean the second Primork.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Zuul the Cat posted:

The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for unlocking different heroes.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

muggins posted:

The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for unlocking different heroes.

I'm an adult. I don't need to unlock achievements.

Zark the Damned posted:

Just destroy a gillyman with slabs of armor and stick that back pack right on him. :perfect:

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Zark the Damned posted:

This is perfect you can have Krash in his different incarnations by era. Scion, Primork Ascendant, Messiork.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

DiHK posted:

I'm an adult. I don't need to unlock achievements.

It was a joke from the recent battlefront fiasco m8

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Having to buy other things to buy a thing is dumb and bad and never has the outcome you want. I honestly thought the card thing was a joke holy poo poo.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
So when can we get the Custodian Captain General

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

muggins posted:

Lmao, nice. -800,000 points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I just got that Gothic Ruin Sector in the mail

Does MDF paint well? Also why does it smell so strongly of burning wood