Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Condiv posted:

tons of posts on reddit about "well, if you have local access to the computer then you can do anything so when you think about it this is NBD" with regards to the apple root hole

idk about reddit but it's true that if someone with half a brain has physical access you get pwned

back in the day it was taking the cmos battery out so you could reset the BIOS pw but that's gone the way of the dodo

and microsoft is kind of nifty about protecting critical files now, you can encrypt your whole sdd/hdd if you feel like you need to

but then try to reinstall windows and clean up the files left behind

elevate privileges as much as you want ms defender will be "this is a critical system file"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

my money's on a braceless conditional.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

syscall girl posted:

idk about reddit but it's true that if someone with half a brain has physical access you get pwned

back in the day it was taking the cmos battery out so you could reset the BIOS pw but that's gone the way of the dodo

and microsoft is kind of nifty about protecting critical files now, you can encrypt your whole sdd/hdd if you feel like you need to

but then try to reinstall windows and clean up the files left behind

elevate privileges as much as you want ms defender will be "this is a critical system file"

Install a shim in yo usb port. Flash in a bugged BIOS if the hardware isn't protected against it.

Physical access is still game over, but it takes at least some effort now if you're good about protecting yourself.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

syscall girl posted:

There's an important distinction between physical access and physical control.

A machine in a public computer lab I have physical access to. A machine I can take home (or have stolen) I have physical control over. The difference is what I can do to the machine without raising suspicion.

Those public computer lab machines can be secured to a reasonable extent by password protecting the BIOS/OpenFirmware/EFI/whatever and boot menu then locking the case closed to prevent people from resetting it easily. An attacker generally can't start cutting the case with tools in the middle of a public area without people noticing. They can, however, use this bug to enable an admin account on the machine from which they can do pretty much whatever else they want.

A machine I can bring to a private location and disassemble without interference on the other hand is basically pwned unless it's using good encryption.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

haveblue posted:

it's fixed and apple seems to have taken the very rare step of making the update a mandatory insta-install

yea i clicked "details" when the notification came up & when the app store opened, it was already installed

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

wolrah posted:

A machine in a public computer lab I have physical access to. A machine I can take home (or have stolen) I have physical control over. The difference is what I can do to the machine without raising suspicion.

Those public computer lab machines can be secured to a reasonable extent by password protecting the BIOS/OpenFirmware/EFI/whatever and boot menu then locking the case closed to prevent people from resetting it easily. An attacker generally can't start cutting the case with tools in the middle of a public area without people noticing. They can, however, use this bug to enable an admin account on the machine from which they can do pretty much whatever else they want.

A machine I can bring to a private location and disassemble without interference on the other hand is basically pwned unless it's using good encryption.
physical access also relates to evil maid-style attacks, or plugging in a mitm keylogger on that computer lab workstation

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

wolrah posted:

i've never done a mr. robot black hat thing in my life

okay once in hs but that place was ridiciulous

just saying you can talk to the lab attendant while you're you're doing something awful to one of his or her machines and then get the whole network because who cares

none of that is remotely interesting compared to real exploits anyway

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

syscall girl posted:

i've never done a mr. robot black hat thing in my life

okay once in hs but that place was ridiciulous

just saying you can talk to the lab attendant while you're you're doing something awful to one of his or her machines and then get the whole network because who cares

none of that is remotely interesting compared to real exploits anyway

today my tragic mbp was pwned, tomorrow it's fine

The only awful thing here is your posts!

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

wolrah posted:

Destructive v non destructive is also an important distinction for stuff like evil maid

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

endlessmonotony posted:

Flash in a bugged BIOS if the hardware isn't protected against it.

BitLocker with TPM protector key will ensure that the disk becomes undecryptable as a result, so things are moving in the right direction in protecting against this.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

anthonypants posted:

physical access also relates to evil maid-style attacks, or plugging in a mitm keylogger on that computer lab workstation
Though like the firmware security resets these can often be secured sufficiently for most purposes by physical access controls like putting the computer in a locked cabinet or using cases designed to resist tampering.

I like how the Dell "all-in-one" stands for mounting SFF PCs to the back of monitors have a cover that goes over the "rear" ports (which would otherwise be exposed on the left side in this configuration) that interlocks with the cable lock slot. Without the key you'd have to break it to install a MITM device. A Kensington lock isn't exactly high grade security but it's effective enough for most environments. I wish I could get something similar that could attach to the back of full-size PCs in some secure manner.

apseudonym posted:

Destructive v non destructive is also an important distinction for stuff like evil maid
Definitely, I was just going for the two ends of the spectrum. There's a lot of room in the middle where a situation may allow an attacker to get away with some things but not others. This particular bug was pretty close to the shallow end, it could be exploited pretty much anywhere you had even a minute of general purpose access to the machine without leaving any obvious traces.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Schadenboner posted:

The only awful thing here is your posts!

it's true

i'm sorry (not sorry)

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

apseudonym posted:

It's an abstraction layer for vendor code, of course it loving includes the word vendor.

It also separates out vendor code and allows us to better isolate it, it's an all around good thing.

Yes. And vendors care deeply about software quality and timely updates (yes yes, this update improves the situation).

apseudonym posted:

No, the vendor code cannot inject a tracking dll into apps.

Section "Same-Process HAL (SP-HAL)" https://source.android.com/devices/architecture/vndk/

It's the graphics driver, not the sound driver, my bad. Any process with access to graphics gets the vendor graphics driver DLL loaded, so technically it's not a DLL injection, you're right. And that DLL survives a system upgrade. How is that DLL protected against modifications? How is it certified not to contain potentially unwanted software? (yesyes, this applies even more so to the current situation).

My initial post was made tongue-in-cheek on a dying comedy forum, sorry if it was misinterpreted as a Serious Security Review Of The Product instead of a cheap LOL.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you want people to think you're making a joke you should try being funny.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Jabor posted:

Is "Malware Abstraction Layer" better?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
where is the OP?

she's a gas and a genius

it's all idiots without her

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Jabor posted:

My experience is that I can just live my life normally and people are always laughing around me.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

karoshi posted:

Is "Malware Abstraction Layer" better?

Jabor posted:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Jabor posted:

turn on you’re monitor

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Jabor posted:

Goddamn...

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
faceid update: doesn’t recognize your face at a 90-degree angle

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013

syscall girl posted:

where is the OP?

she's a gas and a genius

it's all idiots without her

pls come back lain and yell at ppl when they go off topic

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

here have a fuckup

our hr dpt use an external provider for "training" and I was trying to access it the other day so searched our intranet for "training" and hit the sponsored link they've stuck in and got taken to a branded page asking for a logon. that's not too unusual for hr because their systems suck and don't SSO half the time but then I checked the url and it's actually a 3rd party site of [company].Vendor.com that's been branded with our logo and is asking for a logon.

turns out the "correct" link is via a proxy that authorises via SSO and logs you on the the vendor, but it does this via a redirect so the url you see (and bookmark or copy and paste) doesn't contain the proxy. so every time somebody tries to send a link to the training site they'll send a link to a branded external website that requests a logon.

loving nice we've phished ourselves

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

my money's on a braceless conditional.

https://objective-see.com/blog/blog_0x24.html

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

bicycle posted:

as someone who has only ever interacted with her online she seems very happy now, and if leaving the forums was good for her mental health then i don't mind if she never comes back

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

anthonypants posted:

as someone who has only ever interacted with her online she seems very happy now, and if leaving the forums was good for her mental health then i don't mind if she never comes back

i miss the posts, but the change in happiness seems pretty clear from the view from online.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i thought her twitter got immediately happier when she transitioned and didn't really correlate it with the forums at all but if that's why then yeah never come back lol

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

bicycle posted:

i've been busy the past few months with a dayjob project and such

y'all are terrible for getting off-topic. c'mon

anthonypants posted:

oh. i am much, much happier now than say a year ago and even a decade ago. i have my own challenges to deal with but i am not losing my mind all the time anymore <3

as for the forums, i am still on them but i have been doing a lot less stuff outside of work just to reduce my stress. i'm working on something at the moment that i'll be posting in yospos at some point but otherwise yeah

actually, i have two things on the go but the latter is waiting on an amazon order

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Lain Iwakura posted:

oh. i am much, much happier now than say a year ago and even a decade ago. i have my own challenges to deal with but i am not losing my mind all the time anymore <3

:unsmith:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lain Iwakura posted:

actually, i have two things on the go but the latter is waiting on an amazon order

allow me to take the opportunity to preemptively welcome you to the Proud Owners of an Internet Buttplug club

(also i'm really glad to hear you're doing well!)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

even more embarrassing

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Lain Iwakura posted:

:toot:

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013

Lain Iwakura posted:

i've been busy the past few months with a dayjob project and such

y'all are terrible for getting off-topic. c'mon

as for the forums, i am still on them but i have been doing a lot less stuff outside of work just to reduce my stress. i'm working on something at the moment that i'll be posting in yospos at some point but otherwise yeah

:3::3::3:

Edit: Here's a funny to avoid an ironic thread derail:

https://twitter.com/info_dox/status/936258429861146624

Tails just sent a bunch of people an email with everyone in the To: field.

Their fix is they will install a browser add-on to avoid it in the future!

bicycle fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 30, 2017

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

anthonypants posted:

taking a break from online stuff when you’re too involved with it is very good for your mental health

I’ve barely been back on Facebook since I went on social media break and I don’t miss that poo poo at all

glad to hear you’re doing better Lain

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Number19 posted:

taking a break from online stuff when you’re too involved with it is very good for your mental health

I’ve barely been back on Facebook since I went on social media break and I don’t miss that poo poo at all

glad to hear you’re doing better Lain

me too! i've been avoiding local infosec groups lately due to personal reasons although i cannot go to the usual meetup anymore as i've been doing roller derby on the same nights. that and it always takes place at the pub and i have quit drinking

i'll be at bsides vancouver this march for sure however

(btw roller derby is rad as heck and i find it hilarious that i am gunning to do a full-contact sport)

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
actually, if all goes to plan, i am going to be working in ireland for a bit this coming summer (have to deal with legal issues revolving around my name and gender marker and then dealing with a new passport) and if timing works right i am going to fly back via nyc to attend HOPE for the first time in six years

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Lain Iwakura posted:

me too! i've been avoiding local infosec groups lately due to personal reasons although i cannot go to the usual meetup anymore as i've been doing roller derby on the same nights. that and it always takes place at the pub and i have quit drinking

i'll be at bsides vancouver this march for sure however

(btw roller derby is rad as heck and i find it hilarious that i am gunning to do a full-contact sport)

i can't go to the local meetups anymore either because they conflict with my parenting schedule. it's too bad because i liked chatting with people but that's life i guess.

maybe i'll try to go to bsides. it'll depend on when it is and if my ex-wife will agree to a time swap

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

roller derby is indeed the poo poo and there's probably a local team you've never heard of in your very own hometown, go watch a jam and cheer and have fun

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Number19 posted:

i can't go to the local meetups anymore either because they conflict with my parenting schedule. it's too bad because i liked chatting with people but that's life i guess.

maybe i'll try to go to bsides. it'll depend on when it is and if my ex-wife will agree to a time swap

there's a defcon 604 meet once a month that may or may not be good. i have been interested in attending but because i haven't been before i am unsure how much fun i'll have considering other events' gender imbalances. it's really annoying because there are good people but i've always gotten on better with women than men and i feel like that this may be a challenge for me

also sup fellow divorce(d|ing) friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lain Iwakura posted:

there's a defcon 604 meet once a month that may or may not be good. i have been interested in attending but because i haven't been before i am unsure how much fun i'll have considering other events' gender imbalances. it's really annoying because there are good people but i've always gotten on better with women than men and i feel like that this may be a challenge for me

also sup fellow divorce(d|ing) friend

I also don't like hanging out with men that much. I basically avoid it outside of work obligations and it has significantly reduced my stress level.

• Locked thread