Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fsif
Jul 18, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

Some teams is the operative word.

No team is willing to do it, he'll no team will even work him out.

It honestly couldn't be more obvious without a written statement leaking.

I feel like we're conflating "collusion" with him not getting signed because of his political beliefs.

He obviously, obviously, obviously would be signed if he didn't kneel, but it's not a sure thing that a couple of owners actively conspired to keep him unemployed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Zerilan posted:

A player at his age and skill level who is willing and physically able to play not even being given a workout by a single team is utterly unprecedented.

Bolded keeps being conveniently forgotten by fans. The fact is, and as everyone around him has publicly attested to, he keeps in shape, regularly works out, and isn't asking to start on a team or even asking for a contract with multiple years.

Like with Bonds, there's plenty of opportunity for a team-friendly deal. It's obvious why that's not happening.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

fsif posted:

I feel like we're conflating "collusion" with him not getting signed because of his political beliefs.

He obviously, obviously, obviously would be signed if he didn't kneel, but it's not a sure thing that a couple of owners actively conspired to keep him unemployed.

I feel like every team doing it means that someone is doing that.

Even though they are mostly rich white dudes they can't all agree on this.

You would think one owner would sell out to possibility win.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

I feel like every team doing it means that someone is doing that.

Even though they are mostly rich white dudes they can't all agree on this.

You would think one owner would sell out to possibility win.

Most teams would benefit by having him as a backup, but there are only a handful of them Kaepernick could transform from a dud to a contender. Seems likely that all the owners are too risk-averse/chickenshit to invite the controversy for a guy sitting on the bench, while the teams that could REALLY use him have at least one coach, GM, or owner that is so repulsed by his protest that they refuse to entertain the notion (e.g., Bob McNair, Tom Coughlin, Steve Bisciotti).

Some collusion still seems likely enough that it should be investigated, but it's pretty easy to tell a story where each club individually decided that he wasn't worth the backlash.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Unironically wish Al Davis was alive, he'd sign Kap.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Zerilan posted:

A player at his age and skill level who is willing and physically able to play not even being given a workout by a single team is utterly unprecedented.

Didn't Seattle bring him in?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Chris James 2 posted:

The only QB who kneeled hasn't gotten a job since, it's pretty obvious that isn't just because of performance

Do you also think Barry Bonds wasn't obviously a victim of collusion

Barry Bonds would have been 43 had he played another season, but could have absolutely gone to an AL team as a DH. His blackballing is probably the worst in modern sports history, except Warren Moon having to play in Canada for a hundred years before going to the NFL. I think Barry could have played 1-3 more years as a DH, easy.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

fsif posted:

It is, in fact, illegal to do this, although the Supreme Court has repeatedly tried to neuter every relevant section of the National Labor Relations Act.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Zoran posted:

It is, in fact, illegal to do this, although the Supreme Court has repeatedly tried to neuter every relevant section of the National Labor Relations Act.

How so?

Edit to clarify: He's not just voting Democrat or something (hell he's not voting at all, lol). He was actively speaking out and making a protest - at his workplace no less. It is understandable that a potential employer would not want to get involved with that, anymore than ESPN wanted to be connected to Hank Williams Jr after his dumb remarks, or all the places that fired people who marched in Charlottesville.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 29, 2017

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

How so?

Edit to clarify: He's not just voting Democrat or something (hell he's not voting at all, lol). He was actively speaking out and making a protest - at his workplace no less. It is understandable that a potential employer would not want to get involved with that, anymore than ESPN wanted to be connected to Hank Williams Jr after his dumb remarks, or all the places that fired people who marched in Charlottesville.

I may be wrong, now that I think about it. There's a patchwork of state laws that might apply here, but the federal ones only explicitly protect political activity in the workplace that involves discussing labor practices or criticizing your employer.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

oldskool posted:

Didn't Seattle bring him in?

They talked about maybe doing it.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

They talked about maybe doing it.

Seattle also has close to 0 cap space.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Saint Celestine posted:

Seattle also has close to 0 cap space.

Seattle doesn't have cap space now, after trading for Sheldon Richardson in August and Duane Brown in October. This wasn't true in the spring, when they were close to bringing him in.

And do not tell me with a straight face that Austin loving Davis is a better fit for this offense than Kap.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

fsif posted:

Most teams would benefit by having him as a backup, but there are only a handful of them Kaepernick could transform from a dud to a contender. Seems likely that all the owners are too risk-averse/chickenshit to invite the controversy for a guy sitting on the bench, while the teams that could REALLY use him have at least one coach, GM, or owner that is so repulsed by his protest that they refuse to entertain the notion (e.g., Bob McNair, Tom Coughlin, Steve Bisciotti).

The way I see it is the NFL is mostly an amoral entity rather than a moral one. It believes in self-preservation at all costs.
The key to survival and growth is to appeal to the highest percentage of the population. It doesn't particularly care if its fans are politically moderate, white supremacist, or communist it just wants all of them, although it does differentiate between rich and poor.

The calculus the NFL (and most likely every owner of ever team) cares about is simply how many fans will we lose if we sign Kaep vs. how many will we lose if we don't sign him? By that I don't mean people who have opinions or are pissed off but rather people who believe so strongly either way that they will stop watching/buying merch ect.

The NFL believes that the damage caused by signing him is more credible so that means they know that a higher percentage of their fanbase are detractors of Kaep AND/OR they spend significantly more money as a whole than Kaep's supporters.

tl;dr there is collusion against Kaep, because it just makes logical sense, and I have no idea how it can be actually be proven.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Wasn’t there a poll that had a decent amount of people that stopped watching the NFL say their reason was the protests? If so I can totally see NFL owners seeing that as a big fat risk to their bottom dollar. Now how you’d use that as a reason for collusion is what gets me.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Wasn’t there a poll that had a decent amount of people that stopped watching the NFL say their reason was the protests? If so I can totally see NFL owners seeing that as a big fat risk to their bottom dollar. Now how you’d use that as a reason for collusion is what gets me.

The poll didn't fit with actual NFL viewership figures in anyway whatsoever.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Half the country voted for Trump. Is it unbelievable that a large portion of them are football fans that don't like Kaepernick?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'd bet money that a lot of those people claiming to have stopped because of the protests still watch. It's like people that claim to be boycotting a video game, but you still see them playing it when you log into Steam.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

its all nice on rice posted:

I'd bet money that a lot of those people claiming to have stopped because of the protests still watch. It's like people that claim to be boycotting a video game, but you still see them playing it when you log into Steam.

I have a friend that claims he is boycotting the NFL. Until today he was deployed to Jordan so it wasn't like he could have watched much anyway.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Posting this again here because it's relevant to the current discussion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I0cUTXwr-k

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

OxySnake posted:

Also all of these owners are dinosaurs and I would not be surprised if one of them has texts talking about how he is disrespecting America and he will never work in the NFL again.

I know there was a picture of Jimmy Haslem using a flip phone in 2014 or so. They use old tech so there's no texts that can become evidence at a later date.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Most people that say they're boycotting poo poo never actually do but the companies still get scared shitless

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

its all nice on rice posted:

I only watch the Browns so I might as well be boycotting.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Bigass Moth posted:

I only watch the Browns so I might as well be boycotting.

That makes you the biggest mark of all.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Half the country voted for Trump. Is it unbelievable that a large portion of them are football fans that don't like Kaepernick?

Except half the country didnt vote for Trump

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

What does all of this have to do with the thread?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Yaws posted:

A whole bunch of the garbaged teams (Browns, Giants, Bears, Packers at least) in the NFL have an immediate upgrade if they were willing to sign Kaep.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

CyberPingu posted:

Except half the country didnt vote for Trump

He got slightly less than half of the third of the country that votes.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Flikken posted:

He got slightly less than half of the third of the country that votes.

Yeah, so under 15% of the country voted for Trump

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Kaepernick almost sounds like a freaking RUSSIAN name to me i'm surprised the TRUMP BOZOS dont love the guy

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Bip Roberts posted:

A whole bunch of the garbaged teams (Browns, Giants, Bears, Packers at least) in the NFL have an immediate upgrade if they were willing to sign Kaep.

Browns and Bears shouldn’t because they just drafted guys they want to develop. Houston should have signed him as soon as Watson got hurt.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Jags would probably be pretty scary with Kaep

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yaws posted:

Because it's fitting that in a thread that should be about the Browns, no one talks about them.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Bigass Moth posted:

Browns and Bears shouldn’t because they just drafted guys they want to develop. Houston should have signed him as soon as Watson got hurt.

Browns have drafted QBs to develop the last 5 or so drafts and yeah...That got them nowhere, they should have at least taken a shot with Kaep

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Amusingly they were rumored to want him last year but went with RG3 who “moved the earth” Hue stood on.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

Browns have drafted QBs to develop the last 5 or so drafts and yeah...That got them nowhere, they should have at least taken a shot with Kaep

*and will draft a QB to develop at least in the next 1 drafts

Prediction: it won't get them far at all

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Bigass Moth posted:

Amusingly they were rumored to want him last year but went with RG3 who “moved the earth” Hue stood on.

The Browns made a better offer than the 49er's made....twice and the Pats never took it. We've been linked to every possible young might be promising QB prospect.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Wasn't it reported that BB wouldn't trade Jimmy G to the Browns due to grudge reasons?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Wasn't it reported that BB wouldn't trade Jimmy G to the Browns due to grudge reasons?

Never read that.

If he had a grudge it should've died with Modell that's who fired him. Then again Browns fans of the period mostly reviled him as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Benne posted:

Seattle doesn't have cap space now, after trading for Sheldon Richardson in August and Duane Brown in October. This wasn't true in the spring, when they were close to bringing him in.

And do not tell me with a straight face that Austin loving Davis is a better fit for this offense than Kap.

True. The problem is that Seattle actually has a good QB. They also did not need another good qb. Kaep wasn't going to be cheap, so they would have paid to have him sit on the bench and thats it.

• Locked thread