Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

SlayVus posted:

Has anybody had their switch restart from overheating from playing SMO? Maybe it was because I was charging the battery all the way from 2% but my switch reset on me while playing SMO in the desert level in handheld mode.

Did it restart or did the battery drain? I've had it where my Switch wouldn't turn on if it was dead and i put it on charge in handheld mode. Could be something similar.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
I've had my Switch get hot in 40c room with the back vent covered in hand held mode, never had it turn off.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Strawberry Panda posted:

Did it restart or did the battery drain? I've had it where my Switch wouldn't turn on if it was dead and i put it on charge in handheld mode. Could be something similar.

Switch came back on and was at 80%. It completely reset while I was in the middle of speed trial in the desert. Was charging it while holding it above me in bed. Heat was of in the house so ambient temperature was around 58f inside.

FireMrshlBill posted:

I haven't played a lot of Mario in handheld while charging, however, I did that a ton with BOTW and never had overheating issues, and I feel that BOTW pushed the system more.

Are you using an official Nintendo charger? Do you have a lot of dust?

Official charger, was holding switch above myself while I was laying in bed. Played for several hours, not a lot of dust. My PC has a lot of fans and I usually have to clean it off dust every year. Even then the dust is pretty light.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 30, 2017

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Hello all. A few weeks ago I posted a bunch of words about Uno. Well, I just got an update and it fixed a few of my issues. Specifically:
- The card you play no longer is placed in the middle of the deck and then pops up. (This was really distracting)
- The time it takes to change who's turn it is seems to have been reduced. I'm not about to bust out a stop watch or anything, but it feels nicer to play.

The Xbox 360 Uno is still the best, but this is fine, too. Also, it's apparently on sale in the eShop right now. For $6.69, I recommend it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SlayVus posted:

Switch came back on and was at 80%. It completely reset while I was in the middle of speed trial in the desert. Was charging it while holding it above me in bed. Heat was of in the house so ambient temperature was around 58f inside.

Official charger, was holding switch above myself while I was laying in bed. Played for several hours,

That doesn’t sound right. I’d call Nintendo if it happens again.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Will Stardew’s multiplayer patch add split screen or online multiplayer?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

FireMrshlBill posted:

I keep it in a cubby of my tv stand (bottom center cubby in the picture below, but I have the shelves all the way up so there is ~1/3 clearance top row and ~2/3 the bottom row), so there is probably about 6" or so of clearance above the docked Switch, just barely big enough for me to be able to dock and undock the Switch an a couple inches of wiggle room . Never had an issue with heat. Though I did have to cut out the back and keep USB fans in the top cubby holding my PS4 Pro to pull in cool air and push hot air out the back.

Our TV stands are super similar, main difference is bottom left and right of mine are drawers. The lack of clearance is why I’ve not put my switch in, as putting the joycons on to charge sounds a bit awkward. I’ll probably invest in a cradle to charge them soon so maybe that’ll change the way I store it.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

SlayVus posted:

Official charger, was holding switch above myself while I was laying in bed. Played for several hours, not a lot of dust. My PC has a lot of fans and I usually have to clean it off dust every year. Even then the dust is pretty light.

Interesting, so you were on your back and it was kind of horizontal? Was your fan noisy? Maybe it has an issue when horizontal with fan being off kilter and not cooling properly since it has to push the air forward instead of up and out. Or just the battery getting overheated from charge and play. I don't know how it does charge and play, if it pulls power off the charger to keep the console powered and charges the battery on the side, or if it powers the console off the battery and charges it while draining it, I'd assume the former.

I'd try to recreate the scenario and see if it happens again, and then contact Nintendo. Get it below 60% so you know it is doing rapid charge (usually kicks off around 80 or 90% in most devices) and play a demanding part of the game like that speed trial again. Make sure brightness, airplane mode, and everything else is the same.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Our TV stands are super similar, main difference is bottom left and right of mine are drawers. The lack of clearance is why I’ve not put my switch in, as putting the joycons on to charge sounds a bit awkward. I’ll probably invest in a cradle to charge them soon so maybe that’ll change the way I store it.

Just measured and that cubby is right under 9.5" tall, so you figure the docked Switch is about 5" tall. So just 4.5" of clearance over it or so, enough room to slide the Switch in at an angle and put it in the dock. But plenty of room behind it to pull air in.

Though the Nyko intercooler that connects to the back of the dock and forces air into the intake vent at the back looks interesting. Though haven't had any heat issues.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 30, 2017

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Hmm now that people mention it I have my dock behind my monitor and if I face away from it (towards the other monitor next to it), and hang my hands low with each joycon in one hand, the left one gets all funky. As if the joystick is being perpetually held to the left, etc

I might move the dock around but it has a perfect glass stand behind the screen and it looks great and :effort:

I have a mad hankering for an RPG, guys. Or monster loving hunter. I doubt Xenoblade will fit that niche as it's MMO based combat (the wrost thing ever basically), maybe D5 might scratch that itch. Skyrim certaintly doesn't!

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 30, 2017

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Ya, that isn't surprising. My toddler has stood in front of me and caused joycon connection issues. Same with playing MK8 with the joycon sideways and really meat hoofing it, causes issues and I have to hold it more in the tips of my fingers. And I don't have it nearly as bad as others reported given how far away I sit.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

japan recently voted the penis demon as their favorite

hell, same

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
I picked up a Switch last weekend, only have Zelda at the moment but it's so good. At least until I hit my first gyroscope shrine, gently caress dealing with that. The rest is still pretty great. I haven't even hooked it up the TV yet, I like using it as a portable.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah I usually favor portable but I can't deny that docked is fun as hell at times, espcially for games like Zelda, what with the gorgeous landscapes and all

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Switch is a great console because games that play well portably... can be. And games that play better docked... can be.

I dig it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pharohman777 posted:

Someone made a comment about how the mario characters are less characters and more actors nintendo uses.

That really is so loving true.
And its the same with the mario universe as well. Location and semi-iconic buildings are clearly props used and changed between games for various purposes.

After such a long time doing this stuff, I really think Mario+Rabbids shows the strength of this approach.
The mario characters and world is so undefined in location and history that except for some bedrock stuff, the characters can appear in all sorts of games and media.

The sonic universe is the same... but it has been handled quite badly.

Mario+Rabbids is actually a perfect example to use for this topic. The game has a LOT of humor and jokes that are poking fun at the Mario franchise and characters, and there's a lot of humor there that works so well because Nintendo has built this really amazingly well defined consistent iconic world with similarly iconic characters. Rabbid Mario being characterized as actually a like, new york teamster, things like Luigi creeping out the other Rabbids, Peach's weapon being a loving shotgun. Basically the entirety of the third world's boss fight. So much of the humor works so well because Mario and its world is so well known. The Rabbids are literally taking all the stereotypes you know from the regular Mario crew and flipping them on their head.

This extends to the gameplay as well. When you come across the battles with the chain chomps for the first time, the game does tell you how they work. However if they game had chosen to not tell you how they worked and let it be a mystery, you could easily assume how they'd work because chain chomps are an iconic thing in Mario that always behave a certain way. Chain Chomps will lunge at you if they see you. Also they will bark. Thowmps were never a thing in the game but if they were, you'd know exactly how they'd act on the battlefield. You'd have to avoid stopping directly under one, and they'd go URGH. Things like that.

It's why I really don't think you could do the same thing with Sonic. Partly because Sonic ends up feeling a bit more self aware in its own games in a way Mario TYPICALLY doesn't, but also because Mario has a consistency that Sonic barely ever has.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

So is that Mario Rabbids game basically XCom without the worldsim part, just the tactics part?

Because that plus a silly story/characters sounds pretty great to be honest, at least if XBC2 weren't coming on in 24 hours

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Rabbids > Broodles

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Ciaphas posted:

So is that Mario Rabbids game basically XCom without the worldsim part, just the tactics part?

Because that plus a silly story/characters sounds pretty great to be honest, at least if XBC2 weren't coming on in 24 hours

XBC2 could be bad!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Kind of, yeah. It is very streamlined and has a much stronger emphasis on mobility compared to XCom.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That point about enemy consistency is actually pretty good. No matter how much the gameplay or artstyle and genere shifts, backround characters, items, and enemies are rearranged in a manner that fits them. They rely on a regular cast of core enemies/objects to give environments the mario 'brand'. Suddenly you get NPC goomba villages and sporty, athletic koopas. Dry bones go from regenerating platforming enemy to generic zombie in an rpg game.

And Nintendo is still adding 'actors' to its huge mario brand, which encompasses the Donkey Kong and Wario/warioware brands as well.
Captain toad and Rosalina are great recent additions to the mario roster, and Mayor Pauline might just pop up in mario games again in various roles.

Sonic just keeps throwing everthing out and trying over and over again when it comes to enemies and NPC's. Only the 'main cast' ever sticks around.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

Kind of, yeah. It is very streamlined and has a much stronger emphasis on mobility compared to XCom.

I... hmm, drat, that's exactly what I wanted from XCom 2. Now I'm tempted.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

I... hmm, drat, that's exactly what I wanted from XCom 2. Now I'm tempted.

It's a good video game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ciaphas posted:

Not really. It doesn't have any strategic layer but the tactical layer only resembles Xcom in the basic mechanics. The huge difference between Xcom and Rabbids is that Rabbids has no procedural generation and no penalty for failure beyond restarting the mission. Its more of a puzzle game where you have to find a solution to carefully designed challenges. There's no management of an overarching campaign like in Xcom with varying degrees of success and failure for each mission, which really changes how you play the game.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
About 75% of the way through Jydge. It's a pretty entertaining game overall, but they lock levels behind medals. To get to the later levels you'll need beat most of earlier ones multiple times, once on each difficulty, in order to get enough medals to proceed. They're mostly pretty easy but it's still kinda of dumb that they lock the last of the content behind completing each level 3+ times (and really it'll be more like 6 or more times, since sometimes it's nearly impossible to complete all the objectives in one go.)

Also, a bunch of the levels have a medal for getting through unseen. Which for a game like Jydge is really dumb.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
That's hilarious, after a few beers I impulse purchased RE Revelations because gently caress it. Looking forward to checki-oh, it's a 12 gig download.

Guess I won't get to play til tomorrow, and I'll probably remember to not buy large games right before bed time because yeah. Wasn't this a 3DS game? It's too thicc

:shrug:

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
battle chef brigade is pretty fuckin cool guys

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Electromax posted:

Is there an English game series with similarly notable voice acting that gets Japanese gamers riled up over language selection the way, say, MGS or RPGs do here?

Like are people in Japan having serious debates about Elena's JP VA being superior in Uncharted 3 or whatever.

serious question are there western aaa single player games that lots and lots of japanese people play these days? i honestly don't know.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

KingSlime posted:

That's hilarious, after a few beers I impulse purchased RE Revelations because gently caress it. Looking forward to checki-oh, it's a 12 gig download.

Guess I won't get to play til tomorrow, and I'll probably remember to not buy large games right before bed time because yeah. Wasn't this a 3DS game? It's too thicc

:shrug:

Capcom doesn't know how to compress games. Rev2 is like 26gb

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

https://twitter.com/XenobladeJP/status/936129635502325760

:vince:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Holy poo poo

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Is she going to shoot through our own people like last time? :crossarms:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Zas posted:

serious question are there western aaa single player games that lots and lots of japanese people play these days? i honestly don't know.

I think Skyrim (thread relevant!) was absolutely huge in Japan and led to this movement of Japanese games trying to adopt open world ideas.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Did the switch get any games recently?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T2jSVp26FA

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

:perfect:
:dogbutton:
:aaa:

Holy poo poo.

Listen, you motherfuckers may think that you are Xenosaga fans. You are wrong.

My first time on an airplane was to go to an IONA concert just so I could see Joanne Hogg. I didn't even like the rest of her music. But she did the ending songs, so I had to, you see.

So you're telling me I'm going to have to buy Xenoblade Chronicles 2, a game I had no previous interest in. As a 30 year old goddamned adult. gently caress you, Switch. There goes $60

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i know gently caress all about xenosaga and am currently :geno: about this

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

:five::five::five::five::five::five::five:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

It was too good for this world. It was so good, they had to shorten it, and make it bad. But it is still good. And it abandoned us :cry:

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I did not anticipate this outcome as a possibility. drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ciaphas posted:

The first one had a CCG that some mobile dev should probably steal and monetize already.

• Locked thread