Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

cheetah7071 posted:

I just saw TOS Omega Glory

This show was considered progressive on race at one point

At the time Star Trek started airing, most network lineups were still mostly rural shows and westerns that deliberately ignored what was going on the world, and portrayed an idyllic (and only for white people) world. CBS was running an Andy Griffith spinoff called "Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C." that was set on a Marine Corps base that made no mention of the then-ongoing Vietnam War. And Star Trek was among the few shows on the air at the time to really acknowledge social issues, along with The Twilight Zone and the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour.

And the Omega Glory was written in 1965, barely a year after Goldwater's campaign and when Birchers were laying the groundwork for the southern strategy. And yet it wasn't shot until December 1967, where it had relatively few edits from what was originally written, and then it aired on March 1st 1968, only a short time after the Tet Offensive, Cronkite calling the war "unwinnable" and the infamous photo of Nguyễn Văn Lém being summarily executed in the street.

And it has this message about a twisted version of America that was so wrapped up in trying to get one over on the drat commies that they had regressed into cavemen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Been rewatching DS9, only skipped The Muse so far... I just got to Chrysalis, and almost skipped it... boy, do I wish I had.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

thexerox123 posted:

Been rewatching DS9, only skipped The Muse so far... I just got to Chrysalis, and almost skipped it... boy, do I wish I had.

I skipped it on my last rewatch and feel totally okay with it. I'm not sure who the target audience for that episode is, but I don't think I want to know them.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Mike the TV posted:

I skipped it on my last rewatch and feel totally okay with it. I'm not sure who the target audience for that episode is, but I don't think I want to know them.

It’s me. I’m the one who likes Chrysalis.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't remember what episode is that. Is that the poetry teen sex vampire?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

HD DAD posted:

It’s me. I’m the one who likes Chrysalis.

Whyyyy

I don't want to watch Awakenings but with a gross unethical doctor.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I don't remember what episode is that. Is that the poetry teen sex vampire?

No, it's the one with the other augmented people, but they all have various issues that Bashir doesn't have. The sex crazed one, the autistic one, the catatonic one, etc.

Poetry Teen Sex Vampire (great band name) was The Muse. Another awful episode, but way more watchable.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

WampaLord posted:

No, it's the one with the other augmented people, but they all have various issues that Bashir doesn't have. The sex crazed one, the autistic one, the catatonic one, etc.

Poetry Teen Sex Vampire (great band name) was The Muse. Another awful episode, but way more watchable.

That one's statistical probabilities not chrysalis

Not that I remember which one chrysalis is

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Chrysalis is the episode where Bashir fixes the genetically enhanced lady who is stuck in her own mind with surgery, then thinks it okay to immediately date her. It is not a good episode.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

thexerox123 posted:

Whyyyy

I don't want to watch Awakenings but with a gross unethical doctor.

Because I’m easily entertained by the augments and Bashir’s gross desperation for someone to love him. It’s definitely a guilty pleasure.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

WampaLord posted:

Oh yeah I remember that one woman had the crippling disability of sexual agency

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I actually rather like the augments, they are entertaining. But Bashir is really creepy and unethical in Chrysalis.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

That one's statistical probabilities not chrysalis

No, it's the second one with them, they were in more than one.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Oh yeah I remember that one woman had the crippling disability of sexual agency

The writers are clearly trying to portray her as a nymphomaniac.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Bashir truly is Geordi 2.0 with women - he’s charming enough to get in there just enough to really wreak havoc and hurt people because he needs to get space laid and is a total creep about it.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

HD DAD posted:

Bashir truly is Geordi 2.0 with women - he’s charming enough to get in there just enough to really wreak havoc and hurt people because he needs to get space laid and is a total creep about it.

This is untrue because Bashir consistently gets laid, space creepiness aside.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I was always mildly annoyed that they didn't go the route hinted in their first episode, that catatonic lady was crushing on Jack (or was it vice versa?)

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

I was always mildly annoyed that they didn't go the route hinted in their first episode, that catatonic lady was crushing on Jack (or was it vice versa?)

Yeah, Bashir says something like "I know that you like Jack, I see the way you look at him when you think that nobody's watching." to her. Not addressed at all in Chrysalis.

Also, the Do Re Mi musical number was bad and toooo long.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

Vice versa, Jack loved catatonic lady. That's why sexy lady called him a coward, because he wasn't true to himself or catatonic lady about his feelings for her.

edit: ^^ both? not a good look for Bashir in any case :whitewater:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

HD DAD posted:

You'd think with Quark's right there it wouldn't be a problem.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

Also, the Do Re Mi musical number was bad and toooo long.

DS9 is at its worst when it goes full starry-eyed whimsy. Like Kira dancing (and breathing) in Odo's sentient dust motes

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Ben Nerevarine posted:

DS9 is at its worst when it goes full starry-eyed whimsy. Like Kira dancing (and breathing) in Odo's sentient dust motes

What about that time someone on the production team got super into DBZ and everyone’s suddenly wearing scouters and Pah-Wraiths are having kamehameha duels.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

HD DAD posted:

What about that time someone on the production team got super into DBZ and everyone’s suddenly wearing scouters and Pah-Wraiths are having kamehameha duels.

I recently saw that episode after having completely forgotten it and woo boy you're not wrong

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I remember seeing something on YouTube about that episode; evidently it was really hard to film because if you tell two actors to just stare at each other and grimace, they will start getting giggly fits for the rest of the shoot.

Hell, isn't that episode kinda the instigator for most of the Prophet/Wraith stuff? Everything happens because Sisko wouldn't let it resolve.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Peachfart posted:

I actually rather like the augments, they are entertaining. But Bashir is really creepy and unethical in Chrysalis.

I didn't like Jack, but that's probably the intent.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

I remember seeing something on YouTube about that episode; evidently it was really hard to film because if you tell two actors to just stare at each other and grimace, they will start getting giggly fits for the rest of the shoot.

Hell, isn't that episode kinda the instigator for most of the Prophet/Wraith stuff? Everything happens because Sisko wouldn't let it resolve.

Actually Kai Wynn hosed it up. Sisko was willing to let it play out (at the expense of the station, his friend, and even his son).

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Actually Kai Wynn hosed it up. Sisko was willing to let it play out (at the expense of the station, his friend, and even his son).

It was a good reference to Abraham being told by God to sacrifice his son. It showed that Sisko had faith, and Winn had none.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Ben Nerevarine posted:

That was the thing. He had more faith in the Prophets than she did.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Winn is a great character, but i feel like having her working with the Pah Wraiths was a mistake

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

FlamingLiberal posted:

i feel like...the Pah Wraiths [were] a mistake

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Oh yeah, it was Winn, my bad.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Winn is a great character, but i feel like having her working with the Pah Wraiths was a mistake

Eh, given her character, it made sense. She's been working in her planets religion for her whole life, but having this emptiness that comes from never getting the one-on-one time with her Gods that seemingly everyone else gets. It's compounded when some alien schlub gets chosen as her God's emissary, so she's got extra salt.

But the Wraith? They respect her. They give her one-on-one time (I think?) that she never got from the Prophets. She's so desperate for that, that she'll sign on the dotted line with the Enemy.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Heh, DeSoto was just mentioned in a S7 episode of DS9. The Greatest Gen guys are going to be so excited when they get to it. :allears:

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I recently saw that episode after having completely forgotten it and woo boy you're not wrong

Top 10 Anime Battles

I wonder if this aired before or after the kinda-sorta similar Vorlon stuff on Babylon 5.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is he the captain of The Hood?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Is he the captain of The Hood?

He is!

Nog loaned out the Captain's desk to some guy who apparently had photos of himself behind DeSoto and Picard's desks.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Delsaber posted:

Top 10 Anime Battles

I wonder if this aired before or after the kinda-sorta similar Vorlon stuff on Babylon 5.

Thinking about it, I wonder if Weyoun's hair was inspired by Mr. Morden's. DS9 just couldn't stop ripping B5 off, man. What a bunch of loving hacks.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Peachfart posted:

To be fair, that's the whole point - Bashir realizes at the end that he crossed the line and was acting gross, and so he backs off.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Cythereal posted:

To be fair, that's the whole point - Bashir realizes at the end that he crossed the line and was acting gross, and so he backs off.

If only there were some basic set of expectations that went along with being a doctor that could have prevented this completely obvious problem!

Next, maybe they should do a story about him sexually harassing a nurse and realizing he was acting gross but having no consequences. Sounds great!

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 30, 2017

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean... Give it 10 years, it'll probably seem quaint in comparison to whatever's going on in real life politics at that point.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

thexerox123 posted:

If only there were some basic set of expectations that went along with being a doctor that could have prevented this completely obvious problem!

Next, maybe they should do a story about him sexually harassing a nurse and realizing he was acting gross but having no consequences. Sounds great!

The show's not on anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The show's not on anymore

I've travelled back in time to 1998 to watch it, how do you rewatch TV?