Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

HatfulOfHollow posted:

You wouldn't even be the first person to get a visit from the secret service for saying dumb criminal poo poo on SA.
Thus the rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Tell us about that.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Motherfucker posted:

Tell us about that.

A dude in LF posted a very long and elaborate plan on how to murder then President George W Bush. Lowtax got a visit from the Secret Service asking if he was aware of the post and for access to the SA servers. I don't believe any arrests were made, but the "don't talk about killing politicians" rule went up immediately after.

And yeah, it's true that the SS probably doesn't care about threats of unbirthing Trump or whatever you ended up saying, but it's one of the few rules that has no wiggle room.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's because this website kicks rear end.

this is true

the more poo poo I see come out of the internet, the more I appreciate these simple, crappy forums

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Who What Now posted:

A dude in LF posted a very long and elaborate plan on how to murder then President George W Bush. Lowtax got a visit from the Secret Service asking if he was aware of the post and for access to the SA servers. I don't believe any arrests were made, but the "don't talk about killing politicians" rule went up immediately after.

And yeah, it's true that the SS probably doesn't care about threats of unbirthing Trump or whatever you ended up saying, but it's one of the few rules that has no wiggle room.
It also contributing to LF dying, along with the fact that LF had gradually gone completely loving insane.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Who What Now posted:

it wasn't elaborate, it was "assassinate the president of the united states" except I think he spelled it worse

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

hackbunny posted:

oh boy finally a chance to post these:

I'll post the rest if there's interest. they document the general atmosphere in GBS around 2006. author now works as an animator for a popular tv show

This is awesome

hackbunny posted:

I'll add a recent, minor and obscure bit of SA forums history

the crew chat subforum also hosts the webcomic mock thread. what very few knew was that it had evolved away from webcomics and into a "comic book club" of sorts, where we took turns impressing or horrifying the other thread posters with obscure print comics. in some cases, truly obscure stuff, like scans of Heavy Metal from the 70s or the works of a finnish author that had never had official english translations, and in other cases cool mainstream comics (like the works of Moebius, or Satoru Noda's Golden Kamuy) that might have escaped our attention. it was huge fun shitposting or seriousposting about comics from all eras, styles and countries, figuring out unexpected references and homages (like how old man Joseph Jostar's spotted hat is an obscure callout to Enki Bilal's Froid Equateur), mocking the flaws of legendary award winning authors like they were webcomic nobodies, etc. it had a real "book club" or "lp collector" vibe where we all tried to wow each other with novelties or new takes on old classics (like posting side-by-side Carl Barks stories and their Don Rosa sequels) or out and out garbage like the legendarily poor Duwang scanlations

we tried to be self-policing as we knew we were on thin ice for posting tons of copyrighted content (albeit most of which long out of print or never translated), but some idiot had to go ahead and post diaper fur poo poo, and a bigger idiot had to report it to mods and call attention to our thread. a few months later, an even bigger idiot took exception to not enough boring shittily drawn webcomics being posted compared to the "book club" stuff, and managed to get the thread not just closed but outright deleted (or as close to deleted as our lovely forums software allows, ie. probably moved to a mods-only forum). in typical SA forums mod style, BYOB mod fluffie duckie gave no explanation for the deletion for days, although we all suspected why. the thread came back, with a ban on print comics, and that's its current form

what I find especially dumb about the whole thing is that the thread was a small self-contained community, in a permanently paywalled subforum, so unlike defunct blog Scans Daily, that posted publicly accessible scans of just-released comics by large and litigious publishers, it took deliberate effort from the inside to call attention to it and get it deleted

This is not, in fact it sucks poo poo

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

wit posted:

I absolutely adored the terra malatora saga. It had everything. Poop was touched, poop touched back, dramatic readings of dragon dong erotica were given, goons started white knighting a girl then backed off when it turned out to be a trans* person, and there was a meticulous coup plot to take over a small african island by otherkin wanting to make it into a world of cyborg dick dragons. Which would work because their dear leader was really good at reading wikipedia articles and could totally make it happen.

Someone made an entire videogame to mock them

That was a hell of a ride

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

FactsAreUseless posted:

It also contributing to LF dying, along with the fact that LF had gradually gone completely loving insane.

YES finally, I have friend who swears LF was the best thing ever, but I agree with you

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

gnarlyhotep posted:

YES finally, I have friend who swears LF was the best thing ever, but I agree with you
When it was funny it was really loving funny. I remember loving some of the threads in the LF goldmine, like the Gor thread or the Thomas Friedman one. The problem is that it eventually just ate itself. At some point it turned super Helldumpy. Maybe it always was, and I just didn't notice when I was 16 and lurking.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

People can accuse mods of being the politics police or complain that CSPAM are a bunch of lefty nuts or whatever, but it isn't even a little comparable. Especially with LF at the same time as YCS and Helldump. I didn't register until the tail end of all that but it strikes me now as a really weird time for the forums.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I miss YCS.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

When it was funny it was really loving funny. I remember loving some of the threads in the LF goldmine, like the Gor thread or the Thomas Friedman one. The problem is that it eventually just ate itself. At some point it turned super Helldumpy. Maybe it always was, and I just didn't notice when I was 16 and lurking.

Oh for God's sake there's a Gor thread? I MUST read it.

Where is it?

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Spinster posted:

Where is it?

Yeah man don't bring poo poo up like that if you're not gonna share

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Spinster posted:

Where is it?
IDK how to access the LF archives anymore, sorry.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Welcome to a thread called GOR!

*whipcrack*

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Spinster posted:

Where is it?

I don't have the link but that thread is literally the reason :biotruths: exists.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

Welcome to a thread called GOR!

*whipcrack*

Link it for me and I'll love you forever

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Might as well say it: I was the dumbass who made the time map for Zybourne Clock.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Who remembers that cat that wrecked his neighbor's television with a Sega coax rig? Then the neighbor's house burned down.

Or the guy that interviewed with the FBI?

Two of the earliest forum detective stories I recall

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Spinster posted:

Link it for me and I'll love you forever

It's lost forever, just like a woman's freedom on Gor.

You could always make a new one.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
One thing that should probably be mentioned in this thread is the D&D mod who died in the Benghazi attacks (Vilerat). Vilerat is the only known deceased Goon whom has not had his account banned. You can read a pretty good account of his interactions with our community here.

Zack "Geist Editor" Parsons posted:

Sean went by the nickname "Vilerat" on our forums when he registered in 2002. When he became a mod of SA's political forum in 2009 he stuck with Vilerat. He used the same name on EVE Online, where he was a hugely influential diplomat for the Goonswarm guild, and he used Vilerat for his email address. He was so fond of the nickname he never bothered to register a more professional email, even after ten years at the US State Department.

When he was handed a form he sometimes smirked when he got to the email entry and filled in "Vilerat@gmail.com." He might have found it just as amusing to see all the great tributes to him forced to reconcile their effusive praise with calling him an unpleasant rodent.

It is no surprise there have been so many tributes to him. Vilerat made connections with everyone he met. He was friendly, smart, and generous with his time. He was beloved by his family and colleagues, and he will be dearly missed. He loved to post about seeing the world with his family, sharing pictures and talking about teaching his kids to cook or trying to get them hooked on video games. His family will no doubt pay him a fitting tribute when he is laid to rest in the coming days.

You can read about his experiences on EVE Online, one of his favorite hobbies, in a very thorough tribute from his friends in the Goonswarm guild and a tribute from CCP, the company behind EVE.

He was also beloved by the community here at Something Awful, a community he helped shape, particularly in his three years as a moderator of Debate & Discussion. He also contributed heavily to the Foreign Services thread on SA, which gave State Department employees and those interested in foreign service a chance to network. Vilerat helped many goons get jobs working for the State Department. He was proud of what the thread represented.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

It's lost forever, just like a woman's freedom on Gor.

You could always make a new one.

I just choked on my Cheerios. Dammit. No, I'll pass.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Spinster posted:

Where is it?
The World of Gor Megathread

You may want to block the style sheet.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
My favorite thing about SA is the threads for sourcing advice or existing purely to give advice about very specific situations. Reddit emulates those but the ease at which reddit can be trolled and the less involved nature of posters drag it down compared to the surprisingly caring SA community.

Of course this also results in seeing people crash and burn because of theor own stupidity. BlueStory and her husbands advebtures in finances or the dogfood goon are personal favorited.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

absolutely not

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

:buddy: thank you kind stranger :tipshat:

These turned me on a bit in my early twenties ( to my everlasting shame.) This should be good.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I started reading SA when I found the site through Fark back in 2001, but didn't find the forums until 2003/2004. Didn't register until 2007 because I, like half of SA, had gone Obama crazy and I wanted to post post post.
Then I followed LF and enjoyed the highs and the lows, along with the bizarre attempts to get people to stop going there(Forums Cancer, the LF stylesheet), which only served to make LF even crazier.
And I still visit this place because social media is poo poo and the Internet now is boring stale garbage. SA might be bad in some ways, but it is goddamned terrible everywhere else.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Im dying already

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Gor is hilariously awesome because it looked at the sword and sorcery genre that Robert E. Howard kicked off and said, "Hmm, not alpha male/sexist enough." It gets funnier when you find out that there are communities where people act out Gor as their fetish. Also, there's a pretty good MST3K episode that makes fun of a Gor movie that managed to snag Jack Palance into it.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

That was really freakin funny. My favorite part was the goon that posted, "Uh, my dad has like all of these books,"

Dad of Gor

Thanks again.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Zas posted:

thanks, I never read or looked at YCS even though I was around back then and I always wondered what the deal was. people don't talk about it the same way they do helldump or LF

I avidly read YCS at the time.

By that I mean the best thread the forums has ever had The "Post the YCSest Images you got" thread.

Prester Jane posted:

One thing that should probably be mentioned in this thread is the D&D mod who died in the Benghazi attacks (Vilerat). Vilerat is the only known deceased Goon whom has not had his account banned. You can read a pretty good account of his interactions with our community here.

dabigredboat should have died. That or bobfrommarketing. Whichever one was the pedo.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

YCS was a goddamn ride and my one regret about not really posting is that I didn't do it in there when it was hot

But damned if I didn't have enough sense to tell it was TOO hot to dive in

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

LF was, for a while, full of 25% informative great threads and 75% insane stupid threads about maoist third worldism and/or ron paul

then that ratio shifted dramatically in a bad direction

then the regular posters started buying jeans for a fake transgender muslim cripple or something, brother aziz

it was like the forums first taste of doobie's doghouse

edit: ycs was great for a while too, i got my first couple of name changes in there. Dr Videogames 95 and Firstpersonshitter. I got my avatar from there too and I've kept it ever since. I kind of got out of there once all the anime poo poo started happening.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 30, 2017

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

That's another one of the small things I remember about the forums, mostly because it made me laugh especially hard for no reason, was suddenly noticing all the Dr. Videogames names popping up. That got me as time went on. Noticing mass changes of names and avatars relating to this or that. Sometimes seeing avatars over and over and more pop up got me to check out what was going on. In one case, that led me into getting into Homestuck right as it got really good and right before it got really bad (sometime in like what, hell, 2010? 2011?). I can credit SA for saving me in the same breath though, as I dove into that mess of a community, I could have gotten big in it from stuff I wrote, but knew from dogged experience here to just walk right the gently caress away and then whole thing burned up around 2013. SA is pretty good for litmus testing entertainment well, once you're experienced enough to read a thread for a clear idea.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

warez posted:

I made this account with my dad’s debit card (and permission) when I was 12 and have lurked off and on through the years (I’m 26 now). This forum just seemed really insular and unforgiving, which scared me away from ever engaging with it (maybe a good thing because at that age I would have been even more clueless/annoying than I am now).

Maybe sounds embarrassing but nowadays “did you ever frequent SA” is something like a litmus test for when I meet new nerd friends to see how steeped they were in internet culture around the early ‘00s.

I'm also 26 and while I didn't register an account until I was 19, I had lurked the forums since 2004 and read the front page since 2003. It's probably just as well I didn't buy an account when I was a teenager as I'm sure I'd have been banned. The posts I made on other forums at the time makes me cringe.

I've asked a few nerd friends about SA but none of them have heard of the place. I don't think any of them were or are really into forums which is a shame, but forums are so different now than they were 10-15 years ago. As much as people like to talk about decline, this is the only forum I know of that is still going strong.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Video Nasty posted:

Oh yeah, and everyone hated Geckolio after a goon meet.

I think the redhead was Rabid Hamster and Geckholio was the one flipping her off

There were other pictures where Rabid Hamster was on a bed topless and a bunch of creeps are creeping around her.

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Post the one of Lowtax looking at shmorky in a hateful manner.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

saclopedia dosn't have an LF entry so I dunno what the gently caress that even stands for / was.

Forums baby up in this bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Ludicrous Finances

• Locked thread