Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FreakyMetalKid posted:

gently caress everything. I thought ASU might slip from decent to subpar, but Herm Edwards is a "destroy everything" level bad move. So much for competing with USC for the Pac 12 South, we're aiming to compete with Tennessee for biggest management debacle.

It sounds like they’re going to try to keep all the assistants so at least there’s some stability I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I get that P5 schools believe they should hire a guy with head coaching experience, but there are a bunch of coordinators that would be really good hires. We've already seen Moorhead go to MSU, and I'd rather take a gamble on a guy like Pruitt, Venables or Aranda than Doeren or Herm loving Edwards

if A&M whiffs on Jimbo, I'd rather see them take a shot at one of those guys instead of Chad Morris, who is basically Houston-era Sumlin with a slightly worse resume

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

nate fisher posted:

I am sorry but if VT was going to hire Doeran with that record, Crotch Bat wouldn’t be singing any praises to him. It’s an awful hire, and he is going to get his rear end rocked yearly by Saban, Smart, and now Mullen. He will not last beyond 3 years if he takes the job. So many better names you make a run at.

No matter if I’m right or wrong, given the last 2 hires and what happen Sunday, the AD is completely tone deaf. It’s going to get worse.

Edit: I would be shocked if he takes it, and I don’t blame him.

If VT hired Doeren as their #1 choice, yes. If my school had been so thoroughly humiliated in the past few weeks they will be the butt of jokes for years to come and so desperately needed some sense of putting the program back on a healing path I could more than tolerate Doeren.

You guys are beyond done this offseason. You're a joke in every last aspect of the coaching carousel and still acting like the choosiest beggars I've ever seen. Hiring someone who is Mullen-like is far more than you deserve at this point.

Like I said, maybe the best thing for UT is to just give Hoke a year and go all-in next year with a new AD. Whatever G5 miracle you're hoping for is probably not going to come true and will just get destroyed anyway.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

curried lamb of God posted:

I get that P5 schools believe they should hire a guy with head coaching experience, but there are a bunch of coordinators that would be really good hires. We've already seen Moorhead go to MSU, and I'd rather take a gamble on a guy like Pruitt, Venables or Aranda than Doeren or Herm loving Edwards

if A&M whiffs on Jimbo, I'd rather see them take a shot at one of those guys instead of Chad Morris, who is basically Houston-era Sumlin with a slightly worse resume

Chad Morris is one of those guys though, just 3 years later.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FreakyMetalKid posted:

gently caress everything. I thought ASU might slip from decent to subpar, but Herm Edwards is a "destroy everything" level bad move. So much for competing with USC for the Pac 12 South, we're aiming to compete with Tennessee for biggest management debacle.

The Old Boys Club rides again!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crotch Bat posted:

If VT hired Doeren as their #1 choice, yes. If my school had been so thoroughly humiliated in the past few weeks they will be the butt of jokes for years to come and so desperately needed some sense of putting the program back on a healing path I could more than tolerate Doeren.

You guys are beyond done this offseason. You're a joke in every last aspect of the coaching carousel and still acting like the choosiest beggars I've ever seen. Hiring someone who is Mullen-like is far more than you deserve at this point.

Like I said, maybe the best thing for UT is to just give Hoke a year and go all-in next year with a new AD. Whatever G5 miracle you're hoping for is probably not going to come true and will just get destroyed anyway.

Mullen was better at a harder job I don’t know why you keep pushing that. Their floor is about the same and Mullen’s ceiling is a lot higher. He exceeded Doerans best win total at NC St. 3 times and has had two top 15 teams.

There are plenty of good coaches left who would take that job, they don’t need to just punt on it.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I'd love to go back and tell 1997 me that in 20 years Kane would be breaking news about Tennessee's disastrous coaching search after they went 4-8

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Dave Doeren being the subject of a bidding war is hilarious.

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy

FreakyMetalKid posted:

I'd argue you're way closer to competing with USC than you are with Tennessee on those respective fronts.

It remains to be seen how Arkansas can manage to screw up its (AD and coach, because that makes each easier, right?) hirings, but I'm cautiously optimistic we'll be able to say the same, relative to say Alabama/Auburn/whoever.

Tennessee has set the bar that high.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

curried lamb of God posted:

Herm Edwards is getting hired because Ray Anderson didn’t like Todd Graham and wanted to get his old client/friend one last payday, that’s it. As you said there is literally zero reason to go with Edwards over an upcoming assistant, a small college coach, or the likes of Sumlin or Les-begging for a job-Miles.

Ray Anderson is a crony and our football team won’t be decent again until he and his friends are gone.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I hope Mullen stays at Florida for a couple of decades.

The coaching carousel seems sparser and more dangerous than ever before.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

MourningView posted:

Mullen was better at a harder job I don’t know why you keep pushing that. Their floor is about the same and Mullen’s ceiling is a lot higher. He exceeded Doerans best win total at NC St. 3 times and has had two top 15 teams.

There are plenty of good coaches left who would take that job, they don’t need to just punt on it.

I don't know why you think MSU was in a much harder spot than dealing with top 5 Clemson and top 5 FSU each year. NCSU's not the flagship school of the state and has more limited resources than MSU. They finished 2nd in the Atlantic this year and have come just short of beating Clemson the past two years. Mullen's been at MSU for like 5 more years and it took him like 7 years to finally post a good team (of his own). This is just year 5 for Doeren and he hasn't done anything but improve each year.

I won't tell you Doeren's better than Mullen but Mullen isn't some crazy god coach either, he made a middling school above-average on occasion which is no different than what Doeren is doing at NCSU. Also mentioning their records and ignoring that all Doeren has to do is win the bowl to have matched all but one of Mullen's years seems like you're being ignorant about it on purpose.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 30, 2017

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Crotch Bat posted:

You know sometimes you come across as an rear end?

Edit: Nah I shouldn't have said that, but I will leave it since I posted it. Just my frustrations coming out. We all come across to others online what we are not (well maybe). So sorry.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 30, 2017

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

FreakyMetalKid posted:

Eh, he'll probably be good at recruiting at least.

This whole process has been bizarre. It's pretty clear that Anderson has had this planned for months. I'm surprised that the big money boosters are on board with this, the only people I've seen who think this is a good idea are Herm's coworkers at ESPN.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

nate fisher posted:

You know sometimes you come across as an rear end?

Edit: Nah I shouldn't of said that, but I will leave it since I posted it. Just my frustrations coming out. We all come across to others online what we are not (well maybe). So sorry.

Whoever you hire this year isn't going to last. All I ever said was that someone like Doeren could put UT back on the right path before you get rid of him and try to find the one who will take you back to the top of the mountain. I just don't see Doeren tanking UT, that's all I ever said, go back and read the post.

Your best hopes seem to be pinned on rolling the dice on some G5 guy which, poke poke, is how you got Butch Jones.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crotch Bat posted:

I don't know why you think MSU was in a much harder spot than dealing with top 5 Clemson and top 5 FSU each year. NCSU's not the flagship school of the state and has more limited resources than MSU. They finished 2nd in the Atlantic this year and have come just short of beating Clemson the past two years. Mullen's been at MSU for like 5 more years and it took him like 7 years to finally post a good team. This is just year 5 for Doeren and he hasn't done anything but improve each year.

I won't tell you Doeren's better than Mullen but Mullen isn't some crazy god coach either, he made a middling school above-average on occasion which is no different than what Doeren is doing at NCSU. Also mentioning their records and ignoring that all Doeren has to do is win the bowl to have matched all but one of Mullen's years seems like you're being ignorant about it on purpose.

As opposed to sharing a division with Alabama and LSU? MSU is a distant number two in a state where both teams are traditionally SEC bottom feeders. NC St had had recent relative success when Doeren got there (O’brien’s best team was actually better and they’d made a bowl 4 of the last 5 years). Mullen inherited a team coming off loving Slyvester Croom that hadn’t been good since midway through the Jackie Sherrill era, and even he bottomed out at the end and left them with sanctions.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Eh, he'll probably be good at recruiting at least.

This whole process has been bizarre. It's pretty clear that Anderson has had this planned for months. I'm surprised that the big money boosters are on board with this, the only people I've seen who think this is a good idea are Herm's coworkers at ESPN.

ASU doesn’t really have big money boosters that have a significant impact like other programs have, and even then it wouldn’t matter since the university president (Michael Crow) doesn’t give a poo poo what others think and has empowered Ray Anderson to do whatever.

Edit: For what it’s worth the fan/public backlash has been pretty decent locally here, it’s just that the administration doesn’t care.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crotch Bat posted:

Whoever you hire this year isn't going to last. All I ever said was that someone like Doeren could put UT back on the right path before you get rid of him and try to find the one who will take you back to the top of the mountain. I just don't see Doeren tanking UT, that's all I ever said, go back and read the post.

Your best hopes seem to be pinned on rolling the dice on some G5 guy which, poke poke, is how you got Butch Jones.

Butch failing does not mean they should never hire another G5 coach again, come on. It’s also poke poke, how Florida got Urban Meyer

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Ehud posted:

I hope Mullen stays at Florida for a couple of decades.

The coaching carousel seems sparser and more dangerous than ever before.

I think this is a consequence of the money explosion making ADs less likely to take chances on up and coming hires personally

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

MourningView posted:

As opposed to sharing a division with Alabama and LSU? MSU is a distant number two in a state where both teams are traditionally SEC bottom feeders. NC St had had recent relative success when Doeren got there (O’brien’s best team was actually better and they’d made a bowl 4 of the last 5 years). Mullen inherited a team coming off loving Slyvester Croom that hadn’t been good since midway through the Jackie Sherrill era, and even he bottomed out at the end and left them with sanctions.

I'd probably argue that FSU's been way better than LSU for the last 5 years and I'd probably also argue that MSU being better the last few years could also relate to LSU and Auburn being worse but :shrug:

Chuck Amato and TOB both coached NCSU basically when the Atlantic was a free-for-all each year. Only TOB saw Clemson come back to power and his teams dipped noticeably.

Like I said, I'm not arguing that Doeren is better, just similar.

MourningView posted:

Butch failing does not mean they should never hire another G5 coach again, come on. It’s also poke poke, how Florida got Urban Meyer

Urban Meyer was the biggest sure thing anyone's seen come from G5 in decades, it's why ND of all teams was trying to get him. I don't see an Urban Meyer in the G5 landscape this year and the closest is gone to Nebraska (I think?).

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 30, 2017

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
The whole "you've already done this type of hire and it didn't work!" is the current defense of Sanchez supporters at UNLV and it is awful.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

I will be very mad if Jimbo hires a good offensive line coach at TAMU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Mack Brown told an AZ radio station he’d love to talk to Anderson about ASU’s opening. I’d take Brown in a heartbeat over Herm Edwards.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I don't see why UT doesn't just tank the year. Outside of maybe Norvell I don't see who you hire that A)isn't gone in a few years and B)doesn't raise the ire of the fanbase. Firing Currie would gain a lot of goodwill from the fanbase and they'd then understand having an interim for a year. You get a kickass AD and let the guy spend all year looking at who to go after, make the same 6-7+ mil offer and get your guy.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

So...Kiffin to FSU?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I've been out of the loop for a few days and only kind of keeping up with the Florida side of things so let me just say

What the gently caress is going on any more

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crotch Bat posted:

I'd probably argue that FSU's been way better than LSU for the last 5 years and I'd probably also argue that MSU being better the last few years could also relate to LSU and Auburn being worse but :shrug:

One of his best seasons in terms of overall win loss was 2010, when the west had the national champion and 5 of the 6 teams finished in the AP Top 15

quote:

Urban Meyer was the biggest sure thing anyone's seen come from G5 in decades, it's why ND of all teams was trying to get him. I don't see an Urban Meyer in the G5 landscape this year and the closest is gone to Nebraska (I think?).

That was an intentionally extreme example obviously but plenty of G5 coaches have made the jump and done well and there are several good non-Frost candidates still on the board. You can find examples of failure for literally every conceivable type of hire, the answer to that is not “give up”

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

RumbleFish posted:

So...Kiffin to FSU?

Everything I've read points to Taggart. Jimbo better make up his mind before that option falls through.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

MourningView posted:

One of his best seasons in terms of overall win loss was 2010, when the west had the national champion and 5 of the 6 teams finished in the AP Top 15

That was an intentionally extreme example obviously but plenty of G5 coaches have made the jump and done well and there are several good non-Frost candidates still on the board. You can find examples of failure for literally every conceivable type of hire, the answer to that is not “give up”

I'd agree if the UT fanbase expectations aren't "beat Saban, win the SEC, also we're gonna need that national title sooner rather than later". The kind of expectations and requirements UT has almost demand a proven P5 coach. I never meant to suggest never hire G5 again but I think there's more of a crapshoot to it than someone who's already been successful on a higher level. There's nothing saying that guy would work either, obviously, but coupled with UT's extremely high demands (the fanbase as a whole not the handful here who are sane) it's asking a lot.

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

Crotch Bat posted:

I don't know why you think MSU was in a much harder spot than dealing with top 5 Clemson and top 5 FSU each year. NCSU's not the flagship school of the state and has more limited resources than MSU. They finished 2nd in the Atlantic this year and have come just short of beating Clemson the past two years. Mullen's been at MSU for like 5 more years and it took him like 7 years to finally post a good team (of his own). This is just year 5 for Doeren and he hasn't done anything but improve each year.

MSU isn’t the flagship school either - Ole Miss is. MSU is the poorest school in the poorest state in the SEC, and it’s less than 100 miles from Tuscaloosa. It’s also in a state with no major urban centers. For comparison VT and Clemson are both well over 200 miles from Raleigh. NCST also sits in a major urban area with several urban centers nearby.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/petethamel/status/936287369543766016

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

lol

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

:bisonyes:

will Tennessee have a coach by Christmas?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

wandler20 posted:

Everything I've read points to Taggart. Jimbo better make up his mind before that option falls through.

Yup

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
Where's IM DYING SQUIRTLE

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

MourningView posted:

I think Tennessee sees themselves as above anything but the "best" hire (i.e., the flashiest hire).

Look at Oklahoma with Bob Stoops, though: won a title in his second year after being a defensive coordinator at Florida and won an absolute shitload beyond that. Hiring a coach is weird, and hard, but some programs seem to hamstring themselves by having unrealistic standards without vetting the actual quality of the candidates.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

Lots of people doubted the HOME RUN nature of the Urban Meyer because :clint: We don't know if he can coach in the ESSEESEA :clint:.

He was definitely the best available (by far), but I remember there being lots of postulating on how he was a risky hire because of recruiting connections, never having coached in the South, etc.

I thought it was dumb at the time, but it has proven to be positively idiotic in hindsight.

Grittybeard posted:

I'm more terrified by Wannstedt by far, there was so much evidence already that was never going to work.

Also Saunders isn't a west coast offense guy, he's an Air Coryell guy. I'm sure it wouldn't have worked (especially in the short term with Nebraska's personnel at the time), but it's not like they were thinking of hiring Gruden--to bring this back to Tennessee.

Well poo poo, I've spent my entire life thinking he was one of Walsh's guys. I'm having a banner day here :doh:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

lmao what a shitshow

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/936288541033803776

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acelerion
May 3, 2005