Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

This is the leader of a Dem super pac. It's sad when the money men have firmer morals than the leadership.

https://twitter.com/guycecil/status/936273190300549121

God, it's so easy to be on the right side of this issue and yet here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

This is the leader of a Dem super pac. It's sad when the money men have firmer morals than the leadership.

https://twitter.com/guycecil/status/936273190300549121

the money men expect bang for their buck. they expect the policies they have spent money on advocating for to be successfully advocated, and issues preventing those policies from being accomplished to be dealt with.

they are, in a word, pragmatic.

meanwhile, the Democratic Party are, in a word, cowards.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

If only you could target your messaging so as to earnestly address the needs of the varying groups you need to vote for you.

Like, and to quote from that article again,

quote:

The focus on the sexual allegations against Mr. Moore has been frustrating to Catherine Flowers, an activist who said they were blotting out other issues important to African-Americans.

“I am concerned about the allegations,” said Ms. Flowers, founder of the Alabama Center for Rural Enterprise, an antipoverty group. “But I’m also concerned that neither candidate is talking about issues that everyday Alabamians are concerned about now. That people have got sewer water backing up into their homes. That we’ve had hookworm discovered along the Selma to Montgomery trail. Why do we have homeless veterans? There’s so many issues out there that aren’t being addressed.”

that hookworm thing? The sewage? loving talk about poo poo like that to the affected communities. That's an extremely small amount of tailoring that carries next to no risk and can pan out very well.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
WampaLord

I think Al Franken should resign or forced out and the quickly mounting evidence of his indiscretions is not suitable for public life. Your thoughts?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Take it to PM or something boon, nobody cares about your stupid slapfight

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Boon posted:

WampaLord

I think Al Franken should resign or forced out and the quickly mounting evidence of his indiscretions is not suitable for public life. Your thoughts?

Great, I'm glad we agree.

Boon posted:

I called you self-righteous because your entire schtick is posting from a sanctimonious pillar of moral superiority wherein any dissension of opinion, no matter how well reasoned, is met with quickly escalating posts of fury which end up in all caps.

I get passionate when I post, and attacking someone for "posting from a sanctimonious pillar of moral superiority" just seems like you're upset at your own moral failings and taking it out on me and various other "leftists" who make you feel bad.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

WampaLord posted:

Some poster was doing it earlier in this thread when he said that Pelosi had to defend Conyers because ~THE OPTICS~ of a white woman attacking a black man are bad.

Remember when saying that Pelosi really, really sucks at Democratic Party messaging was a controversial point here?

(like, last month)

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Boon posted:

WampaLord

I think should resign or forced out and the quickly mounting evidence of his indiscretions is not suitable for public life. Your thoughts?

Wampa was calling for his resignation when we only knew of the first accusation. What are you even trying to do here? I am glad you now agree with the obviously morally correct position, i hope the DNC leadership comes around as well.

Majorian posted:

Remember when saying that Pelosi really, really sucks at Democratic Party messaging was a controversial point here?

(like, last month)

I don't think people were disagreeing that she is bad at messaging. They were defending her against people calling for her to step down by saying she is an amazing whip. She has no business doing messaging of any kind however.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
We should really be talking about taxes because Republicans are about to set the stage for dismantling the federal government entirely.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Stereotype posted:

We should really be talking about taxes because Republicans are about to set the stage for dismantling the federal government entirely.

Jokes on them, without the federal government they have no power or money at all, comparatively.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Stereotype posted:

What's there to talk about besides doom and gloom? Republicans were always going to pass a tax bill. The entire health care black eye they put themselves through was from day one about freeing up more money for this tax bill.

The mega donors want it, it's going to happen.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

WampaLord posted:

I get passionate when I post, and attacking someone for "posting from a sanctimonious pillar of moral superiority" just seems like you're upset at your own moral failings and taking it out on me and various other "leftists" who make you feel bad.

We have always agreed, my man.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I don't think people were disagreeing that she is bad at messaging. They were defending her against people calling for her to step down by saying she is an amazing whip. She has no business doing messaging of any kind however.

I wish this were true, but if that was purely their argument, they wouldn't have been disagreeing with me. Because that's p. much what I was saying.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
There is one constant ray of light in a chaotic sea of darkness

https://mobile.twitter.com/colinwil...5116%23lastpost

The Freedom Caucus are loving idiots.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

They remind me of Gluttony from "Fullmetal Alchemist." Driven purely by instinct and a drive to eat their own.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

And yet, much like Obi-Wan Kenobi, they're our only hope.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Love to see a political system so dysfunctional that the main thing hampering the death cultists is their own true believer fanatics.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Cerebral Bore posted:

Love to see a political system so dysfunctional that the main thing hampering the death cultists is their own true believer fanatics.

The best part is that they don’t seem to realize that their end goal of “no taxes on anyone” is not feasible due to Senate reconciliation rules about long term deficits. So when the Senate gives them a bill that cuts taxes as much as possible, and probably a little more than is allowed, they still vote no because it isn’t ALL the taxes

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

9/10, didn't end post in all caps.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Chilichimp posted:

9/10, didn't end post in all caps.

Hahaha

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Stereotype posted:

The best part is that they don’t seem to realize that their end goal of “no taxes on anyone” is not feasible due to Senate reconciliation rules about long term deficits. So when the Senate gives them a bill that cuts taxes as much as possible, and probably a little more than is allowed, they still vote no because it isn’t ALL the taxes

Their end goal is staying elected, they do that by out-crazying all possible challengers. If they supported something concrete, they could be criticized by a future challenger for accepting a compromise. It's in their interest for everything to fail so long as they can maintain their purity by shouting NO to everything.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Their end goal is staying elected, they do that by out-crazying all possible challengers. If they supported something concrete, they could be criticized by a future challenger for accepting a compromise. It's in their interest for everything to fail so long as they can maintain their purity by shouting NO to everything.

This is largely true, but you also gotta throw in the fact that many of them are dumb enough to really believe the poo poo they're spouting.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Majorian posted:

This is largely true, but you also gotta throw in the fact that many of them are dumb enough to really believe the poo poo they're spouting.

Fair, but I think even those realize on a gut level that endless contrarianism is to their advantage. Viscerally if not rationally. They're elected politicians, they have instincts even if they don't have frontal lobes.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Fair, but I think even those realize on a gut level that endless contrarianism is to their advantage. Viscerally if not rationally. They're elected politicians, they have instincts even if they don't have frontal lobes.

Yeah, that's accurate IMO. They've stumbled into a paradigm that works, and by God, they're going to stick with it to the hilt.

Which, you know, credit where credit's due, is wise.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Evolution in action.

CassandraSupreme
Dec 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Mantis42 posted:

The Keillor news is devastating for the 80 year olds who actually listen to Prairie Home Companion.

This is the steroid scandal all over again. Anyone who ever listened to him knew he was a diddler. That was part of his appeal.

https://sports.theonion.com/barry-bonds-took-steroids-reports-everyone-who-has-eve-1819568339

I do like how every time we have a Republican President, we get to have a cutesy little social justice scandal. It's super hosed up and something that should have been dealt with years ago but now we're going to focus on that instead of putting the tax burden on those least able to pay it. Or care about sportsball instead of invading a foreign nation on faulty data.

Who cares man, look at the ball!

Look at the ball *fake throw*.

I still have the ball.

You want the ball?

You want the ball?

Sit.

Stay.

*fake throw*

Stupid loving dog.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
genuinely curious whose rereg this is, don't recognize the brand from one post

the self-important love with his own metaphors puts me in mind of the dearly departed paradol ex, but we live in a time when there's no shortage of people jerking themselves raw to their own despair

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Everyone knows its impossible to care about more than one thing at a time, and getting mad about sexual assault means we're all out of mad for yelling about the tax plan.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/ajjaffe/status/936430866464731136
Uh, I, well... I don’t think that’s quite how it works, in this particular situation.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Well, Jones did hire those Ossoff people, so a healthy amount of cluelessness is to be expected.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
https://imgur.com/a/PmSXl

What'd'ya make of these numbers?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Cerebral Bore posted:

Well, Jones did hire those Ossoff people, so a healthy amount of cluelessness is to be expected.

Yeah, Jones is running the exact same "let's not upset any white folks who might vote Democrat for the first time in 30 years" campaign and it's gonna go exactly as well.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Uglycat posted:

Edit: spent an extra second on it. A spike in some radiation metric? Dunno, that’s some choppy data. Maybe that elevated rate from last week in Europe making its way over here?

Doesn’t matter either way, it isn’t far outside the standard deviation and already decreased.

Also note that the mean value of one is the peak value of the other, so it really isn’t a worrying amount of whatever it is.

Stereotype fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Dec 1, 2017

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

The Democrats are going to lose to a literal pedophile. Wow

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Chomskyan posted:

The Democrats are going to lose to a literal pedophile. Wow

In Alabama, and the pedophile has a R next to his name.

The surprise thing here is that we ever thought Jones was going to win.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Jones might still pull it off even though he's got the bad dem bullshit hanging like a millstone around his neck, but that'd be because the GOP was horribly bad rather than the Dem effort being good. Basically the number one priority still is that the grifters and incompetents need to be purged.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Cerebral Bore posted:

Jones might still pull it off even though he's got the bad dem bullshit hanging like a millstone around his neck, but that'd be because the GOP was horribly bad rather than the Dem effort being good. Basically the number one priority still is that the grifters and incompetents need to be purged.

I agree with this, but I’d also like to point out that Jones is running on universal public healthcare and raising the minimum wage. In Alabama.

His problem is campaign strategy, not what he’s running on. There’s fundamental institutional problems with the way the party runs elections that are hurting more than what the party runs on, if not driving what the party runs on.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Uglycat posted:

Wasn't there just a release in Russia they didn't want to fess up to?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

I agree with this, but I’d also like to point out that Jones is running on universal public healthcare and raising the minimum wage. In Alabama.

His problem is campaign strategy, not what he’s running on. There’s fundamental institutional problems with the way the party runs elections that are hurting more than what the party runs on, if not driving what the party runs on.

I mean that stuff might technically be on Jones' website but as a dude living here, he's not running on it. His self-focused media is largely focused on loving guns, loving business, and loving Jesus. One of his radio ads I hear fairly often has a small bit about "a right to see a doctor when you're sick" but that's super loving vague and, again, a small portion of that particular ad that is dominated by the other things I mentioned. I can't remember hearing poo poo about the minimum wage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

I mean that stuff might technically be on Jones' website but as a dude living here, he's not running on it. His self-focused media is largely focused on loving guns, loving business, and loving Jesus. One of his radio ads I hear fairly often has a small bit about "a right to see a doctor when you're sick" but that's super loving vague and, again, a small portion of that particular ad that is dominated by the other things I mentioned. I can't remember hearing poo poo about the minimum wage.

Yea, this is the fundamental problem behind every argument about how the 2016 Dem platform was the most leftist platform in history. If you ignore the platform when you're running, no one's going to hear the message.

• Locked thread