Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I was trying to gunfight my way through the game like a cover shooter and I guess you can't really play it that way. I will just shelf it for now for something else before I get too frustrated and give up on it.

It's definitely not a cover shooter. You're supposed to either carefully stealth away from combat or pick your enemies one by one, or in small groups, with the tools at your disposal. Stealth kills(With shivs if you're in a hurry), bricking, molotovs for armored people, bombs to lure unaware groups, guns and straight out shooting for last resorts. Also, move around a lot, enemies aren't psychics who always know where you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah, you're supposed to wander around and strangle people to death from behind for the most part, it's not Army of Two or something.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

exquisite tea posted:

I think Dishonored 2 is cool but I'm also mad at myself for screwing everything up. Like every encounter begins with me meticulously planning out how I will use Domino to link guards together and force pull them all into a dumpster to neatly hide the bodies without getting my hands dirty and ends with me frantically waving my sword around killing everyone because I messed it all up.

I don't trust anyone who is able to make an elaborate stealth-based plan and execute it coompletely without something going wrong, being spotted by someone facing the wrong way on the other side of a wall, accidentally alerting everyone because you thought you'd equipped a silent weapon... Or you just decided you couldn't pass up an opportunity to launch someone fifty feet off a balcony into some kind of target or goal.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I had much more fun with Dishonored 1 when I stopped caring about a perfect run. For me the frustration of failure was heightened by there ostensibly being a (morally) correct run. Even if the chaos system isn't that impactful, it lingered at the back of my mind goading me about playing it wrong. Had a much better time after getting over that hump.

I understand that this isn't how everybody responded.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rinkles posted:

I had much more fun with Dishonored 1 when I stopped caring about a perfect run. For me the frustration of failure was heightened by there ostensibly being a (morally) correct run. Even if the chaos system isn't that impactful, it lingered at the back of my mind goading me about playing it wrong. Had a much better time after getting over that hump.

I understand that this isn't how everybody responded.

Yeah I played stealthily until I got spotted and then went all out as much as I could. Same with MGSV, I like when stealth games give you that option

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You don't have to be even close to perfect to stay in low chaos, it transitions to high chaos at about 20% of total guards killed and mission targets count for more so doing nonlethal objectives also helps. You can also escape very easily so just because you get seen doesn't mean you have to kill everyone. It is definitely a lot more fun if you don't reload all the time.

Dishonored 2 makes going for low chaos so much better, since it no longer feels like playing half of a game due to all the new nonlethal options and the new powers all having value for stealth and/or low chaos. So if you get seen you don't have to run away or use tranq bolts. In dishonored 1, windblast has no stealth value, possession has no combat value, and neither rat swarm nor adrenaline have nonlethal value

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Digirat posted:

You don't have to be even close to perfect to stay in low chaos, it transitions to high chaos at about 20% of total guards killed and mission targets count for more so doing nonlethal objectives also helps. You can also escape very easily so just because you get seen doesn't mean you have to kill everyone. It is definitely a lot more fun if you don't reload all the time.

I think you understand, but the technical details aren't what matters. It's the pressure to play it "properly". Similar to the Hellblade freakout, where the perma system intimidated some people to the point of not playing (and that's an example of using the effect in an interesting way).

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Did that permadeath system actually exist?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

No

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

That's my point.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Yeah Rinkles. It was cool in that game where you acted a certain way because you believed things that weren't true. Pretty meta-thematic.

For Dishonored it took me a long time to just let go of ghosting it. I wish it wasn't a checkmark after the level because that makes me feel like I 'should' be working towards that. and not a clever murder-bad-people-interestingly simulator.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bombadilillo posted:

Did that permadeath system actually exist?

There's nothing technically untrue about that "permadeath" message in the story, it just doesn't mean what people think it means.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

There's nothing technically untrue about that "permadeath" message in the story, it just doesn't mean what people think it means.

I didn't really read much about it because I was excited for the game and didn't want to be spoiled. After the game I didn't hear much about it, and didn't think of it after I guess.

That said. What a loving cool game for $30. Hit it out of the park. I hope it did well financially.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Fun fact, that isn't just a Final Fantasy thing, 'W' is a straight up ideogram for 'double' in Japan, be it referring to Kamen Riders or burgers

Makes sense. It's English that's the weird one. Not even giving W a unique name but just calling it a Double U.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

Makes sense. It's English that's the weird one. Not even giving W a unique name but just calling it a Double U.

Spanish less weird, calls it the 'Double V'. Because Spanish sees better then English I guess.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bombadilillo posted:

I didn't really read much about it because I was excited for the game and didn't want to be spoiled. After the game I didn't hear much about it, and didn't think of it after I guess.

That said. What a loving cool game for $30. Hit it out of the park. I hope it did well financially.

According to Ninja Theory it's sold over 500k copies between PS4 and PC and made back its budget in three months, when they were expecting to only start seeing profit after eight months. It's also up for a bunch of year-end awards and GOTY shortlists, which should help raise its profile more for whatever that's worth. I'm glad it did well not just for the sake of playing a good game but because this is exactly the kind of project that a standard AAA publisher would never greenlight.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Samurai Sanders posted:

Japan's PS+ free play games for December are Akiba's Beat, Garou MOTW, and...Knack.

How do I switch my PS Plus to a different region

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Rinkles posted:

I think you understand, but the technical details aren't what matters. It's the pressure to play it "properly". Similar to the Hellblade freakout, where the perma system intimidated some people to the point of not playing (and that's an example of using the effect in an interesting way).

Yeah it's definitely lame that chaos ends up tied to the way you play a game that is so open ended, since if you want to see different content then you have to play very differently than how you maybe want to. Chaos is a very clever idea since a lot of games that give the player broad freedom in what to do can have some pretty bad tonal inconsistency if the player doesn't do things that fit the tone of the story/setting. So on the one hand it's pretty cool that dishonored changes the tone of the whole game to tell a darker story if what's actually happening on the screen all the time is a bunch of people getting dismembered. On the other hand it kinda pressures you to stick to one side of the fence and intrudes on the gameplay because you're reminded of it at every turn, and low chaos favors a much more narrow range of playstyles while also requiring way more conscious effort. I think it's an execution problem and there's probably a way to make it work without putting psychological pressure on you

If it really gets to you then you should try death of the outsider, where there is no chaos. Another (unrelated) psychological burden it removes is magic, where there's no magic potions but your whole magic bar recharges instead. I love that. In dishonored 1 and 2 I had an irrational aversion to ever using an amount of magic that would need a potion to get back, even if I had 9 magic potions and was tripping over new ones.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hellblade looks cool

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Hellblade has a one or two nasty bugs, but is otherwise pretty cool. I'd play a sequel.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bombadilillo posted:

Spanish less weird, calls it the 'Double V'. Because Spanish sees better then English I guess.

Depends on how it's written, I suppose.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
I'm a couple of hours in Prey and it's really good but there are two things I'm wondering:

1- Is there anything specific I should be doing when trying to spot Mimics? When I enter a room I can hear their 'tinkering' sounds, but looking around I see nothing out of ordinary. I expected the objects would shiver or be faulty - which they may be, but I still haven't noticed - but so far all I'm getting are surprise attacks. They're not troubling me much, there's plenty of food around but still.

2- When checking a security terminal, I get a sidequest to find missing personal but I can only have one active at a time. Am I really expected to find someone, go back to the terminal, activate another quest and go searching again? Cause that would be terrible.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Samuringa posted:

I'm a couple of hours in Prey and it's really good but there are two things I'm wondering:

1- Is there anything specific I should be doing when trying to spot Mimics? When I enter a room I can hear their 'tinkering' sounds, but looking around I see nothing out of ordinary. I expected the objects would shiver or be faulty - which they may be, but I still haven't noticed - but so far all I'm getting are surprise attacks. They're not troubling me much, there's plenty of food around but still.

2- When checking a security terminal, I get a sidequest to find missing personal but I can only have one active at a time. Am I really expected to find someone, go back to the terminal, activate another quest and go searching again? Cause that would be terrible.

1. You'll get a tool (and a chip) later that can help. Otherwise, pay attention to out of place objects and the Typhon sounds.

2. Yes, unfortunately.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Your scope can be upgraded to show mimics

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Don't bother with finding people unless you need them for a specific quests. If you really want to for the trophy or something wait until near the end of the game because you'll find 70% of them exploring naturally then you can find the rest easier using the security terminal.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Just bash everything, it's the only way to be sure

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Prey (2017)

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Battlefield 1 is rapidly approaching my "might as well" price, is it any good? I really liked BF3/4 and BC2, and it seems like the level of weapon technology would make it more like BC2 in general.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

battlefield one is about as far as you can get from bad company while staying in the same series

maybe you'll like it if you liked 4. I hated that game the beta for bf1 just felt like that but with the average new dice game level of brokenness

e: tho really idk what you mean by the weapon technology thing anyway. bad company was modern military in the same way 3/4 were and those games all shared a lot of guns

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 30, 2017

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Sakurazuka posted:

Don't bother with finding people unless you need them for a specific quests. If you really want to for the trophy or something wait until near the end of the game because you'll find 70% of them exploring naturally then you can find the rest easier using the security terminal.

Oh, good! I don't really care about trophies, but I was a bit overwhelmed at my options when I reached the Lobby and was wondering how much of that was missable.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Samuringa posted:

Oh, good! I don't really care about trophies, but I was a bit overwhelmed at my options when I reached the Lobby and was wondering how much of that was missable.

Pretty sure none of the people are missable per se, but keep in mind that if they get caught in the range of a recycler grenade, they're gone for good whether you've found them or not

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How do I switch my PS Plus to a different region
It’s not a matter of “switching”, just having a Japanese account and with its own PS+ subscription (paid for in yen) on your PS4. Then you can use PS+ stuff from both regions.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Inspector Hound posted:

Battlefield 1 is rapidly approaching my "might as well" price, is it any good? I really liked BF3/4 and BC2, and it seems like the level of weapon technology would make it more like BC2 in general.

Battlefield 1 surprised me. I didn't get it on PC when it came out because I wasn't impressed initially by the WWI setting but then I gave it a go and now I'm loving it. Lots of weapons are wonky WWI "experiments" that look odd but most of them are fun to use. My only negative points are how class kits are distributed: engineers got broken into two classes, assault (keeping the anti tank stuff) and support (got the repair tool). It lacks the weapon flexibility you had in BC2/3/4 as in SMGs and shotguns are only for assault class, medics only have semi auto rifles (cept one ancient assault rifle) and support only has LMGs, you can't play a shotgun support or DMR engineer anymore. gently caress scouts, I'm not going to talk about them.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Boxing Day has the same sort of sales as Black Friday? I missed some titles when they were on sale. I'm talking physical releases cause I'm still lame like that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
So in the last few days someone on Reset Era leaked a bunch of stuff about DMC5 and if the leak is true then its a PS4 timed exclusive and then it will go to PC.

My body is ready

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

PSX has had every major reveal spoiled ahead of time, hasn't it?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rinkles posted:

PSX has had every major reveal spoiled ahead of time, hasn't it?

Only in that capcom leaks like no other publisher and they love using psx for reveals

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its a joke but its very true that if you hear a capcom rumor its always true cause their employees cant shut up

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Capcom wringing more money out of Street fighter is more of a pattern recognition thing than a rumor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Samuringa posted:

For a while you just need to pay attention and talk to yourself throughout the game as you question everything. 'A trashcan just rolled down the stairs and it wasn't a mimic. I'm gonna put some dents into any of them I see in the next twenty seconds.' 'Why does that desk have seven clipboards on it?' 'The hell happened in this bathroom that warrants three wet floor signs?'

Eventually you get a thing that lets you suss em out way easier so you've just gotta power through like you're fighting Chozo Ghosts in Metroid Prime without the X-Ray Visor.