Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

I never realized how badly I wanted Lego Gundam games until I saw this image.

https://twitter.com/Jan_utyo/status/766229977255727104

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Midjack posted:

Lalah was always on his case about not wearing it and he started wearing it more after she died.

Yeah he goes from "who needs a normal suit no one can touch me" to Lalah telling him to put it on because she's worried and her dying to save him completely shatters his confidence. 0079 is good.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

It’s not that - Lalah tells him to wear his suit because she wants him safe. It’s one of the bigger indicators that he sincerely cares for her on some level.

You think Char would be less confident as Amuro got the upper hand on him in Jaburo and in the texas colony, but the guy's ego is just that big.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

You think Char would be less confident as Amuro got the upper hand on him in Jaburo and in the texas colony, but the guy's ego is just that big.

It's not just ego. Char's pretty interesting in that he's kind of suicidal. Other stuff clarifies it a bit but Char doesn't really expect to survive his Zabi-killing rampage. He's not planning for the future except insomuch as it involves a whole fuckload of dead Zabis. It's part of why Lalah is important to him because she actually gives him a goal and motivation that isn't killing and/or dying and it's why his eventual ending (prior to Zeta/the movies mildly retconning it) is him murder-suicide Kycillia after telling Sayla to leave because he can't escape the cycle and she can.

A lot of Char's characterization and choices needs to be read in the context that Char kind of wants to die, but he isn't willing to kill himself. In Original he throws himself into his kill-everything scheme, in Zeta he sort of meanders around struggling to find a goal, and by CCA he's back to going "Fine, gently caress you all, I'm going to do what I want until someone stops me" but his fixation has shifted from the Zabis to the Federation and Amuro.

Lalah wasn't important to him just because he was in love with her, she was important to him because she was a literal lifeline to him becoming someone else. "She could have been a mother to me" is a weird line but really informs that Char viewed her as the path to a new life and then he lost that and was left with nothing but his worst impulses.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 27, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darkman Fanpage posted:

So a friend of mine showed me the newest gundam that was in a one-shot manga. I can’t find the libk for it now but does anybody else know anything about this? What are the latest plans for the next series?

Do you mean Gundam Walpurgis, or Moon Gundam?

As for the next Gundam series, they haven't announced anything. The last episode of Battlogue comes out soon, I wouldn't be surprised to see an announcement of a third season of Build Fighters there. But that's just my guess

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Looking into it I think it's Moon Gundam which happens to take place in UC.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah, that's the new one. Looks to be set between ZZ and CCA.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I saw Gundam Thunderbolt: Bandit Flower at Anime NYC last week and it was really badass! The big twist at the end is fuckin' buckwild and the soundtrack is killer.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is it the same twist that was in the season, or is it a new twist with film only footage?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It's been a little bit but I don't really remember a twist at the end of thunderbolt season 2

Maybe I need to rewatch it

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ninjewtsu posted:

It's been a little bit but I don't really remember a twist at the end of thunderbolt season 2

Maybe I need to rewatch it

The lady Federation captain is still alive and working with the cult nation

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Oh lol

Thanks friend

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

The lady Federation captain is still alive and working with the cult nation

Also, the South Sea Alliance isn’t just a cult, but a Newtype cult using the Psycho Zaku as a telepathic amplifier.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So pretty much nothing new from the OVA, then. Because that ain't a spoiler for anyone who watched it on Youtube months ago.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

So pretty much nothing new from the OVA, then. Because that ain't a spoiler for anyone who watched it on Youtube months ago.

Yeah, but given how Thunderbolt has been released so far, I wouldn’t blame anyone for ignoring the OVAs and making the movies their first experience of the story.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd generally agree, though I felt the ova of the first season ended better than the tacked on A Baoa Qu segment in December Sky. It's a lot more ominous leaving things on Io's last threat and fading to black than to immediately cut to a chaotic battle. Should have kept that for season 2 only instead of the preview that the segment felt like

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, but given how Thunderbolt has been released so far, I wouldn’t blame anyone for ignoring the OVAs and making the movies their first experience of the story.

I'm in exactly this camp.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Also I'd rather watch it on gundaminfo than pay crazy import fees for a bluray. I like my robits but I'm cheap about it.
I am curious how they did Bandit Flower though, given that they were longer episodes than December Sky which, despite my misgivings about the ending, did seem intentionally designed to be compiled into one long sequence.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Nov 28, 2017

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'd argue that Zeta Gundam has some of this going on in it.

Zeta has lots of mass murder via chemical warfare yeah. The playground scene from Colony 30 shouldn't be in a kids show.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Chugging through Gundam X and don't forget it has a newtype albino dolphin yall

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/240eukrante/status/935715173146546177

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Chugging through Gundam X and don't forget it has a newtype albino dolphin yall

I've never seen it and now I want to for newtype dolphins. Well the dolphins and the fact that I really like the 1st opening song and have heard it a bunch despite never watching an episode.

Tulalip Tulips fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 1, 2017

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I've never seen it and now I want to for newtype dolphins. Well the dolphins and the fact that I really like the 1st opening song and have heard it a bunch despite never watching an episode.

Halfway through and I could not in good conscience recommend it.

Everything about it feels like a cheap knockoff.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Halfway through and I could not in good conscience recommend it.

Everything about it feels like a cheap knockoff.

I am a completest at heart and by god 2018 will be the year I finally watch the Gundams I haven't seen. The main Gundam in X looks pretty neat and my taste in Gundam can be questionable. I legitimately liked Nina in 0083 for years and there's no real coming back from that.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

These are really good!

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I am a completest at heart and by god 2018 will be the year I finally watch the Gundams I haven't seen. The main Gundam in X looks pretty neat and my taste in Gundam can be questionable. I legitimately liked Nina in 0083 for years and there's no real coming back from that.

Well 0083 is great so its fine to be into a blonde leggy lady (just hope you learned to eat your carrots).

All of the designs in X feel like they were the concept art for Wing. It is not even close to the worst Gundam I've watched, but its not good Gundam either.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

All of the designs in X feel like they were the concept art for Wing. It is not even close to the worst Gundam I've watched, but its not good Gundam either.

This is an odd reaction considering almost all of them are clearly intended to be based off of 0079 designs, in keeping with how the backstory is a worst case what-if scenario for the one-year war.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

hah

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

I want more.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
X has a good start, a slow boring middle and a good ending.

Edit: and a good soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j3dZM5aff0

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

X has a good start, a slow boring middle and a good ending.

Edit: and a good soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j3dZM5aff0

I have problems with X's ending, specifically how it handles newtypes.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Droyer posted:

This is an odd reaction considering almost all of them are clearly intended to be based off of 0079 designs, in keeping with how the backstory is a worst case what-if scenario for the one-year war.

The grunts do, but I can see how the Gundams have a kind of Wing-like bit going on. Where UC main suit designs generally feel like "The grunts, but moreso", and the grunts get pretty weird, the grunts in X and Wing feel much more Real Robot than the Gundams, which have their fancy themes and astounding unique powers.

Plus, the X designs just aren't as good as the UC stuff they're based on.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

The grunts do, but I can see how the Gundams have a kind of Wing-like bit going on. Where UC main suit designs generally feel like "The grunts, but moreso", and the grunts get pretty weird, the grunts in X and Wing feel much more Real Robot than the Gundams, which have their fancy themes and astounding unique powers.

Plus, the X designs just aren't as good as the UC stuff they're based on.

Yeah now I think about it the satelight cannon is basically just Buster Rifle: but more so.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

X has a good start
I like how initially Jamil is framed like he might be kind of a fool for buying into Garrod's bluff about using the Gundam's "secret weapon" or whatever (From Garrod's perspective, its clearly just some BS he's making up), though once you find out about the Satellite Cannon and what it can do Jamil suddenly doesn't look so foolish anymore.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Droyer posted:

Yeah now I think about it the satelight cannon is basically just Buster Rifle: but more so.

Leopard is alt Heavyarms too. The Airmaster feels a bit like Wing with the focus on aerial combat and transformation.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Droyer posted:

I have problems with X's ending, specifically how it handles newtypes.

That's what makes it good!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's what makes it good!

Saying nothing of value makes it good?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I actually rewatched Wing soley to catch up with the 90s Gundams so I could watch X, which I knew was sorta the black sheep...but it really can't maintain my attention, it's really boring. I'm sure it picks up when they realise they're not getting the full 4 cours, but maaaaan it feels soulless, doesn't have it's own thing, and the artstyle feels sloppy.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The song that plays during X eyecatches is so loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Droyer posted:

Saying nothing of value makes it good?

Hahaha, funny. But no, clearly I disagree with the value of what is said.

Monaghan posted:

The song that plays during X eyecatches is so loving good.

Yes. Yes it is.