Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

yes..... YES!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

this is the single most TFF thing I think I've ever seen

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
https://twitter.com/JaredLorenzen22/status/936349447373631488

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Why is the state Kentu....oh

Honestly I'd buy an orange shirt that looked like that with Tennessee on it

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Thanks to this post, I now know about Lorenzen's latest venture

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Needs Gundy holding one of these:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

why would you leave FSU for loving Texas A&M

More money.

curried lamb of God posted:

if A&M whiffs on Jimbo, I'd rather see them take a shot at one of those guys instead of Chad Morris, who is basically Houston-era Sumlin with a slightly worse resume
Morris atm has more than a "slightly worse" resume than Houston era Sumlin. This is his best season and if the last call of the Tulane game was made correctly, it would be a 6-6 season.

LOL

DJExile posted:

Still at Liberty! 3 straight 6 win seasons! :confuoot:
Maybe next year the team will be allowed to watch R rated movies.

They should do it.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

you never beat the vols fat boy

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

you never beat the vols fat boy

He's wearing them out right now

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I will be immensely disappointed if the Vols don't hire Les.

This seems like it should have been the obvious choice from day 1 though and they've hosed it up at every turn so I have no doubt they'll continue to gently caress this up until we have another Dooley except it'll be the 20th choice instead of the 2nd or 3rd as a bad idea.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Les is 64 and his last three years are pretty much identical to the seasons that got Butch on the hot seat.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

why would gus Malzahn want to go to arkansas

as goofy an idea as Gundy to Tennessee imo

stringing them along so that the auburn board + boosters will throw more money at him, I suppose

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Randaconda posted:

Does he understand how public universities work

these distinctions probably blurred to Jimmy once his brother became governor

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

MourningView posted:

Les is 64 and his last three years are pretty much identical to the seasons that got Butch on the hot seat.

Huh? Les Miles, even his last few seasons, has as good or better of a record as the 3 people Tennessee has already offered the job to.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

MourningView posted:

tenenesee gonna be willing to kill to have 3 more years of butch jones after this carousel.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mahoning posted:

Huh? Les Miles, even his last few seasons, has as good or better of a record as the 3 people Tennessee has already offered the job to.

He went 9-3 and 8-5 in his last two years and then was on pace for a lot worse before they fired him. All with insanely loaded teams in terms of star rating and draft picks. They were ready to fire butch after two 9 win seasons. Also Gundy and Brohm both have 10+ win seasons in that period. Doeren is worse I guess but no one liked that idea

MourningView fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 1, 2017

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

convert tennessee foot ball team into a syndical arrangement managed by a rotating committee of players

no gods no masters

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

MourningView posted:

He went 9-3 and 8-5 in his last two years and then was on pace for a lot worse before they fired him. They were ready to fire butch after two 9 win seasons

And the guys they already offered the job to have had worse or much worse seasons recently, he would be the best candidate they’ve offered so far.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mahoning posted:

And the guys they already offered the job to have had worse or much worse seasons recently, he would be the best candidate they’ve offered so far.

Gundy hasn’t and Brohm has only if you want to pretend winning at Purdue is somehow the same as winning at LSU. Also “guys they have offered” does not encompass the entire field of available coaches so who cares? Being better than Dave Doeren or Schiano doesn’t make you the best candidate on the market

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

MourningView posted:

Gundy hasn’t and Brohm has only if you want to pretend winning at Purdue is somehow the same as winning at LSU. Also “guys they have offered” does not encompass the entire field of available coaches so who cares? Being better than Dave Doeren or Schiano doesn’t make you the best candidate on the market

Gundy went 7-6 the same year that Les Miles went 8-5.

You’re really reaching here with your “yeah buts”.

And he’s not the best coach available. But he’s probably the best coach that actually wants the job, and that’s all that matters.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mahoning posted:

Gundy went 7-6 the same year that Les Miles went 8-5.

You’re really reaching here with your “yeah buts”.

And he’s not the best coach available. But he’s probably the best coach that actually wants the job, and that’s all that matters.

He followed that with two 10 win seasons. If you think Les was about to do that then I guess ok but he sure seemed to be going the wrong way.

How do you know he’s the best that wants it? There are a ton of good coordinator or G5 candidates that would most likely consider it that they don’t seem to have bothered offering.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 1, 2017

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

Say what you want about Les—and believe me I have—but the guy can recruit, develop NFL-ready players, and win in the SEC.

Les has literally never worked with an even mildly competent OC. And that's his fault. But I don't think he's too old to adapt on that side, especially after the rude awakening of unemployment over the past year.

He wouldn't be my first choice if I were Tennessee, but I'd sure as poo poo take him before everyone who's been bandied about so far other than Gundy or Brohm. Perhaps most importantly if you're the athletic department, the Vol fanbase might actually be psyched about the choice.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He didn’t make changes even after a year where he knew he was almost fired are you sure he’d do it now?

I won’t dispute he was once a good coach. Lots of coaches get worse when they get older and the game starts to change. I’d rather have someone on the way up who seems to understand the modern college game better.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Yeah, I like Les and think there are places he'd be fine. Tennessee is prolly not one of them.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
fire holgorsen and hire les make west virginia football great again

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
For what it's worth I would've been happy with Les at Arizona had Richrod not coached himself off the hotseat.

Ehud posted:

lol you just wasted 5 mins of my life as I sorted that list be each passing metric to get and understand what you were talking about

Hahah, sorry, I'm not read good.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Asproigerosis posted:

fire holgorsen and hire les make west virginia football great again

we're extremely not the program to hire les miles

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

we're extremely not the program to hire les miles

Quite frankly I don't know how we've managed to keep holgorsen around this long

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Asproigerosis posted:

Quite frankly I don't know how we've managed to keep holgorsen around this long

we pay him pretty well. his current deal is like 3.5 and goes up to 4.2 by the end of it.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

we pay him like 4.2m a year dude

yeah, but... morgantown

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
There are so many good coordinators or lower level coaches deserving of a chance to move up, you don’t have to limit your search to current or recently fired P5 coaches. The two coaches in the SEC title game came from a coordinator job and Arkansas St. Neither of Oklahoma’s most recent hires were former head coaches and yet they are good every year.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 1, 2017

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Asproigerosis posted:

yeah, but... morgantown

i think he generally likes it here

MourningView posted:

There are so many good coordinators or lower level coaches deserving of a chance to move up, you don’t have to limit your search to current or recently fired P5 coaches. The two coaches in the SEC title game cans from a coordinator job and Arkansas St. Neither of Oklahoma’s most recent hires were former head coaches and yet they are good every year.

i think this is a thing people need to really learn. like thats been a problem in the nfl for a long time of just hiring retreads

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I'd like it too if WVU medicine would offer me more than a 25% paycut to move back :(

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Gotta say this carousel really makes me happy that our long-time, very good head coach lined up a promising young guy as his successor and then just handed things off.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

PupsOfWar posted:

why would gus Malzahn want to go to arkansas

as goofy an idea as Gundy to Tennessee imo

stringing them along so that the auburn board + boosters will throw more money at him, I suppose

I don't think Gus will go to Arkansas, but the concept isnt ridiculous. The dude is from here. Arkansas isn't a dream job for most but Razorbacks are the only game in town for people that live in this state, much less grew up here.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
give me the mad hatter you incompetent gently caress currie

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

MourningView posted:

There are so many good coordinators or lower level coaches deserving of a chance to move up, you don’t have to limit your search to current or recently fired P5 coaches. The two coaches in the SEC title game cans from a coordinator job and Arkansas St. Neither of Oklahoma’s most recent hires were former head coaches and yet they are good every year.

Yeah but it's Tennessee, in the ESS EE SEE

It just means more

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy

tactlessbastard posted:

I don't think Gus will go to Arkansas, but the concept isnt ridiculous. The dude is from here. Arkansas isn't a dream job for most but Razorbacks are the only game in town for people that live in this state, much less grew up here.

Yeah, there certainly exists a hypothetical universe in which it happens, but the odds of that universe and this universe aligning are...not great. I've been less and less interested in football the past few years, though, so really I'd just like something entertaining. Gus, Kiffin, Leach, or I suppose Norvell? I'd even throw Les there in most situations, but I don't think the fan base at large would be too keen at welcoming Mr. "Ar-Kansas". Arkansas isn't going to out-talent most teams, so they typically have to out-scheme them. But at least be fun to watch.

I wish the never-punt coach was more viable, I really want to see that be a thing, and absolutely wouldn't mind it being Arkansas. It's either awesome and hilarious, or just hilarious, but it's still going to be entertaining.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

FakePoet posted:

Yeah, there certainly exists a hypothetical universe in which it happens, but the odds of that universe and this universe aligning are...not great. I've been less and less interested in football the past few years, though

Same. John L. and Bert murdered my enjoyment. I just quibble with the idea that Gus to Fayetteville is wild fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Has Tennessee looked at Frank Wilson? He was the recruiting coordinator for LSU and has brought in a bunch of talent to UTSA already.

Even Satterfield from App State would be an interesting guy to target. Young and seems at the forefront of what's happening with college offenses today. His offense almost beat Tennessee a couple years ago.

• Locked thread