Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's all true. My brother, who's a legit musician, loved Dunkirk's soundtrack and would go into details about how it worked using a style that made it basically a giant crescendo throughout the entire movie.

The soundtrack for that space Matthew Macconaughy movie OTOH is the worst most intrusive soundtrack I can remember. Pages of dialogue just subsumed under that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Good CG looks good and bad CG looks bad. Similarly, good practical effects look good and bad practical effects look bad.

Movies that take time to make their CG worth it, like the Planet of the Apes movies, don't really ever have "god, that CG is terrible" moments. Movies that just phone it in, like Thor 2 and Justice League, have real obvious and bad CG all over the place.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 30, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

good, but needs more pretentious quasi-academic jargon

Yeah that's a comic book store DC uber fan, a very different type.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Good CG looks good and bad CG looks bad. Similarly, good practical effects look good and bad practical effects look bad.

Movies that take time to make their CG worth it, like the Planet of the Apes movies, don't really ever have "god, that CG is terrible moments." Movies that just phone it in, like Thor 2 and Justice League, have real obvious and bad CG all over the place.

This is tautological, though. You have to account for, e.g. how (not for want of trying) Interstellar's extremely scientific black hole will never be as effective as 2001's trippy made-up one.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Was that a black hole in 2001?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Crows Turn Off posted:

Movies that take time to make their CG worth it, like the Planet of the Apes movies, don't really ever have "god, that CG is terrible moments." Movies that just phone it in, like Thor 2 and Justice League, have real obvious and bad CG all over the place.

Yea it's not an excuse to say that CGI just feels more fake because it's not actually there, when we know that when the time and effort is put in you get stuff like Planet of the Apes. Not that those film's effects won't ever age or feel dated, but you don't have that sense as you're watching them that some of the shots are great and some are lackluster(like basically every superhero film).

But sacrifices have to be made. There will probably never be a Planet of the Apes movie starring Scarlett Johansson. It takes longer to do the effects properly, and so you can't crank out a new one every single year. Studios for the most part don't want to make those sacrifices because we've shown them that we'll continue to pack theatres for these franchises despite subpar technical work.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Apparently it's Javier Botet mo-cap, which explains the strange vibe I got from it, jerky and stop-motiony.

Good mo Cap but it needed like a few more months of renders to get it right. Same with the Neomorph for a few shots.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

josh04 posted:

I'm not saying "who cares" at all. I'm saying that what's being picked up on isn't a lack of verisimilitude. The effects in Thor are not trying to be realistic, AND they're largely succeeding at what effect they are aiming for instead, AND EVEN THEN the sequences are uninspiring. If I had to put a label on where I thought the fault was I'd agree with everyone else that it's uninspired direction.

Then I misunderstood your point, sorry! By verisimilitude I meant something you take as much for granted as the invented landscapes in Bladerunner and I agree the Marvel movies don't want to be engrossing in that way for anyone over the age of 10---they prefer the safety of ironic distance etc.

Shageletic posted:

The soundtrack for that space Matthew Macconaughy movie OTOH is the worst most intrusive soundtrack I can remember. Pages of dialogue just subsumed under that thing.

Nah, it's a great soundtrack and the dialogue really isn't worth hearing

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 30, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Both things are true, Interstellar's soundtrack is fantastic, but also sometimes the mixing seems off and it covers up important dialogue.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Shageletic posted:

Allegedly it ended up that way because Nolan is losing his hearing.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Allegedly it ended up that way because Nolan is losing his hearing.

Thought that was a Michael Mann story about blackhat?

Could be both guys though. I definitely have to keep the remote nearby if I'm watching Interstellar.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I wish I could hear less of the dialog in Interstellar.

NothingMatters
Nov 17, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
It really helped that Planet of the Apes has a good script and characterization very few superhero movies have been able to touch it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The music swelling as the realization hits that a gigantic wave is coming on the water planet is really good. That whole segment is the best part of the movie.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The first two movies are really good but while War does have an absolutely baller 60's-inspired soundtrack the third act is so weak it virtually derails the whole movie

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

The first two movies are really good but while War does have an absolutely baller 60's-inspired soundtrack the third act is so weak it virtually derails the whole movie

I really liked War, but yes, it's the weakest of the three. The third act is just way too long and turning it into a The Great Escape movie at that point seems excessive. I was happy with western/revenge picture pastiche they had going.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Then I misunderstood your point, sorry! By verisimilitude I meant something you take as much for granted as the invented landscapes in Bladerunner and I agree the Marvel movies don't want to be engrossing in that way for anyone over the age of 10---they prefer the safety of ironic distance etc.

It's a fairly slight point that I was posting while walking back from the station, I probably could have been clearer.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I really don't think Cap will lift mjolnir, and I don't think anyone will ever say Avengers Assemble. The MCU tends to seemingly go out of the way even, sometimes, to avoid repeating iconic moments from the comics. Like no "Ultron, we would have words with thee", or in the Cap vs Iron Man fight Cap flat out wins. They tease "Avengers Assemble" and don't do it, they tease clanging mjolnir against the shield and don't do it. They show Thanos' armor and then get rid of it. On some level I think they think these moments are too corny and have decided not to do them.

NothingMatters
Nov 17, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

It's actually my favorite.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I maintain that Thanos will probably put on his armor and helmet at a suitably dramatic moment. No need to dress up when knocking over a humdrum little planet, certainly no need for his full arsenal against a little hero like Iron Man. He'll put on his ensemble when he's ready to make a point or when things finally seem to warrant genuinely giving a poo poo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

euphronius posted:

Was that a black hole in 2001?

No

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I really don't think Cap will lift mjolnir, and I don't think anyone will ever say Avengers Assemble. The MCU tends to seemingly go out of the way even, sometimes, to avoid repeating iconic moments from the comics. Like no "Ultron, we would have words with thee", or in the Cap vs Iron Man fight Cap flat out wins. They tease "Avengers Assemble" and don't do it, they tease clanging mjolnir against the shield and don't do it. They show Thanos' armor and then get rid of it. On some level I think they think these moments are too corny and have decided not to do them.

Par for the course, really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw9u6moAn-Y

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

[slamming fist on table] It's bullshit that we didn't get sexy naked lady Ultron and then I think the heroes have to get vored by her in order to destroy her from within or something? I dunno exactly what happened in that storyline, but comics are goofy as hell and it rules when writers/artists get to be so blatantly horny on main

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Jenny Angel posted:

[slamming fist on table] It's bullshit that we didn't get sexy naked lady Ultron and then I think the heroes have to get vored by her in order to destroy her from within or something? I dunno exactly what happened in that storyline, but comics are goofy as hell and it rules when writers/artists get to be so blatantly horny on main

I keep sending WB my script for Wonder Woman: the Horny Lantern but I never get a response back :(

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

WB video game division is probably more open to it since they had Shelob from Middle Earth became a woman wearing evening wear but no shoes.

edit:
In an unrelated news, the new Hellboy will be released on 11 January 2019.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

I keep sending WB my script for Wonder Woman: the Horny Lantern but I never get a response back :(

they're called star sapphires; respect the canon and maybe you'll get a callback

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Another one I just remembered. Hulk jobbed to the Hulkbuster armor, something that absolutely has never happened before in comics.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
This thread caused me to rewatch MoS and it's better than I remembered.

NothingMatters posted:

It really helped that Planet of the Apes has a good script and characterization very few superhero movies have been able to touch it.

Which franchise has more good movies, Star Wars or Planet of the Apes?

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 30, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Apes.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cythereal posted:

I maintain that Thanos will probably put on his armor and helmet at a suitably dramatic moment. No need to dress up when knocking over a humdrum little planet, certainly no need for his full arsenal against a little hero like Iron Man. He'll put on his ensemble when he's ready to make a point or when things finally seem to warrant genuinely giving a poo poo.

Nooooo he didnt have it in the very first trailer that means it'll never show up ever, he will never wear his gold hat. im FURIOUS!!!!

this is marvel, they dont just change how a character looks in between movies for no reason, are you nuts?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Another one I just remembered. Hulk jobbed to the Hulkbuster armor, something that absolutely has never happened before in comics.

And it was goddamn hilarious.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's OK he was taken over by a wizard, so it wasn't a clean win. HULK NEVER PUT OVER TONY.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

The MSJ posted:

edit:
In an unrelated news, the new Hellboy will be released on 11 January 2019.

RIP

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

On the other hand they kept Loki's goofy horned outfit.

Civil War in the comics was a travesty, the movie, whatever it's faults, was a signficant improvement.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Charlz Guybon posted:

On the other hand they kept Loki's goofy horned outfit.

Civil War in the comics was a travesty, the movie, whatever it's faults, was a signficant improvement.

Excluding Brannagh's movie which, whatever its flaws, had some genuinely trippy imagery, Loki IIRC has the horns for like one scene in Avengers (in Munich or wherever it was) and then ditches them so that Tom Hiddleston can actually act/turn his head

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

bring back old gbs posted:

this is marvel, they dont just change how a character looks in between movies for no reason, are you nuts?

I guess "to sell toys" is a reason. Look at Iron Man's different styles.

Movie is probably really cheap so I wouldn't worry about it much.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Excluding Brannagh's movie which, whatever its flaws, had some genuinely trippy imagery, Loki IIRC has the horns for like one scene in Avengers (in Munich or wherever it was) and then ditches them so that Tom Hiddleston can actually act/turn his head

He also had his horned helmet during the invasion of New York until Hawkeye shoots him off his skysled and he takes a tumble.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The MSJ posted:

I guess "to sell toys" is a reason. Look at Iron Man's different styles.

Movie is probably really cheap so I wouldn't worry about it much.

and Captain America looking different in every movie, and Thor getting a complete redesign in ragnarok, and Groot changing to whatever, and Hawkeye getting a new vest every time hes on screen and Black Panther getting a new mask for his movie if the trailers are any indication,

but not Thanos, we saw the wifebeater and thats all he's ever gonna wear. the teaser trailer has spoken.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 1, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Speaking of Thor I hope he gets his hammer back somehow, whether it's Strange or himself making it. His hammer fighting style is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

RatHat posted:

Speaking of Thor I hope he gets his hammer back somehow, whether it's Strange or himself making it. His hammer fighting style is cool.

Strange has done it in he comics, I'd be surprised if he didn't do it here.

• Locked thread