Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I know Les to UT isn't the greatest hire but the Vols have reached "any port in a storm" and a coach with conference experience and a national title gives you the ability to tell the drooling masses of your fanbase to piss off, he didn't rape anyone and you're not getting Gruden.

Best case scenario Les is competitive and you get a good 5-6 years before doing this again.

Worst case is the game has left Les behind and you're doing this all again in three years, just with a different AD and the same fucks insisting that no, THIS time Gruden's taking the job he's just over in this briar patch over here...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Really i say what I said because honestly Rocky Top is such a mad house at least his wacky personality would fit with our tire fire, reports are he's actually interested in it, and the fan base would like it for a little while.

Plus as noted guy can recruit folks, if he actually put competent offensive coaches on his staff who knows.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Man I know it’s wasting my breath but I really hope Gruden doesn’t come up in conversation next time we go through a coaching search. Surely they’ve learned by now, right? (I know)

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Man I know it’s wasting my breath but I really hope Gruden doesn’t come up in conversation next time we go through a coaching search. Surely they’ve learned by now, right? (I know)

To be fair to your idiot fans he stoked the fires about coming back to coach before this season, so there was that. Then again he specifically said he was not going to coach at the college level while he was saying that. So...yeah.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
if i were currie, and i've now publically whiffed on my top choices i think i'd think give neal brown or satterfield a call. maybe even pruitt

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Joey Freshwater posted:

Have you seen the posters on Vol Nation who believe that some boosters had a deal with Gruden, but it was Haslam and Currie that said no? They are small minority (most of the fanbase don’t want to hear that name ever again, including me), but they have to be same idiots that believe in things like pizzagate.

Edit:

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 1, 2017

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

This might be the greatest thing I’ve ever seen but uh...

Why the owl?

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Joey Freshwater posted:

This might be the greatest thing I’ve ever seen but uh...

Why the owl?

FAU Owls

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

I'm reading John Currie's stupid loving contract:

$300k per year to exist + $25k increase each year
$600k to talk to the media, a guy who has made like 2 press conferences? one when he got hired and one after he fired butch?
if we keep him until 6/30/22 we owe him $1.5 million (if we fire him on 6/29/22 we owe him squat)
if we fire him without cause (do we not loving have cause at this point) he is owed $100k * months remaining. Months remaining is currently 55 exactly.
if he quits without cause he owes us $25k * months

so to break it down:
if he is kept on: $300k * 5 + $25k * (4+3+2+1) + $600k * 5 = $4.75 million over the life of the contract, $4.35 remaining
if he is fired: $100k * 55 = $5.5 million with him having already received $400k
if we convince him to quit he owes us $25k * 55 = $1.375 million
(fyi this does not include GSR, athletics performance goals, or other bonuses he could receive)

what kind of loving contract do you get paid MORE to get fired because you suck rear end???

also the for cause section reads "please look at rick barnes's contract"

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

Well Notre Dame will most likely be looking for a new coach within the next year or two and if there’s another delusional fan base that thinks Gruden belongs to them and that he’s always wanted to coach there, it’s them.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Really i say what I said because honestly Rocky Top is such a mad house at least his wacky personality would fit with our tire fire, reports are he's actually interested in it, and the fan base would like it for a little while.

Plus as noted guy can recruit folks, if he actually put competent offensive coaches on his staff who knows.

Butch was really good at recruiting! They have mostly the same problems.

I don’t get why people are reacting like the two options are “hire a very desperate Les Miles” or “hire no one and drop football”

Niwrad posted:

Has Tennessee looked at Frank Wilson? He was the recruiting coordinator for LSU and has brought in a bunch of talent to UTSA already.

Even Satterfield from App State would be an interesting guy to target. Young and seems at the forefront of what's happening with college offenses today. His offense almost beat Tennessee a couple years ago.

Wilson was more exciting before this year when his team stalled out and didn’t really build on last year. I’d wait a year at least on him.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

MourningView posted:

Butch was really good at recruiting! They have mostly the same problems.

Sort of? Butch signed a bunch of high * guys who didn't pan out or left the team and now you see what that has resulted in. No depth, guys out of scheme, and umm kind of a mess.

Les feels like a more competent recruiter than Butch really was, certainly at keeping guys in the program which Butch really couldn't manage to do once he got them on campus.

Plus just personality wise Les seems cool af, while Butch always came off as your constipated grandpa.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Except FAU is the burrowing owls. They're really tiny and adorable (and yes they burrow) and not at all ferocious like a barn owl.

Come on, UT, give me a call. I've never coached but I played Madden once at a friend's house, and who are we kidding I'm the best you're gonna get.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Enigma posted:

Except FAU is the burrowing owls. They're really tiny and adorable (and yes they burrow) and not at all ferocious like a barn owl.

And they don't hoot, they tweet

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Enigma posted:

By adorable you apparently mean perpetually pissed the hell off.

They always look like this.

e: Jesus Christ

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 1, 2017

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

maxallen posted:

I'm reading John Currie's stupid loving contract:

$300k per year to exist + $25k increase each year
$600k to talk to the media, a guy who has made like 2 press conferences? one when he got hired and one after he fired butch?
if we keep him until 6/30/22 we owe him $1.5 million (if we fire him on 6/29/22 we owe him squat)
if we fire him without cause (do we not loving have cause at this point) he is owed $100k * months remaining. Months remaining is currently 55 exactly.
if he quits without cause he owes us $25k * months

so to break it down:
if he is kept on: $300k * 5 + $25k * (4+3+2+1) + $600k * 5 = $4.75 million over the life of the contract, $4.35 remaining
if he is fired: $100k * 55 = $5.5 million with him having already received $400k
if we convince him to quit he owes us $25k * 55 = $1.375 million
(fyi this does not include GSR, athletics performance goals, or other bonuses he could receive)

what kind of loving contract do you get paid MORE to get fired because you suck rear end???

also the for cause section reads "please look at rick barnes's contract"

UT doesn’t really have cause though? Some how I doubt bumbling a coaching hire is enough to be fired with cause when previous case law had things like secret deals with boosters / companies to pay players or significantly worse acts. Sounds like they’re stuck with him unless he accepts a buyout of some kind.

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

Nystral posted:

UT doesn’t really have cause though? Some how I doubt bumbling a coaching hire is enough to be fired with cause when previous case law had things like secret deals with boosters / companies to pay players or significantly worse acts. Sounds like they’re stuck with him unless he accepts a buyout of some kind.

that was more a joke question

the real question is why do we have to pay him more if we fire him for being incompetent

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That’s pretty normal buyout language

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sort of? Butch signed a bunch of high * guys who didn't pan out or left the team and now you see what that has resulted in. No depth, guys out of scheme, and umm kind of a mess.

Recruiting and developing those recruits are two different skills. Just because they didn’t pan out or left the team doesn’t mean they weren’t initially good/great recruits.

Apparently Currie has gone missing, nobody can get in touch with him. He dead y’all.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

By adorable you apparently mean perpetually pissed the hell off.

They always look like this.

e: Jesus Christ

they should have been the fau frogmouths

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

If you've ever been on campus you'd know the mascot should have been the fighting raccoons. I did my Masters there and hoboy there are a lot of them and they are not afraid of people.

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006
So, no more news on Rocky Top? I caught a CBS article briefly on break that said we had interest in Sumlin. I’m going to go ahead and assume nothing came of it and we’re still coachless and Currie still has a job.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

Recruiting and developing those recruits are two different skills. Just because they didn’t pan out or left the team doesn’t mean they weren’t initially good/great recruits.

Apparently Currie has gone missing, nobody can get in touch with him. He dead y’all.

When those guys leave, never go anywhere or do anything else? When you drive off players with your awful attitude (appears to be he was a real poo poo person beyond whatever we thought of his coaching). That's bad evals and bad development. To counter MV's point, I don't see that as a problem Les had.

Currie used us to get to that sweet sweet appalachian meth now we'll never find him again until his bones surface in a WV park.

Honestly Les simply seems like a coach who won't be immediately disappointing, I just fear we're sitting here waiting for Derek Dooley 2.0 to drag us further into the dark fog of lovely programs.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 1, 2017

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

MourningView posted:

That’s pretty normal buyout language

Aren’t buyouts usually a fraction of what you would have made, not a large percentage more? Why don’t we just change his job description to “janitor” or “sit on the couch at home” for the next 4 1/2 years and then fire him the day before he gets his bonus?

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
https://twitter.com/CLTMotorSpdwy/status/936359741391081472

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Niwrad posted:

Has Tennessee looked at Frank Wilson? He was the recruiting coordinator for LSU and has brought in a bunch of talent to UTSA already.

Even Satterfield from App State would be an interesting guy to target. Young and seems at the forefront of what's happening with college offenses today. His offense almost beat Tennessee a couple years ago.

Frank Wilson would be a good "what the hell" pick. Ole Miss bloggers were big on him as a potential replacement for Freeze.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Niwrad posted:

Frank Wilson is just a lovely bag man and can't coach X and O for poo poo

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 1, 2017

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
Sumlin’s turned ‘em down, too. Hahaha.

https://twitter.com/gottliebshow/status/936395077924065280

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Came here to post this. One part :argh: 9001 parts :laffo:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

When those guys leave, never go anywhere or do anything else? When you drive off players with your awful attitude (appears to be he was a real poo poo person beyond whatever we thought of his coaching). That's bad evals and bad development. To counter MV's point, I don't see that as a problem Les had.

The point is that the Coach, whoever it is, doesn’t have control over what those kids are ranked, so if they don’t have talent or fall through because lack of talent, that’s on the evaluators of 247 or whatever site you look at. It’s the coach’s job to develop the player and coach them up. There are some guys that don’t really need it and just have talent period to do great things.

Once the kids are in the program it’s on the coaches to cultivate their talent.

Take Will Grier at Florida for example. He was loving garbage. He went to WVU and turned into a pretty drat good QB.

Les didn’t have that problem, Butch definitely did.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think there’s a pretty good argument that Les was underachieving and not using guys to their full potential near the end, especially if you look at what some have done at the next level. Like he had a pretty bad offense with OBJ, Landry, and Jeremy Hill.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
It looks like Currie is currently on the West Coast. Martin? Or who?

You do know the one thing the Vol Navy is seriously lacking is a pirate.

Big Piece O Shit
Jan 30, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

Take Will Grier at Florida for example. He was loving garbage. He went to WVU and turned into a pretty drat good QB.

This is true about every other QB that left Florida. Grier was great a Florida too.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Big Piece O poo poo posted:

This is true about every other QB that left Florida. Grier was great a Florida too.

He was the best QB since the glory days and I'm glad he left. He would have continued to be squandered by Mac, Nuss, and the other chucklefuck-buddies. He also would have probably been just good enough for Mac and Nuss to keep their jobs.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Joey Freshwater posted:

Peyton is haslam's hitman

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
its much easier to recruit if you win so maybe schools should start worrying about that instead of whether a guy can schmooze some parents

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

an adult beverage posted:

He was the best QB since the glory days and I'm glad he left. He would have continued to be squandered by Mac, Nuss, and the other chucklefuck-buddies. He also would have probably been just good enough for Mac and Nuss to keep their jobs.

Grier stays on that team and they're absolutely a threat against Bama two years in a row.

you stupid baby

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MourningView posted:

I don’t get why people are reacting like the two options are “hire a very desperate Les Miles” or “hire no one and drop football”

Because when you've screwed up a search as publicly as the Vols have it's pretty much the two options they have left. It's either a retread like Les/Todd Graham/Terry Bowden, a mediocre coach looking to cash in like Rod Carey at NIU, an NFL retread like McAdoo/BoB, or punting on the year and having an interim and doing what they should have done in the first place and doing this all through a committee so they have plausible deniability.

If I'm a Satterfield or Blake Anderson or someone young and worth a poo poo, I'm thinking long and hard about whether I'd have half a chance at Tennessee right now. I'd rather jump to UCF after Frost leaves, have a good year or two, and use that as the springboard to a big-time job with the big-time payday. Why take a job where you might be out on your rear end in three years and right back where you started, if not out of the game, and it's not like Tennessee's gonna give those guys the 5-6m they were gonna give Gundy, it'd be 2.5/3m at best. Going to Tennessee would be a short-term cashout when they have far greater earning potential.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Proud Christian Mom posted:

its much easier to recruit if you win so maybe schools should start worrying about that instead of whether a guy can schmooze some parents

It’s also easier to win when you can recruit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Raku posted:

Grier stays on that team and they're absolutely a threat against Bama two years in a row.

you stupid baby

Not w Nuss calling plays.

:fake pitch naked bootleg to short side of field on 3rd and goal from the 4:

• Locked thread