Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Yeah went the whole hog. 1st PG for me as well.

I'm pretty pumped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
The metal lines look cool but I'd much rather get a perfect grade Nu than some already assembled glorified statue. What's the fun in Gundam kits that you don't build over months or leave in a box for years going "oh... That backlog...."

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So for people wondering if the LED set for PG Exia is worth it, this should help you decide

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xy Hapu posted:

Thanks! I don't have a site but I usually throw the stuff I make up on ebay, here's the listing for the adapter: https://www.ebay.com/itm/322910956942

I just bought three of 'em, you're a hero.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So for people wondering if the LED set for PG Exia is worth it, this should help you decide

I didn't bother with the LEDs on my PG Strike, are these super hard to deal with?

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 30, 2017

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

I didn't bother with the LEDs on my PG Strike, are these super hard to deal with?

Bandai's LED tech has improved drastically since their old PG days. Here's a quick look at what you get with it all. A lot like the Unicorn's LED set, and it's all way more self contained than the LEDs that were in the Strike.

I don't even know how I got my PG RX-78 and Zaku II's LEDs working way back when. :negative:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

TaurusOxford posted:

We knew about this for a while now - what exactly is "gently caress right off"?

I did not know until I saw it right after they killed DM.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

To everyone here who has a SOC Megazord(which I think is just me...) SOC Dragonzord is confirmed:

looks a lot more show accurate than the prototype did:

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I've never built a PG and I've always thought I don't particularly want one, but now I need it desperately. Are LED sets limited in some way or will it still be relatively possible to get in the future?

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I got back into GunPla after like a decade of Warhammer 40k, and it is definitely an interesting change of pace. Impressive in a lot of ways (the movable frame, price, usable instructions despite not knowing a lick of Japanese, molded in color, the sticker-decals are amazing) and less impressive in a few (surface detail, durability).

Anyway, first go was the RG Zaku II:

I have the RG RX-78 on the way as well. Figured I may as well get the two most iconic UC suits, made easier by the Shinanju being like fifty bucks.

This kit was an absolute pleasure despite the high part count. I think I dicked up the wrists, but the rest of it went together super easy, and with the decals and the panel lines (the one thing I did that wasn't out-of-box, was scoring them in with a .2mm Micron pen) the detail is amazing. My only concern is that it might have ruined non-RG kits for me - I don't remember all the Gundum Wing MGs I did in the early 00's having this level of detail.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The RGs are mostly great, but I wouldn't discount high grades just yet. The recent releases have been very impressive with regards to surface detailing and engineering.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

ANAmal.net posted:

My only concern is that it might have ruined non-RG kits for me - I don't remember all the Gundum Wing MGs I did in the early 00's having this level of detail.

I feel the same way after my first RG. I built a 00 Qan[T] in transparent trans-am colors and now HGs don't seem all that appealing to me any more. (Aside from the more modern kits like the Origin line)

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Jesus what with the p-bandai set and the led's the pg exia may someday be the most expensive pg I ever buy.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Exia is worth it

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Arcsquad12 posted:

The RGs are mostly great, but I wouldn't discount high grades just yet. The recent releases have been very impressive with regards to surface detailing and engineering.

I had a bunch of the old HGUC ones back in the day - the only one I remember for sure is the GP03 Dendrobium - and some of the HG Gundam Wing kits, and while I assume they've gotten better in the last 15 years, I have no idea how to tell what's new and what's old anymore. Are there any HGs as good as the old MGs? I'd love to build the MG Tallgeese, but I have no idea if it's cool and good or not.

Zonekeeper posted:

I feel the same way after my first RG. I built a 00 Qan[T] in transparent trans-am colors and now HGs don't seem all that appealing to me any more. (Aside from the more modern kits like the Origin line)

This is exactly my problem - I love the old designs, but I want a modern kit of them.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ANAmal.net posted:

I had a bunch of the old HGUC ones back in the day - the only one I remember for sure is the GP03 Dendrobium - and some of the HG Gundam Wing kits, and while I assume they've gotten better in the last 15 years, I have no idea how to tell what's new and what's old anymore. Are there any HGs as good as the old MGs? I'd love to build the MG Tallgeese, but I have no idea if it's cool and good or not.

This is exactly my problem - I love the old designs, but I want a modern kit of them.

There are definitely HGs as good as (or usually better than) the oldest MGs. But it depends on what you want from them if you're looking for a match. IBO kits are cheap and lower detail, but they're also highly articulated, smooth builds with near full inner frames. Origin kits skimp on the frame in comparison, but they're higher detail and have more parts.

Tallgeese is alright. 2013, so it's got modern engineering. Not a great kit, but it should be reasonably satisfying. 310 pieces, full inner frame, good gimmicks. Articulation's a bit weak. Your call and all, but I think it should be good enough if you're really looking for a Tallgeese.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
RG are good and all but sometimes I just want to sit and chill and make a model in a few hours.

Some of the IBO HG's are really good in terms of construction and detail too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ANAmal.net posted:

Here's a comparison to give you an idea of the changes in HGUC over the years.

To this:

That's the difference ten years of engineering and detailing makes.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I just broke the leg frame of my RG Build Strike. I was very gently trying to move it after painting. Use caution when painting RG frames! Even using acrylics it felt like the plastic became brittle.

At least that’s a kit out of the backlog I guess.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Well, you say 'just', but acrylic is also the thickest of the paints since it doesn't bite into the plastic. This is why it's usually a good idea to take an x-acto to loosen any non-poly connections before paints, so that they don't become too tight afterwards (paint just flakes off poly's so thats NBD).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

From the c-spam gunpla thread:

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

Neurolimal posted:

Well, you say 'just', but acrylic is also the thickest of the paints since it doesn't bite into the plastic. This is why it's usually a good idea to take an x-acto to loosen any non-poly connections before paints, so that they don't become too tight afterwards (paint just flakes off poly's so thats NBD).

Thanks, this is a good tip. My post was mostly meant as a warning to others to not repeat my mistakes.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 377 days!
e: wrong thread

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Puddin posted:

RG are good and all but sometimes I just want to sit and chill and make a model in a few hours.

Yeah, I would agree that HGs are a lot more fun in the traditional sense. The simplicity of the kits make them a little more hardy too, which is relevant because while I really enjoy the RG series they can be pretty fragile. I'm afraid to touch my RG Zeta Gundam because to accommodate the may as well be magical engineering that went into fitting a full transform in a 1/144 scale figure, most of the structural pieces are bordering on paper thin.

Personally, though perhaps controversially, I think the RG series can also be a bit over-articulated at times. There's so many joints in there it's another entire process to get everything pointing in the right direction.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I agree, but at the same time you can alleviate some of that by just supergluing parts that you're unlikely to ever remove.

I would say plastic cement but SG is less permanent, in case you decide to paint the kit.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Guy Goodbody posted:

I decided to go ahead and set up a Gunpla shelf instead of just putting them wherever or leaving them in the box. Seeing them all lined up like that, i think I might have a Petitgguy problem...

How come your Bearguy F's holding hand is white? Mine is blue.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Serenade posted:

How come your Bearguy F's holding hand is white? Mine is blue.

I used the holding hand that came with the white petitgguy

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
https://twitter.com/tendoutoys/status/936321742020022272

holy moly

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I still wish we had some nice quality cheap getter model kits. Especially the shin bots.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

holy poo poo piss

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Bandai is going to murder wallets and end marriages next year:

SOC Crimson Typhoon

SOC Getter Robo Go

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

SOC Crimson Typhoon

SOC Getter Robo Go

Just out of curiosity; do we know if Bandai only has the licensing rights to Pacific Rim 2, or might we pray and hope for HG kits of Jaegers from the first movie?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Crimson Typhoon is from the first Pacific Rim. So Cherno Alpha could be possible!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Taintrunner posted:

Crimson Typhoon is from the first Pacific Rim. So Cherno Alpha could be possible!

Cherno Alpha and Stryker Eureka are already confirmed to be WIP:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

Cherno Alpha and Stryker Eureka are already confirmed to be WIP:

Just to clarify, is that for the SOC line or HG line?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just to clarify, is that for the SOC line or HG line?

That's SOC. Sorry, thought that was clear from me replying to Taintrunner's post about SOC Crimson Typhoon.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

That's SOC. Sorry, thought that was clear from me replying to Taintrunner's post about SOC Crimson Typhoon.

I figured, just wanted to be sure.

In the hopes I didn't have to contemplate dropping $250 on a SOC Strike Eureka.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I figured, just wanted to be sure.

In the hopes I didn't have to contemplate dropping $250 on a SOC Strike Eureka.

I am SO happy that SOC Dragonzord has been the only "must have" purchase for me from this event. Next year is still gonna be stupid with Masterpiece Beast Wars Dinobot coming out but I feel REALLY bad for hardcore SOC collectors.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

SOC Crimson Typhoon

SOC Getter Robo Go

If only this had been the manga getter go. Alas.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

StrikeR Eureka.

They died cancelling the apocalypse please show them the respect they deserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blackchamber posted:

They died cancelling the apocalypse please show them the respect they deserve.

Dammit, I somehow keep thinking of the Strike Gundam which is how that happens. I have done my country's finest Jaeger a great disservice :australia::negative:.

TaurusOxford posted:

I am SO happy that SOC Dragonzord has been the only "must have" purchase for me from this event. Next year is still gonna be stupid with Masterpiece Beast Wars Dinobot coming out but I feel REALLY bad for hardcore SOC collectors.

I've seen pictures of that Dinobot. Frankly a Dinobot toy that not only transforms but looks perfect in both forms is the work of evil witchcraft, and I will not hear otherwise.