Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

His Divine Shadow posted:

Żubrówka biala vodka

Very cool. Traditional Zubrowka can’t be imported to the US because actual bison grass- the herb that is used to infuse it- contains Coumarin, which is very aromatic but also potentially heptatoxic. This is the same reason we can’t have root beer that is made from real sassafras, or snakeroot bitters (for you Imbibe! dorks).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Ah I tasted some bison grass stuff at a buddy's cookout a while ago that he brought from overseas, I didn't realize it wasn't permitted for sale here. Definitely a very distinct funk to it, that's cool to know

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I had a sample a few years back at a show and been meaning to pick up a bottle. Thanks for the reminder! Like :10bux: for a bottle where I am, so not like it's expensive either.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

What’s a good dry vermouth for martinis?

My wife likes them dirty and has been trying them without vermouth, but I figured maybe trying one other kind.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

nwiniwn posted:

What’s a good dry vermouth for martinis?

Standard recs are Noilly Prat or Dolin.

This thread will tell you to make a very wet martini (on the order of 2:1 gin to vermouth, or even 1:1 for a change of pace), dash some orange bitters in there (I like Angostura Orange but Regans and Fees are both also respectable), and garnish with a twist. I think this thread is generally right.

I also think more people should drink Tuxedos (martinis with dry fino/manzanilla sherry replacing vermouth).

Edit: Huh, apparently there's another Tuxedo that is a martini (with vermouth) with added maraschino and absinthe. I haven't had that one but don't see why it would be bad, that's effectively an "improved" martini...

Scythe fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 1, 2017

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Scythe posted:

I also think more people should drink Tuxedos (martinis with dry fino/manzanilla sherry replacing vermouth).

Holy poo poo I've been drinking these for a while now and I thought I invented it! They're so good!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Any recommendations for hot/warm cocktails? It's getting cold here and I'd like to try making something that'd warm me up instead of cool me down. The simpler the better, though I have some leeway in making stuff.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

An old-school hot toddy is quite the thing for a simple warm drink. 2 oz. spirits, 1/5 oz. raw sugar, 4 oz. boiling water, fresh-grated nutmeg. Make sure to warm up your mug with hot water before building it, and use a rich spirit, like a pot-stilled Jamaican rum or smokey single-malt Scotch. I favor Smith and Cross or Finlaggan for a hot toddy, or a proper genever gin.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Also, serve it in a wide mouthed mug if possible.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Huh. My momma must've lied to me. A hot toddy in my house is juice from half a lemon, 1 oz honey, 1-2 oz bourbon, 3-4 oz boiling water.

Also look up hot buttered rum. Many different ratios, I liked most variants I had last year.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Any recommendations for hot/warm cocktails? It's getting cold here and I'd like to try making something that'd warm me up instead of cool me down. The simpler the better, though I have some leeway in making stuff.

I've been way into the Drambuie and hot Apple cider that the thread recommended me. Just like, a shot of it in a glass and it's :discourse:

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

BrianBoitano posted:

Huh. My momma must've lied to me. A hot toddy in my house is juice from half a lemon, 1 oz honey, 1-2 oz bourbon, 3-4 oz boiling water.

IIRC a “true” hot toddy uses scotch, but there’s no need to be pedantic. That recipe looks like an excellent toddy template.

Kenning posted:

Make sure to warm up your mug with hot water before building it, and use a rich spirit, like a pot-stilled Jamaican rum or smokey single-malt Scotch.

Man, now I’m gonna have to make one with mezcal.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

A classic hot toddy with mezcal is choice.

BrianBoitano posted:

Also look up hot buttered rum. Many different ratios, I liked most variants I had last year.

The lemon/honey/bourbon/sometimes tea hot toddy is common, but I cannot abide hot lemon juice.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Just put a barspoon of lemon into your toddy, any more and it's like drinking boozy theraflu

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

pgroce posted:

IIRC a “true” hot toddy uses scotch, but there’s no need to be pedantic. That recipe looks like an excellent toddy template.
I'm not sure who decides these things, but rum toddies have been a thing in the United States for well over a century, maybe two.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Fart Car '97 posted:

Just put a barspoon of lemon into your toddy, any more and it's like drinking boozy theraflu

I don’t see the problem with boozy theta flu, TBH. I guess it falls under the category of not a hot toddy, still would drink the hell out of it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Kenning posted:

An old-school hot toddy is quite the thing for a simple warm drink. 2 oz. spirits, 1/5 oz. raw sugar, 4 oz. boiling water, fresh-grated nutmeg. Make sure to warm up your mug with hot water before building it, and use a rich spirit, like a pot-stilled Jamaican rum or smokey single-malt Scotch. I favor Smith and Cross or Finlaggan for a hot toddy, or a proper genever gin.

I've been looking for an excuse to crack out the S&C again, and this is perfect for the cold weather.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm not sure who decides these things, but rum toddies have been a thing in the United States for well over a century, maybe two.

Toddies, like most cocktails, have no 'true' origin or recipe. They're a format that became popular in a lot of places at once in a number of variations.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

Anybody ever try the Benny'n'Hot? (Benedictine and hot water.)

Tried this last night. Full 50/50 wasn't as syrupy as I expected, but still sweeter than i like, so I tried subbing some of the Benny for brandy. 1 part brandy 1 part benny 2 parts hot water was my personal preference.

On the third one, I realized Benedictine is 40%, when I had assumed like 20%, and I was pretty toasty.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I buy B&B premixed so I'll be trying that later! Cheers!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! Gonna try making a hot toddy. Guess I'm picking up some rum tonight. And maybe next I go to the supermarket, I'll get ingredients for the drambuie and hot cider. :getin:

Edit: Ended up grabbing a nip of Jameson's, brewing some hot water, warming a coffee mug, and putting together 1/2 cup hot water, 1 nip of Jamesons, 2 tsp of sugar, a splash of lemon juice, and a squeeze of maple syrup. I like it!!! Next time I might add more lemon juice and stew some cloves and cinnamon in it.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 6, 2017

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.
Adventures in the Midwest:

The state liquor commission seems to be leading down their more weird/interesting bottle options, any recommendations for a website or service?

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

Lokee posted:

Adventures in the Midwest:

The state liquor commission seems to be leading down their more weird/interesting bottle options, any recommendations for a website or service?

I like Astor Wines but I live in NY so YMMV.

http://www.astorwines.com/DeliveryInformation.aspx

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
What rum are we using instead of Flor de Cana now?

Just went back like a dozen pages and couldn't find any recommendations.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

slut chan posted:

I've been using Diplomatico Planas and it's pretty fantastic.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
For my everyday white rum daiquiris and mojitos, just Cruzan. It's an amazing value for the money. (Granted, so was Flor de Cana extra secco, but my wife doesn't like the floral character that much anyways.)

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I have zero experience with port; what's a good brand for mixing? I want to try making glögg, and I'm open to suggestions for any other ingredients as well: brandy vs aquavit vs whatever, spice proportions, etc.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I like Gosling's for that. It's sweet, as far as tasting notes are concerned you're getting molasses, molasses, molasses drifting through a cloud of vanilla.

That is, mixing dark rum in general. I have never made glogg.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

slut chan posted:

I like Barbancourt white. For dark stuff I like the Appleton Estate Rare Blend 12 Year. Plus Smith and Cross and Wray and Nephew for overproof stuff. Yes I do keep four bottles of rum at home.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Back in my glory days I think I had 11 different rums. I hosted a couple of rum tasting parties.

Halloween Jack posted:

For my everyday white rum daiquiris and mojitos, just Cruzan. It's an amazing value for the money. (Granted, so was Flor de Cana extra secco, but my wife doesn't like the floral character that much anyways.)

Yeah Cruzan is pretty solid, but I loved the floral character of Flor de Cana. I don't buy it anymore, but it hurts. It's like not eating unagi.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Ugh I want to cover my ears and not ask what's up with Flor De Caña but I guess I will.

Unrelated: I've got a DIY falernum recipe from a bar that had a very tasty cocktail. Does it at all look like a normal velvet falernum in flavor profile? I've never had falernum outside of this one cocktail.

Zest of 8 limes
1 cup thinly sliced ginger
100 cloves
1 Tbsp whole allspice
1/2 nutmeg, quartered
16 oz overproof rum

Serious Eats has a recipe that looks similar, but no allspice or nutmeg and instead uses toasted almonds and adds the juice of 4 of the limes. The author also says the ginger is too much, even at 1 Tbsp grated.

Commercial falernum drinkers: ginger and lime juice good? Nutmeg and allspice?

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Dec 8, 2017

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

Ugh I want to cover my ears and not ask what's up with Flor De Caña but I guess I will.

Unrelated: I've got a DIY falernum recipe from a bar that had a very tasty cocktail. Does it at all look like a normal velvet falernum in flavor profile? I've never had falernum outside of this one cocktail.

Zest of 8 limes
100 cloves
1 Tbsp whole allspice
1/2 nutmeg, quartered
16 oz overproof rum

Serious Eats has a recipe that looks similar, but no allspice or nutmeg and instead uses toasted almonds and adds the juice of 4 of the limes. The author also says the ginger is too much, even at 1 Tbsp grated.

https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/article/qkxv7v/the-silent-epidemic-behind-nicaraguas-rum

Basically Flor de Caña over works their workers and doesn't provide adequate water, shade, or rest breaks, which results in high rates of a fatal kidney disease that is killing them.

The article is a few years old, there hasn't been any follow-up to my knowledge.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
They have a really great setup where they just don't pay people enough to survive, so it's theoretically not their fault if workers don't take breaks and use fake IDs to work more hours than is safe.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

BrianBoitano posted:

Zest of 8 limes
100 cloves
1 Tbsp whole allspice
1/2 nutmeg, quartered
16 oz overproof rum

It will taste unlike most bottled falernums, but it will taste like the kind of falernum most tiki drinks are balanced around. (There are a few cocktails I’ve seen that specify Velvet Falernum, but I’ve never made them.) Ginger, lime, and spices should characterize falernum.

There’s only one bottled brand I’ve had that tastes like real falernum, and that’s produced by Maggie’s Farm Rum in Pittsburgh. If you’re in the Northeast or Mid-Atlantic, that might be an option. (It looks like they have online ordering now, too.)

I recommend you make your own falernum at least once, though. It benefits from being freshly-made, IMO.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Thanks. Death & Co uses velvet falernum in several cocktails. I'll give it a try anyhow.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Three Dots and a Dash use Velvet as well, I'm told. Having had it, I wouldn't say it's bad. It just isn't the same thing.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Velvet Falernum is a specific brand made by Foursquare which is cool because Foursquare is one of the most legit rum distillers and they bascially use Falernum to fund all the near weird stuff they do under other expressions

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

slut chan posted:

Tried this last night. Full 50/50 wasn't as syrupy as I expected, but still sweeter than i like, so I tried subbing some of the Benny for brandy. 1 part brandy 1 part benny 2 parts hot water was my personal preference.

On the third one, I realized Benedictine is 40%, when I had assumed like 20%, and I was pretty toasty.

Trip report: very yes

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
someone wants me to make a negroni for them, but i never really touch the italian aperitifs as they aren't much to my tastes. does anyone have brand recommendations for the sweet vermouth and should the gin be dry? I've got a couple of different small bottles of st. george's offerings, but should i go with a london dry instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Mancino is my favorite. For the gin, yes go for something dry.