Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

im loving jonesing real bad for trails 2 for pc over here. that was one hell of a cliffhanger, goddamn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

babypolis posted:

im loving jonesing real bad for trails 2 for pc over here. that was one hell of a cliffhanger, goddamn

Ending a game like that without the next one coming out immediately should be illegal, imo

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Red Red Blue posted:

Ending a game like that without the next one coming out immediately should be illegal, imo

i'm pretty sure xseed would drop all of their games on pc immediately if that was physically possible

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Colonel posted:

if you like the part of tales of berseria where all of the most important characters in the main party are women, know that the women in zestiria exist pretty much purely to play second-fiddle to sorey along with everyone else in the world and also it gives you a badass princess and then kidnaps her offscreen seven hours later and she never appears again until you're 40 hours in

Also by the time she returns she's missing a central mechanic that makes her utterly worthless in a fight because the other humans can revive themselves with people in reserves but nope, she can't do it.

And it's not even a surprise when she comes back because the loving equipment system starts throwing in the one category of weapon she gets randomly into shops before she's back in your party.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

That says more about Symphonia than Steel really

Until Vesperia came out, there were a lot of Tales fans who insisted Symphonia was the best in the series. Never understood it.

babypolis posted:

Check out Trails in the Sky if you haven't already.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Until Vesperia came out, there were a lot of Tales fans who insisted Symphonia was the best in the series. Never understood it.

Check out Trails in the Sky if you haven't already.

ive played up to TitS SC. ive heard the 3rd is real good but I dunno if I can go back to the TitS combat after playing Cold Steel

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

babypolis posted:

ive played up to TitS SC. ive heard the 3rd is real good but I dunno if I can go back to the TitS combat after playing Cold Steel

3rd is the best tits game and it's a lot shorter than sc, it's not super difficult and you can always turbo through it now

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

plus by now they let you speed the combat up significantly whenever you want

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
How does Beseria work in co-op? Is it secret of mana style where you control characters each or...?
I can't tell on the steam page!

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Taear posted:

How does Beseria work in co-op? Is it secret of mana style where you control characters each or...?
I can't tell on the steam page!

yeah every person control one character during fights

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

My Cold Steel comment was in regards to the final two dungeons part and not characters or plot.

(Also I like the final dungeon)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Caphi posted:

It has the clumsiest racism theme in the entire series by far

Considering what the series has done before, that's a pretty high bar. Has there been any good post-mortems on Zestria?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

1. mostly cause Symphonia was their first Tales of game, I think. Symphonia feels a lot more original and novel until you play the others (mostly Phantasia/Eternia imo) and see that it never really tried very hard. The first act is still kinda novel, but it's also FFX-cliffnotes.

2. The other games that came out in america after it also had some notable flaws that weren't like Symphonia's. Legendia had several big issues that turned people off, despite having some really good moments. Abyss had this thing where a lot of people earlier on (maybe still now?) hated Luke's character in the first arc, while also hating on the games use of specific terminology everywhere; so while Abyss's story was better, people had weird hangups on it for a while. And neither game had significantly better combat; Abyss tried some new things but free run ended up being laughably abusable instead of feeling as dynamic as it should've been, Fof didn't amount to much, and the other base systems aren't much more exciting (other than Mystic Artes being way easier to use, at least, even if they were too easy).

I think the goon needle has swung too much in the other way for Symphonia, but I do think the over-praise was mostly just lack of Tales experience within the small subset of games that US had between Symphonia -> Vesperia.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Is FF15 like FF13 where half the story is in datafiles? Also what are some good newbie tips?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Getsuya posted:

Is FF15 like FF13 where half the story is in datafiles? Also what are some good newbie tips?

Phoneposting here, but the Final Fantasy thread has a bunch of tips on the second to last page.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ventana posted:

Considering what the series has done before, that's a pretty high bar. Has there been any good post-mortems on Zestria?

i'm not sure we've gotten any in-depth confirmation but the most plausible story i've heard is that hideo baba, the series producer, was basically going crazy with tales since xillia and was the reason they tried having main character splits and dialog options, and since zestiria was their big anniversary game and they had three years to make it he decided to make it the biggest one yet with two major path splits for alisha and rose and then midway through development everyone realized his plan was literally impossible so they had to scrap something together with what they had

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

DisDisDis posted:

I'd smoke weed with Magilou obviously

Hanging out with Magilou would always be a good time.

Tales games are super gay but Zestiria was p gushy about it and that helped me get through the last 50 or so hours. I didn't have to think about the crafting system at all because it didn't matter.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the zestiria anime is better than the game because half of it is just alisha and rose getting excited together about how badass they've become

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/HDKirin/status/936612891721007106

I'm guessing this changes a number of publishers for future titles.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Getsuya posted:

15 is different in that sometimes the story isn't anywhere at all, because they didn't have time to write it. So if you become confused, just know that it's not your fault.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's always felt kind of weird to me how so many Tales games' problems comes down to, "it was rushed/there was not enough time", but I guess my main alternative points of comparison are Falcom w/ Trails who do it by making the games look about one generation behind and Atlus who are just willing to spend a billion years making their flagship titles.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Nate RFB posted:

It's always felt kind of weird to me how so many Tales games' problems comes down to, "it was rushed/there was not enough time", but I guess my main alternative points of comparison are Falcom w/ Trails who do it by making the games look about one generation behind and Atlus who are just willing to spend a billion years making their flagship titles.

i mean, that was mainly the problem with more recent tales games and that's just because someone decided it was a good idea to make xillia an 80 hour long jrpg with two main character paths until they realized it was impossible and put out a rushed 30 hour long game with two main characters who's routes awkwardly disconnect sometimes. zestiria has the longest development cycle of any of the games so far and i'm pretty sure that's the moment someone at bamco realized someone on the staff was just not making good decisions

with games like symphonia, vesperia and graces it's probably more down to struggling with early 3d game development or just bad writing. tales of legendia was cause it was being made by the loving tekken team and literally nobody had any idea what they were doing and the regular team was in the middle of major restructuring

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Tales games seem to have a consistent problem with establishing their scope ahead of time, like they really want to do a short series of games to fully flesh out their characters but have to blindly scrap 2/3 of their ideas to fit a single game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Liver Disaster posted:

Tales games seem to have a consistent problem with establishing their scope ahead of time, like they really want to do a short series of games to fully flesh out their characters but have to blindly scrap 2/3 of their ideas to fit a single game.

i think berseria and abyss show that they can fit all the important ideas in, just as long as the ideas they decide to maintain aren't the loving insane gimmicky ones that are almost entirely irrelevant to the plot and the characters

there's also tales of eternia, which is like half as long as other tales games in general and a way better story than some of them

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Dehry posted:

https://twitter.com/HDKirin/status/936612891721007106

I'm guessing this changes a number of publishers for future titles.
Funny, I was just reading an interview mentioning the shrinking space for third party localizers. Also mentioned how NISA has no clue how Ys ended up how it did.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I honestly didn't think their output was large enough to make it worthwhile.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

and tbf Falcom has had to change plans, split games, or cut content themselves due to deadlines or increasing scope, they just presumably have more freedom to do that when they're not owned by a larger game pub.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

8-Bit Scholar posted:

But no for real, Persona 5 sort of needed to end the way it ended. It's a weaker narrative if you just let everyone get away with being magic criminals.

I agree with this, but I guess my problem is...

quote:

Society may have problems but if good people work hard maybe we can overcome them?

I'm having a lot of problems believing this these days.
(No sense getting any further into this in the RPG thread. Just had to get it off my chest)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Phantasium posted:

I'm going to elaborate on this, because I feel like it, and because while the maxim that Zestiria is bad is a true one, I feel like people don't get the full brunt of that anymore and so I present Zestiria's convoluted equipment system which permeates every aspect of the loving game.

First of all, equipment has random skills attached to it. Because of this it's rare when you actually get unique equipment in the game (or you might never, gently caress if I know). This means when you go to shops in town, they don't have default equipment to stock, there's always a random assortment of equipment you can buy, which means sometimes you just miss out on equipment for party members at certain points in the story.

Secondly, you're allowed to strengthen equipment and weapons. To do this, you buy multiples of them and merge them together. Once something gets to level 10 you can basically turn it into a fancier version of itself. In order to upgrade the fancy version, you then need ten more to make that version again and then merge them together.

Third, your stats on level up are based on the distribution of the stats being raised by your current armor set. If you prioritize defense that stat will go up the most. HP is static and based on how many of a particular item you're holding which can be gotten from story beats and sidequests and there's a finite number.

Fusing equipment together merges their skills. Skills on equipment can be mastered after so many battles which makes them semi-permanent. Unmastered skills are blue skills and are replaced completely when merged. Merging equipment costs money, and the more blue skills that are on your equipment the more costly they are which means you need to grind out some fights until skills are mastered if you want it to be cheap.

What skills show up on what dropped equipment is random but also determined by the area you're in and the enemies you're fighting. You can seed skills by attaching a Normin to an area of the game, which are collectible mascot characters that prioritize the skill they're named after. They're hidden and there are 50 of them. Attaching a normin also increases the difficulty of the enemies in the area. The final Normin has to be defeated to be obtained and is nearly the worst boss in any Tales game, and he reprises that terrible role in Berseria for some god damned reason.

And now the worst and finally maybe considering I'm sure I forgot some loving detail, stacking the same skill multiple times increases it's effects, and also there's a grid system where every skill is aligned and you get bonus skills for having skills in a line or in other patterns that give you skills you can't otherwise get in drops. One of these is the ability to avoid being petrified, which has no actual cure in game and is thankfully relegated to one story boss and another sidequest. They make a big deal about pointing out how easy it is to do this despite how much of a god damned trainwreck it is to end up in the perfect situation to have them without grinding that poo poo out.

As an aside, Grade, which is basically your score for every battle in these games and is typically just treated as New Game+ currency for neat bonuses, has been turned into this poo poo you have to grind out in each area for "Lord of the Land" bonuses so you can do stuff like repop treasure chests to give you more random equipment to hope it has the skills you want or to make the drop rate better. But just for the area you're in, you'll have to grind it out separately if one area in one part of the game drops the equipment you want that you need random skills on to do anything with this clusterfuck.

And this is all in addition to being one the most poorly plotted Tales games since it just sort of ends unceremoniously and has some of the worst messaging, worst development of the characters, worst main villain, worst final boss, the lovely god damned armatus mechanic which turns every end game fight into merging into a character with a limited moveset and spamming their most powerful move and which encourages character switching all the time when a character dies but then dings half your grade for every time somebody does die.

Do not loving buy Zestiria. It is a loving trashfire.

Christ it's like Kawazu designed it

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

ChrisBTY posted:

I agree with this, but I guess my problem is...

I'm having a lot of problems believing this these days.
(No sense getting any further into this in the RPG thread. Just had to get it off my chest)

Both the US and Japan have problems with an extremely politically disengaged populace. I don’t think it’s an unreasonable message to send, whatever other issues with tone and messaging P5 may have.

It’s a very understandable reaction to the political climate for a writer to have at the very least.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pablo Gigante posted:

Christ it's like Kawazu designed it

Except you can just play on normal and never have to care about any of that, not saying that makes it good but its still a far cry from the worst of Saga's crimes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yeah, how dare they try to demonstrate that you can't use magic to solve all your problems. What's that? Society may have problems but if good people work hard maybe we can overcome them? That's terrible, gently caress this game.

But no for real, Persona 5 sort of needed to end the way it ended. It's a weaker narrative if you just let everyone get away with being magic criminals.
The ending isnt what i meant

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I meant the part where in the middle of their aaa jrpg atlus decided to have two mincing gay stereotypes try to gently caress a teenage boy

Thats the part i meant

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The part where they decided having a coherent message and theme was less important than reheating jokes that were old when hard gay was doing them 15 years ago, is the part of p5 where it decided to be a thing that reinforced lovely attitudes held by lovely adults

The bit in persona 5 where the director remembered two random inoffensive gay comedians from the 90s that made him so mad he decided they needed to be in his game as gay rapists, is the part of persona 5 i didnt like

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Endorph posted:

I meant the part where in the middle of their aaa jrpg atlus decided to have two mincing gay stereotypes try to gently caress a teenage boy

Thats the part i meant

Yeah that part was not good

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Are all the villains in P5 rapists?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Getsuya posted:

Are all the villains in P5 rapists?

No but at least 3-4 of them are

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

The first console tales game hideo baba produced was tales of graces. The first tales game to have huge production issues was tales of graces. Then came xillia, which had huge production issues and he produced. Then came xillia 2, which exists solely to try and fix some of those issues. Then came zestiria, which was zestiria.

Then baba was fired, and berseria, while cheap and obviously slapdash in some areas, didnt have any production issues id describe as glaring.

I dont like blaming literally one guy, but making sure the project has a reasonable scope and is finished on time was literally his job. When everything outside of a ds game had gigantic issues with that, and alll had the same producer, and the problem is alleviated when he leaves, well.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sakurazuka posted:

Except you can just play on normal and never have to care about any of that, not saying that makes it good but its still a far cry from the worst of Saga's crimes.

saga's only crime is that in saga frontier 2, enemies have such badly overinflated HP that it can take 10 minutes just to do one encounter in the first area for wil knights. it's not even that strong of a monster, it just has thousands of HP at a point in the game where you're doing double-digit damage. it's also an extremely common enemy in that area

oh and that the final boss in both final fantasy legend 3 and romancing saga 3 comes down purely to rng because of stat caps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The White Dragon posted:

oh and that the final boss in both final fantasy legend 3 and romancing saga 3 comes down purely to rng because of stat caps
FFL3? I guess he does hit like a truck if you get unlucky, but I'm genuinely surprised to hear you say that it's pure RNG when you even have a fifth party member with the best available Cure spell. Admittedly, I played it once when I was a teenager and not since and I definitely bought nine Elixirs and all that before going in.