Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Looks like this year they shipped the phones too fast because they can't process the trade ins fast enough. This is a message I just got.

quote:

We’re sorry, but due to the popularity of the program, it’ll take a little longer than we anticipated to inspect the device you submitted to Trade In. We’ve received it and will examine it within the next 10-15 days. Once that’s done, we’ll email you the results and the amount of your Trade In credit.

This delay won’t affect the estimate you received when you initiated your Trade In.

Again, our sincere apologies.

- The Google Store Team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I've been mentally floating the idea of getting a Pixel 2 XL after the new year (or maybe as a Christmas present to myself). I miss prompt updates and the Pixel cam (especially with the Pixel Visual Core magic) is incredibly enticing. Right now I'm just scared I'll be disappointed by the screen. Some people here have no issues, while others are returning theirs.

Talk me into this?

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 1, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The screen is fine, issues were completely overblown. This is the best phone I've ever used.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mental Hospitality posted:

I've been mentally floating the idea of getting a Pixel 2 XL after the new year, I miss updates and the Pixel cam (especially with the Pixel Visual Core magic) is incredibly enticing. Right now I'm just scared I'll be disappointed by the screen. Some people here have no issues, while others are returning theirs.

Talk me into this?

You can return it.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

I've been mentally floating the idea of getting a Pixel 2 XL after the new year (or maybe as a Christmas present to myself). I miss prompt updates and the Pixel cam (especially with the Pixel Visual Core magic) is incredibly enticing. Right now I'm just scared I'll be disappointed by the screen. Some people here have no issues, while others are returning theirs.

Talk me into this?

My screen is bad enough that it's going back, the same could very easily happen to you.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Talk me into this?

I just sold my Note 8 after getting a 2 XL because the screen was just as good after enabling saturated mode in the new patch. It's the best phone on the market now.

And yeah, just return it if you get a dud.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm sticking with my full-price Pixel XL :toot:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Incessant Excess posted:

My screen is bad enough that it's going back, the same could very easily happen to you.

I mean, I still have a 2014 Moto X sitting in my nightstand and it wasn't known for it's great AMOLED panel, if a Pixel2 XL can match or surpass it, I should be okay.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

I mean, I still have a 2014 Moto X sitting in my nightstand and it wasn't known for it's great AMOLED panel, if a Pixel2 XL can match or surpass it, I should be okay.

Fair enough, for me the price factored into that decision as well. I was not okay paying near 1000 Euro for the screen I had, 500 might have been a different story.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It's pretty well known that some 2XL screens are definitely duds. People like me and unfortunatewhatever did not get a dud. If you got one, exchange it. It's an amazing phone.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Well update on the weird charging problem I had a few pages ago (pixel 2 non-xl). I would get the system notification that a USB device was plugged in at all times when nothing at all was plugged in, but actually plugging in a charging cable meant either A) the notification goes away but the device doesn't charge or B) I can manually switch to charge if the notification still appears, and then it finally charges (but occasionally just stops and then rinse repeat all the above).

So pretty annoying. Removed all apps, reset in safe mode, checked the usb settings in dev mode, and finally factory reset; same problem. Talked to google support and will RMA. Kinda bummed, everything worked so perfectly until a week ago.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's pretty well known that some 2XL screens are definitely duds. People like me and unfortunatewhatever did not get a dud. If you got one, exchange it. It's an amazing phone.

I did exchange it, just for a regular 2 as that felt like the safer bet to me and I wasn't dying to have a big phone in the first place.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Incessant Excess posted:

A big german retailer is running a promo where the price of the new Pixels is reduced by 200 Euros each, sucks for those who pre-ordered (me).

Which one is it? I'll may make a trip over the border if that's the case :v:

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
Went and fondled a Pixel 2 XL in the local Verizon store. The display unit didn't exhibit any obvious backlight/grain issues and the blue shift is really minor. I also held my Pixel 1 up next to it and the size difference is surprisingly small. So I went and bought a 64GB Black 2 XL from the Google Store (for trade-in/$100 credit) last night!

gently caress me that was a lot of money for a phone. Keeping all my fingers crossed that I get one of the good screens.

There was no messaging about a shipping delay on the site, anyone have any relatively recent experience on how long it should take?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Chikimiki posted:

Which one is it? I'll may make a trip over the border if that's the case :v:

It's media markt, looks to be sold out already tho.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Incessant Excess posted:

It's media markt, looks to be sold out already tho.

The non XL is €200 off too. 799 -> 600.99.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Wonder if they expected higher demand than what they got, in Germany at least.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Tivac posted:

Went and fondled a Pixel 2 XL in the local Verizon store. The display unit didn't exhibit any obvious backlight/grain issues and the blue shift is really minor. I also held my Pixel 1 up next to it and the size difference is surprisingly small. So I went and bought a 64GB Black 2 XL from the Google Store (for trade-in/$100 credit) last night!

gently caress me that was a lot of money for a phone. Keeping all my fingers crossed that I get one of the good screens.

There was no messaging about a shipping delay on the site, anyone have any relatively recent experience on how long it should take?

I ordered mine Tuesday. It's arriving today.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Logan 5 posted:

Well update on the weird charging problem I had a few pages ago (pixel 2 non-xl). I would get the system notification that a USB device was plugged in at all times when nothing at all was plugged in, but actually plugging in a charging cable meant either A) the notification goes away but the device doesn't charge or B) I can manually switch to charge if the notification still appears, and then it finally charges (but occasionally just stops and then rinse repeat all the above).

So pretty annoying. Removed all apps, reset in safe mode, checked the usb settings in dev mode, and finally factory reset; same problem. Talked to google support and will RMA. Kinda bummed, everything worked so perfectly until a week ago.

a similar thing happened to me on both my HTC One M7 and Evo 3D...it was definitely a damaged USB port in both those cases.

Actually, until this post I had kinda forgotten the Evo 3D was a thing. With tons of dual-lens phones coming out, how long until someone tries a 3D camera again? As gimmicky as it was, it was actually cool as gently caress. And my food photography never looked so good.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends

bull3964 posted:

Looks like this year they shipped the phones too fast because they can't process the trade ins fast enough. This is a message I just got.

Also got this email. They've had my phone for close to a month now. While I didn't purchase the Pixel2 banking on a credit, I've seen enough complaints on Reddit to know quite a few people did and this is pretty lovely.

//edit

Funny timing I just got my full credit email with credit coming in 2-5 business days

manwithoutskin fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 1, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

My Nexus 5X just started bootlooping this morning and I hate everything.

At least it looks like the Pixel 2 sale is at a fortuitous time (too fortuitous maybe :tinfoil: ) but that still doesn't help me with getting hosed over by 2FA today. I can no longer trust the reliability of my current phone but is there a way to maybe get it to boot one last time so I can take care of all this authentication/account stuff

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

At least it looks like the Pixel 2 sale is at a fortuitous time (too fortuitous maybe :tinfoil: ) but that still doesn't help me with getting hosed over by 2FA today. I can no longer trust the reliability of my current phone but is there a way to maybe get it to boot one last time so I can take care of all this authentication/account stuff

https://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-5x/help/bootloped-hw-please-try-t3505392

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Thanks. It seems like complaining about things on the internet producing effects in the real world also applies to phones because after a thousand boot cycles the Nexus 5X has decided to work again.

I still think I'm gonna buy a Pixel 2 though

Edit: Well, it lasted like 45 seconds

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 1, 2017

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Actually wondering which will come first, my Panda XL, or the inevitable bootlooping of my 5x

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
If you buy a P2/P2XL from Verizon on a payment plan they'll take $300 off (spread out over the 24 device payments on a 2-year payment plan).

https://www.droid-life.com/2017/12/01/best-verizon-pixel-2-deal-december/

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

OK so I have read this and if my phone wasn't already unlocked before it started looping am I SOL? All I can do is access the bootloader from pressing Power + Vol Down

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

OK so I have read this and if my phone wasn't already unlocked before it started looping am I SOL? All I can do is access the bootloader from pressing Power + Vol Down

Looks like some people found that putting in an ziplock back and then into the freezer for 15 min allowed it to boot, something about the solder on the CPU is causing it to fail...wow. I'd suggest trying that. I know it's kind of crazy, but if it boots it boots, However you'd have to turn on OEM Unlocking which requires wiping the device.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
So I bought a Google Home from Google Express since via someone's referral I got $10 off the Black Friday price. They gave me a delivery estimate of Wednesday the 29th. Wednesday comes, I get a shipping email instead, guess its coming today, the 1st. I check the tracking number and its been updated to be delivered Monday the 4th. It's coming from Pennsylvania to Ohio.

Sorry, I have been excited for the full sized Home and I had to rant.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Looks like some people found that putting in an ziplock back and then into the freezer for 15 min allowed it to boot, something about the solder on the CPU is causing it to fail...wow. I'd suggest trying that. I know it's kind of crazy, but if it boots it boots, However you'd have to turn on OEM Unlocking which requires wiping the device.

Wow, that's crazy but I might as well give it a shot. At this point I don't care if I lose all the data on the phone or permanently cripple its processing power, but I never really thought about 2FA and how losing it has made me an un-person. I have to be more conscientious about backups and points of failure, I suppose

Edit: Well I put my phone in the freezer for two 15-minute cycles, I feel like if I do it any longer it will just brick it. I guess time to let it loop and pray

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 1, 2017

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

At least it looks like the Pixel 2 sale is at a fortuitous time (too fortuitous maybe :tinfoil: )

I just ordered two Pixel 2 XLs last night, because my husband and I each have a Nexus 6P with the early shutdown issue, and I'm paranoid that they are going to eventually develop boot loops. One of them does occasionally boot loop, but I've been ignoring it, because it will reboot about 10 times and then work fine for a month (not counting the early shutdown issue).

I kept thinking we could just limp along with these 6Ps for a while longer, but then I realized that if I miss this sale, then I might be forced to get a new phone at full price if the boot loop hits me out of the blue.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

The name is Sex Fart good sir. SEX FART

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

So I bought a Google Home from Google Express since via someone's referral I got $10 off the Black Friday price. They gave me a delivery estimate of Wednesday the 29th. Wednesday comes, I get a shipping email instead, guess its coming today, the 1st. I check the tracking number and its been updated to be delivered Monday the 4th. It's coming from Pennsylvania to Ohio.

It's smaller than I thought. But it has surprisingly decent sound for its size. I just bought a couple more to blanket my house in Google surveillance.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Edit: Well I put my phone in the freezer for two 15-minute cycles, I feel like if I do it any longer it will just brick it. I guess time to let it loop and pray

Electronics are pretty resilient to freezer temps if they're kept away from condensation in a ziploc

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
I ordered a XL 2 on 29th and Fedex has it arriving on the 4th. It shipped the next day. Also going with Fi because I wanted a reason to start using my voice number again and I like their plans.

It's been a few years since I used android, is there no answer to the Google Now bullshit? I really, really really liked that feature in the past.

Anything else crazy or weird about Fi that nobody tells you?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

ILikeVoltron posted:

It's been a few years since I used android, is there no answer to the Google Now bullshit? I really, really really liked that feature in the past.

What exactly do you mean?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Electronics are pretty resilient to freezer temps if they're kept away from condensation in a ziploc

Thanks, I tried again because of this and left it in for a half hour. This is like some Robert De Niro in Awakenings poo poo, I managed to get a few minutes of life out of it and ported over all my critical 2FA accounts to voice lines and the authenticator on my old Moto G that's been sitting in the closet (glad I didn't sell that off). Then I got distracted by "Oh, I have 2FA on Discord" and it went into the loop again. After the next round of cryotherapy I will start with all this ADB stuff.

While I've been waiting, now I'm doubting whether going all the way for the Pixel 2 is worth it. I don't take a lot of photos or play demanding games on my phone, maybe I should save 3-400 dollars and get a Moto G5 with Amazon ads or something

Edit: I couldn't finish activating ADB because I couldn't find the Build Number menu option in time and I think my body heat warmed the phone up too much, now the battery is almost drained and I have to charge it up before freezing again

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 2, 2017

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

sirbeefalot posted:

What exactly do you mean?

Not to speak for him, but I can't find words to describe how stupid it is to hide the 'Now' part behind that what? sprinkler icon thing? at the top-right-hand corner of the screen.

I know why they did it - 'here's your information, but first we want you to view a selection of articles curated by our ad partners that we think you'd be interested in' - but I still think it perfectly represents Google's attitude to development and to their users.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

spincube posted:

Not to speak for him, but I can't find words to describe how stupid it is to hide the 'Now' part behind that what? sprinkler icon thing? at the top-right-hand corner of the screen.

I know why they did it - 'here's your information, but first we want you to view a selection of articles curated by our ad partners that we think you'd be interested in' - but I still think it perfectly represents Google's attitude to development and to their users.

That was my first thought, but if they haven't used Android in a few years, that doesn't make sense as that's a newer development. I agree though, its totally regressive and I never check the personal feed anymore because of it. :(

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I got mine Wednesday. It's fine but I definitely prefer the full sized Homes. We're up to six Homes now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FYI, best buy has a two pack of full homes for $130 for today only.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/google-home-2-pack/9999290100050001.p?skuId=9999290100050001