Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

CJacobs posted:

I'm really not sure how to make Ninjutsu powerful, it always seems more like a side-utility thing to me but then I see people firing off kunai that do a billion damage and I'm just like ??????

I'd imagine stacking as much +Ninjutsu damage as possible, and equipping accessories with thrown weapon damage x2, and a ninjutsu damage bonus for whatever projectile they're looking to use. Tried to find a list of all possible armor mods, but everything I can find is pre-dlc and not really relevant at this point. There's probably more to it, but there's really very little current information about the game available online.

In summary, I'd like an answer to this as well, if someone has tried this kind of build and knows what all goes into it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Use the Hanzo set. The full bonus adds a bunch of Ninjitsu damage.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Use the Hanzo set. The full bonus adds a bunch of Ninjitsu damage.

The description on the bonus for having all 7 pieces of the set says it increases your damage in proportion to your ninjutsu power, not that it increases the damage of your ninjutsu. Unless the description on that is misleading.

Apparently I've never found the smithing text for the armor for that set, so I can't easily test it right now. I am curious though, so I'm going to try and get that text and find out for sure

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I haven't looked into it too much, but apparently there's something about Kunai that lets you really REALLY stack damage on them so between 99 DEX, gear buffs, guardian spirit buffs and any ninjitsu buffs to it you can do some ridiculous hits. But it's one of those things you only reach at the upper thresholds anyway, maybe as something to respec into? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I could see the scaling on storm kunai getting pretty out of control considering you're probably getting 3x all your modifiers and 3 backstabs per toss, normal kunai idk.

It does seem like it would be a fun way to break the game, especially if you can get enough infinite ninjitsu modifiers to go Full Kunai. But the ng++ loot game aspect of nioh is so weird, niche, vague, and poorly explained I feel I'll never know

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Yeah you can scale kunai pretty well with damage from behind. Kingos, bat guardian, kusa passive and weakness talisman should be good for ng before even rolling for more stats.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
There's double damage procs and straight up damage modifiers for kunai, plus all the ninjitus power and backstab damage. And with 2 piece iga ninja set you have infinite ninja items.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
What are the stat soft caps again?

I’m planning my first run through again and for ease of play I’m gonna go with a. Generic build until I hit soft caps and then go hard and respec full ninjutsu or full omnyo once I have my skill points up

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Most stats have a really low soft cap, like 10. Onmyo and ninjitsu capacity caps out at 30 magic/dex and 30 spirit will let you use all the guardian bonuses. Damage scaling from stats is mostly linear.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
What exactly do the elemental effects do? I understand fire and poison as a DOT and paralysis is self-explanatory, but I'm not sure exactly what wind, earth, water, and electricity do.

Also, about when will I start finding gear above the 150 mark? I'm on Way of the Strong just past the Umibozu and starting to feel like my gear is slowing me down more than anything.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Water increases damage taken, lightning slows attack/move speed, earth increases ki damage taken and wind decreases damage dealt.

I don't really know too much right now about difficulties past Way of the Strong, where I know you can get items over 150, but for WotS you need to start soul matching to get higher level gear. You'll find divines that are 150 (+1) and you need to soul match those onto other (+1) items to make them (+2) on and on until you hit (+15). That used to be the max but I think they go much higher these days, and there's a whole other tier of rarity past divine now too.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Alright, that helps. I've been using a Dragon Sword that I matched up to +4 and rolled earth on it. Guess I need to start making burner items to get the matching higher overall on my poo poo.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
Yeah, hold on to your (+X) divines for soul matching fodder and disassemble the rest for divine fragments for reforging and tempering.

Remember that soul matching costs a bit less for items within the same class, and much less if they have the same name.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Bust Rodd posted:

What are the stat soft caps again?

I’m planning my first run through again and for ease of play I’m gonna go with a. Generic build until I hit soft caps and then go hard and respec full ninjutsu or full omnyo once I have my skill points up

I think for the non-magic/dex/spirit categories it's 15.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'm at the beginning of the third region (the snowy main mission) - how should I spread my stats? I'm mostly using sword and axe because I was told it was a pretty good newbie setup.

Also, any particularly good tips? I haven't tried my hand at parrying yet.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

General tips~

It's hard to give advice on how to spread stats, honestly. This game is a lot more forgiving in terms of builds than dark souls, if you're coming to this game as someone who's played a lot of those games. You probably won't want a lot of skill for sword/axe, but other than that it depends on your play style. If you're into onmyo you'll want more magic, same with dexterity/ninjutsu. Investing into spirit will make living weapon available more often, and let you take advantage of the passives with a spirit requirement for guardian spirits.

Yokai type enemies are completely devastated by the confusion status, which is inflicted by stacking two elemental effects on them at the same time. Once inflicted, every hit they take staggers them, making them easy to combo to death. Parrying in this game is a lot like Dark Souls 1, where you want to input the command right when you would otherwise be getting hit (which is how it should be). At least, that's true for the only parrying skill I've really used, The Shrike for dual swords. IMO the only tier two elemental shot worth using is the wind one (gale shot), and it owns. A good hit instantly applies the wind debuff against larger enemies. In general, most bosses are easily taken down by applying confusion and a weakness talisman and going to town on them with living weapon. Speaking of living weapon, save the consumable soul stone items for when you really need or want living weapon, because using them charges up your living weapon gauge.

Honestly I'm not too knowledgeable about the sword or axe movesets, as those are those two weapons I've spent the least time with overall

Revins fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 30, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This is a bit of a silly question but is there any way to make status effects build up faster? A lot of the time I can't actually proc status effects because it takes too many magic casts and it drains too fast.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

This is a bit of a silly question but is there any way to make status effects build up faster? A lot of the time I can't actually proc status effects because it takes too many magic casts and it drains too fast.

You should be procing elemental status with your weapon, not witj elemental shots. Shots are useful if you need a last bump to fill the gauge and they are out of range or something.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

I've always found the basic elemental shots to be underwhelming, unless you've invested a poo poo ton into magic. For most of my first play through, I used guardian spirit talismans with either mizuchi or gyokuto to apply water/lightning respectively, and kayaku-dama to apply fire. Raiken is also very good for applying lightning (better than gyokuto honestly, but I didn't realize that till later). Having a weapon with an element that differs from that of your guardian spirit helps as well, or using an elemental talisman to apply an element to you weapon.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Just starting out and I got the "Nioh gear". How important is it to keep light armor instead of heavy in this game? I know it completely changes around between the different souls games.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

What is the easiest way of doing coop? Does picking Random Mission from the start point menu check all available missions or just the ones I have completed in the region?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:

Over There posted:

Just starting out and I got the "Nioh gear". How important is it to keep light armor instead of heavy in this game? I know it completely changes around between the different souls games.

The percentage at the top of the equipment screen is your current equip load. It goes from green to yellow to red, and basically works like Dark Souls - heavier loads slow you down and drain stamina, or ki in this case, faster.

However, unlike Souls games, in Nioh your blocking stability is directly affected by armor class. Heavier armors have much higher stability than light armors.

Generally, axes and nodachi benefit most from heavy armor but you can just do what you feel and not worry about optimizing anything. There are no trap builds in Nioh. Respeccing is cheap and equipment rains from the heavens. Just make sure you are using gear to match your level - its not really worth getting too attached to specific equipment in the early game.

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
There's also blue, or A agility.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Red agility max load fat man block anything up to and including a 100kt nuclear warhead build for me.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
If you get a Majina to do high five and you respond it doesn't do a high fiving animation with you 0/10 game.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Shima Honnou posted:

If you get a Majina to do high five and you respond it doesn't do a high fiving animation with you 0/10 game.

Last night I opened a Majina chest and a monster ambushed me at the same time. The force of the surprised startle effect threw me back enough that the enemy missed their attack on me, and then as I quickly mimicked the disappointment emote in order to avoid fighting a doppelganger and the enemy, the enemy's projectile sailed over my head. 11/10

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Whistle at every chest you see. For the elemental shots you really want the fast cast mystic art or at least the onmyo hat to make ailments stick. Another good way is a weapon that has skills with fast multi hit attacks like kusari, duals and spear.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Marogareh posted:

Whistle at every chest you see. For the elemental shots you really want the fast cast mystic art or at least the onmyo hat to make ailments stick. Another good way is a weapon that has skills with fast multi hit attacks like kusari, duals and spear.

Or just look to see if it has 2 or 3 brass brackets on the front corners. If it has 2 it's fine, if it has 3 it's a mimic.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

Or just look to see if it has 2 or 3 brass brackets on the front corners. If it has 2 it's fine, if it has 3 it's a mimic.

Which is a good thing, because the mimics are friendly.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Azran posted:

What is the easiest way of doing coop? Does picking Random Mission from the start point menu check all available missions or just the ones I have completed in the region?

Random there will use any mission you've completed in the entire game, not just a region.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If I have no idea what type of weapon I want to use yet, what stats are good/safe to buy at the start of the game? (I need to start spending or I'll just lose my souls to death)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Lone Badger posted:

If I have no idea what type of weapon I want to use yet, what stats are good/safe to buy at the start of the game? (I need to start spending or I'll just lose my souls to death)

It barely matters.

It's pretty safe to put points in spirit, onmyo magic, and ninjutsu (whatever stat gives you those points, dex, I think?), since those skills are all pretty weapon independent but have indispensable utility. Once you get a feel for what weapons you want to focus on, you can pick what stats have the best synergy between them.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Snak posted:

It barely matters.

It's pretty safe to put points in spirit, onmyo magic, and ninjutsu (whatever stat gives you those points, dex, I think?), since those skills are all pretty weapon independent but have indispensable utility. Once you get a feel for what weapons you want to focus on, you can pick what stats have the best synergy between them.

Is it okay if I start grabbing the universal passive skills on the skill trees, even if I'm not actively using those weapons? Can I reassign those points if I respec?

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Yes and it's what I always do every time I constantly respec.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I feel waaay too fragile in this game. A single flubbed combo means death and being set back 10-15 minutes.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Yeah, unless you go full heavy armor and invest a lot of points into body, certain enemy types can kill you pretty quick. There's plenty of shortcuts worked into every area, and you really shouldn't be ashamed to just run past everything to get back to where you just died, because otherwise it can get tedious.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Really digging this level in the KINKI region with the Nue in the pit.

:shepface:: "Hey, let's make them fight a fast boss with large, hard to dodge AoE attacks that can kill the player in 1-2 hits, then make him fight the thing in a pit the size of a walk-in closet."

:cawg:: "GREAT IDEA. Let's make it take a couple minutes to walk back to it and put several enemies in the way, too! And just as much, if not more, health!"

:rock:: "OKAY!"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
You can run back and not fight anything in twenty seconds.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I can't remember but it might be linked to the crystal in the pit. You could wait for it to walk away a bit since I remember it moves around and doesn't automatically aggro when you step in, rush to the crystal and hit that poo poo with some iai attacks.

Otherwise sloth and weakness it then slap it in the chest when it lights up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Shima Honnou posted:

I can't remember but it might be linked to the crystal in the pit. You could wait for it to walk away a bit since I remember it moves around and doesn't automatically aggro when you step in, rush to the crystal and hit that poo poo with some iai attacks.

Otherwise sloth and weakness it then slap it in the chest when it lights up.

You have to kill it to be able to damage the crystal faster than it can regenerate.