Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

The Sandman posted:

I don't recall it ever being brought up in Automata, but IIRC it continues from Ending E of Nier. Which was this weird sidestory thing involving the tree-computer bringing Brother Nier back.

I don’t think that’s true since that story had Emil back as himself hanging out and our Emil is from the lost in the desert into fighting aliens continuity.

Wasn’t calling that story ”Ending E” inaccurate anyway? It was just a novella taking place after Ending D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

The Sandman posted:

I don't recall it ever being brought up in Automata, but IIRC it continues from Ending E of Nier. Which was this weird sidestory thing involving the tree-computer bringing Brother Nier back.

From which ending doesn't even matter. Nier being reborn doesn't matter. All that matters is that the shadow lord expires.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Caught up and lol at anyone who feels sad about Pascal or Yoko Taro games. The tragedy is so over-the-top that you have laugh.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I’m not jaded enough to avoid getting sad. Even the crazy sappy dog story from Nier got to me

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Caught up and lol at anyone who feels sad about Pascal or Yoko Taro games. The tragedy is so over-the-top that you have laugh.

Yeah, emotions, right?

What kind of sucker feels things? Jaded disconnect from everything is the only way to win at life.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, emotions, right?

What kind of sucker feels things? Jaded disconnect from everything is the only way to win at life.

Emotions are prohibited.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, emotions, right?

Amusement is an emotion.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Every now and again I click on BOTL's post to see what's hidden by that "jerk detected" and every single time it proves to be a mistake.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
At least he's not the guy, whoever that was, way back at the start of the thread who was all "Look like humans, talk like humans, feel pain and hope and despair like like humans. Not actually humans? I CAN'T EMPATHIZE WITH THIS AND YOU'RE WEIRD IF YOU DO :reject:"

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Yeah I cracked up pretty bad at the kid bot suicide pact. I knew something was going to happen to them because it's Yoko Taro but that was just too much.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Parts Kit posted:

Yeah I cracked up pretty bad at the kid bot suicide pact. I knew something was going to happen to them because it's Yoko Taro but that was just too much.

maybe in that instance
But I'd find it pretty rough to laugh at a lot of other scenes like what happened with 2B and 6O

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The children suiciding was a bit over the top, but I remember recoiling in horror when Pascal was selling their parts

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Zoe posted:

Just caught up on the last two updates.

This was genuinely horrifying and yet I couldn't stop laughing.

But holding Devola and Popola's monumental screw up against all the other androids who just happen to look like them even several thousand years later seems a bit unfair. It does leave me wondering just what version of the Gestalt/Replicant stuff the current androids all got though, it seems they'd mostly have been concerned with the aliens and the safety of the imaginary humans on the moon.

It's even better though when you think about it.

Devola and Popola are being blamed for the entirety of Project: Gestalt going pear-shaped because the androids have an incomplete record of events...

...because you erased Murder-dad from existence (and presumably the Shadowlord with him)

So, good on you for getting 100% completion in Nier: g/r. You imbecile. You loving moron. :yokotaro:

edit: someone else had the same conclusion I did, whatevs.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Dec 1, 2017

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
To be fair the Devola and Popola from that game were huge screw-ups for even letting Nier get as far as he did

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I get the impression the android command Illuminati knows the deal but androidkind can be just as petty as humanity about finding and tormenting scapegoats

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Danaru posted:

The children suiciding was a bit over the top, but I remember recoiling in horror when Pascal was selling their parts

I had the opposite reactions. I stopped scrolling for a minute on that close-up of Pascal about to see the corpses, because clearly something awful was about to happen, and I even got a little teary-eyed watching the video. But Pascal's shop gave me a rueful chuckle and a lingering grin. :allears: :yokotaro:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DeafNote posted:

To be fair the Devola and Popola from that game were huge screw-ups for even letting Nier get as far as he did

They could have headed off the entire tragedy at basically any point, but didn't because they were too busy with wine and song.

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011

Tunicate posted:

They could have headed off the entire tragedy at basically any point, but didn't because they were too busy with wine and song.

To be fair their drunk singing is incredible.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

It's been a while since I read the LP, but wasn't Project Gestalt basically collapsing at that point because the Replicants had developed personalities? I feel that Devola and Popola's whole plan was a Hail Mary pass from the very beginning.

Sadly the Hail Mary resulted in a Pick-Six worthy of :romo:, but that's what sometimes happens in a desperation play.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Replicants attaining consciousness, the Shadowlord stopped providing the "keep Replicants from going berserk" poo poo and kidnapping Yonah. There were a bunch of catastrophe curves that Devola and Popola were trying to get ahead of.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

To be fair even Shadowlord was kinda justified finally deciding "gently caress this" and taking matters into his own hands having sat in an abandoned audience hall for hundreds of years being told "yeah sit tight we'll cure Yonah some day"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

This thread was just having a massive debate about whether a mind-wiped Pascal would go on to make the same mistakes and now you're all confused that people would blame an entire series of identical androids because one pair of them screwed up?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Yes.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's the exact same situation. They're identical, at their base state, to the one that screwed up. They're not people, they're machines, they're equipment. Look at that Samsung phone that started catching fire recently, sure yours might not have caught fire but you wouldn't walk around with it in your pocket all day because it's the exact same model as all those other phones that did, and what if...

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Dabir posted:

It's the exact same situation. They're identical, at their base state, to the one that screwed up. They're not people, they're machines, they're equipment. Look at that Samsung phone that started catching fire recently, sure yours might not have caught fire but you wouldn't walk around with it in your pocket all day because it's the exact same model as all those other phones that did, and what if...

They are unlikely to screw up again in that particular way, though, and could be allocated to positions outside of project administration, as has been done.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Dabir posted:

well a phone doesnt benefit from 'learning'
which I assume is the least these android AIs are capable of

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Dabir posted:

Way to totally miss the entire point of a story about humanity in synthetic beings, agency and existential angst.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's how the other characters in their world see them. Hell Popola and Devola in Nier didn't seem to think they had souls.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

edit: eh, not feeling like internet arguing

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dabir posted:

No, they're androids.

Machines are the enemy. They have nothing in common with human made androids, and suggesting otherwise is treason.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Dabir, I like you, but you're kinda missing the point here. That was not *this* set of Devola/Popola. They're being blamed for something that they, this unique pair of Devola/Popola, did not do.
The "cellphones catching fire" argument is dumb; your cellphone doesn't have the ability to think and hope for things to get better. It can't feel bad for the other models catching fire, and feel guilt for being the same model.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Dabir posted:

It's how the other characters in their world see them. Hell Popola and Devola in Nier didn't seem to think they had souls.
Hell Popola will be the protagonist of Nier 3.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
If they'd told NieR how to cure Yonah he would have dunked Weiss into Noir so hard it would put 9S to shame.

Cuveball Sliders
Oct 9, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

No, I don't think they've mentioned that

(hint hint)

I haven't played the game, so don't take any of my posts as spoilerish. I can edit it anyway if it is a problem

Dabir posted:

I get what you're trying to say. It's like Muslims in America, a lot of people (including some in my family) can't get past the actions of the few and see that individuals are highly complex and unique, and just reduce everyone in the group to them.

In short, androids are racist against certain models instead of certain colors. Makes me wonder if there will be a pariah character descended from YorHa in the next game.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

popola and devola are being treated the same way you'd treat twin clones of hitler

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tunicate posted:

popola and devola are being treated the same way you'd treat twin clones of hitler

But nobody has a gun bigger than Superman. Or even a ridiculous Santa beard!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Dabir, I like you, but you're kinda missing the point here. That was not *this* set of Devola/Popola. They're being blamed for something that they, this unique pair of Devola/Popola, did not do.
The "cellphones catching fire" argument is dumb; your cellphone doesn't have the ability to think and hope for things to get better. It can't feel bad for the other models catching fire, and feel guilt for being the same model.

Yeah, I know that, and you know that, but in-universe, that's how they're seen. Obviously these two can't destroy the Gestalt project again and double doom humanity, but as far as anyone else is concerned, they don't know the details, they just know that Devola And Popola hosed Up. If one Devola and Popola had the capacity to gently caress Up, then these two do too.

chiasaur11 posted:

No, they're androids.

Machines are the enemy. They have nothing in common with human made androids, and suggesting otherwise is treason.

Yes machine as in mechanical device, not as in machine lifeform. I was going to say 'parts' and compare it to a defective model of airplane bolt or something but I went with the phone thing instead.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

McFetusBurger posted:

I get what you're trying to say. It's like Muslims in America,

lmfao gently caress

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
To be honest while I like Popola and Devola, the idea that the originals somehow "screwed up" has never really sat well with me, and it's mainly because of how the first Nier was written. The two didn't make a mistake anywhere, they just randomly decided to make a plan that blatantly did the exact opposite of what they wanted because ?? and putting a spotlight on that doesn't really make it seem any less stupid. In fact it just reminds me of how little sense any of that made, and also that Grimoir Noir sounded like the evilest person ever for absolutely no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

At no point did they ever attempt to stop Nier loving everything up or explain what was going on. The one time they get off their asses towards the end of the game it's way too late to talk Nier down.

E: like, yes there's probably nothing they could've done to stop it but they could've, y'know, tried instead of shrugging and sitting in the start town all game long :v:

• Locked thread