Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Sounds like a great topic for an anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

fart simpson posted:

You could do it. You have big obesity man boobs and you’re still a virgin

don't sign your posts

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Bloodnose posted:

don't sign your posts

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

ladron posted:

my imagination and this bottle of lotion say different, mister

Lol if you retain enough sensitivity to get off without sandpaper. Learn to death grip, scrub

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Bloodnose posted:

don't sign your posts

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

LimburgLimbo posted:

Lol if you retain enough sensitivity to get off without sandpaper. Learn to death grip, scrub

theres a reason wet and dry was invented

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
I have to go to Shenzhen in January. What do I ask my driver to take me to for fun? I'm staying at the Mission Hill resort. It's got golf but I hate golf.

I want to be yelled at by some locals.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

French Canadian posted:

I have to go to Shenzhen in January. What do I ask my driver to take me to for fun? I'm staying at the Mission Hill resort. It's got golf but I hate golf.

I want to be yelled at by some locals.

Hong Kong

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Did that last time and I'd do it again but if I don't fly into/out of HK it's a little trickier given my free time allotment.

Mongmonghi
Mar 1, 2006

LMBO LOOK AT DAT FUKKEN METEOR
Yo since the wechat group on OP is expired, any goons on Shanghai feel free to add me (ID : Mongmonghi)

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Mongmonghi posted:

Yo since the wechat group on OP is expired, any goons on Shanghai feel free to add me (ID : Mongmonghi)

oh right you were asking about apartment prices a couple of months ago; are you in shanghai now?

Mongmonghi
Mar 1, 2006

LMBO LOOK AT DAT FUKKEN METEOR

LentThem posted:

oh right you were asking about apartment prices a couple of months ago; are you in shanghai now?

Yup I live in Dapuqiao line 9 now all good if you want to add me on wechat my ID is the same as my nickname

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
https://twitter.com/paulmidler/status/935422163212836864?s=17
Sorry if it has been posted before.
I liked his previous book ‘poorly made in china’, and I’ll probably buy this one, though I’ll wait for the audiobook.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

mrfart posted:

https://twitter.com/paulmidler/status/935422163212836864?s=17
Sorry if it has been posted before.
I liked his previous book ‘poorly made in china’, and I’ll probably buy this one, though I’ll wait for the audiobook.

I think the problem here is going to be that almost anyone that posts in this thread, and has any extensive experience with regards to China, already knows what's wrong with China. I guess I might check it out at some point, I dunno

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

LimburgLimbo posted:

Problem is Japan has just a few types of tea really. Maybe some tea nerd will come lecture me on the subtle differences or of a bunch of obscure varieties, but you can really only get, what, green tea, mugicha, genmaicha, then it becomes Chinese or Western teas.

But re: Chinese tea: wulong is everywhere in Japan; versus China where you've usually got to go to an actual tea shop to find the drat stuff. Some xiaodians have Suntory (lol!) branded bottled wulong, but that's it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

VideoTapir posted:

But re: Chinese tea: wulong is everywhere in Japan; versus China where you've usually got to go to an actual tea shop to find the drat stuff. Some xiaodians have Suntory (lol!) branded bottled wulong, but that's it.

Uh

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

VideoTapir posted:

what kind of tea are you looking for I seem to see 乌龙 everywhere.

Also lol: https://news.cgtn.com/news/354d7a4d79637a6333566d54/share_p.html

China, a country which regularly decides to riot and loot all Japanese businesses and where signs like this are common but in reverse, is very angry about this.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Yeah I don't know what you think you're looking for but oolong tea is literally everywhere around here

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Mongmonghi posted:

Yup I live in Dapuqiao line 9 now all good if you want to add me on wechat my ID is the same as my nickname

Oh poo poo I'm like walking distance from there it's a great spot for shopping and restaurants

edit: did you end up getting roommates? I thought that area was pretty pricey if you're near the SunMoonLight shopping center

LentThem fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 29, 2017

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hey guys, visa gods be willing, I should be in HK around the end of December, including NYE.

The cheapest place to stay I found was a hostel in Ngong Ping, but it seems like it'd take like two hours to get to Kowloon or HK Island. As cheap as I am, that's not particularly appealing so I'm eyeing a place in Tsim Sha Tsui. That looks like a good urban location?

Anything worthwhile in Shenzhen I can't also do in HK? I'd probably need a separate visa for that so it'd have to be a pretty high bar. Also, I'm flying to/from Macau, so could conceivably spend almost two days there without having to get separate accommodation.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lmao yes you really ought to stay somewhere around TST or Mong Kok, or even Sham Shui Po.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Shenzhen requires a Chinese visa, Hong Kong does not. There is no reason to go to Shenzhen if you're going to HK, it's just Bad Hong Kong.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Shenzhen requires a Chinese visa, Hong Kong does not. There is no reason to go to Shenzhen if you're going to HK, it's just Bad Hong Kong.

This is correct.

kenner116
May 15, 2009
I would go to Shenzhen just for the Xinjiang food.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

kenner116 posted:

I would go to Shenzhen just for the Xinjiang food.

Dang...this looks awesome. Any restaurant recommendations?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Maybe the tea thing is local. When I was in Beijing I bought a shitload of dry tea once and used it my whole time there. When I wanted it in a bottle, though, it was still generally Suntory or nothing.

Here in Huzhou, though, supermarkets mostly don't have it. The Suntory bottled tea is less common.

You also see less coke and more pepsi here.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Oh you mean convenience store bottled iced tea lol

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There's a brand of bottled teas here that comes in like square bottles, they have green, oolong, and black tea and they're all pretty okay. No sweeteners or anything, just straight tea. It's not as good as fresh but for what it is I like it.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

VideoTapir posted:

Maybe the tea thing is local. When I was in Beijing I bought a shitload of dry tea once and used it my whole time there. When I wanted it in a bottle, though, it was still generally Suntory or nothing.

Here in Huzhou, though, supermarkets mostly don't have it. The Suntory bottled tea is less common.

You also see less coke and more pepsi here.

I wish I could find mtn dew more often to feed my goon soul.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Magna Kaser posted:

I wish I could find mtn dew more often to feed my goon soul.

t has disappeared from Thailand over the last year.
Every Malaysian 711 has shitloads in various colors.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

ladron posted:

t has disappeared from Thailand over the last year.
Every Malaysian 711 has shitloads in various colors.

In China it's weirdly regional. When I go to like Shanghai for work it's everywhere, and when I was in Qingdao it was also all over the place. In Chengdu it's like a few rando stores have it but otherwise nowhere, which really makes me buy it when I see it even though I always regret it.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Magna Kaser posted:

In China it's weirdly regional. When I go to like Shanghai for work it's everywhere, and when I was in Qingdao it was also all over the place. In Chengdu it's like a few rando stores have it but otherwise nowhere, which really makes me buy it when I see it even though I always regret it.

if you're a drinker, I highly recommend mixing the regular version with some jack daniels.
that's some fine fine drunkening.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
In Beijing 7/11 I saw this can that was Mountain Dew style and coloring but it just said like "plant based energy" on it in English and I forget the Chinese name but it wasn't Mountain Dew

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Corn syrup is plant-based energy.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Is there any China-based equivalent to Google Docs? Because Zoho is unreliable and slow to the point I can't use it. Onedrive is blocked. Baidu Pan only stores files. I'm not sure I can talk the IT department into a VPN, and it wouldn't be reliable enough for class use.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Dec 5, 2017

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Your gay

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

lol

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I remember one time I got probated for a loving week because fart Simpson wrote "lol" so I did as well and then we both got zapped for AOL speak. That was just the dumbest thing imaginable

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

My gay what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
self