Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

Every single post in this thread that goes “its my first run and I’m using Human Only Powers!” just makes me feel like I had a better childhood than the poster because I am not afraid to try new things like alien gene therapy.

The game just gives you a pretty bad vibe about the idea of taking on Typhon traits. I was like 'that is not going to end well'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the only obnoxious part about typhon runs is that there really should be a scroll-menu or something like that to navigate your powers. The current menu is really clumsy if you ever want to fire many spells in short succession.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Making your inventory part of your human upgrades and not part of your suit is why I will never do a Typhon only run

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I think part of the issue in making me think of going only human to start was the thought that the Typhon powers trivialize a bit of what's already a pretty easy game even at high difficulty settings. As it was, Combat Focus makes fighting Typhon pretty easy to set up, but combine that with Psychoshock so that they largely can't even fight back? Pretty rough.

That said, I started mixing and matching and now I am a leisurely god of death on Talos IV, so I've got that going for me.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Zushio posted:

All the talk of Terra Nova just makes me think of this ancient trailer.

https://youtu.be/DMMX_8jHK7Q

Terra Nova is a great game, but I think that trailer could have prevented me from getting it.

Hannibal Rex posted:

I'd really love to see an Arkane spin on Mirror's Edge.

I want this but you realize Arkane will give Faith rocket power grappling hooks or something right?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

double nine posted:

the only obnoxious part about typhon runs is that there really should be a scroll-menu or something like that to navigate your powers. The current menu is really clumsy if you ever want to fire many spells in short succession.

They really should let you set hotkeys to the powers as well as the weapons.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

IMJack posted:

They do? Open the scroll menu and press number keys, same as the weapon hotkeys.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

IMJack posted:

they should have CTRL/Shift+hotkeys because there are far too many weapons and powers to fit on just 10 functions.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

MikeJF posted:

The game just gives you a pretty bad vibe about the idea of taking on Typhon traits. I was like 'that is not going to end well'.
Well there's that, and the fact that people also talk up how you can break the game over your knee so I figured "why not do human only first as a challenge, to preserve some tension? There's probably only 2 endings anyway."

The latter is technically true but a bit beside the point.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

double nine posted:

they should have CTRL/Shift+hotkeys because there are far too many weapons and powers to fit on just 10 functions.

The fact that the Dark Engine let you bind any keystroke including modifiers to anything¹ is a great but underappreciated bit of UX.

¹ except psi powers in SS2 for some reason

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
To be fair by the time you get all the human traits you might want for a sneaky crit monster build (because combat is a slog and anything that ends it before it even begins is preferred) and all the utility ones like inventory space the game is on the cusp of ending and by then why not just see it through?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

MikeJF posted:

i was worried about turrets until the fifth time I came into a room to see them all knocked over

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

MikeJF posted:

I loved this element of mystery in the game and it would have hugely diminished my experience to have it spoiled. There were times when I was tempted to take Typhon powers in order to make a challenge effortless, but I always steadied my hand: "No. That's the easy, inhuman way. Who knows what could happen?"

Doesn't knowing the outcome of a risky choice lessen its impact? I'm continually surprised at how many goons jump in the thread to ask about the outcome of Typhon powers, when the game makes it clear that the player is not supposed to know at this point in the story. Otoh, I know a lot of gamers are more about min-maxing while I'm more about roleplay, so I guess its just different strokes.

the black husserl fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 30, 2017

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

the black husserl posted:

I loved this element of mystery in the game and it would have hugely diminished my experience to have it spoiled. There were times when I was tempted to take Typhon powers in order to make a challenge effortless, but I always steadied my hand: "No. That's the easy, inhuman way. Who knows what could happen?"

Doesn't knowing the outcome of a risky choice lessen its impact? I'm continually surprised at how many goons jump in the thread to ask about the outcome of Typhon powers, when the game makes it clear that the player is not supposed to know at this point in the story. Otoh, I know a lot of gamers are more about min-maxing while I'm more about roleplay, so I guess its just different strokes.

It's just a human thing. Small children want to find their Christmas presents early and their only reward is disappointment in knowing early. It's hard for most people to intentionally not know things when they realize the answer could be easily revealed.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i just wanted to fit through a gap in a security station

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

cuntman.net posted:

i just wanted to fit through a gap in a security station

Mug it up

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

vorebane posted:

Terra Nova is a great game, but I think that trailer could have prevented me from getting it.

I want this but you realize Arkane will give Faith rocket power grappling hooks or something right?

So, first person Bionic Commando?

Souplesse
May 31, 2011

Gentlemoas.

vorebane posted:

I'd play Mirror's Ex.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
You get enough neuromods to go pretty deep into both human and typhon powers. I was upgrading the wrench at the end of the game because I didn’t know what else to spend neuromods on.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Hannibal Rex posted:

I'd really love to see an Arkane spin on Mirror's Edge.

that'd be cool.

finding out about the 'one city block' idea of a game was a nice discovery for me. i don't spend lots of time thinking about videogames, but when i have thought about it i've come to a similar kind of idea of what i'd like to see in a videogame. i've talked about it particularly with friends when talking about open-world games - how i'd like something that similarly set you loose with solid core mechanics and had tons and tons of varied content but the content placed more weight on the quality of detail and story everywhere you looked, instead of something which marketed 'YxZ square kilometres!' and had collectibles and cut-and-paste quests. so i was thinking something very similar to the one city block idea, although maybe slightly larger in scale than one block.

cyberpunk 2077's my current hope for something like this. projekt red certainly has the writing chops, it seems to be focused less on huge expanses of land and to be focused on one city (from what I understand so far), and given how positively received and successful the witcher 3 was they might even make it a commercial success and you'll get people willing to put money into that type of game. i mean, we don't know the combat mechanics are going to be immersive sim-like, but i have a feeling it'll be close to one in terms of what the attraction is.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Is it ever really explained in this game why some of the dead crew have been warped by the Typhon into the grotesque corpses you see, while others appear to have died by more conventional means? I'm talking about the bodies you see in areas with high Typhon activity (not necessarily ones blown out into space or trapped in secluded areas): shouldn't they all have gotten the 'Mummy' treatment, since that seems to be how the Typhon replicate?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Maybe some were killed by non mimic Typhon?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Drunk in Space posted:

Is it ever really explained in this game why some of the dead crew have been warped by the Typhon into the grotesque corpses you see, while others appear to have died by more conventional means? I'm talking about the bodies you see in areas with high Typhon activity (not necessarily ones blown out into space or trapped in secluded areas): shouldn't they all have gotten the 'Mummy' treatment, since that seems to be how the Typhon replicate?

if they were electrocuted/burned to death (by electro/fire typhon or industrial accidents) they wouldn't be (though in the latter case they should be charcoal). Additionally, we never see humanoid typhon have the ability to reproduce by killing humans, only mimics seem to be able to do that.

Add to that suicides and human/human regular or mind-controlled combat, suffocation through exposure to vacuum, occasionally radiation, corrupted operators, gas canister explosions, goddamned cysts...

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

the real question is where the phantoms who dont have names come from

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I'm starting to hit a bit of a wall with the game after binging for almost 18 hours, but WOW I did not expect to like this game as much as I do. I bounced off hard against the last Deus Ex, System Shock 2, and Dishonored, so I wasn't comfortable trying this one until it went to $20.

And yeah, when I say I like the game, I'm saying the actual gameplay, skill building, and generally interacting with the world. All of the science fiction aspects of the story have me going "uh-huh, sure, if you say so" at nearly every turn, and all the minor character interactions are more interesting than the main story. At this point, I'm just playing the game to see the next environment or enemy ambush. Haven't messed around with Typhon powers, though, but I feel confident I'll take a break after this playthrough and start over with a fresh character.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Grey Fox posted:

Haven't messed around with Typhon powers, though, but I feel confident I'll take a break after this playthrough and start over with a fresh character.

You should, for the original Cuphead experience.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

cuntman.net posted:

the real question is where the phantoms who dont have names come from

Probably the green suited station visitors.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Drunk in Space posted:

My theory is that the Weavers can't make Phantoms out of corpses that have been brainsucked by Mimics. The drive isn't 100% reproduction, or else it would be nothing but Mimics making more Mimics and not investing resources into Phantoms and evolved Mimic forms.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

uh i think they can though

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

IMJack posted:

My theory is that the Weavers can't make Phantoms out of corpses that have been brainsucked by Mimics. The drive isn't 100% reproduction, or else it would be nothing but Mimics making more Mimics and not investing resources into Phantoms and evolved Mimic forms.

Weavers make phantoms out of any body they find.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Dyz posted:

Weavers make phantoms out of any body they find.

They're not special I can do that too :colbert:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Beat the game, it was pretty fun. The only thing I didn't like is the endings are like 30s long total. I guessed I was a Typhon like right away in the game. And I figured it was a simulation because they kept talking about a sim/going into a sim and I took Alex's escape pod early to see what it did. It looks like they left it open for another game too.

I like the part where the doctor told me not to talk to Dahl, even though I never spoke a single word during my alien killing rampage.

The music annoyed me and all the sounds when the bad guys see you, trying to add scare value.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Dec 2, 2017

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

vorebane posted:

This game already exists, is called Cloudbuilt, and kicks rear end.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Tenzarin posted:

The music annoyed me and all the sounds when the bad guys see you, trying to add scare value.

Wow, I thought the sound direction was flawless but then I absolutely love synthwave.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ThomasPaine posted:

Wow, I thought the sound direction was flawless but then I absolutely love synthwave.

There was this one part of the music that has a high pitch like when you get attacked, I would stop and look around for bad guys when it would come on. Other than that one part I hardly remember the music now.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

About the cook... I tracked him to an escape pod and he was all pathetic and trying to figure out to launch the pod. I disarmed a trap next to him and he switched tones, starts laughing, says stuff about us being over, and just DIES.

Did I break some scripting or does it just...do that?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
It does that no matter what. It's a real low point in one of the game's longest quests.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Oh geez that's funny and terrible at the same time.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

ThomasPaine posted:

I do love Synthwave, but a lot of the soundtrack felt more like a background than something that made me pay attention and love it. The music from the opening helicopter ride is amazing though, and I definitely remember that. As a bonus, that track is apparently called "Everything is going to be okay" which is pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
I really like all the little vignettes you hear throughout the game. Mick Gordan did a good job imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDtoaq2wkm0