Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gravity has a super satisfying sound but I honestly think it needs some kind of buff. It's otherwise just a shittier Holy on a class with more mana issues and less DPS options to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Nah, I'm on Excalibur with most of the other NA goons.

Oh, okay! Your character looks a lot like someone who helped me with my Hunting Log yesterday!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Actually speaking of this event have they put in a snurble minion yet?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Congratulations, that may very well be the best-looking glamour involving the Proto Ultima Mesh I've seen.

Also, you can adjust those sliders with arrow keys on kb+m.

Thank you! I got the idea from this one (which is how I learned you can use Bone White to colormatch) but I always liked full-face helmets more than the visors and there was no way in hell I was going to grind out the 275 anima. Afterwards I realized it looks kinda like Cruise Chaser/EDD, which is a nice bonus.

(The arrow keys seem to just move the camera for me, unfortunately.)

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

vOv posted:

(The arrow keys seem to just move the camera for me, unfortunately.)

Try the arrows on the Numpad.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

ruta posted:

Actually, the only 20 second card is a DPS card. It's Spear. Dubious as to why this is, but not really surprising considering all the little things wrong with AST.

How to use cards in a 4-man dungeon is very overcomplicated because there's no one-answer-is-best solution. All routes lead to "you'd be better off as a WHM" though; you'll never buff enough to make up the pDPS deficit in AoE. But anyway, there are basically cases for everything depending on your cooldowns and the DPS jobs with you. In 8-man, you basically want the AoE effect at all times, and the best card priority go in the order of Balance > Arrow > Spear, with one estimating that Spear is about half the potency increase of Balance (before the time penalty), and Arrow is somewhere in the middle. But in a 4-man, being two DPS alone and AST's abysmal personal DPS, you might actually get a better DPS boost by gambling on Lord of Crowns than burning an AoE card. It depends on the situation.

I'd say as a general rule, use the first DPS card you get and don't Royal Road at all unless you have a Balance held. It might be a decent rule to just burn all Spears you get, because they are the worst DPS card and have the best 4-man RR effect, but I'd argue that for some classes (like Bard), Spear is worth more if you can get it on the pull. You are best served using Time Dilation on a 150% Balance, but a single use Balance is your next best option. There's an argument for AoE Balance if you have Celestial Opposition up. Probably your ideal use of Celestial Opposition is with a complicated use of Lightspeed, single use cards, and Sleeve Draw gambling, though.

AST is better enough than WHM in 8+man anything that I'm ok with this, honestly

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Try the arrows on the Numpad.

My keyboard doesn't have one of those :( I'll just have to look for key bindings and bind it to something else.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Just give AST a genuine aoe instant heal my god that's all I want. And buff Diurnal Aspected Helios it annoys the crap outta me that it's sorta weaker than med 2. (It's weaker after 2 ticks iirc)

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
earthly star is the best instant in the game, so

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
How much does Earthly Star scale on stats? I think it acts as a pet, but I'm not sure how much they scale either.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

How much does Earthly Star scale on stats? I think it acts as a pet, but I'm not sure how much they scale either.

Earthy Star works on the same rules as Shadow Flare and Salted Earth in that it's an AoE spell with a targeted area that drops a buff in your bar. Thus it scales pretty much the same as every other spell.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Reiterpallasch posted:

earthly star is the best instant in the game, so

Especially if you let it cook to it's second more powerful form

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Yeah, but that requires hard things like foresight and planning. =P

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I will admit to instantly popping one as soon as it went down a few times.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

EponymousMrYar posted:

Earthy Star works on the same rules as Shadow Flare and Salted Earth in that it's an AoE spell with a targeted area that drops a buff in your bar. Thus it scales pretty much the same as every other spell.

Neat. I don't know why I thought it scaled like pets.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Neat. I don't know why I thought it scaled like pets.

probably because it doesn't quite appear like other ground affect aoes and it's in general a really weird skill.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Is Shadow Flare actually good? I use it when it’s available, but I’m not all that clear on how much it helps my DPS.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's free damage with no cost, at the very worst.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Yeah there's no good reason not to drop it if whatever you are targeting isn't moving.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Had the chance to look, so here are some numbers.

A full shadowflare is 250 potency to everything it hits, if it takes the whole dot.
A miasma is 300 potency on one target.
A bio 2 is 35 on one target.

It's a little bit weaker than your other dots, but it deals the damage faster, it's aoe, instant cast, and free. As long as the targets aren't moving much, it's pretty worthwhile.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

EponymousMrYar posted:

Its an ability not a spell isn't it?

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

Sade posted:

AST is better enough than WHM in 8+man anything that I'm ok with this, honestly

I'm sorry to break this to you, but AST is only better than WHM for DPS in 8-mans if your group is at least as good as you as far as DPS parses go.

I complain about ASTs a lot, and while I'd be happy to get a nice 10 potency Malefic buff, where most of its problems exist is in the more casual realm. Its pDPS is just so dismal, ASTs usefulness compared to other healers basically hinges entirely on if the rest of the group is good. At the same time, the way their MP management works and the nature of the cards and their cooldowns is such that players new to AST aren't going to do well with the job, either. It's just the kind of job that is really only a good choice in a very tiny niche, and I think that's too bad.

As a final note, ASTs definitely don't need help in their healing kit,. It's their card system and pDPS that probably needs some reworking.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

hobbesmaster posted:

Its an ability not a spell isn't it?

The only thing that affects is whether it's on the GCD or not and even then it's just semantic shorthand. In terms of stats and scaling that has nothing to do with it.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

EponymousMrYar posted:

The only thing that affects is whether it's on the GCD or not and even then it's just semantic shorthand. In terms of stats and scaling that has nothing to do with it.

It also affects whether or not silence stops you using it.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
and also, y'know, whether it's affected by largesse

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
and heals warriors in tank stance for extra

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Housing glitches are kind of cool, I can sit outside and admire my poor lawn decisions

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Move Gravity to level 45.
Give AST Malefic 1 back.
Tell newbie ASTs to stop healing 4 mans in Nocturnal Stance.

imo

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Move Gravity to level 15.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd accept that too, but at 45 it'd have parity with Holy which is more reasonable...

So let's move both to 15.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Reiterpallasch posted:

and also, y'know, whether it's affected by largesse

I was about to mention that, but then I remembered the sweet potency bonus to shadow flare I'd be missing by not being able to use largesse on it.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
Malefic 1? Do you mean Stella? Some people think Stella should be brought back as AST's Ruin 2 analogue by making it instant. It also had a potency of 100. This would be to help with the clipping problem. Oh, or maybe you meant Combust I? I guess it'd help DPS slightly, and the 18 second duration would be nicer to work with, but I don't think it's really what ASTs are looking to get.

Making gravity 45 wouldn't really fix AST's 4-man issues, though it would go a long way in making level 50 dungeons less of a slog. May as well give all jobs some AoE at a low level and let all melee have their full combos by level 20 while you're at it, though.

Moderate changes ASTs are looking for are more along the lines of making clipping less of an issue, making the card cooldowns more forgiving, and having an additional MP return source.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Rhymenoserous posted:

Especially if you let it cook to it's second more powerful form
And when that happens make sure to indom as the sch to assert your dominance

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ruta posted:

Malefic 1? Do you mean Stella? Some people think Stella should be brought back as AST's Ruin 2 analogue by making it instant. It also had a potency of 100. This would be to help with the clipping problem. Oh, or maybe you meant Combust I? I guess it'd help DPS slightly, and the 18 second duration would be nicer to work with, but I don't think it's really what ASTs are looking to get.

Making gravity 45 wouldn't really fix AST's 4-man issues, though it would go a long way in making level 50 dungeons less of a slog. May as well give all jobs some AoE at a low level and let all melee have their full combos by level 20 while you're at it, though.

Moderate changes ASTs are looking for are more along the lines of making clipping less of an issue, making the card cooldowns more forgiving, and having an additional MP return source.

Whatever they call the AST dot. Combust I think now you mention it.

Basically, let them have two dots.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Is there a way to show off skills using /gpose?

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

it will be the default gpose if it's the last battle skill you used iirc

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
Yeah, having Combust 1 would be nice, but it wouldn't really produce any real signifiant DPS increase. It's 20 potency higher than M3, I think.

While personal DPS is a real issue with AST, the fact of the matter is that, the way the cards are set up, it's going to be very difficult for them to ever balance rDPS potential and pDPS potential in 4-man and 8-man situations unless they make the royal road effects change for the two different situations. Overall, I am extremely disappointed that they didn't take SB as a chance to re-exam their card system at all to make it one they could more easily balance, or one in which their goals for the card system are obvious for players. At the very least, they could have brought the Draw cooldown reset from PvP into PvE. If their goal for SB really was to lower the gap between experienced and less experienced players, maintaining the Draw cooldown as-is is illogical. The less experienced players are the ones that are punished for not being able to decide what to do with a card in under 2 seconds. The experienced AST isn't really damaged by the cooldown situation, but having it changed would serve as a QoL buff because it would allow them to interact with Spread more easily.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
So is everyone in the new expac areas? The ARR areas are ghost towns

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kashuno posted:

So is everyone in the new expac areas? The ARR areas are ghost towns

Outside of city hubs like Limsa, endgame tome areas, most zones are ghost towns, FATEs don't get done anymore because there are better ways to level easily now. The latest daily areas are generally active around reset time.

Stormblood areas aren't an exception to areas being mostly empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Except when it's time for a hunt zerg.