Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

While we're talking about WW, Jenkins spoke a bit about WW2 with Variety

http://variety.com/2017/film/podcasts/playback-podcast-patty-jenkins-wonder-woman-1202615293/

Seems too derivative for may tastes.

She really doesn't have the balls to do anything subversive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

viral spiral posted:

:thunk:

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

She articulated in her own words that she's pursuing a traditional superhero film formula (and another love story!), numbnuts.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

e: post too ambiguous to live

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Is an oversimplification of course, but her words do read like "WW2 will be WW but we changed germans for russians!"

A promise I don't find particularly exciting.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

C'mon, tell me you don't want to see how a big-budget superhero film released in 2019 attempts to portray the Soviet Union.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Is an oversimplification of course, but her words do read like "WW2 will be WW but we changed germans for russians!"

A promise I don't find particularly exciting.

Well, the first movie wasn't particularly exciting either. I can't imagine anyone being super hyped for another WW.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Trevor

I was close.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

If Wonder Woman 2 is in modern day, the enemy should be The Bernie Bros.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jimbot posted:

If Wonder Woman 2 is in modern day, the enemy should be The Bernie Bros.

I don't know that Wonder Woman pursuing an enemy that wasn't actually responsible for any of society's ills needs to be a persistent theme in her movies.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

viral spiral posted:

viral spiral posted:

She articulated in her own words that she's pursuing a traditional superhero film formula (and another love story!), numbnuts.

Gal Gadot's been vocal about pushing for Diana's love interest in the second movie to be a woman. I really doubt DC has the guts to green-light that, but I appreciate the thought.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

I don't know that Wonder Woman pursuing an enemy that wasn't actually responsible for any of society's ills needs to be a persistent theme in her movies.

Joking aside, if they want to bring real world poo poo into the films then they should go for broke and have the US government be the villain. It's the plot in Suicide Squad hooked me and despite the mess the state of that film was in, it still kept the overall message of how the government loses control of situations and makes things actively worse.

Cythereal posted:

Gal Gadot's been vocal about pushing for Diana's love interest in the second movie to be a woman. I really doubt DC has the guts to green-light that, but I appreciate the thought.

We'll get this during the 3rd reboot, the post-for real this is going to be awesome this time unlike the last burning heap Flashpoint event honest guys Flashpoint 2 universe. Except the downside this Diane will be played by a white woman from the San Fernando valley.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

euphronius posted:

Steve Bannon - the most honest man in the movie

Alright, these DC movies really are officially getting too grim for me.

viral spiral posted:

I assume it was just a joke about the choice of words - "she doesn't have the balls."

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

josh04 posted:

Eh, I still haven't got round to watching the extended version in full. My inclination is that unmuddying the waters around what was Lex and what was people acting on their worst instincts probably detracts from the verisimilitude. Real people are messy.

I'm still having my black-and-white cut of the film vetted, but I've eliminated any reference to whether or not Wally was or was not complicit in the capital bombing. You still have Lex blocking his checks, but there's none of that poo poo about lead-lined wheelchairs or Lois investigating his pad.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I don't mind Lois's discovery that Wally wasn't knowingly a suicide bomber. The issue with the lead in the wheelchair is that it's better if it really is that Superman didn't even think to look.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There's an interesting debate of if he even should look. Should he be a functioning TSA and x-ray everything in his sight at all times? Isn't that a massive violation of privacy? He'd have no reason to think this guy had a bomb.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

There's an interesting debate of if he even should look. Should he be a functioning TSA and x-ray everything in his sight at all times? Isn't that a massive violation of privacy? He'd have no reason to think this guy had a bomb.

No, I agree, and most importantly, so, in theory, would the senator that called him there to testify. But that debate is more meaningful if he would have found it if he would have looked.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Right. It's a lot like the shanking of the sex trafficker in the Metropolis prison. We already get confirmation through the unmarked polaroids mailed to Clark Kent that Lex is somehow behind it. But the problem is that it's redundant. It convolutes the much more straightforward moral problem that Bruce - acting as the crypto-fascist arm of liberal democratic society - is branding people for death, that his defenders laud him for sending the worst of the worst to prison, not realizing that among the worst of the worst, there are those who feel valorized to commit more injustice. Turns out, reactionary prison gangs love Batman. He's helping them to do God's work.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The theatrical cut succinctly shows that Batman is a Blue Lives Matter guy, and the feeling is mutual. The cops openly approve of rule through fear.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

bushisms.txt posted:

It's just as good as the UC, which is redundant scenes put back in so nerds could have the plot spelled out for them. The theatrical cut had faith the viewer could concentrate on a movie past costume designs.

The problem with the TC is mostly that the movie is structured around having those spelling-the-plot-out-to-nerds scenes in there, and that taking them out makes the pacing super janky.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

K. Waste posted:

Right. It's a lot like the shanking of the sex trafficker in the Metropolis prison. We already get confirmation through the unmarked polaroids mailed to Clark Kent that Lex is somehow behind it. But the problem is that it's redundant. It convolutes the much more straightforward moral problem that Bruce - acting as the crypto-fascist arm of liberal democratic society - is branding people for death, that his defenders laud him for sending the worst of the worst to prison, not realizing that among the worst of the worst, there are those who feel valorized to commit more injustice. Turns out, reactionary prison gangs love Batman. He's helping them to do God's work.

In light of today's climate the extended actually kind of has Clark as the kind of idiot journalist who profiles a Nazi for the NYT and is like "This guy has a family just like us!?" Except obviously this guy shouldn't be executed in prison of course.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
So Armie Hammer talked about his Batman from George Miller's Justice League: Mortal:

quote:

[Batman] was a guy who is severely, psychologically, almost deranged. It was dark and it was really intense and this guy had major trust issues, the whole thing

Which is hilarious because Hammer sounds pretty miscast for that. But he'd make an excellent Adam West style Batman.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

George Miller's Justice League was basically going to be the Tower of Babel arc, right?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

George Miller should have done the Justice League reshoots.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Detective No. 27 posted:

poo poo yeah.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Detective No. 27 posted:

George Miller should have done the Justice League

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

feedmyleg posted:

Which is hilarious because Hammer sounds pretty miscast for that. But he'd make an excellent Adam West style Batman.

Nah. Hammer can't definitely play that role. It's under the surface in Social Network and his most recent film, but I think he could bring it to the forefront. He would've been great.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah, though there's unfortunately still a limit to what that would have been worth given the time constraints. Fury Road was exhaustively planned out.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

PriorMarcus posted:

Nah. Hammer can't definitely play that role. It's under the surface in Social Network and his most recent film, but I think he could bring it to the forefront. He would've been great.

He plays a violent psychotic barely holding it together in Man from U.N.C.L.E.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, though there's unfortunately still a limit to what that would have been worth given the time constraints. Fury Road was exhaustively planned out.

I don't think Miller would have added Russian family subplot. I'd miss the Dostoevsky joke, but that's about it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm sure. But I'm certain he would have made the scenes with Bruce and Alfred standing in the plane and the reshoot of Aquaman jumping in the water look better.

I'm thinking back to Fury Road and as far as action and tone, Miller has got a very similar style to Snyder. And nerds love Miller so much. I don't get it. Is it because it's supposed to be obvious that the Mad Max world sucks so there's no power fantasy being uppended?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm thinking back to Fury Road and as far as action and tone, Miller has got a very similar style to Snyder. And nerds love Miller so much. I don't get it. Is it because it's supposed to be obvious that the Mad Max world sucks so there's no power fantasy being uppended?

MRA groups were boycotting it (as they do) because Max would never be beholden to Furiosa or something, so there was at least SOME kind of power fantasy getting upended along the way.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Lobok posted:

He plays a violent psychotic barely holding it together in Man from U.N.C.L.E.

I loved his performance in that film, but to me it felt like a total cartoon character. I agree that Social Network is fairly close in some places, but that's the farthest I've seen him go and it's nowhere near what he's describing in that quote.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Electromax posted:

MRA groups were boycotting it (as they do) because Max would never be beholden to Furiosa or something, so there was at least SOME kind of power fantasy getting upended along the way.

It was interesting because I tried searching 'Wonder Woman MRA Reaction,' 'Wonder Woman Return of Kings' etc to find some sweet salt on that and there was like, nothing. I think they learned their lesson from Mad Max and Force Awakens that all they get is mocked, sadly.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

It was interesting because I tried searching 'Wonder Woman MRA Reaction,' 'Wonder Woman Return of Kings' etc to find some sweet salt on that and there was like, nothing. I think they learned their lesson from Mad Max and Force Awakens that all they get is mocked, sadly.

There were some duders throwing tantrums over a small number (one?) of special women-only showings at some luxury theaters, I guess that's tangential but also hilarious.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Cythereal posted:

This is the first time I have heard about that. It would be staggering if they genuinely went in this direction. :awesome:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Honestly I was pretty upset by the screenings for just Amazon employees

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pretty sure they would never have Wonder woman have a girlfriend because that would prevent them playing in China or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Electromax posted:

i mean, that was less a power fantasy getting upended and more self-absorbed misogynists mad that there was also a power fantasy that appealed to people besides themselves

personally i think part of it is that some people are more accepting of social criticism and opposing the status quo when it's some fantasy land with a veiled metaphor like mad max's post-apocalyptic, meanwhile bvs posits that the america we live in today could never accept superman as an unquestionable good guy until he's six feet under and only exists as a symbol to make a fake burial for

• Locked thread