Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Yeah, I wouldn't trust anything that dude says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Lobok posted:

He plays a violent psychotic barely holding it together in Man from U.N.C.L.E.

Hammer is kind of like the Coop in that he often seems to get shat on for being a one-note, pretty boy actor, but when you actually think about it has demonstrated quite sufficiently that he's very good at playing neurotic, dysfunctional, and morally dubious characters.

It's kind of a big joke, because the fact that these roles are so often not the ones that people associate with them, must mean they actually did a really good job of becoming invisible to the spectator.

I get that Hammer probably has been typecast more and hasn't had the same opportunity to stretch his legs, but someone like the Coop can be in everything from The Place Beyond the Pines to The A-Team to The Hangover to The Midnight Meat Train, and people will still be suspicious if he can pull it off if the same exact character is just wearing his underpants on the outside.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Max works perfectly well as a power fantasy: the man unburdened by social relations, who can hand out salvation or condemnation at will. When he suffers, he suffers stoically, with brave escape attempts and never giving up. When he succeeds, his enemies are driven before him. And at the end, he walks off into the sunset unburdened again.

That's far from the point of the movie, but the point of Max-as-protagonist is absolutely to welcome you in to his 'safe' perspective. Max never feels anguish.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

viral spiral posted:

This is the first time I have heard about that. It would be staggering if they genuinely went in this direction. :awesome:

According to Gadot, the scene with her and Pine on the boat was left to them to improv, and Diana's joke about men being unnecessary for pleasure was her idea. She seems fully on board with Diana being bisexual, and has talked about pushing the execs to go that way for WW2.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There are lesbians on Thymisticalla or whatever it's called.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

josh04 posted:

Max works perfectly well as a power fantasy: the man unburdened by social relations, who can hand out salvation or condemnation at will. When he suffers, he suffers stoically, with brave escape attempts and never giving up. When he succeeds, his enemies are driven before him. And at the end, he walks off into the sunset unburdened again.

That's far from the point of the movie, but the point of Max-as-protagonist is absolutely to welcome you in to his 'safe' perspective. Max never feels anguish.

Max's family is dead and their ghosts haunt him every day

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the only interesting thing steppenwolf does in all of jl is threaten compulsory heterosexuality to the amazons

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

CharlestonJew posted:

Max's family is dead and their ghosts haunt him every day

It sucks, but at least now he can spend more time with his car.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

euphronius posted:

There are lesbians on Thymisticalla or whatever it's called.

*The Mascara

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The problem with the TC is mostly that the movie is structured around having those spelling-the-plot-out-to-nerds scenes in there, and that taking them out makes the pacing super janky.
What scene? Everything is in the film that you need to know. Someone not being able to follow it for whatever reason has no bearing on the contents of the film.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't think taking those scenes out makes everything janky, but the scenes in the TC definitely needed a little more room to breathe and longer establishing shots.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Disagree on the establishing shots thing

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The Ultimate Cut isn't just redundant scenes, for instance the context of the Senate hearing goes from "Superman is here to defend himself" in the TC to "The Senator is about to expose Lex" in the UC.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The Ultimate Cut isn't just redundant scenes, for instance the context of the Senate hearing goes from "Superman is here to defend himself" in the TC to "The Senator is about to expose Lex" in the UC.

Yeah I always forget that changed. That's why I love the jar

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The jar actually works better in the UC because it's "Ha ha, you think you got me? Piss on you." Whereas in the TC he just seems really pissed (pun intended) about that turn of phrase/denial.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I need a some kind of primer on what bad is on the internet, because I've seen that movie many times, and the editing has never been an issue. It's fantastic in many cases. The action choreography in the first half of the movie is the worst from Snyder, but that's with in the scene itself and isn't presented badly other than the need to do a one take. The end is cgi standard fair, but even then it's still directed competently and with intent beyond justslamming things together.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I know people love the senate scene in the TC and that's fine, but like Megaman said, in that context he was there to defend himself. But he doesn't say a peep. I think it was a missed opportunity for them to give him some speaking lines to humanize him in front of people who don't believe actions speak louder than words.

In the UC cut I can forgive the lack of dialogue on his part because it's less about him defending himself and more about the senator setting the record straight.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Superman never gets an opportunity to speak. His attempt to defend himself blows up in his face.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

bushisms.txt posted:

I need a some kind of primer on what bad is on the internet, because I've seen that movie many times, and the editing has never been an issue. It's fantastic in many cases. The action choreography in the first half of the movie is the worst from Snyder, but that's with in the scene itself and isn't presented badly other than the need to do a one take. The end is cgi standard fair, but even then it's still directed competently and with intent beyond justslamming things together.

The movie is not at all hard to follow it's just a lot of criticism of it has basically become a meme at this point. I literally had someone link me the "Man of Steel...but in color" video once and when I explained to them that the creators purposefully made the actual movie darker they just hit me with the "Yeah but its still dark!!!". A friend of mine who liked the movie even linked me that video once because the poo poo is so prevalent that he got tricked into remembering the movie being darker than it was.

Same goes for that video where the guy says BvS "has no establishing shots". People who already didn't like the movie love to regurgitate poo poo like that like it's some sort of cutting edge criticism and have no idea that dude has no idea what he's talking about.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Detective No. 27 posted:

Superman never gets an opportunity to speak. His attempt to defend himself blows up in his face.

Right but this counteracts an actual Superman strength, when he rips open his shirt and lives up to his inner potential.

That's such an iconic and enduring image of the character for a reason. He's generally not a passive guy.

Superman's name has been dragged through the mud, he's being questioned on all sides - that Senate scene in the TC was a great moment for that aspect of the character to be pushed forward (and foreshadowed by Clark tugging on his tie). A metaphorical "ripping open the shirt and showing them you're Superman."

Instead it's subverted in a really harsh way, and his passivity seems baffling. This is a scene focused on Superman defending himself in the eyes of the public, but he never says a word. I want to stress that I have no problem with the scene's plot purposes, it's Superman's passive behavior that damages it IMO.

I feel it works better in the UC because Superman is about to be vindicated by the Senator, the action and dramatic focus is squarely on her, she's talking about Lex and not talkikng to Superman, so the scene plays so much better.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 2, 2017

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

For all you waiting for more Sabrina The Teenage Witch, her new show is moving from The CW to Netflix. Expect it to be bloodier and sexier, maybe.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

As a disclaimer I like the movie, haven't seen the video you're talking about, and thought establishing shots should have been a bit longer

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The MSJ posted:

For all you waiting for more Sabrina The Teenage Witch, her new show is moving from The CW to Netflix. Expect it to be bloodier and sexier, maybe.

Sabrina The Love Witch

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Yeah I didn't see your post before I made mine and wanted to say I wasn't referring to you in particular haha.

That's totally fair. I was mostly trying to touch on how I've seen it on facebook and elsewhere. The editing thing is the biggest culprit because I feel like a big talking point before the movie came out was that it made no sense and people went into the movie already deciding it didn't.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Jimbot posted:

I know people love the senate scene in the TC and that's fine, but like Megaman said, in that context he was there to defend himself. But he doesn't say a peep. I think it was a missed opportunity for them to give him some speaking lines to humanize him in front of people who don't believe actions speak louder than words.

In the UC cut I can forgive the lack of dialogue on his part because it's less about him defending himself and more about the senator setting the record straight.

He's going for the same reason in both. Who the bad guy is doesn't matter. Remember, the only thing that would change is that the government (Lex is untouchable according to Lois's Pentagon source from MoS) was over there as well, and Superman hosed up their operation. "The oldest lie in America is that power can be innocent." Both Superman and the American government fit this depending on where you sit.

The senator is mad she's being used, but she's double speaking to both Lex and Superman when talking about the actions they're taking with out the government's express permission. "This is how a democracy works. We talk to each other and act by the consent of the governed, sir."

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Pretty sure they would never have Wonder woman have a girlfriend because that would prevent them playing in China or something

Also gay marriage isnt legal in israel :discourse:

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Sabrina The Love VVitch

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 2, 2017

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Right but this counteracts an actual Superman strength, when he rips open his shirt and lives up to his inner potential.

That's such an iconic and enduring image of the character for a reason. He's generally not a passive guy.

Superman's name has been dragged through the mud, he's being questioned on all sides - that Senate scene in the TC was a great moment for that aspect of the character to be pushed forward (and foreshadowed by Clark tugging on his tie). A metaphorical "ripping open the shirt and showing them you're Superman."

Instead it's subverted in a really harsh way, and his passivity seems baffling. This is a scene focused on Superman defending himself in the eyes of the public, but he never says a word. I want to stress that I have no problem with the scene's plot purposes, it's Superman's passive behavior that damages it IMO.

I feel it works better in the UC because Superman is about to be vindicated by the Senator, the action and dramatic focus is squarely on her, she's talking about Lex and not talkikng to Superman, so the scene plays so much better.

Watch the scene again. Superman is allowing order to take place. He's letting the humans make with tradition of court proceedings to feel better about him in their presence. If he barged in talking about how he needs to speak and clear his name, he'd be seen as guilty and out of touch. Lex's entire plan is to keep humanity (Batman) from connecting with Clark, which would help push Clark into doing rash things like killing humans, which Lex could use as leverage to get more funding and power.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Love Witch has a piss jar so it will fit neatly into the DCU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The Love Witch has a piss jar so it will fit neatly into the DCU

Her safe word is Martha.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So is the Flash slower than an explosion? Because Superman is seemingly as fast as Flash but Superman just watched that bomb expand across that entire room. It had to be a super slow process for him.

Even Batman managed to outrun flames while he jumped across a room and covered a lady(my mistake-MARTHAAAAAA) with his cape.

So is he just stupendously incompetent? He definitely should have at least saved the piss jar.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

bring back old gbs posted:

So is the Flash slower than an explosion? Because Superman is seemingly as fast as Flash but Superman just watched that bomb expand across that entire room. It had to be a super slow process for him.

Even Batman managed to outrun flames while he jumped across a room and covered a lady(my mistake-MARTHAAAAAA) with his cape.

So is he just stupendously incompetent?

Just like every other media with a speedster, the 'superhuman reaction times' is only applicable when the writer wants it to.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

bushisms.txt posted:

Watch the scene again. Superman is allowing order to take place. He's letting the humans make with tradition of court proceedings to feel better about him in their presence. If he barged in talking about how he needs to speak and clear his name, he'd be seen as guilty and out of touch. Lex's entire plan is to keep humanity (Batman) from connecting with Clark, which would help push Clark into doing rash things like killing humans, which Lex could use as leverage to get more funding and power.

The problem here is that I believe the entire context of the scene changes in the UC and TC. Assuming I'm understanding you correctly, you don't. So we're never going to agree, and me rewatching it 20 times isn't going to change that. For example, I believe "today is a day for truth" is spoken to Superman in the TC and is spoken ABOUT Lex in the UC (you can say she's talking to both, but the focus is squarely on one or the other depending on the context, IMO).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

So is he just stupendously incompetent? He definitely should have at least saved the piss jar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOrx_hUpgdc

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Yes. Deathstroke beat The Flash once by setting off a bunch of mines right in front of him so comics canon sez Flash is slower than Baysplosions.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

The problem here is that I believe the entire context of the scene changes in the UC and TC. Assuming I'm understanding you correctly, you don't. So we're never going to agree, and me rewatching it 20 times isn't going to change that. For example, I believe "today is a day for truth" is spoken to Superman in the TC and is spoken ABOUT Lex in the UC (you can say she's talking to both, but the focus is squarely on one or the other depending on the context, IMO).

Lex isn't in the room, and she says sir specifically to Clark.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

from a writing standpoint it's really clear that the jl rewrites ignored what previous movies had defined about superman's skill-set(hence the freeze breath or how perfectly in-control and restrained his violence is against steppenwolf)

from an in-world view you can make something up about getting motherboxed back to life amplifying his superness

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

bushisms.txt posted:

She only noticed lex absence after she drinks the piss

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

bushisms.txt posted:

I meant that "day for truth" line, not her entire monologue. Also my interpretation she looks at Lex's empty chair in a panic because she's been so busy grandstanding she hasn't realized that Lex wasn't even there (this is given additional credibility when she tells Lex some variant of "I'll see you in a moment" outside of the hearing before it starts).

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Good try but that's obviously the Red Blue Blur!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

It was interesting because I tried searching 'Wonder Woman MRA Reaction,' 'Wonder Woman Return of Kings' etc to find some sweet salt on that and there was like, nothing. I think they learned their lesson from Mad Max and Force Awakens that all they get is mocked, sadly.

IDK if MRA's would be complaining that a woman doesn't have enough muscles

Most conservative outrage is pretty shallow, so I doubt many of them would dump on a WW1 valkyrie leading a charge against evil proto-nazis, even if the ultimate moral is "war bad, there is no big bad guy controlling bad habits in humanity"

• Locked thread