Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Are these Alexa/Google talkie whatever devices worth getting and why are they worth getting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can use them for smart home stuff like controlling the temperature with Nest or turning on/off lights by just talking. It probably also logs every conversation you have.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Do people even change their temperatures that often? Just pick a setting and click the on/off switch as necessary, or just get a $30 7-day scheduler thermostat and program it once

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I never even turn mine on. I guess if you live in areas that get really cold.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

colas posted:

Are these Alexa/Google talkie whatever devices worth getting and why are they worth getting?

A friend of mine as an Alexa and it can't even do simple poo poo like properly parse a request to "play some rap songs about smoking weed", so pretty garbage imho.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

colas posted:

It's completely unnecessary unless you really dig smart home things, which I find neat and can't seem to stop adding onto my house. Ultimately, they're in-house extensions of your phone's assistant. My folks have Alexa devices and I don't think it remotely compares to Google's. It does log what you search on it which will show up in your browser history, but you can delete it if you really think deleting it is actually doing something.

Long, but my personal use cases:
I use my Google Homes personally to control the lights in my home. For example, "Dim the lights in the basement to X." I also have a few smart plugs including one plugged into my Christmas tree/floor lamps etc, so I can yell anywhere in my house or out of my home at my phone to turn things on/off and schedule them on random timers when I'm away on vacation or something. I also have one near my exit as I get ready, so I can say "Good morning" and it'll tell me how long to get to my job with traffic, the weather, and whatever news I've preset from whatever outlets I choose. Plus obviously music (sound quality even on the Mini is surprisingly impressive, although obviously not as good as the big Google Home) It also does neat stuff like I can broadcast a message throughout my home, or I can ask it for directions and it'll shoot them to my phone. I have Chromecasts so I can say "Play next episode of Stranger Things on X TV" and it just does it.

The Nest Thermostat is also designed to log the amount of energy you're using and will theoretically pay for itself over time. My local energy company offers $100 rebates on them, and I'm sure a good amount do. But I also live in the frozen wasteland of New Hampshire, so. Getting into the Nest stuff in addition to thermostats, if I got the Nest Monoxide Detector, it would send an alert to every Google Home in my house (three floors) telling me to get the gently caress out and where it has detected it. Same with their security system. My friend has motion sensors that are activated on certain windows at night, and if one were to open , every single light in the house is turned on.

Tim Whatley has a new favorite as of 04:47 on Dec 2, 2017

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

colas posted:

They're neat. Being able to yell in a room "Hey google, question?" and have a voice answer you most of the time is pretty neat. I had thanksgiving with the family last weekend and could just yell Hey google, play Christmas music, and it would.

How worth it is to you is going to depend on the novelty of being able to do that and how much you're willing to invest in the rest of the home control infrastructure.

That said, I just bought a smart plug so I can command it to turn the Christmas tree on/off.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

You can use them for smart home stuff like controlling the temperature with Nest or turning on/off lights by just talking. It probably also logs every conversation you have.

My boyfriend's first job at his company was transcribing things that people asked Cortana, so yes, I can confirm that they are constantly recording your poo poo.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
really seems like that benefit/potential risk ratio is horribly off then, I'm gonna pass personally

the perks of having one seem supremely insignificant

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

H110Hawk posted:

We use this recipe, but without any beans: https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-chili/ Browning the meat is hard. I might do it in a pan next time. (I won't.) Fish sauce and cocoa powder are really key.

I am currently making this in a slowcooker and first taste test is real good.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I have a free Home coming from having upgraded my phone for black Friday, bought a set of hue lights to go with it. lights came first, and I really like them so far.

It's a google tracking device probably sure, but tbh at this point for me, it's a drop in the bucket.

Recording and notating anonymized queries is fine to me anyway, relative to recording literally everything.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, they stopped recording literally all audio a few months back.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Subjunctive posted:

Wait what, they were before?

What are they recording now? Jesus.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/google-home-mini-accidentally-listening-to-users-2017-10

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I like a lot of Google stuff, but man are they atrocious about customer privacy.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

bongwizzard posted:

A friend of mine as an Alexa and it can't even do simple poo poo like properly parse a request to "play some rap songs about smoking weed", so pretty garbage imho.

Seriously? Even my idiot roommate can handle that task. So much for a "smart" speaker.

naughty_penguin
Oct 9, 2005
Fun Shoe

bongwizzard posted:

I can confirm google home will in fact do this if that's your sticking point. Nigerian weed song smoke jumbo size by Mike Moss was its pick.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"Alexa, play my 420 playlist."

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

naughty_penguin posted:

I can confirm google home will in fact do this if that's your sticking point. Nigerian weed song smoke jumbo size by Mike Moss was its pick.

A powerful endorsement.

Also, I wanna hear that song, but the only source seems to be some sketchy streaming site, you got a link?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

colas posted:

We originally just bought one for a kitchen speaker, and it's been pretty great so we've been gradually adding echoes to wherever we hang out.

They're great speakers, and it's nice to just say "play x podcast or x music" while you're cooking and doing dishes, and also for setting kitchen timers. It sounds stupid, but hands free timers are a freaking great feature and we use it all the time.

The nest is linked, so it's nice to just be able to say turn up the heat and have it work.

Also getting a daily briefing in the morning of the weather while I'm getting dressed, and the NPR hourly newscast while I'm making coffee is pretty great. Being able to play my Spotify stuff is real nice, an soon I'll be able to link all my echoes to have a whole home music system to listen to Spotify/etc while I'm cleaning and doing chores around the house moving from room to room.

Which are also getting easier, as I've linked it to the Roomba I just picked up on Black Friday. All I have to do is say "Alexa, clean my house"

One day, long after the robotic uprising, historians will look back and mark this as the day it all began--when humanity was collectively too lazy to press the drat button on the Roomba.

I should also add that we have litter robot auto-scooping cat boxes as well. At this rate, everything I do will soon be automated away, like my job!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I already returned the Echo I got on Cyber Monday because it turns out it's not a regular Bluetooth speaker I can use to listen to podcasts and it didn't even sound that good for music, so I got this Bluetooth speaker instead because it was pretty much the exact same price (there's a $15 off promo coupon right now on Amazon), works just fine with my podcast app and music sounds great through it. It's got a ridiculous amount of bass, and if you buy 2 (which I didn't) it has true stereo meaning one speaker plays the left channel and the other plays the right channel.

Archeer A320S Bluetooth Speakers Wireless Stereo Pairing Loud Speaker with Booming Bass, Built-in Mic, 20 Hours Playtime, Wood Bookshelf Speakers for Home Party Theater

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0746JRVX5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_eXjjAb08RSYNT

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Summer sausage and jarlsberg cheese

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

All the smart speakers and assistants are exactly what I wanted as a kid and envisioned a "smart" house.

Then it turns out that giant corporations and the government are looking for any excuse to turn your life and habits into revenue and will record everything you do without hesitation.
gently caress em. Unless I can have a completely closed system or have them only listen when I press a fob or something, I'll never buy them.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Screw you all google assistant is my new wife, she recites poems to me and is sweet when I thank her.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
If one cyber dystopian Mega Corporation is going to own the world I'm rooting for Google.

I want to live in the google-owned Shadowrun universe.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
I want a Janet.

Anyway, bought a new Macbook Pro 13 inch and some rad shoes

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Pastry of the Year posted:

Speaking of pressure cooking, I finally bit the bullet and got this (in)famous old pressure fryer off of eBay:

It's supposed to make absolutely divine fried chicken, but I haven't tried it yet, since (a) we just had Thanksgiving and I should probably cool it with the overindulgence for, I don't know, at least a week and (b) I'm waiting to have company over before I break it in, since I might need someone to drive me to the hospital.

I used this last night! Made two batches of chicken, legs and thighs, and it was really good. It could not have been easier to use, either; I straight up have no idea how someone would hurt themselves with this thing unless they were being an absolute idiot.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Pastry of the Year posted:

I used this last night! Made two batches of chicken, legs and thighs, and it was really good. It could not have been easier to use, either; I straight up have no idea how someone would hurt themselves with this thing unless they were being an absolute idiot.

Some people are born absolute idiots, but it's also possible to become one when you are juggling other cooking tasks, drinking while cooking, or perhaps a combo of all those things.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

my favorite "people hurting themselves by using something improperly" stories are anytime clear care contact solution is involved

the amount of reviews of people burning their eyes by using that stuff wrong is the best despite the hundreds of warning all over the boxes and bottles of that stuff

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

my favorite "people hurting themselves by using something improperly" stories are anytime clear care contact solution is involved

the amount of reviews of people burning their eyes by using that stuff wrong is the best despite the hundreds of warning all over the boxes and bottles of that stuff

I did that! I was in japan on a 2 week long sister-city exchange. My friend translated the bottles incorrectly and I put a contact covered in 'deep cleaner' into my eye. I got to find out how awesome socialized medicine was, my emergency room trip plus two eyedrop meds was < $50 and they were very apologetic that they had to charge me since I was a foreigner.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

i have a friend who wanted to sue them over it and only relented when like every PI attorney in arizona told her they wouldn't take her case. used properly that is some awesome contact solution tho

edit i just remembered her ranting on fb about wanting to sue them is how i found out about it

Big Bowie Bonanza has a new favorite as of 21:51 on Dec 5, 2017

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

How do you use contact solution wrong?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

RCarr posted:

How do you use contact solution wrong?

Having never used contacts: There is regular saline that is fine for eyes, and there is cleaner which you should then rinse off with saline before putting in your eyes. Guess which step people forget on tubes of clear water like substances.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

clear care solution in its unused form is hydrogen peroxide. you put the lenses in a little holder that has a disc of metal, i think platinum or something on it, that neutralizes the peroxide into a saline solution. some people try to rinse their contacts with the peroxide and put them in their eyes. don't put hydrogen peroxide in your eyes.

bookkeeper
Jul 14, 2010

it means "the kapital"

Bought, installed, played for a bit, closed, uninstalled and got refunded for The Surge (a video jame). Kind of a neat concept (sci-fi souls) but very lacking in polish.

24-inch monitor to match my other one so now I have two!

Nice underwear from MeUndies from their Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale (20% off everything).

Flash cart for my DS lite so I can play romhacks.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Three cases for $30, shipped. I ordered this in the early am hours on Black Friday. I have no memory of making this order and while I do enjoy the occasional sleepy-time in a can, I really didn't need this much.

I mean, it was a pretty kickin deal though.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

H110Hawk posted:

Having never used contacts: There is regular saline that is fine for eyes, and there is cleaner which you should then rinse off with saline before putting in your eyes. Guess which step people forget on tubes of clear water like substances.

Close.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

clear care solution in its unused form is hydrogen peroxide. you put the lenses in a little holder that has a disc of metal, i think platinum or something on it, that neutralizes the peroxide into a saline solution. some people try to rinse their contacts with the peroxide and put them in their eyes. don't put hydrogen peroxide in your eyes.

Yeah it just takes both time and a special case and they really were awesome years ago when I had lovely lenses. Nowadays I’ve been using a brand that doesn’t dry out, scratch, fall apart or make my eyes red and I can just use a normal case. (Bausch and Lombe Ultras are the best of like 10 types I’ve had.)

Since I’ve been using contacts since I was 12 I can definitely say that I’ve messed up and put a lens in before it was good to go and it was so awful. My eyelid clamped shut and hurt too bad to open, and when I finally got it out I couldn’t put my contacts in or blink without searing pain and just stayed home from school.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

You just keep thinking that sweetheart.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I can't wear contacts anymore so it's a non issue got me. Gonna get that surgery where they implant the lenses directly into your eyes. I forget what it's called. Supposedly way better than LASIK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Is it any good? Where'd you buy?