Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Rinkles posted:

that probably answers it. I take it "grandpa" in Japanese can be used analogously to "big sister" for older folks? (nevermind that it works in English as is, whatever the exact relationship)

Oh yeah, speaking of - considering the way they talk about "grampa/jii-chan", if they were sisters there almost certainly would have been a "nee-chan/onee-chan" between them at some point.

So there. Stop making it weird.

Also, seeing the Goddess statue reminded me - I feel like there's something funny in this show's concept of the Divine being a tall, lanky woman eternally side-eying all of creation. I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Rinkles posted:

that was not what I was getting at

it's cool, i just wanted to make a dumb galaxy brain image with god yuu

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Rinkles posted:

that was not what I was getting at

I know, I just wanted to make a dumb joke. I'm guessing your post was a "I thought they were more like siblings" rather than "they must be siblings because I don't want them to be gay."

I'm sure you don't actually work for 4kids.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Also, seeing the Goddess statue reminded me - I feel like there's something funny in this show's concept of the Divine being a tall, lanky woman eternally side-eying all of creation. I like it.

"The gently caress is up with these towers? The gently caress did you guys do to my planet?"

Dire Lemming fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 30, 2017

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/jisatsuTEATIME/status/936048089240137728

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Shouldn't akko be yuu

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Shouldn't akko be yuu

You're absolutely right

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'd watch both of those shows

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Well... that was an episode.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
big robot...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Friends.

This show is good and I like it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Fuuuuuuuuuck that was poignant and beautiful. I can't take it. I have a lump in my throat after that.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

There Bias Two posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuck that was poignant and beautiful. I can't take it. I have a lump in my throat after that.

After every episode of this show, I'm usually at a loss for words to describe it and how it affected me. The quoted words pretty well sum it up this time, better than I could.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

I've seen other forums complaining about the 'fanservice' of this episode, but it really just felt strangely safe and warm when the world outside is so cold and broken.
The theme of doing what you can even when it's just a little really stands out.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Yuu starts to dissolve if left in water for too long.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

As potatoes do.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Liver Disaster posted:

As potatoes do.

I think they grow a bunch of eyes first.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

chumbler posted:

I think they grow a bunch of eyes first.

I'm extremely concerned about how you would make potato soup.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
What an episode. What a show. I can tell I'm going to be thinking about this long after it finishes airing.

Liver Disaster posted:

I've seen other forums complaining about the 'fanservice' of this episode, but it really just felt strangely safe and warm when the world outside is so cold and broken.

I've heard this from my pals too. It didn't feel very male-gazy so it didn't bother me. The world is so nonthreatening and cold I'd probably be quick to jump into any warm body of water I'd find too.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
A bit like YKK (though not really the same tone,) this show is sort of ...implicitly philosophical? It rarely asks them outright, but it is offering questions all the same.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

StandardVC10 posted:

A bit like YKK (though not really the same tone,) this show is sort of ...implicitly philosophical? It rarely asks them outright, but it is offering questions all the same.

I've had the same thought. It's like two philosophers observing the end of the world, Yuu the existentialist and Chi the... idealist? I'm not sure what philosophy she'd represent.

The episode with the temple and god statues inside made me think about religion in a different way. And I'm liking Yuu more with every episode.

This is the first anime show where I've started re-watching episodes before the end of the season.

drat, I like this show, perhaps to an alarming degree.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I thought they'd try moving the fish before resorting to destruction. I didn't find this episode as moving as seemingly a lot of this thread did.

StandardVC10 posted:

I think it's pretty explicit, which isn't necessarily a fault.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Beato Believer posted:

I've had the same thought. It's like two philosophers observing the end of the world, Yuu the existentialist and Chi the... idealist? I'm not sure what philosophy she'd represent.

The episode with the temple and god statues inside made me think about religion in a different way. And I'm liking Yuu more with every episode.

This is the first anime show where I've started re-watching episodes before the end of the season.

drat, I like this show, perhaps to an alarming degree.

Maybe Taoist? She's very go-with-the-flow

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Rinkles posted:

I think it's pretty explicit, which isn't necessarily a fault.

It definitely is, but not in the aesop's fables sort of way that like Kino no Tabi is.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the philosophy in this show can be pretty stupidly explicit yeah. it's really the only thing i have disliked and maybe to an unreasonable degree considering how good the other parts are. but stuff like the god episode being capped off with yuu just blurting out the philosophical idea being conveyed is just like...why?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

dogsicle posted:

the philosophy in this show can be pretty stupidly explicit yeah. it's really the only thing i have disliked and maybe to an unreasonable degree considering how good the other parts are. but stuff like the god episode being capped off with yuu just blurting out the philosophical idea being conveyed is just like...why?

So far it's been a (mostly) warm and fuzzy show with chill musings on life that uses its post apoc setting to add poignancy. And I like it for what it is. It's usually not subtle, but it's not trying to be, and I also don't think it has pretensions of being overly profound (but there's nothing wrong w/ getting something profound out of it).

I'm actually relieved about the cosy tone. It's telling human stories about the end of the world w/o the ugly stuff that usually entails. That stuff is still very much at the back of your mind---very deliberately---on the precipice of the screen, but it doesn't spoil the show's innocence. (Although I'm dreading an eventual dark turn).

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Liver Disaster posted:

Some people just cry fanservice whenever there's nudity. Personally I see nothing wrong with the fact that the robots weren't wearing clothes.

Also RIP Big Guy, messed with the wrong potato's fish.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Rinkles posted:

I'm actually relieved about the cosy tone. It's telling human stories about the end of the world w/o the ugly stuff that usually entails. That stuff is still very much at the back of your mind---very deliberately---on the precipice of the screen, but it doesn't spoil the show's innocence. (Although I'm dreading an eventual dark turn).

there are five volumes of manga out and i haven't heard anything about it taking a huge turn yet so there probably won't be anything like that, at least in the anime

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

The Colonel posted:

there are five volumes of manga out and i haven't heard anything about it taking a huge turn yet so there probably won't be anything like that, at least in the anime

Fortunately there's always the possibility of the anime diverging from the manga in significant ways. This way yet another reveal of information from the manga doesn't absolutely ruin watching the show. Probably.

But hey, no complaints. I'll be back after the show's complete (unless I'm banned or whatever). I like watching the show far more than I like talking about it.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

At the end of the world there's a dead city where a kind robot takes care of the last fish and I can't stop crying.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Not gonna lie, I was hoping that Yuu would dive in and save the fish, leading to Yuu Chii and Sakana adventures. Sanctioned by the robot, of course.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Here it is! The good bot :kimchi:

They did such a good job on this holy crap. Poor big robot...

Eiba posted:

At the end of the world there's a dead city where a kind robot takes care of the last fish and I can't stop crying.

Yeah :unsmith:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Now that I'm a few days removed from the incredible warm emotions that episode left me with... I've been thinking about what others have said in this topic.

Liver Disaster posted:

Yuu just stripping naked and swimming about without a care was contrasted well with Chi who was struggling with the personhood of the robot. "There's someone else here" (red circle and arrow appear) was a good gag, but also kinda central to the point of the episode. Chi already considered the robot a person emotionally without really thinking about it.

If there was an element of fan-service then, for one thing it wasn't for me because I didn't feel interested at all in that way, and at the very least it was totally in aid of developing the characters and fleshing out the themes of the story.

dogsicle posted:

Yuu often says the moral of the story that might have become clear already to the viewer but I think the important part is that for the most part it wasn't clear to Chi. She's thoughtful, but she overthinks things. She's often the voice that explores an idea totally, without really getting it until Yuu says the simple and obvious moral.

I don't get the impression of being beaten over the head with an idea as if I didn't get it, rather it feels like a satisfying simplification of the kind of complicated ideas they're looking at in an episode. It's all part of the meditative calm atmosphere.

Rinkles posted:

I thought they'd try moving the fish before resorting to destruction. I didn't find this episode as moving as seemingly a lot of this thread did.
There's a lot of infrastructure you need to have to support a fish. They mentioned almost all the water tanks were inoperative. There was nowhere to really take the fish.

The really moving bit was just that image at the end, of the robot standing next to the fish. The robot's trying so hard and it's so nice that you just want things to be okay for it and its fish. But it's just the remains of a mostly destroyed and entirely forgotten food processing system. It's just some system doing what it's programmed to do in a context that no longer serves any purpose. There's action and conflict this episode, but that basically just builds up emotional familiarity and investment with this sweet, earnest machine.

There's talk of what evolution is. Maybe Chi and Yuu are also systems that are doing what they're programmed to in a context that no longer serves any purpose. Maybe it's inevitable that they will die and leave nothing behind.

But I hope they live long and happy lives too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I liked your thoughts, Eiba, well put.

And it's not that the episode didn't resonate with me, just wasn't as affecting. I'm not sure I can point to why in this case, but it's like there's sometimes a fine line between the banal and something deeper, and sometimes where you land on that divide depends on how you in that moment perceived it (which can be down to even the coffee you drank earlier that day), not only on the thing itself.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Eiba posted:

"What does empathy mean?"
"It means when you're happy, I'm happy."

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
Caught up on this last night after a binge watch and it is wonderful. I don't know what happened to the world, or when, or why, but it's such a trip to watch what's left through the eyes of these innocents(?).

I kinda figured them as cousins but it doesn't really matter. All that does matter is that I'm learning some things at the same time they do.

Empathy~!

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
It's the aftermath of the Love Live-Idolm@ster war of 2018-3548.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
We are at war with Love Live, we have always been at war with Love Live

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The blobs are cousins, just like those two nice girls from Sailor Moon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012