Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

A bunch of leaked SQ42 audio:

https://instaud.io/1uHy - :gary:
https://instaud.io/1uH8 - Fullburn!
https://instaud.io/1uH5
https://instaud.io/1uH9
https://instaud.io/1uHa
https://instaud.io/1uHb
https://instaud.io/1uHg
https://instaud.io/1uHl
https://instaud.io/1uHx
https://instaud.io/1uHz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I'm starting to see why Croberts threw his script to the ground.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Dusty Lens posted:

I'm starting to see why Croberts threw his script to the ground.

coke shudder

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

That's the most emotion I have ever heard Sandi put into anything. Was she drunk?

I'm drunk right now.

Absinthe, bourbon and beer. Not all at once.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

How did they make Full Burn worse?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

DapperDon posted:

This was a great post. Now you said something that was interesting here. I am going to disagree from a position of what I can see on the horizon for space games. Dual Universe really comes to mind. I think that other game companies saw the market flock to Star Citizen and decided that if they can deliver it better and faster, then so be it. Just a few pages back, there was a post about a PG planet and with a pg city. BeetWagon just posted a commando in UE4 and their Warthog video. These are just a couple of people doing Cig's poo poo, better than Cig.

What bothers me is how easily SC could be sold as an "advance" where it really isn't advancing anything beyond the promise of seamless transitions. They're doing so much that's already done just really badly. I do think that is going to play negatively for the genre, there is an obvious desire for a space game that is absorbing in the way that RPG games can be but space itself is the problem for gameplay. SC backers want the boredom (well, as long as they can pay their way out if it maybe), no one else does.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Is that Malcolm McDowell?

I'm really, really bad at maching voices to names.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dusty Lens posted:

It's not, they would have flooded the Reddit with the news they got Malcolm to play a part in this farce.

Also looks like someone got their credit card back from their wife.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

juggalo baby coffin posted:

how complete was illfonics star marine when croberts canned it? i know they had to lay people off because of it, gently caress croberts

I may be able to share some light on this

At the time prior the "weeks not months" for star marine, ilfonic went public as the FPS contractor and there were a lot of interaction sessions on the forum between ilfonic and the backers when they asked about star marine (I participated too actually)

This was while star marine was still in its own code branch and before they send over Travis day, who to my knowing was sent around the time the whole merge debacle became apparent.

At that point and to my knowing star marine functioned as it's own branch of code as a module, but it was entirely impossible to merge it back into the star citizen main branch. Some of which had to do with the entire scale of the module being completely off.

The actions that followed Travis days departure to ilfonic seemed desperate in retrospective and paint the picture that the inability to integrate star marine was coming to everyones total surprise.

Judging by the developer interactions before and during this time, illfonics star marine was basically release ready, comparable to the first version of Arena commander (0.8) that cig released

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 2, 2017

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

If ever there was a person who wakes up in the morning and feels no regrets over leaving one job for another it's Travis Day.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Dusty Lens posted:

No, but it sounds like someone is trying to imitate him.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I'm trying to figure out what these audio files are. Have they been stitched together or were they presented like this from wherever they got them? As far as I know, it's pretty weird for games to include whole exchanges with multiple parties in a single file.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Milky Moor posted:

I'm trying to figure out what these audio files are. Have they been stitched together or were they presented like this from wherever they got them? As far as I know, it's pretty weird for games to include whole exchanges with multiple parties in a single file.

I believe that a lot of them are meant to represent background chatter. NPC dialogue when you walk by or snippets from a radio/tv.

Those montage bits you get when you're walking through an area on rails before the game starts.

That's my guess anyways. Audio files for interactions where things are a bit more dynamic or implore character interaction are usually a bit more brief. More of a "get up to the cloud district often" types.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

Dusty Lens posted:

Audio files for interactions where things are a bit more dynamic or implore character interaction are usually a bit more brief. More of a "get up to the cloud district often" types.

This is way easier if nothing is dynamic. And why should it be? If it were dynamic, the player wouldn't experience CrobbleVision correctly.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Dusty Lens posted:

I believe that a lot of them are meant to represent background chatter. NPC dialogue when you walk by or snippets from a radio/tv.

Those montage bits you get when you're walking through an area on rails before the game starts.

That's my guess anyways. Audio files for interactions where things are a bit more dynamic or implore character interaction are usually a bit more brief. More of a "get up to the cloud district often" types.

Chris Roberts tends to like that kind of immersion stuff. Starlancer had news broadcasts you could watch and you walked down hallways to real briefings before every mission and the NPCs were in different places saying different things about their days.

That game came out in 2000, imagine what he can do with today's technology. GTA has radio stations with hours of content and TV shows and poo poo now.

I can only imagine what he wanted to do to freelancer.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Combat Theory posted:

I may be able to share some light on this

At the time prior the "weeks not months" for star marine, ilfonic went public as the FPS contractor and there were a lot of interaction sessions on the forum between ilfonic and the backers when they asked about star marine (I participated too actually)

This was while star marine was still in its own code branch and before they send over Travis day, who to my knowing was sent around the time the whole merge debacle became apparent.

At that point and to my knowing star marine functioned as it's own branch of code as a module, but it was entirely impossible to merge it back into the star citizen main branch. Some of which had to do with the entire scale of the module being completely off.

The actions that followed Travis days departure to ilfonic seemed desperate in retrospective and paint the picture that the inability to integrate star marine was coming to everyones total surprise.

Judging by the developer interactions before and during this time, illfonics star marine was basically release ready, comparable to the first version of Arena commander (0.8) that cig released

thanks for this, do you know what prevented it being merged? were they expecting it to be seamless instead of a different module you load into when you go to the marine arena or w/e?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Dusty Lens posted:

Burn out and all you'll be good for are shitposts and bad one liners.

:same: actually who am I kidding that's all I was ever good for.

As an aside, of all the stupid pointless slapfights that have ever been in this thread, the one between AP and VictorianQueerLit is my favorite I think.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Mirificus posted:

April 2015

March 2016

November 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs6oPhWcsG4

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

thanks for this, do you know what prevented it being merged? were they expecting it to be seamless instead of a different module you load into when you go to the marine arena or w/e?

Well since this is the most open game development project in history nobody really knows

I think one of the more popular theories is the rumoured issues with the sizes not matching. We have speculated that CIG shrunk everything down to extremely tiny sizes to get the giant volume of space they were bragging about having. 100 sextillion Kilometers or whatever. In terms of Crysis 1 the jeeps would be the size of a bullet and the player characters the size of a grain of sand which would make the island impossibly huge.

So a possibility is that Illfonic's completely standard scale work wouldn't have matched with what is essentially a workaround that a modder would make to cryengine. So a Star Marine commando would stride over entire solar systems.

but like i said nobody really knows. Open Development.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Well since this is the most open game development project in history nobody really knows

I think one of the more popular theories is the rumoured issues with the sizes not matching. We have speculated that CIG shrunk everything down to extremely tiny sizes to get the giant volume of space they were bragging about having. 100 sextillion Kilometers or whatever. In terms of Crysis 1 the jeeps would be the size of a bullet and the player characters the size of a grain of sand which would make the island impossibly huge.

So a possibility is that Illfonic's completely standard scale work wouldn't have matched with what is essentially a workaround that a modder would make to cryengine. So a Star Marine commando would stride over entire solar systems.

but like i said nobody really knows. Open Development.

the size matching sounds very probably. i dont understand how there could be so many clipping issues in cryengine without the scaling being super small

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

the size matching sounds very probably. i dont understand how there could be so many clipping issues in cryengine without the scaling being super small

Reminds me of the issues they had with the contractors they used for the Cutlass

In the actual ship those dudes would have to stoop over in order to stand where they are. But everything is designed to people who top out at two feet in height. In the Cutlass Blue what people thought were supposed to be shelves were actually meant to be beds.

Absolutely amazing.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
So what's left for CIG to sell? Mining rights, water rights, custom paint jobs for ships that will inevitably be refactored and look like poo poo, season tickets to sataball games in Sandi Stadium, space pets that follow you around...ummm an actual game ahahahah

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Loxbourne posted:

I do think it's time to stop making 70-line posts for a bit, yes. I have one more post I'm working on about the way the Citizenry seems to see Derek, but it won't be as long as that one and perhaps I should give it a week or two.

I liked your post a lot :justpost:

I do disagree with one of your key arguments though. I don't think they actually care that much about Chris Roberts. Back on the official RSI forums, I used to argue constantly with backers that Star Citizen was off the rails. I very often focused on Chris, his ridiculous claims, his broken promises and missed dates, and his well-documented failures of the past. I was always amazed that nobody tried to challenge me and stuck up for Chris, they would just pick some small nuance to argue with and miss the point, or cut straight to ad-hominem.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

cryo-gurney

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lt_Tofu posted:

So what's left for CIG to sell? Mining rights, water rights, custom paint jobs for ships that will inevitably be refactored and look like poo poo, season tickets to sataball games in Sandi Stadium, space pets that follow you around...ummm an actual game ahahahah

They already have custom skins.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lt_Tofu posted:

tons of buildings n stuff to purchase

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

If memory serves it was the move to 64 bit that really hosed things. Main SC branch ripped the guts out of CryEngine to do 64 bit positioning, nobody thought to tell Illfonic about it, who were still building on stock CryEngine.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Lt_Tofu posted:

Little sister's AI personality.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Lt_Tofu posted:

Argon

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Toops posted:

I mean, he's literally living the American Dream. Make something that people want, charge them as much money as they are willing to pay, and enjoy the spoils. Honesty and integrity are expressed as 6pt font footnotes under the bottom line, if they're expressed at all.

This is pretty much CIGs continuous ace in the hole.

Everybody always speculates when the money will dry up, and when CIG will go belly up. But when they make these predictions it’s based off of what people have come to accept as fair and moral. CIG totally bucks this trend.

“There’s no way they’ll make it to 2017!”

CIG creates new gameplay out of thin air that has zero chance of ever becoming reality, but they play it up like it’s not only in the bag, but it’s almost done, too!

“ELE in progress! 90 days and CIG shuts down! Devs, you know how to contact me!”

CIG doubles back on an old promise, either LTI, bringing back a ship that will ‘never be sold again’, etc.

“3.0 will never release!”

Au contraire! CIG releases “3.0” despite it resembling precious little of what 3.0 was supposed to be, and it’s mostly broken, but there it is!

“CIG probably won’t pull through the beginning of 2018. There’s just... no way!”

CIG invents another impossible gameplay mechanic and totally unabashedly sells and markets the hell out of it to make money.

Toops and Combat Theory are both very right. There’s nothing to get to under the hood, there’s a lot of money still to run things, nobody knows how much or how much is really needed, and it’s a fact that CIG will 110% sell impossible technical debt to keep raking in huge swaths of money.

There is no way to predict when everything will stop simply because CIG has zero qualms about lying their pants off and promising the impossible every time they need money. And they do it smartly by constantly cycling through different interest groups. Once you’ve soaked your sim crowd, move to the casuals. Once your casuals are saturated move to your mmo group. Once the mmo group is tired switch to the role players.

Keep on cycling your junk, never stop telling each one that their product is in development right now, all the while building a game that literally represents none of your promises unless you squint really hard and look at it through rose colored glasses.

But ultimately, CIGs total lack of moral scruples keeps them hugely profitable in the “We build tons of nothing” market.

My opinion today is that, based on all the promises including the new land stuff, Star Citizen is about 15-20 years in development time away. There’s a good chance that people in charge of CIG will retire before they stop, and even longer before the promised game appears.

Now of course that’s not the mvp type. They could call their mess of 3.0 the Star Citizen mvp tomorrow and that could be it. CIG has no obligation to uphold these promises features, even if they did make money by selling them off. Their technical debt ceiling is so high right now there’s really no point in stopping to try to play catch up because the bus is so far down the road right now it in another country already.

CIGs motto is “why stop it if people want to buy it?”

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

This guy. :allears:

He has to be insane, or dosed up on some really good drugs.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Toops posted:

Ok I'm gonna step in here and risk some pedantry. What they're accumulating is not tech debt. It could be more aptly called "backlog debt," which is where your story/epic (feature) backlog just keeps growing. You could call it feature creep as well.

Tech debt is when you implement something in a lovely, unmaintainable way either to meet a deadline, or because you didn't know any better, or both. Tech debt requires refactoring/re-writing parts of code that are already "done."

Land claims, just like new ships, is backlog debt. In the case of land, this is brand new code/functionality/assets.

CIG has plenty of tech debt too, in almost eveything they've made thus far, as evidenced by their glacially slow feature velocity. Their "pipelines" are getting clogged, not streamlined.

Good point. It’s a ton of backlog, and backlog they have no real reason to ever initiate. They could roll a little piece of something out if they want to resell it to an audience, but once it’s sold off there’s no real reason to build it.

For the same reason Star Citizen being made is not helpful to CIG, going back and building out all these promises they already made money off of is equally pointless.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Lt_Tofu posted:

All kinds of buildings.

SCtrumpHaters posted:

tons of buildings n stuff to purchase

yeah this

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

If people aren't buying private homes and hangars to spawn from by next June I'll reference someones genitals.

I'll reference them so hard.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I appreciate the clandestine way these items are portrayed.

Some new item comes out that needs to be sold.

“Wow, do you think Derek and the goons are going to be upset because of those items up for sale? I don’t know about you but I’m going to buy two just to piss in their cereal!”

“Yeah! Me too!”

The only thing I wonder if Derek is upset about is how he feels about being used as a marketing tool by CIG these days to help stir “spite purchases”.

Guess what guys: Derek does not really care if you spend your money on Star Citizen or a box of dog food.

Guess what else: CIG does care if you spend your money on their stuff.

Who do you really think these spinning wheels are being directed by? :allears:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

the cig approach to what is gonna be in the game is for someone to ask them 'is this gonna be in the game?' and then they say yes.

its being pitched as all things to all people. im just waiting for them to say 'hey in star citizen if you dont want to you never have to even go into space, every planet will have enough compelling gameplay on it'. people are projecting all these elaborate mining and farming things and now that they're selling land they're gonna have to tell people there will be something worthwhile to do with it

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Deathsquid posted:

Are those serious or ironic, I am never certain.

AdzAdama is serious.

Very serious. :stare:

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dusty Lens posted:

If people aren't buying private homes and hangars to spawn from by next June I'll reference someones genitals.

I'll reference them so hard.

feel free to quote the poo poo out of it

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

IKEA has an AR app for mobile which lets you try out 3D models of their furniture in your room. It clips through walls, though.

So, CIG still have the potential for selling bare condos (tiny separate levels), and then selling mobiglas furniture placement app so that 3D couches noclip through poo poo, and it looks fidelitous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

the cig approach to what is gonna be in the game is for someone to ask them 'is this gonna be in the game?' and then they say yes.

its being pitched as all things to all people. im just waiting for them to say 'hey in star citizen if you dont want to you never have to even go into space, every planet will have enough compelling gameplay on it'. people are projecting all these elaborate mining and farming things and now that they're selling land they're gonna have to tell people there will be something worthwhile to do with it

Theybe actually already said that. Unless i had a fever dream and it was ONLY backers stating that poo poo.