Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

R.D. Mangles posted:

have a strange feeling that guys like Tank Regent will be a lot more patient with jimbo fisher than sumlin

Eh - Buzbee isn't really your traditional old racist Texan. He's a plaintiffs lawyer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Crotch Bat posted:

Dabo is way more proven than Kelly. If he pulls a CFP title out of his rear end this year he's going to leap frog Urbz and go right behind Saban for 2nd best coach in the country.

Fair point, I completely forgot about Dabo.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

LeeMajors posted:

Psh.

Meyer has 3 titles at two different schools. Dabo has one.

Dabo is a premier coach to be sure, but c'mon now.

Right, Meyer has a better history and Dabo, if he won this year, would have back-to-back titles and 3 straight title appearances at a school that wasn't a powerhouse for 30 years until he arrived. The fact that Clemson is #1 AGAIN, a fact seemingly lost on a large portion of all fans, is ridiculous because Clemson isn't remotely what they were last year or the year before.

Again, I prefaced that with IF he wins the title and wouldn't put his history over Meyer's but I think like a power rankings deal you could easily make an argument for Dabo at #2.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Dabo crushes Urban when they're playing against each other though

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Crotch Bat posted:

Right, Meyer has a better history and Dabo, if he won this year, would have back-to-back titles and 3 straight title appearances at a school that wasn't a powerhouse for 30 years until he arrived.

The fact that Clemson is #1 AGAIN, a fact seemingly lost on a large portion of all fans, is ridiculous because Clemson isn't remotely what they were last year or the year before.

Again, I prefaced that with IF he wins the title and wouldn't put his history over Meyer's but I think like a power rankings deal you could easily make an argument for Dabo at #2.

Dude's had a good run to be sure--certainly the best since 93-97 Nebraska, Bama's otherworldliness excepted. Having said that, it's easy to forget that Clemsoning was a thing and he was almost fired until he took his hands off the offense.

Selling him as #2, even with back to back titles, is a tough sell. Meyer will go down as a top 5 all timer as will Saban. Not sure Dabo's in the same category.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

pillsburysoldier posted:

lmao Jimbo's TAMU contract is 100% guaranteed holy poo poo aggies you idiots

Hahahahaha. Ok, between this and Tennessee’s coaching search I’m not going to feel bad about Ole Miss’s off-season anymore.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I think Chip Kelly is a really good coach and was obviously the Home run hire of this coaching carousel, but putting him with Urban Meyer and Nick Saban is a bit presumptuous. He only coached 4 years at Oregon and they were super successful in those 4 years, but a lot of great coaches wear out their welcome and we don’t know how well he will progress. And even though I don’t really want to downplay his success in those 4 years, the PAC 10/12 wasn’t very good in his few years there. Both Washington teams sucked, OSU sucked, USC had Kiffin, his only competition was Stanford in those 4 years, the rest of the conference was straight up garbage.

I don’t mean to disparage Chip Kelly or act like he’s a bad coach, he’s not. He’s very good. But I think he still has a lot to prove, especially compared to long established coaches like Urban, Dabo, and Saban.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
bill snyder is better than all coaches said

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Metapod posted:

bill snyder is better than all coaches said

Bill Snyder is cool and good.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Not to mention, he had Winston for that run. Which I'm not sure how much stock you put into that but it's gotta mean something.

So, to hand the guy $75 million fully guaranteed is pretty :lol:

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Bill Synder is GOAT and Dabo is Mack Brown 2.0, hth.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Spoo > Saban > Meyer

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

LeeMajors posted:

Dude's had a good run to be sure--certainly the best since 93-97 Nebraska, Bama's otherworldliness excepted. Having said that, it's easy to forget that Clemsoning was a thing and he was almost fired until he took his hands off the offense.

Selling him as #2, even with back to back titles, is a tough sell. Meyer will go down as a top 5 all timer as will Saban. Not sure Dabo's in the same category.

He's only 48, he'll coaching for some time, more than enough to continue building a resume. And coaches being lovely before getting good is practically the norm. Frank Beamer was 2-8-1 in 1992 and the BOV told him to fire 8 of his 9 assistants (forever RB coach Billy Hite pre-dated Beamer at VT, I'm guessing that's how he survived that purge) in year 6 or resign. The rest is obviously history. Sometimes coaches just figure things out on the way.

Anyway, you're debating all-time and I'm debating a power ranking.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Alright, well thanks for the natty Jimbo, please take your garbage o-line coach with you on the way out.

Just get a fun offensive coach. Don't care if we're great, just want to watch fireworks.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Crotch Bat posted:

Anyway, you're debating all-time and I'm debating a power ranking.

Maybe. I won't debate that Dabo has proven me wrong, I'm just not sure he should be invited into the pantheon just yet.

Also, Urban wasn't lovely before he was good so :colbert:

Now you've made me vociferously defend the coach who faked a heart attack and invoked his children to avoid his buyout, so thanks a fuckin' lot.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

OK for the sake of argument, what active coaches are in the top tier and how would you rank them? I can't even give an informed opinion because I haven't much cared about football since Pelini's waning days.

I mean obviously Saban and Meyer, and probably Jimbo and Dabo, but I don't know who else would go in that top tier. I feel like Peterson, Patterson, Richt are all in the next tier down.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Alright, well thanks for the natty Jimbo, please take your garbage o-line coach with you on the way out.

Just get a fun offensive coach. Don't care if we're great, just want to watch fireworks.

Christobal?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

regulargonzalez posted:

OK for the sake of argument, what active coaches are in the top tier and how would you rank them? I can't even give an informed opinion because I haven't much cared about football since Pelini's waning days.

I mean obviously Saban and Meyer, and probably Jimbo and Dabo, but I don't know who else would go in that top tier. I feel like Peterson, Patterson, Richt are all in the next tier down.

Tier I: Saban/Meyer
Tier Ia: Dabo, Jimbo (ugh, rube-name-city)
Tier II: Patterson, Harbaugh, Richt, Malzahn, Kelly (sans absence he's Ia), Shaw, Petersen, Gundy

Everything beyond that is a muddled mess of nouveau riche success like Smart, minor journeymen success stories like Muschamp, outcasts like Leach, or mid-major giants like Niumatalolo.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

He's oc at Oregon unless there are two Christobal's in CFB.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

LeeMajors posted:

Maybe. I won't debate that Dabo has proven me wrong, I'm just not sure he should be invited into the pantheon just yet.

Also, Urban wasn't lovely before he was good so :colbert:

Now you've made me vociferously defend the coach who faked a heart attack and invoked his children to avoid his buyout, so thanks a fuckin' lot.

Mine is essentially "this current run is really good, if he wins back-to-back titles with one coming after losing Deshaun Watson he's as good or better than everyone not named Nick Saban".

I could easily hear an argument for Meyer being better, I'm just saying I think if Dabo wins this year you can make the same for him in the current coaching landscape.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Jimbo's national title team has something like a dozen players starting in the NFL right now. That team was insane.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

wandler20 posted:

Jimbo's national title team has something like a dozen players starting in the NFL right now. That team was insane.

They are a historically good team in CFB, unironically top 5

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

pillsburysoldier posted:

Dabo crushes Urban when they're playing against each other though

has this happen more than once

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LeeMajors posted:

Owns. The 80s had the best logos.

I always thought that was better than the current logo

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Twitter (mostly former players) are sharing tue unheard quotes from the former Vol coaches. A few gems -

https://twitter.com/davy___crockett/status/936744895720644609

https://twitter.com/jpropst47/status/936741154669973504

https://twitter.com/jpropst47/status/936745424551137280

https://twitter.com/doctorcarter3/status/936753289357594626

https://twitter.com/doctorcarter3/status/936758816372350976

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Stunt Rock posted:

The best part about this is the carousel won’t stop turning for a while so who knows what other insane poo poo is going to happen.

Tennessee still doesn’t have a coach lol

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

LeeMajors posted:

Owns. The 80s had the best logos.

loving love this logo.

[quote="“Stunt Rock”" post="“478934481”"]
The best part about this is the carousel won’t stop turning for a while so who knows what other insane poo poo is going to happen.
[/quote]

It’s amazing. There are still people on the Missouri boards sharing “inside info” from state coaches meetings that for example Malzahn is going to Arkansas in the off-season. It’s not even the veracity, just that everyone is sharing stuff.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

so tennessee has officially suspended Currie with pay, likely because they want to find exact cause to fire him and gently caress him out of his buyout

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

DJExile posted:

so tennessee has officially suspended Currie with pay, likely because they want to find exact cause to fire him and gently caress him out of his buyout

Good

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

https://mobile.twitter.com/DoctorCarter3/status/936794015730511873

“Where are my war daddies?”

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I will never stop laughing when I see the names jimbo and dabo next to each other

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

nachos posted:

I will never stop laughing when I see the names jimbo and dabo next to each other

very college football IMO

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

God bless Phil Fulmer

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

nachos posted:

One unfortunate thing we're missing out on because Tennessee is a mess is SEC coach Jim Bob Cooter.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

LeeMajors posted:

Tier I: Saban/Meyer
Tier Ia: Dabo, Jimbo (ugh, rube-name-city)
Tier II: Patterson, Harbaugh, Richt, Malzahn, Kelly (sans absence he's Ia), Shaw, Petersen, Gundy

Everything beyond that is a muddled mess of nouveau riche success like Smart, minor journeymen success stories like Muschamp, outcasts like Leach, or mid-major giants like Niumatalolo.

Harbaugh in this list is debatable. Dantonio is a better coach

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Komet posted:

That’s what I was going to say. Dantonio’s resume is superior to Harbaugh’s and Shaw’s.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Cmon Butch, it’s War BOYS.

:mediocre:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I dunno, I kind of like the idea of a fully guaranteed paycheck, but there is obviously a whole ton of risk. It lets the coach have a couple of bumps in the road before getting their recruits in without the feeling of the guillotine over their necks. 10 years and $75 million is straight stupid though.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Komet posted:

Agreed. Dantonio slipped my mind. 4 Jai Alais sabotaging me.

Franklin prob deserves to be in there somewhere. And Ferentz. Ferentz might be tier 2, even if he’s never going anywhere. Same for Snyder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Harbaugh hasn’t won a conference title since he won the Pioneer League in 2006.

• Locked thread