Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In a similar vein to personified mooks, I appreciate how apart from Ozzel, every imperial officer in Empire Strikes Back is a day to day jobber just trying to get on with their work while constantly terrified of being choked to death by Vader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I liked that about Rogue One. When they get to Scarif the Imperial forces there are really lax and undisciplined. Like old mate has to command them to spur them into action. And it makes sense because the Imperial base on Scarif is a tropical island, so of course everyone there is indulging in too much R & R.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

omg: old school henchman Sven Ole Thorsen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n67mI2obO-8

i guess hollywood is decent labor if youre arnold-friend

i think his last movie was Gladiator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_E-jgqFWzE

props on all that

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I was watching an entirely forgettable action flick called American Assassin yesterday, and one moment actually made me nod in satisfied appreciation.

At one point someone is lowered a steel cable from a helicopter as a means of escape. They wrap it around themselves and I was all set to remark how a cable like that would crush him if it were just looped around his torso – instead the character starts the motion of tying a bowline in the cable, which every Boy Scout and rescue worker is taught to do. It cuts away before the action is finished, but it felt like the editors left in just enough to give a nod that "this character knows what he's doing" for those who also have that knowledge.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Perestroika posted:

Dredd was also pretty great about this. Even the randos that just get shot in the face within a second tend to have some pretty unique look to them. There's that fat guy who scarred his own face to look more like Ma-Ma, polo shirt guy who looked as helpless as he was, that dude with the jacket who go thrown down the building, and of course this guy:

It was a pretty cool contrast to the Judges, who are all pretty much faceless and uniform. Meanwhile most of the gangers who go up again mostly look like sort of (future) regular people.

It's very true to the comics, where even one-off antagonists and many background characters are often colourful people with their own names, outfits and quirks. (kind of a point that everyone in Mega-City 1 is bored to the point of madness and desperate for novelty, often adopting personas and lifestyles just to be different)

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I liked that about Rogue One. When they get to Scarif the Imperial forces there are really lax and undisciplined. Like old mate has to command them to spur them into action. And it makes sense because the Imperial base on Scarif is a tropical island, so of course everyone there is indulging in too much R & R.

It makes sense too, being an isolated heavily guarded top-secret intel facility. The tropical location probably helps the staff not go crazy from boredom.

Also funny that the villain of Rogue One clearly tries to have his own supervillain act, with his stand-out white science officer outfit, his own personal elite guard, custom ship and weapon, and spends most of the movie getting clowned on by everyone up to Darth Vader making a dad joke.

Seems to be a theme with that and the sequels about how a lot of fascists are just clownish power-grabbers, and that makes them no less dangerous.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

FreshFeesh posted:

I was watching an entirely forgettable action flick called American Assassin yesterday, and one moment actually made me nod in satisfied appreciation.

At one point someone is lowered a steel cable from a helicopter as a means of escape. They wrap it around themselves and I was all set to remark how a cable like that would crush him if it were just looped around his torso – instead the character starts the motion of tying a bowline in the cable, which every Boy Scout and rescue worker is taught to do. It cuts away before the action is finished, but it felt like the editors left in just enough to give a nod that "this character knows what he's doing" for those who also have that knowledge.

i watched that movie too -- the technical stuff seemed like someone knew what they were doing but the plot was trash.

im a huge fan of michael keaton though.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Powaqoatse posted:

i watched that movie too -- the technical stuff seemed like someone knew what they were doing but the plot was trash.

im a huge fan of michael keaton though.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. Keaton was great, particularly during the torture scene, and I was actually impressed by how the opening scene was shot. The story, writing, and characters? Ugh.

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011
Seems like a good place to share this one here since the cotton thing from Get Out was one of the most talked about "little things" in this movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBvcngHRTFg

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Krispy Wafer posted:

I always respected the older solider who fights Indy on the truck. He's grizzled and resourceful, maybe a veteran of the Kaiser's war. Even after all his men are thrown from the truck, he's still single-minded in his determination.

That's the thing about good action movies, there's actual care taken in casting the bad guys. Die Hard is another example. They're all Eurotrash (plus 1 Asian and 1 Black), but they're distinctive looking Eurotrash with personalities. I'd add the Nazis in Inglorious Basterds to that list as well.

In Die Hard they intentionally cast tall actual ballet dancers that could move around gracefully to make Bruce Willis look more like a dumpy underdog.

e: Edited in the film title in case any amish-cavemen were confused

Pneub has a new favorite as of 08:42 on Dec 3, 2017

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

One I haven't seen mentioned in a while. In Fight Club, when the narrator first meets Tyler Durden on the plane, Tyler has to squeeze past to get out of his seat and says "Do I give you the rear end or the crotch?" He gives the narrator the rear end.

A moment later he squeezes past a stewardess in the aisle and gives her the crotch.

Judoon Platoon
Nov 1, 2010

Inescapable Duck posted:

Also funny that the villain of Rogue One clearly tries to have his own supervillain act, with his stand-out white science officer outfit, his own personal elite guard, custom ship and weapon, and spends most of the movie getting clowned on by everyone up to Darth Vader making a dad joke.

I love his cloak. He so badly wants to look like a total badass like Vader but his cloak spends the entire movie being blown into his own face or getting soaked and sticking to him. It’s the most pathetic thing.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Inescapable Duck posted:

Oh, absolutely. Hans Landa is basically Nazi Sherlock Holmes and practically the star of the movie.

Hell I never got the impression he was even a true believer. But he had a calling in life and the party was his ticket to ride so by god he did.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Hell I never got the impression he was even a true believer. But he had a calling in life and the party was his ticket to ride so by god he did.

Are you trying to say he was "only doing his job/following orders"? :v:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Inescapable Duck posted:

Seems to be a theme with that and the sequels about how a lot of fascists are just clownish power-grabbers, and that makes them no less dangerous.

I watched this movie in a drunken haze so when did this happen lmao. Cuz it sounds absolutely hilarious.

BioEnchanted posted:

More like if you're a teacher, you're gonna teach or you're an engineer you're gonna engineer. If Landa had been tasked to find people who actually deserved it ie actual criminals he'd have been a force for good. As it was he was an amoral, pragmatic and practical villain who was chasing people who had every moral right to flee him.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah I think he just loves hunting and torturing people with every fiber of his being and he's very good at it. Like he didn't even think he was doing the right thing, he just saw it as an easy way for him to really focus on his passion of being a loving monster. Like Mengele.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Milo and POTUS posted:

Even his comparison of Jews to rats didn't seem like a belief he held exclusively toward them, but to everyone he deemed to be below him. It seems "disdain toward everyone" is a quality Tarantino believes is especially agreeable to both that of the Nazi belief system, and someone with the skill-set of a Sherlock Holmes type.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui7DPpL7cq8

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

I watched this movie in a drunken haze so when did this happen lmao. Cuz it sounds absolutely hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeV6hXPr44k

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Auralnauts did a great version of that scene (and most of Vader's other movie scenes) where they dubbed in Anakin's original voice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrPPj3e2M-M

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Antivehicular posted:

Isn't it a major point in Inglorious Basterds that, other than Hans Lande, the Nazis are all given nuanced, "heroic"-style characterization (and several fall into distinct war-movie-hero tropes, like the noble self-sacrificing commander and the scared young guy with a wife and baby at home) and that the Basterds themselves are all given broad, crude characterization of the sort used for villains and thugs? At least, I always assumed that was a deliberate choice on Tarantino's part.

In Inglorious Basterds, Tarantino goes out of his way to humanize the bad guys all the way up to Goebbels and Hitler.

In Django Unchained, Tarantino rubs in how monstrous the bad guys are to the point of literally lecturing the audience on how much they deserve to die.

Watching peoples' attitudes flip between the two can be pretty telling.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Auralnauts did a great version of that scene (and most of Vader's other movie scenes) where they dubbed in Anakin's original voice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrPPj3e2M-M

Hearing that impresses me. Impresses me that the only one who could act worse than Hayden Christensen is... someone synthesizing Hayden Christensen.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

It's an interesting contrast that at the start Landa talks about how much he loves his nickname 'The Jew Hunter'. Then later when talking to Aldo he dismisses the name and implies he only works for the Nazis because they're the only game in town. It makes it impossible to work out his true feelings, other than being a ruthless self-serving pragmatist who'll say whatever he thinks will serve his purposes best.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

In Captain America: Civil War, at the beginning of the film, with Crossbones assault on the lab, Cap comes over a wall and lands on top of a truck in a pose that will be mirrored later on when Spider-Man does the same thing at the airport, including holding the shield.

And it's not subtle, but in the apartment building fight scene, when Bucky leaps off a balcony and the camera follows right after him is such a amazing shot.

And then Tony lecturing Cap for "rescuing" Wanda, when in fact, thanks to Tony, she's exchanged one prison (the Avengers compound) for another (The Raft prison). And both times, she's freed because of Cap (Cap sending Hawkeye on the first one, him coming for them in the second)

Davros1 has a new favorite as of 19:58 on Dec 3, 2017

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I've just seen Rogue One, and I can only agree. Wow, look at you Krennic, with your flowing cloak, and your black Stormtroopers with distorted voices. Aren't you just the cutest li'l Imperial ragamuffin?

Also, I'm always pleased to see people not understanding Rule One (Do not act incautiously when confronting little old smiling men.).

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Yestermoment posted:

Hearing that impresses me. Impresses me that the only one who could act worse than Hayden Christensen is... someone synthesizing Hayden Christensen.

They probably had to keep redoing the lines because their voice actor accidentally had too much charisma. "No no, more wooden! More wooden!!"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

jabby posted:

It's an interesting contrast that at the start Landa talks about how much he loves his nickname 'The Jew Hunter'. Then later when talking to Aldo he dismisses the name and implies he only works for the Nazis because they're the only game in town. It makes it impossible to work out his true feelings, other than being a ruthless self-serving pragmatist who'll say whatever he thinks will serve his purposes best.

The second time does happen after a timeskip to later in the war where things aren't going as great for the Nazis IIRC (even before we get alternate history), so it might indicate him trying to distance himself from what's likely to soon become a bad reputation to say the least.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They probably had to keep redoing the lines because their voice actor accidentally had too much charisma. "No no, more wooden! More wooden!!"

Pretty sure those were the actual directions Lucas kept giving Hayden Christensen. He was given a huge pile of poo poo in script form and then directed to dig through it until he hit bedrock. No one could've come away from the Anakin role smelling of daisies.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Rewatched Inglorious Basterds yesterday because of this thread, and I paid some attention to what names everyone gives each other to guess in the bar scene because I was sure there would be some significance. It did take a reddit thread for me to pick up on it, but Hellstrom gives Brigitte Horney to Hicox, who at this point is an actress you'd be very unlikely to know if you weren't German and living in Germany.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Pretty sure those were the actual directions Lucas kept giving Hayden Christensen.

"Slower and less intense"

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

George Lucas ruined the lives of two Anakins i guess. Thats pretty subtle

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Just sigh your lines, Hayden. Come on.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

My Lovely Horse posted:

Speaking of henchmen, Nathan Jones is apparently doing very well out of playing the Dumb American Brute in martial arts movies who throws and slams people but completely eats it when confronted with the hero's superior civilized fighting technique. I can appreciate someone finding their niche. And I kinda like how in Fearless his fight against Jet Li doesn't end with a decisive destructive blow, but with him recognizing his opponent's fairness and inner strength, coming to realize his own shortcomings and graciously accepting defeat. (Even though these modern Jet Li movies are all pretty overt political propaganda.)

He did a drat good turn as Rictus Erectus.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

jabby posted:

There's a pretty old interview with Tarantino where he discusses this. The general gist was that Landa would tell people what he thought they wanted to hear or what would make the most impact. I think ultimately Landa is in it for himself and doesn't give a poo poo about the Nazis, he's just hunting jews because he likes the chase.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Pretty sure those were the actual directions Lucas kept giving Hayden Christensen. He was given a huge pile of poo poo in script form and then directed to dig through it until he hit bedrock. No one could've come away from the Anakin role smelling of daisies.

There were a few set stories from those prequels and it was often how Christensen would ask Lucas if he could try a line out differently or if he could improv something. Essentially, just do anything to try and give a better performance, but Lucas didn't see anything wrong with what he was doing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lucas does three takes of a scene and then chooses the best. Every single time. Doesn't matter if those three takes are awful, that's all you're getting and then you go with the least awful.

His editing process is also insane. If you look at the deleted scenes from Attack of the Clones, they're often better than what was present in the actual film. They're not good, but they're better and they make Anakin and Padme come off like actual humans. Occasionally. Sporadically.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Arcsquad12 posted:

Lucas does three takes of a scene and then chooses the best. Every single time. Doesn't matter if those three takes are awful, that's all you're getting and then you go with the least awful.

It’s crazier than that. He’ll sometimes merge take and grab the “best” portion of each.

There’s actually a clip of him doing it on this behind the scenes about 45-46 minutes in

Happy Noodle Boy has a new favorite as of 22:54 on Dec 4, 2017

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

There's a pretty old interview with Tarantino where he discusses this. The general gist was that Landa would tell people what he thought they wanted to hear or what would make the most impact. I think ultimately Landa is in it for himself and doesn't give a poo poo about the Nazis, he's just hunting jews because he likes the chase.

I don't even think he does his job for the enjoyment. I think he does it for the material rewards. I'ts not like he's clamouring to set up a detective agency in America when he makes his deal with the Basterds. He just wants a bunch of money and nice stuff.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s crazier than that. He’ll sometimes merge take and grab the “best” portion of each.

There’s actually a clip of him doing it on this behind the scenes about 45-46 minutes in
The specific spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da8s9m4zEpo&t=2748s

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

jabby posted:

I don't even think he does his job for the enjoyment. I think he does it for the material rewards. I'ts not like he's clamouring to set up a detective agency in America when he makes his deal with the Basterds. He just wants a bunch of money and nice stuff.

I think that's his opportunism at play. After all the man did kill hitler. On the other hand, he was going to let the man who killed hitler get away with it. In short,

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think Landa needs to feel like he's winning, and everything, every interaction, every conversion he needs to be beating someone or outsmarting them or manipulating them in some way. He revels in hunting humans, and he revels in toying with them before he kills them.

In the dairy sequence in the beginning, he leads the conversation in English until he bemoans reaching the limits of his proficiency in the language, and announced it in a way that said explicitly that he is far more proficient in the language.

Landa believed that he had won at the end, that he had outsmarted the men that hunted him and instead got their bosses to give him a large sum of money and a nice house and make the basterds escort him there. What he failed to grasp is that the basterds don't care that they've been outsmarted, they carve a loving swastika in his forehead anyway because honestly who's going to mind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think Landa needs to feel like he's winning, and everything, every interaction, every conversion he needs to be beating someone or outsmarting them or manipulating them in some way.

What's his SA username?