Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

rujasu posted:

Shout has always been the main appeal, but I wouldn't say that's exactly true. When he debuted, he was easily the best 5* Support guy available. There weren't many alternatives in general at the time. I believe Tyro, Wakka, Fran, Red XIII, and Sazh were the main options. None did much damage, and other than Tyro nobody had much in the way of weapon selections. Ramza also showed up with Tailwind and Hail of Stones which were ahead of the curve at the time, so Shout wasn't even the only good SB you could get for him.

You forgot a few:

Faris was incredibly solid from the start. She had good SBs, a great weapon pool, and some great ability coverage outside of Support.
Gordon was... well Gordon. But he did have a decent ATK/MAG Breakdown SB for a few weeks before Ramza released.
Irvine was kind of a bad joke as a character but he was still a 5* Support.
Quina was similarly not a great character back then but they were an option.
Barret was around but was pretty garbage. Sadly, he's still garbage.
Setzer wasn't the powerhouse he is now but hey he was there.

Your point still mostly stands that Ramza was way more solid a character than most of those peeps when he came out but there wasn't a shortage of options at any rate. And these days most all of those characters have gotten really good relics to bring them up to his level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Quina also makes for a really strong Entruster option once they get their Dive even if you fail to pull his/her USB - his/her LM2 is a Trance that gives them the equivalent of a free SB bar, and his/her LMR is a Guts at the start of battle. So you can give them Mako Might, hit them with something like Meltdown at the start of the fight, and then Entrust two SBs to somebody in one action while being back up at full health.

Cowcaster posted:

edit: it doesn’t help that for like 5 lucky banners straight fft was on the docket, meaning we’re all fat on delicious fft soul breaks

I went 0/55 in terms of Tactics SBs during that streak. My Tactics synergy at the moment is limited to Ramza's Uniques, Ovelia's SSB and Gaff's BSB.

What can I say, I've never been particularly drawn to the realm and my LD pulls seem to reinforce that idea.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

Wild, unfounded prediction: we will never see another Cloud SB until they find a way to make Cloud USB power creeped.

Start giving characters an ultra legendary record dive that ends with a break damage limit node.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Shout out to the discord goons, who helped me pull off my first Fenrir clear after trying obsessively for the past couple of weeks!

Legend diving Shelke was 100% worth it. Thanks to her Sarah was able to dump mblinks and Edea was able to recast her USB over and over.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Actually did 2 pills on this banner, even though FFT is my strongest team.

5/22 Agrias LRM, Marche SSB, Meliadoul BSB
Ramza USB, Ramza BSB2

No dupes and Ramza might be pushing to be my top support now over OK :toot:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Man, I have no idea when I wanna burn these potions. On the one hand they're limited items so I wanna hoard em, on the other hand now that I'm up to 140 there's no really stamina-hungry stuff since that big retro dungeonfest ended. And the weekly refills are very cheap.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

You can't hoard stamina potions anyways, since you have a hard cap of 5 at a time. So don't feel like you gotta use them unless you actually have a reason to.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

gently caress

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

^^^drat, that is close, you can do it!

I'm just using them whenever I feel like playing more. Sometimes I get in a mood to do a bunch of magicites, or knock out some story dungeons. I like that I have the option to keep going sometimes, without spending mythril.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Man, I have no idea when I wanna burn these potions. On the one hand they're limited items so I wanna hoard em, on the other hand now that I'm up to 140 there's no really stamina-hungry stuff since that big retro dungeonfest ended. And the weekly refills are very cheap.

When in doubt use them on XP dungeons.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

hey thanks ability buffs!

Also ended up doing my first dive to beat Adel. LD Lightning really lays a beatdown!

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Let's try to make this a weekly thing. I won't review banner 2s since they're mostly old tech but let's look at what we're getting from next week's event.

Next up is IX with the anticipated Vivi USB. But what about everything else?

Disclaimer:
-I'm assuming a high amount of hones (5* R4+ / 6* R3+ for USB use). For new players BSBs are a good source of hone extension but it will not be considered.
-Relics are tied to a character so they are considered together IE. someone gets an en-Ice USB but has no access to ice abilities. That relic won't get rated too highly.
-I don't hold imperils in high regard, adjust accordingly if you do.
-I won't list entry hits/multipliers unless there's something special about them.

Garnet USB. AoE Lit/NE, en-Lit, party mag/mnd +30 and auto cast Judgement Bolt every 3,5 seconds which is a 2hit AoE for about the same multiplier as the 3* summon Ramuh. This is good. It's not an insane damage beast but you can't expect a buffing SB to be on the same output level as pure damage ones (unless your name is Cid Raines).

The bad news is what she'll be doing with that en-lit since she can't use BLK and there's no 5* lit summon. At least she has Tritoch but having enough hones on a Tritoch to last an entire battle is a tall order.

Looking at Garnet the auto-cast "chase" fits her perfectly. She doesn't have enough juice to utilize an actual chase so she can wield Allegro con Moto or something in the second ability slot and be a hybrid damage/support character.

The entry is quite high multiplier despite being AoE which is a nice bonus.

This is a good thing but it takes a bit of a weird setup to get proper effect.

Steiner USB. Then we have this thing. This... thing. First off the bat we have a + holy 6* sword which is great. Entry is ST tri-element, none of which are holy (fire/lit/ice). Self Res +100% and this weird rear end EX mode that grants enfire/-ice/-lit when an ally hits Steiner with the corresponding magical attack.

:psyduck:

So in theory Steiner wants to be a tri-element spellblade and be casting spellblades of those corresponding elements and he does a fine job at it. Problem is he does a fine job and unless you're just starting your record keeping journey you want someone who does a great or an excellent job at it and can double/quick cast.

Vivi USB. 6* +fire staff. ST Fire/NE entry, self MAG/RES+30%, enfire and 100% double cast abilities using 2 hones. It goes without saying that everything will be burnt to a crisp with this but let's consider Vivi's LM2 is 50% double cast trance, stacking with this USB.

Vivi is a monster who can also hit Ice/Water/Wind/Earth/Poison/Lightning like a truck.

This is a beastly USB. Dive him if you get this. Maybe dive him even if you don't get this because of the LM2 and the BLK element coverage.

Steiner BSB2. Here we go again. ST Fire/Lit/Ice, self Sentinel (...). CMD1 is 4xST Fire/Lit/Ice with worse multipliers than abilities and CMD2 is 2xAoE with same elements.

CMD1 can have niche use in some rotating weakness fights since you only have two ability slots. CMD2 is a decent AoE option though Frost Strike has higher multiplier.

This is not where you want to be with your BSBs these days.

Garnet BSB2. +lit staff. Party atk/mag +30, aoe imperil lit. This a hybrid heal/dps SB of the "toggle" type.

CMD1:
Off: 40% Max HP Heal to One Ally, Summon Mode On
On: 2x Lightning/Non AoE Hits + Party 30% Medica, Summon Mode Off

CMD2:
Off: 4hit ST lit/NE
On: 5hit ST lit/Ne

The entry is fine because it buffs and CMD1 is fine as a party bonus heal. CMD2 is good since she has trouble with hones as. Using CMD2 is slightly worse than using Chain Thundaga (which is kind of a moot comparison since she can't use it but to give you an idea).

This is not the worst but finding a use for it can be challenging. And yeah it doesn't do any damage on entry despite imperiling.

Vivi BSB2. AoE fire/lit/ice, party mag/res +30. CMD1 4xFire/lit/ice CMD2 2xAoE fire/NE and self mag+30 def-30.

This is the kind of entry you want to see from a BSB, damage and an effect. The buff is great and CMD2 giving you more mag is great and it gets you and AoE option for those fights since BLK can't do weakness hitting respectable AoE damage. CMD1 can have niche use in some rotating weakness fights since you only have two ability slots. CMD1 multiplier is of course quite a bit weaker than Chain Firaga/Blizzaga/Thundaga.

Oh, and Burst Commands don't trigger the USB Ability Double.

Eiko BSB. Medica, party crit fix to 50%. CMD1 Curaja+Pblink CMD2 medica. Excellent. What you want from BSBs is things you can't just do better with abilities and this fits the bill perfectly. Party crit fix is rare and it being attached to a useful thing like party heal is great. CMD1 having a Pblink is great tech even if it's not instant.

Garnet LMR. +30% stat buff duration. Not great. Garnet's not really a SB juggler like Ramza can be.

Eiko LMR. 25% double cast white. Double casting Curaja is nasty and the triggered dual cast auto re-targets the lowest hp party member. Great. Remember to use stamps in MP when your/someone else's Proshellga gets dual cast.

Vivi LMR. +fire hat. Cast speed slowed to 77% and damage 25% up. This is what Vivi wants, to hit super hard and double cast those hits. Excellent. You can always pair him up with a noncharge spreader like Noctis or Ramza to go faster. Or give him Thunder God's Might.

Garnet SSB2. Party mag/def +30% and 3000 hp stock. Fine CM tool.

Steiner SSB. AoE imperil fire. Go away Steiner.

So this is a bit better rounded than the X-1 water park at least. Vivi was supposed to be the one seeking his purpose but he seems pretty set on being a god of destruction while Steiner is extremely confused.

Personally 0 dupes but still no pull since I have Terra with USB/OSB who serves a similar role to Vivi. If you need a multi element all star Vivi is a good choice to chase.

(bonus from banner2, Steiner LMR. 20% chance for minor fire imperil. So the tri-element boy gets a single element LMR which is bad to begin with. Go away Steiner.

E: Added a format someone might actually understand to Garnet BSB2 commands and fixed the heal error, thanks YoshiOfYellow

Neutral Zone Trap fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 2, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Since we're talking about the IX event, the two new dives are Garnet and Eiko. Like the rest of the main IX cast, their LM2s are Trances (the two outliers Beatrix and Kuja get doublecast LM2s instead). Their trances are both similar too; MAG/MND+30% and 1/2 cast speed. This is excellent with their BSBs and for Eiko to keep the party healthy (or to throw physical blinks from her CMD1), but Garnet can have trouble using it if she's not off-healing due to the lack of summon hones.

Vivi's BSB2 is purely powercrept by Montblanc's which comes out in a few days, but Vivi has the better tech from his Dive.

I have five dupes on banner 1, but I'm throwing two pulls at least to try to get all the new toys.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

BGrifter posted:

Ramza LMR is so good. :stare:

I mean, I knew it was considered one of the better ones, but drat it feels so right.

Edit: ProTip: remember to unequip Shout once you have Super Shout or you'll reflexively hit it several times. :doh:

It's one of those that look good on paper, but feels even better when you have it.
Also, if you have too many of his SBs, optimize will prioritize Shout1 over Chant if you hit optimize (don't hit optimize)

Fister Roboto posted:

Start giving characters an ultra legendary record dive that ends with a break damage limit node.
I think we should give that to Terra.

edit: On Garnet, most of the time she's on my team she's using her BSB2. I know we're moving away from the BSB meta, but I think she'll be rewarded for using that and mixing it with her USB once it arrives.

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 2, 2017

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I'm definitely going to try for Vivi's stuff, it all sounds great and I need a true magical nuke; been running physical teams for basically the entire game. Plus I definitely could give him 5* motes right away. It's an excellent investment, I only hope I get lucky.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Finally did a magicite under 30s: Bismarck with ashe and shantotto(csb, bsb). Both dove. Man did they whoop his rear end when they got going. Had Ramza and OK on buff and wrath+entrust duty.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Thanks to what I learned from clearing Fenrir, I was able to swap out my ice DPS for Tifa and Ingus, and punched Hydra until he exploded. Tifa's BSB and OSB hit a lot harder with two attack buffs, and Ingus wasn't doing a TON, but he was definitely contributing. Eiko's crit-fix on her BSB was great. Then I updated all of my other magicite teams and got Sealion and Bismarck down to ~40 seconds and finally got my second clear on Liquid Flame and Golem.

Sarah isn't the best healer, but mblink and using Allegra con Moto made her a lynchpin for the magicites I cleared with a mage team.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Eiko LMR. 25% double cast white. Double casting Curaja is nasty and the triggered dual cast auto re-targets the lowest hp party member. Great. Remember to use stamps in MP when your/someone else's Proshellga gets dual cast.

Which stamp do you recommend? I'm partial to "Fungahhh!" but also have been known to use "..." at times like this.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

bilperkins2 posted:

Which stamp do you recommend? I'm partial to "Fungahhh!" but also have been known to use "..." at times like this.

I recommend the "On defense" stamp for your own and "..." for everyone else's.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Spikey posted:

gently caress

Try tapping pause whenever an action becomes available so you don't waste any time on deciding what action to take

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I recommend the "On defense" stamp for your own and "..." for everyone else's.

"Happy New Year!"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

bilperkins2 posted:

CHAIN INCOMING!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Garnet BSB2. +lit staff. Party atk/mag +30, aoe imperil lit. This a hybrid heal/dps SB of the "toggle" type. CMD1 is a 40% max hp party heal that activates the toggle. CMD 2 is 4 hit ST Lit/NE. With toggle on CMD 1 adds a a 2xAoE hit but removes the toggle and heals a bit less. CMD2 gains a fifth hit under toggle (using CMD 2 does not "untoggle").

It's a bit weird to describe.

The entry is fine because it buffs and CMD1 is fine as a party bonus heal. CMD2 is good since she has trouble with hones as. Using CMD2 is slightly worse than using Chain Thundaga (which is kind of a moot comparison since she can't use it but to give you an idea).

This is not the worst but finding a use for it can be challenging. And yeah it doesn't do any damage on entry despite imperiling.

Just to clarify here a bit on the numbers:

CMD1:
Off: 40% Max HP Heal to One Ally, Summon Mode On
On: 2x Lightning/Non AoE Hits + Party 30% Medica

Garnet's BSB2 isn't the best raw damage tool but the tradeoff is a lot of utility between the Imperil & Buffs on entry and the emergency oh poo poo healing on the CMD1.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
I'm a total newbie and just did my first Banner Relic draw. I did pretty good and got Aeris's Keepsake Ribbon and Zack's Buster Sword (VII-CC). I assume this means I should use one of my Hero Souls to pull Zack and wreck everything now?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

dragon_pamcake posted:

I'm a total newbie and just did my first Banner Relic draw. I did pretty good and got Aeris's Keepsake Ribbon and Zack's Buster Sword (VII-CC). I assume this means I should use one of my Hero Souls to pull Zack and wreck everything now?

Oh. You just pulled on the Newcomers banners, didn't you...? :negative:

First, I'll get the "good" news out of the way: Out of all of the things you could have drawn, Planet Protector is at least usable, in a pinch. It's the strongest tier of Attack boost even on newer stuff, though unlike newer stuff that's all it does. The Keepsake Ribbon's a good piece of equipment, too, offers really high MND for how old it is.

But the bad news: The stuff you pulled is two years old and powercreeped into obsolescence. You could pull Zack but he's not gonna perform too hot; his early stuff was bleh at best and his good stuff is largely not on that banner. The Newcomers banners are a giant trap because all of the Unique-tier soul breaks have both been power creeped out of use and aren't even available on newer banners any more. In "exchange", those banners don't have anything newer than about a year old, which includes most 6* relics and even some newer BSBs.

If you haven't already linked your account to anything I'd suggest burning down and starting over, pulling on a better banner (The FFTA one we have going is actually exceptional, and the FFX ones aren't too shabby either). If you have linked your account, then it's not really the end of the world that you spent that 25 mythril, but I'd advise going for other banners in the future.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 2, 2017

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

dragon_pamcake posted:

KataraniSword posted:

Oh. You just pulled on the Newcomers banners, didn't you...? :negative:

First, I'll get the "good" news out of the way: Out of all of the things you could have drawn, Planet Protector is at least usable, in a pinch. It's the strongest tier of Attack boost even on newer stuff, though unlike newer stuff that's all it does. The Keepsake Ribbon's a good piece of equipment, too, offers really high MND for how old it is.

But the bad news: The stuff you pulled is two years old and powercreeped into obsolescence. You could pull Zack but he's not gonna perform too hot; his early stuff was bleh at best and his good stuff is largely not on that banner. The Newcomers banners are a giant trap because all of the Unique-tier soul breaks have both been power creeped out of use and aren't even available on newer banners any more. In "exchange", those banners don't have anything newer than about a year old, which includes most 6* relics and even some newer BSBs.

If you haven't already linked your account to anything I'd suggest burning down and starting over, pulling on a better banner (The FFTA one we have going is actually exceptional, and the FFX ones aren't too shabby either). If you have linked your account, then it's not really the end of the world that you spent that 25 mythril, but I'd advise going for other banners in the future.

Everything KataraniSword says is correct. You unfortunately pulled on a "sucker" banner.

Seriously, gently caress DeNA for keeping those banners around.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

Oh. You just pulled on the Newcomers banners, didn't you...? :neg:

Would it be possible to update the OP to include this? I don't mind starting over, but it kind of sucks that the Newcomer Banners are traps. I'll be damned if I'm not spending one of my Hero Souls on Gilgamesh again though.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ybrik posted:

Anyone wanna trade their Buglar Sword for my Durandal?

No?

I'll see myself out.

I actually would do this if I could fwiw, I pulled three Burglar Swords in three 11-pulls

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

dragon_pamcake posted:

Would it be possible to update the OP to include this? I don't mind starting over, but it kind of sucks that the Newcomer Banners are traps. I'll be damned if I'm not spending one of my Hero Souls on Gilgamesh again though.

It absolutely sucks and when they first rolled out (It was about August?) there was a big kerfuffle in the thread by two or three people insisting that No, Even Old 5* Relics are good for synergy. They were bad then and they're even worse now.

It's not the end of the world, like I said, but literally any other banner is going to have better chances at giving you the tools you would want on hand to start working up to the point where you actually care about maximizing synergy bonuses. Soul Breaks aren't the be-all, end-all of gameplay any more, but a lot of veterans seem to forget that you sometimes need that extra push upward to get to creating the 5* abilities that are the core of the current end-game stuff.

The problem with updating OPs on 650 page threads is I'm not even sure if the OP creator is active in-game any more. :thunk:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It actually might be time for a new thread anyway. A lot has changed in the past year.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Ramza's BSB2 being better than shout in every way is probably a good sign of how far the game has gone, even with other changes on the horizon.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Fister Roboto posted:

It actually might be time for a new thread anyway. A lot has changed in the past year.

I would totally vote for a new thread. Even as a guy who's been around a while the long breaks I've taken have meant digging through a lot of old pages for content. :)

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

If we get a new thread, I'm voting for tossing that 5* mote chart in the OP because I'm a huge dumbass that keeps forgetting to just save the image every time someone posts it.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
Oh my god it is a pain in the rear end to reset this game on android devices. I had to use Bluestacks and a second Google account.

Anything else I should be aware of besides only draw from event banners?

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

If we get a new thread, I'm voting for tossing that 5* mote chart in the OP because I'm a huge dumbass that keeps forgetting to just save the image every time someone posts it.

Speaking of, it was recently updated:

https://twitter.com/onworld1/status/936130161874894848

If you scroll through the replies, there are variations that separate different types of LM2s - the * mote chart with just dualcast LMs is pretty nice too, and a chart of all the dualcast LMs by ability/element https://twitter.com/onworld1/status/936130301004103680.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 2, 2017

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

dragon_pamcake posted:

Oh my god it is a pain in the rear end to reset this game on android devices. I had to use Bluestacks and a second Google account.

Anything else I should be aware of besides only draw from event banners?

Lucky draw banners are still probably worth pulling on, especially if you are new. They are half-price and they show up once per month when the new dungeon updates drop, and sometimes there's more than one in a month but I haven't paid enough attention to know if there's a pattern to that or not. The relic pools aren't as focused as event banners and there's always a lot of potential chaff in them, but unlike the newcomer banners you have a chance to get very powerful, up-to-date relics and they are very good for accumulating cheap stat sticks early on.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think a good general rule of thumb is that if there isn't a scrolling list of relics, it's not worth paying full price for. Obviously there are exceptions, like the recent Black Friday pull, but not having a scrolling list means that the pool is way too big to predictably get something useful.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

rule 1 is never pull
rule 2 is also never pull

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Prav posted:

rule 1 is never pull
rule 2 is also never always pull

:colbert: